1. You are currently viewing a section that predates the release of FFXIV:ARR and the information you see here is most likely outdated and/or useless.
  1. FFXIV Reset Timers
    Last daily reset was 21 hours, 51 minutes ago / Next daily reset is in 2 hours, 8 minutes
    Last weekly reset was 1 days, 14 hours, 51 minutes ago / Next weekly reset is in 4 days, 19 hours, 8 minutes
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Graphics Question     submit to reddit submit to twitter

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Graphics Question

The shading on FFXIV on my new PC looks funny. How do I fix it?
    Giant image, sorry~

http://bucket.bluegartr.com/52e0dd28...70074b6048.jpg

If you look at her face, the shading isn't smooth at all, and it looks pretty ugly.
    I have a Radeon HD 7870 video card and an i5 3750k processor, windows 7 x64 whatever too, if that matters.

Display mode:
    windowed

1920x1080 window size

no Multisampling

drawing quality 10

BG quality 5

Shadows standard

no amient occlusion, no depth of field

texture quality high

texture filtering highest

F5 Like A Boss.
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kuroki Kaze
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Twisting Nether

This is what the game looks like for me. i7 930 @3.75GHz, Sapphire HD7850, 24GB RAM.

Display mode: Windowed
    Resolution: 1600x900
    Multisampling: 16xQ CSAA
    General Draw: 8 (Standard) - anything higher is too taxing and barely noticeable.
    Background Draw: 3 (Standard) - same as above.
    Shadows: Highest
    Ambient Occlusion: OFF - will literally halve your FPS. Not worth it.
    Depth of Field: ON
    Texture Quality: Standard - lowered today to see the difference and it's not noticeable from Highest. (noticeable on the map. A bit blurry)
    Texture Quality: Standard - lowered today to see the difference and it's not noticeable from Highest.

Here are my Catalyst Settings (this is important).

If you need help fine tuning just IM me. AIM name is in profile. Also, update your graphics driver (use beta).

Same Issue

I have the same issue with shaders, except I'm on Nvidia cards (GTX 570 HD 2560MBx2 in SLI). I have all my settings set to the exact same as yours, yet my shaders look like the OP's. Any suggestions?

F5 Like A Boss.
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kuroki Kaze
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Twisting Nether

Is this a problem only with XIV?

- Completely uninstall your graphics drivers using driver sweeper/revo/etc and install the latest ones.
    - Make sure the card is properly seated in the PCI-E slot. Move it to a different slot if possible.

It's related solely to FFXIV. It's been this way since release. I've switched my cards around several times in the past two years and nothing's changed. I don't have artifacting or any problems whatsoever during gameplay. The only issue I have is the shading looking like that.

Yoshi P
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Fitz Everleigh
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

Chiming in, I have a GTX 570 and have the shader issue as well and it's limited to XIV; will have to check settings when I get home. I also have a stutter that happens when I'm chocobo back/running where the screens starts jerking and it looks like the game is stuttering but if I adjust the camera angle it usually takes care of it. Anyone know how to fix that issue as well? <_>

Quote Originally Posted by TacoTaru View Post
    I also have a stutter that happens when I'm chocobo back/running where the screens starts jerking and it looks like the game is stuttering but if I adjust the camera angle it usually takes care of it. Anyone know how to fix that issue as well? <_>
    Same issue here. On my original PC, I had the same issue when I was using a GTX 460. My FPS will go from 60 to 59 momentarily randomly while moving about regardless of what's on screen. This has always happened while playing.

F5 Like A Boss.
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kuroki Kaze
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Twisting Nether

Quote Originally Posted by TacoTaru View Post
    Chiming in, I have a GTX 570 and have the shader issue as well and it's limited to XIV; will have to check settings when I get home. I also have a stutter that happens when I'm chocobo back/running where the screens starts jerking and it looks like the game is stuttering but if I adjust the camera angle it usually takes care of it. Anyone know how to fix that issue as well? <_>
    I've had that issue for god knows how long... Don't think theres a way to fix or if there will be a way to fix it in the future besides the obvious 2.0.

As for the shader issue... Not sure what to say. Try using different beta drivers. Also make sure that you drivers aren't OCing the cards (for ATI this is called Overdrive, not sure for NVidia).

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Tearshang Pourlamour
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

I fixed this issue on my PC by turning shadows to lowest quality. Used to drive me crazy. Have GTX 560 Ti.

Crackodactyl
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Odin

I had this problem. My setup was a 60 dollar mobo and 90 dollar AMD quad core, with a 560ti FTW stuck in there. Upgraded a week ago to an asrock extreme4, i5 3570k, 8 gigs corsair vengeance..... GPU and everything else stayed the same and suddenly those shading problems were gone. Maybe the wiping of the hard drive and reinstalling everything fixed it. Maybe its the latest nvidia beta drivers. Maybe something with the new parts. Dunno really but the same problem used to bug the shit out of me.

Shader issues aside, the problem mentioned above regarding stuttering every few seconds while moving/turning the camera angle seems to be frame skipping from what I've been able to find. Apparently it seems to be an engine problem because it was happening on my old PC and my new one. My FPS stays right around 60 with pretty high settings and the frame skipping happens regardless of where I'm at. It's about every 2-4 steps that it happens and I really can't stand it, so I'm going to unsub until 2.0 and hope it's fixed by then (it's been happening since release).

I can assure you it's not my rig or drivers. My first rig was around a grand when FFXI came out and while it wasn't high end, my new rig built this time last year was top of the line, all premiere, custom parts (around $5,000 USD when it was finished). I've been testing out every set of Nvidia drivers since I built it and the stuttering has still occurred. I've even tried clean installing and playing it on both my HDD and SSD. I've tried the game with all settings on lowest even though I have two 570s and it had no effect. I've tried playing with both SLI enabled and disabled, along with every type of Nvidia Control Panel setting combination. I've also tried with my cards in different PCI slots too.

It has to be the engine. With one 570, I can run the game with all settings high at full screen while maintaining 50-60 FPS and the stutter effect still occurs. It's exclusive to FFXIV so I know it's not a problem with my cards or hardware.

Smells like Onions
    BG Level

Disable character shadows in the game. Either thru Configuration > System > Character Shadows or by typing /shadow off.

It's sooo veiny
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Arch Dizzle
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

Graphics Question

That stops the stutter issue?