+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 26 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 17 ... LastLast
    Yarglebargle
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

Quote Originally Posted by Alderaan View Post
    Thieves that stack precision and power and + crit annoy the fuck out of me. It's all the gear they buy from our guilds crafters and we just shake our heads. They die so fucking fast it's ridiculous. I see them out in WvW with these specs from other servers as well while our rangers that stack defensive and myself can 2v10 these idiots.
    The build we're talking about gives you max toughness from the traitline and is somewhat balanced, but yes those people are idiots. Can choose to supplement that with toughness/vitality on armor if you want, I'm still messing around with it.

@Rhyis: Oh trust me, I've communicated many times. "Don't move in a big pack, spread out." "Revive people if they're downed, it takes 4 seconds." "Don't stand in that one place and fight, take their back points."

I've given up on it dude. Until I start playing with a team comprised entirely out of people I know, I'm pretty much done with sPvP. People do not understand basic tactics and when I'm trying to do something that will actually benefit the team instead of sitting there stroking my epeen at my killcount (which they don't realize will NATURALLY BE HIGH IF THEY DO IT THE CORRECT WAY TOO), I'm trying to take points and then nobody comes to help and I end up in a lot of 3v1 situations and I simply can't handle that unless the other team is really really bad.

Not only that but jesus fuck I don't know how many times I've been fighting 2v2 and my partner just wanders off somewhere without saying anything and then I die again because it switches to 2v1 without me expecting it. Like what the fuck is wrong with people? Or fighting 2v1 our favor and I go down and he/she refuses to get me up and I die from attrition because the person hits me every now and then to keep my call for help down. If you get downed the first time it literally takes 2 seconds to get back up with the help of somebody else and then it's back to business.

Old Merits
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Did Flame Citadel and Arah yesterday, they're fairly easy but I died quite a bit because I joined when I was completing maps and had a farming build without any defense. I also found myself using rifle about 40-50% of the time and more during bosses.

I'm thinking of going with this build http://www.guildhead.com/skill-calc#...GmGxG9MVszaVMo (I'm not quite set with going for a signet build though, I feel like I should go for shouts when doing instances), I tried sword/axe and didn't like it at all, no stuns, ranged skill and less damage, I usually have very short times where I can go melee, throwing a Hundred blades and getting out with a whirlwind does a nice chunk of damage, rush also helps for getting around. I'll try going with a weapon combination with stuns sometime and see how it goes.

Cake Mix
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Cakey Yama
    FFXIV Server
    Leviathan
    FFXI Server
    Unicorn

Thieves that stack precision and power and + crit annoy the fuck out of me. It's all the gear they buy from our guilds crafters and we just shake our heads. They die so fucking fast it's ridiculous. I see them out in WvW with these specs from other servers as well while our rangers that stack defensive and myself can 2v10 these idiots.
    Oddly enough, stacking precision/power/crit+ on my ranger gives good results when I'm with another person and we roll into a team of 4-5. Usually if it's like... a Guardian and myself, we can clear it alright. Granted if I'm gotten alone against a few people, I'm screwed (though spikes let me sometimes sneak out and get outta there if there's water near) but still. I guess it's bad for Thieves since they have to be close quarters..

That would seem like a bad idea, lol

Salvage Bans
    BG Level

lol wat? Sorry but you're just making a broad sweeping statement. Thief has so many get out of jail free cards that I have no qualms about stacking power, precision and crit dmg. I'm not saying it's all I use, mind you; I reserve my jewels for getting more defensive stats but thief has so much utility they have the luxury to stack these stats more than other classes while still being completely safe.

CustomTitle
    Banned for Duping
    HOT LITTLE SNATCH

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Jam Valesti
    FFXIV Server
    Leviathan

Guardian

• Tome of Wrath – Removed Stability, added Retaliation; increased the health of the transform
      * Zealot’s Fervor – Players can now move while casting this skill; increased cast time to 2 seconds; reduced maximum targets to 5
      * Judgment – Knockdown is now 3 seconds
    • Tome of Courage – Removed Stability, added Protection
      * Heal Area – Base heal increased by 33%
      * Pacifism – Reduced maximum targets to 5; increased cast time to 2 seconds; reduced daze duration to 2 seconds
    God damn it Arenanet! Far less reason to use these in WvW now.

A. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

I didn't know Signet of Illusions was giving 300% health. I was wondering why they were noticeably squishier yesterday.

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Shiva
    WoW Realm
    Stormrage

Quote Originally Posted by Kisamoo View Post
    lol wat? Sorry but you're just making a broad sweeping statement. Thief has so many get out of jail free cards that I have no qualms about stacking power, precision and crit dmg. I'm not saying it's all I use, mind you; I reserve my jewels for getting more defensive stats but thief has so much utility they have the luxury to stack these stats more than other classes while still being completely safe.
    In a perfect world that's how it would work, but in practice against good players, those get out of jail free cards aren't as great as you think. Warriors and rangers have the luxury to stack offensive since they have better condition removals and passive healing, we do not. You're more than welcome to stack that way but you'll be a hindrance in dungeons, sPvP, and WvW. Those get out of jail free cards means you're off resetting fights and not putting constant pressure on anyone. 1v1 it's fine but team wise it's selfish.

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Shiva
    WoW Realm
    Stormrage

Quote Originally Posted by Akiyama View Post
    Oddly enough, stacking precision/power/crit+ on my ranger gives good results when I'm with another person and we roll into a team of 4-5. Usually if it's like... a Guardian and myself, we can clear it alright. Granted if I'm gotten alone against a few people, I'm screwed (though spikes let me sometimes sneak out and get outta there if there's water near) but still. I guess it's bad for Thieves since they have to be close quarters..

That would seem like a bad idea, lol
    The spirit build with shortbow + axe/warhorn while stacking survivability, conditions, and healing is just so fucking OP though! Can 5v1 all those glass cannons in WvW and they make dungeons easy mode.

Cake Mix

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Cakey Yama
    FFXIV Server
    Leviathan
    FFXI Server
    Unicorn

The spirit build with shortbow + axe/warhorn while stacking survivability, conditions, and healing is just so fucking OP though! Can 5v1 all those glass cannons in WvW and they make dungeons easy mode.
    Yeah, but honestly.. most games where I'm a Ranger, I'll usually go the glass build just because that's how I enjoy the game. Granted if you give a moron that build.. they'll stupidly run into the middle of things they shouldn't and shit the bed, but I think I've done alright.

Not saing I won't try the spirit build/conditions/healing out sometime, though. I'll probably make a set sometime down the line. Just focusing on this one at the moment. It's so fucking great to one-volley shit with a shortbow and Quickening Zephyr.

Also, I do use Axe/Warhorn as my secondary. Been mainly Short Bow too. Gonna try making a Long Bow that fits my style at some point for WvW when I'm tower defending and throw some Barrages out.

I don't know what I'm doing wrong, but I am pretty sure that Guardian is not supposed to be squishier / weaker than a Warrior, or is he?

While I was trying out classes, I went from lv.6 to lv.12 with a Warrior and a Guardian. I also cleared the same lv.8 and lv.10 personal storyline missions with both.
    Average gear on both, using a 2H sword most of the time.

WARRIOR
    Once my Warrior unlocked the Healing / Regen signet, he basically became a powerhouse. He can face-tank most stuff, even 2-3 levels above, given he dodges their "nasty" attacks.
    I did not ever need to use sword/shield, because even against 3 same level mobs, he wreaks through them pretty fast with skills 2+3.

GUARDIAN
    Against the exact same mobs, she take a lot more damage than the Warrior. She also has lower health, despise both characters not using any +Vit gear.
    Fighting 2-3 mobs at a time gives me plenty of troubles, as her damage output seems definitely lower.

Any suggestion you could give me? I don't want to drop a class because it "feels" weak, because I am sure Arenanet made a pretty good job in balancing them, so maybe it's a matter of play style.

Maybe the Guardian is more Condition based? Burning effects, retaliations and overlasting the enemy with superior HP/healing?
    Is it worth to go "retrilol" with a 2H sword, or is Guardian better with a sword/focus - fencer alike melee build?

Yarglebargle
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

So I just found what I believe to be a major bug, because from a common sense standpoint if it is working as intended then somebody needs to explain to me what the point of it being in the game is.

I can be targeted and thus continue to be auto-attacked by people on the opposing sPvP team while under the effects of Stealth. I tested this with a friend on an empty server and while he was on the opposite team could target me by clicking on me or hitting Tab to cycle targets. It might break target when I go into stealth (did not test this) but what is the point if somebody can just hit tab once and resume attacking me as if nothing happened.

This explains so much death and rage over the past few days.

I posted it on the bug forums but man I don't know what I'm gonna do if they say that's working as intended because that just seems so incredibly wrong and stealth is now useless except in PvE, but I'm reading that if a mob is using a channeling move on you it continues hitting you until it finishes even if you go into stealth, so it doesn't even really have any utility in PvE either except to reset aggro.

Puppetmaster
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus

Any suggestions as to what a decet pve build for guardian is, started out with one and enjoying it, but really no clue where to go build wise, though I think i'll still have to roll a warrior at some point just to steamroll stuff

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Quote Originally Posted by Kuishen View Post
    So I just found what I believe to be a major bug, because from a common sense standpoint if it is working as intended then somebody needs to explain to me what the point of it being in the game is.

I can be targeted and thus continue to be auto-attacked by people on the opposing sPvP team while under the effects of Stealth. I tested this with a friend on an empty server and while he was on the opposite team could target me by clicking on me or hitting Tab to cycle targets. It might break target when I go into stealth (did not test this) but what is the point if somebody can just hit tab once and resume attacking me as if nothing happened.

This explains so much death and rage over the past few days.

I posted it on the bug forums but man I don't know what I'm gonna do if they say that's working as intended because that just seems so incredibly wrong and stealth is now useless except in PvE, but I'm reading that if a mob is using a channeling move on you it continues hitting you until it finishes even if you go into stealth, so it doesn't even really have any utility in PvE either except to reset aggro.
    That's exactly whats supposed to happen. You're invisible, not a phantom. Channeled spells continue to hit you, aoes hit you, and projectiles will hit you if you run in their path.

And yes, it breaks target.

Yarglebargle
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

Quote Originally Posted by Celeras View Post
    That's exactly whats supposed to happen. You're invisible, not a phantom. Channeled spells continue to hit you, aoes hit you, and projectiles will hit you if you run in their path.

And yes, it breaks target.
    If it breaks target then single target channeling spells shouldn't continue to hit you but whatever that's not the main issue. Yes I know that aoes and projectiles are supposed to hit me if I run into them, that's not the issue. The issue is that I can be targeted after I've gone stealth and projectiles continue to be aimed at me as if I wasn't invisible. Hence I'm not actually invisible, my character model goes transparent but if they can still target me then they know where I am and can purposefully aim for me, which means I'm not actually invisible so again, what is the point?

EDIT: To clarify this is exactly what test I did.

Went onto an empty server, had person on opposing team meet up with me. I would go invisible and then he would hit tab and could target me after I had gone invisible. Meaning yes, he couldn't see my character model but I had the arrow above my head and the circle around my feet so he could see exactly where I was at all times and could auto-attack (was a ranger with longbow) me while I was moving around invisible. What the fuck is the point of being invisible if the enemy can still see me at all times?

Impossiblu
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Prothescar Centursa
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

Quote Originally Posted by Keshad View Post
    Any suggestions as to what a decet pve build for guardian is, started out with one and enjoying it, but really no clue where to go build wise, though I think i'll still have to roll a warrior at some point just to steamroll stuff
    I've been liking this for lv 80 zones:

Virtue Oriented

This ends up giving you lots of passive and active support from your Virtues while increasing the damage you deal by giving yourself boons, which you'll have a lot of due to virtues and shouts. It also includes the somewhat OP Guardian Blind Spam traits for Virtue of Justice.

If you aren't a rawrmeow, you can use Bane Signet or something in place of Battle Roar and whatever in place of Warband Support.

However I've been considering this instead:

Boon Oriented

I'm looking at this as a super survivable build. Lots of blind spam from Virtue of Justice on top of a very decent stream of healing from shouts, symbols, and virtues via Altruistic Healing. Still provides some decent offense.

With the bullshit thief/rogue classes are capable of in other games, being able to target them in stealth doesn't bother me one bit. In chaotic situations, you're not going to be easily seen if people are focusing on the zerg. Meanwhile, being caught solo and insta-buttraped doesn't seem as likely if you're diligent bout tabbing around.

Yarglebargle
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

Quote Originally Posted by arus2001 View Post
    With the bullshit thief/rogue classes are capable of in other games, being able to target them in stealth doesn't bother me one bit. In chaotic situations, you're not going to be easily seen if people are focusing on the zerg. Meanwhile, being caught solo and insta-buttraped doesn't seem as likely if you're diligent bout tabbing around.
    That's all fine and dandy and I'm not going to get into a class balance discussion. I'm talking specifically in sPvP, you're doing it wrong if there is a zerg and if there is then a stealth Thief is going to die instantly if he/she walks into that so I'm not sure of the point you're making here. As it stands Stealth in sPvP is a target break (which, since most moves are AoE or ground target means it's only useful for stopping auto-ranged attacks) for less than a second if the player you're fighting is good with tabbing. The rest is aesthetic.

I had this wild notion that being invisible actually meant being invisible and was to be used to harass the enemy by constantly making them lose track of you or escaping hairy situations unseen.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Like I said, working as intended. The complaint thread awaits you.

Lol at "less than a second" though, fucking delusional.

Of course you're not supposed to run into the zerg. That's usually suicide for everyone. If you're so set on playing a stealth harasser, that's when hang on the outlier and try to pick of stragglers or people trying to retreat because you can be sure they're worried more about what they're running away from than into. Again, this "mechanic" in other games has been annoying and too often overpowering since you KNOW they're there, but basically just have to wait until they decide to stunlock and buttrape you since there's usually not much you can do about it. And even if someone can re-target, you should be gaining a second or so as they readjust and try to draw you out. Our avatars are a lot more obvious than little arrows, after all.

Ze NinjaSYXX
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Nitsuki Syxx
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Guns work nicely on thieves anyways, gun/dagger for me, also i am avoiding pvp right now because i don't have a vit/tough armor build, gonna work on that.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 26 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 17 ... LastLast