Black Mage
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Amiricle Mihgo
    FFXIV Server
    Midgardsormr
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

GW2 Random Class Discussion: Why can't I tame a Deathstar to be my pet?

Quote Originally Posted by Kachiko View Post
    Sword/Pistol and Greatsword is a really good PvE DPS spec. When you get to lvl 40, get 15 in Dueling, for Phantasmal Fury & Sharper Images, and then work up to 20, in Illusions, for Compounding Power and Illusionist Celerity. This lets your clones bleed on critical hits, they have 20% critical chance, and they attack 20% faster. Just with the bleeding alone, my undergeared Mesmer started slaughtering even leveled mobs and at 45, it's even better. The rest of the build will be 15 in Chaos and 15 in Inspiration to give my clones Phantasmal Healing (AoE regeneration) and Illusionary Membrane (Protection on regeneration) for survivability, leaving you with 5 points left over to spend wherever you want.
    Very good suggestions, but one change I'd make is to put your first 10 into chaos to have access to 'descent into madness' when running around. 50% less falling damage lets you drop from pretty high up, and when doing jumping puzzles/vistas that with portal let's you make a personal checkpoint for a tricky jump.

Old Merits
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Quote Originally Posted by arus2001 View Post
    I can usually comfortably take 2 mobs at a time, and depending the mobs themselves, sometimes up to 6 with good maneuverability. Axe actually seems better if you don't use the 3 and 4 skill, instead using 2 as your opener then just auto-attacking the mob to death unless you get a good pack and wanna pop 5. I've dumped all my skills into Power/Precision and run with all signets up on the right bar. I gear also for the noted stats if I can help it. If your gear isn't behind, you shouldn't be having too much difficulty aside from the types of mobs you'd expect to lay the pain like champs/bosses.

I haven't hopped back to GS to see how it feels at 53, though. Figured I may as well get the 5k axe kills since I'm at like 3k+ now. Only other weapon I haven't mentioned that I use for niche purposes is a rifle. If it's something I know I can't melee, odds are I can just kite it in small circles using the snare shot and plinking away. It's fucking cheesy, but I blame Anet being harsh against melees with some of their lacking telegraphy on moves. And since I'm pretty much walking proof you don't need all the stuns and shit for basic PvE, stuff like Maces and Hammers are useless to me even though I carry them "just in case" for a scenario I've yet to hit.
    Leveled to 50, I'm still using GS, it just obliterates everything non-veteran, Hundred blades easily hits for 3-4k+ and Whirlwind for 1-2k, autoattack swings hit for 400-600, usually the two of them back to back kills everything if it's in my level range, the only time I switch weapons is when I'm alone against a Skill Point mob or something like that, then I switch to rifle and try to kite it.

I have a similar build, right now I'm at 10 Power (with the 12% DMG when you have full adrenaline) 20 arms with the 40 precision per signet and the skill that gives you Might every time you crit with a Greatsword and 10 in Discipline with 9% crit on full adrenaline.

I'd like to try something different, but I can't find anything that matches the kill speed of GS, as long as I'm not surrounded by ranged mobs I barely take any damage because everything dies so fast...

The Spooniest of Bards
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lucian Esperance
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Shiva

Whatcha guys doin for Thief?

The Defense is ready, Your Honor
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lord Longhaft
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus
    WoW Realm
    Mug'thol

Popular consensus for PVP is to spam heartseeker until your finger gets cramped.

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Shiva
    WoW Realm
    Stormrage

Quote Originally Posted by Lucavi View Post
    Popular consensus for PVP is to spam heartseeker until your finger gets cramped.
    That really only works in pug 8v8 against players with glass cannons, which is why you see so many of them. It's so easy to avoid and the players going with this spec have sub 1k toughness. Load up conditions on them from range and watch them melt.

Both in PVE and PVP, how squishy are cloth classes, really?
    I pretty much like the whole idea behind Mesmer, but I am scared it may be 2-shotted once an enemy manages to connect. The concept behind "glass cannons" can vary from game to game, so I don't know how much armor counts in.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ramuh

The amount of times I've thought I was sneaking up on a mesmer only to have them poof into a bunch of stupid butterflies. Between clones providing some distraction (possibly not a huge amount, it doesnt take much to look around the field and pick out the real one), teleports and invisibilities it seems like mesmers do pretty well to survive. Elementalists seem to have a lot of mobility but once they're pinned they do go down quite quickly in my experience, but also seem to pump out a lot more damage in a short time than the other two light armour classes. Necromancers seem to be the most squishy of the three, i've not encountered a necromancer yet that I've had notable difficulties with (although its possible the ones I've fought arent built very well).

That being said, i'd say my engineer is probably at least as squishy as them and getting a lot of mobility requires quite a lot of tradeoffs being as most engineer packs dont seem to really contribute in that respect (elixir gun gives a good move where you jump backwards, can't really think of other mobility enhancers from packs), theyre more about different types of damage. As a result I generally have been using a condition build focussing on my weapon skills and dedicating my optional skills to survival, in the form of elixirs giving stun protection, endurance and speed/power buffs.

Edit: As for the glass cannon idea, it really depends how you build the class. I think pretty much anyone in GW2 can glass cannon but it comes at a rather hefty cost to your defences. I haven't really found myself struggling to down glass cannon players being as I can drop a bunch of conditions on them and then CC and escape if it's 1v1.

Black Mage
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Amiricle Mihgo
    FFXIV Server
    Midgardsormr
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Quote Originally Posted by Tomino View Post
    I pretty much like the whole idea behind Mesmer, but I am scared it may be 2-shotted once an enemy manages to connect. The concept behind "glass cannons" can vary from game to game, so I don't know how much armor counts in.
    I don't find myself to be very squishy at all but I built my traits/gear for that. It's kinda like nin in ffxi where I can solo a veteran or a mob 10 levels higher, but I go down super fast to 8 even matches at once.

Haven't done too much pvp but mesmer is probably the hardest to kill 1v1. In a group you don't offer too much heals but bring a lot of buffs/conditions.

Edit: hardest to kill of the clothies. Engineers & guardians are tougher nuts to crack imo.

Nikkei's Hoe
    Worse than her at uno

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Eanae Hikari
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus
    WoW Realm
    Hyjal

Warrior general PVE build I'm considering messing around with. Opinions?

http://www.guildhead.com/skill-calc#...aRmxpf00VsbVao

CustomTitle
    Banned for Duping
    HOT LITTLE SNATCH

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Jam Valesti
    FFXIV Server
    Leviathan

Probably puts out ridiculous damage but the lack of any sort of damage mitigation might make anything more than single targets (or vets/champs) a bit of a struggle. Don't really have any experience with dungeons but I can't imagine it'll fly very well there either. I know you specified PvE but PvP with that would be a definite no-no.

Edit: Derp, didn't see endure pain, was just looking at the right hand side. The high cooldown on that is still a little bit concerning though. I'm closing in on 60 now and taking a bunch of mobs at once can already be a little rough sometimes and I have multiple Blind and Aegis skills for mitigation.

Nikkei's Hoe
    Worse than her at uno

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Eanae Hikari
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus
    WoW Realm
    Hyjal

In general farming and dynamic events I can take 3-4 level 80 mobs at a time with proper dodging with an even more glass cannon build than this. For dungeons I'd most likely need a little more defensive gear, especially as a melee. My first concern gear wise is general use stuff to farm gold/karma though.

Edit: debating dropping 5 points from strength and 5 from arms to throw 10 into discipline for movement speed as well.

The Spooniest of Bards
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lucian Esperance
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Shiva

Quote Originally Posted by Lucavi View Post
    Probably should've specified, but more so for PvE atm.

So better question! What builds are you guys doing for PvE for Thief?

A. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

Quote Originally Posted by Tomino View Post
    Squishy is mostly how you play it and what mobs you are up against. If they are all ranged, a mesmer is going down due to the cloth armor, but if they all try to walk up and hit you, you're going to be able to survive by pumping out clones and dodging properly. I soloed a lvl 80 Champion Norn, in lvl 70 green gear, at lvl 78, and that was with two veteran Quaggans spawning twice. Sure, it took a really long time, but if you know the class and are up against the right enemies, you'll never get hit. That being said, I'm not exactly a glass cannon, as my traits are either 15 or 20 in 4/5 trait trees, but I certainly wouldn't call Mesmer a tank. God I hate those elite Icebrood Wolfs, in the Claw of Jormag event.

Impossiblu
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Prothescar Centursa
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

Thinking about these builds for Guardian:

Solo/Out of Dungeon PvE

Dungeon PvE

Offensive PvP

Support PvP

Huge works in progress since I haven't played with 3/4 of these yet, and was just winging it with the skill builder.

Yarglebargle
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

Any suggestions for Thief in sPvP? I'm trying not to glass cannon but I still get absolutely wrecked by Guardians or anybody that can hold me in place because Thief only has 1 condition removal skill not counting the healing move (and then you have to choose between DoTs and Pinning moves). I tried to counter this by putting on the sigil that has a 60% chance to remove a condition on critical but fucking Guardians kill me so fast I barely have time to hit my healing move if they manage to pin me. Starting to seriously think that dagger has very little utility in pvp if you're not glass cannon-ing.

Quote Originally Posted by Eanae View Post
    Warrior general PVE build I'm considering messing around with. Opinions?

http://www.guildhead.com/skill-calc#...aRmxpf00VsbVao
    For dungeons i'd replace the elite signet with war banner, being able to revive stupids from downed in 2s can be a lifesaver.

Personally i'd replace Berserker's Stance with Dual Wield in your traits and i am not a fan of Endure Pain for anything so i would replace that with "On my Mark!".
    Depending on your group's comp, shake it off is nice, if you have cleansing combo i'd change it with some kind of interrupt or control "Fear Me!" and Stomp come to mind.

E. Body
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Arximiro Dragonheart
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus

On warrior if I am dual wielding axes, can I put the same sigil on both for example, 20% chance in crit to steal health. Does the chance go up to 40%? What if I have that sigil on only one weapon, does it only apply to crits with that weapon? ty

CustomTitle
    Banned for Duping
    HOT LITTLE SNATCH

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Jam Valesti
    FFXIV Server
    Leviathan

Only applies to attacks with that weapon. Stat boosts cover both though (IE if it has +50 power on it, that'll count for both weapons).

Puppetmaster
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus

Just picked up the game can't decide between warrior or guardian, anyone have tips or advice for which to do or one/builds, mainly looking for pve atm

I'm not safe on my island
    Nikkei will still get me.

BG Level

Hey karatex how does pvp usually go down for a guardian and in general? is the name of the game conditions, damage mitigation, burst damage? Is it even possible to comebine them effectively. I looked at guardian and what it seems to have the most of is burn, blind, aegis, and cc

Edit: i forgot to mention protrction and retaliation.

What boons/conditions do you consider the best tp focus on?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 26 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 14 ... LastLast