1. You are currently viewing a section that predates the release of FFXIV:ARR and the information you see here is most likely outdated and/or useless.
  1. FFXIV Reset Timers
    Last daily reset was 17 hours, 6 minutes ago / Next daily reset is in 6 hours, 53 minutes
    Last weekly reset was 1 days, 17 hours, 6 minutes ago / Next weekly reset is in 5 days, 6 hours, 53 minutes
+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 6 of 6
  1. #1
    Smells like Onions
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    1
    BG Level
    0

    Tech Support DirectX, Black screen, PC Crash

    Heres my PC:
    Windows 7 Home Premium
    Intel® Core™ i7-2600k CPU @ 3.40GHz, 3401 Mhz 8192MB RAM
    NVIDIA GeForce GTX 570 Driver 301.42
    DirectX Version: DirectX 11

    Heres my problem:
    So i've searched across the internet.. a literal grave dig because all articles were around 2010~2011, and I have yet to find a solution for my problem. FFXIV worked fine from before...My graphics card would crash every now and then but i think those were driver bugs and I failed to properly install new drivers. I tried to log on to ffxiv two days ago, and it gives me one these errors ive gotten so far:
    1. black screen that leads to a directx failure (unable to detect)
    2. Complete loss of connection (no video on my monitor) i then have to manually restart


    I've uninstalled my drivers and reinstalled the most up to date (301.42)
    I uninstalled FFXIV and reinstalled it.. still no go, I do run them as administrator and went as far as to try to run them in compatibility mode for xp sp3.
    Any help would be gladly appreciated! >.< so weird because it was working great a few days ago.. anyways i im wondering if it may be something wrong physically on my comp.. agh idk im stumped

    Thank you again,
    troy

  2. #2
    A. Body
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    4,120
    BG Level
    7
    FFXIV Character
    Grey Jorildyn
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion

    Default DirectX, Black screen, PC Crash

    I had the directx issue when I installed my gtx680 a couple weeks back. Basically I crash in town only now after like an hour or two of idling. Everywhere else is great now. All I did was set everything to high settings and use MSAA 4x sampling. Do not AO or DoF, it will black screen or crash you regularly I've seen. I have the same drivers installed as you.

    What I think occurs is that when you zone or sit for awhile the card down-throttles and the game stops recognizing it. Keeping the settings way up keeps the card running almost constantly and that seems to "fix" the issue for some reason. Weird programming is weird.

  3. #3
    Relic Weapons
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    364
    BG Level
    4
    FFXIV Character
    Scrappy Doo
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Asura

    Default

    anytime I open another game that fullscreens it'll do that too until I window it, but yeah turning off AO and DoF fixed that for me too when I wasnt running anything else

  4. #4
    Cerberus
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    471
    BG Level
    4
    FFXI Server
    Odin

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Grey Jorildyn View Post
    I had the directx issue when I installed my gtx680 a couple weeks back. Basically I crash in town only now after like an hour or two of idling. Everywhere else is great now.
    Here we go. I upgraded my Geforce 470 GTX to a Geforce 660Ti last week, due to a hardware issue with the 470 (random crashes with blocky artifacts all over the screen, then driver reset, and this happened in all games and even when running OS X).

    Now I get random crashes in FFXIV (DirectX device lost, crash from fullscreen), but for some reason, only when I'm in town. So far, many crashes in Ul'dah, especially at the well before the inn, only one crash so far in Limsa (but I'm not often in Limsa and in Gridania). Newest NV beta driver (306.02), since this is the only driver supporting the 660 Ti.

    I wonder if the reason for the crashes are certain equipment pieces of other players passing by. When it happens, it often happens a few times in a row.

  5. #5
    CROSS-SERVER LEGAL SERVICES
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    1,104
    BG Level
    6
    FFXIV Character
    Mina Pulchra
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi
    WoW Realm
    Hyjal

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by fussel View Post
    Now I get random crashes in FFXIV (DirectX device lost, crash from fullscreen), but for some reason, only when I'm in town. So far, many crashes in Ul'dah, especially at the well before the inn, only one crash so far in Limsa (but I'm not often in Limsa and in Gridania). Newest NV beta driver (306.02), since this is the only driver supporting the 660 Ti.
    My husband recently upgraded to a EVGA 550Ti card and has been suffering the weirdest problems since. I don't think anyone has a remedy out there for your problem. Try to be a street rat and hide in the corners of Uldah listening to shouts until you need to go somewhere! Hopefully these problems won't persist with 2.0.

    Quote Originally Posted by fussel View Post
    I wonder if the reason for the crashes are certain equipment pieces of other players passing by. When it happens, it often happens a few times in a row.
    This is definitely weird if that's the problem. Do you suspect a certain piece of equipment? It would be easy to test if that was your problem.

    Has anyone with Radeons have any problems with FFXIV? I crash maybe once a week but that's due to screwing around on my second monitor with photoshop and youtube.

    ----

    I have a different problem that the Square support team is investigating. My character keeps falling through the world/walking through walls. The GMs can't move my character for some reason which prompted them to sending me to the technical support team to investigate what my computer is doing to cause this/their inability to interact with my character. I think they suspect I'm doing something to cause this because they SHOULD be able to move my character 'per GM'.

    Going to take pictures the next time it happens but I hope it doesn't since my anima is running low with all this porting I'm having to do. I can't get to the Conjurer's guild in Gridania since the bridge/earth path tunnel is where I fall through all the time.

    There's stars under Gridania by the way. Lots of stars. Also when you walk through walls it's not necessarily a horizontal line. The moment you connect with a room that is exists, gravity suddenly will suck you in bounds. I ended up in the pond trying to land on solid ground.

    All I can think of when I'm in the pond is 'man if this was 2.0 I could JUMP, I'd totally be able to get out'.

  6. #6
    Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die.
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    1,329
    BG Level
    6
    FFXIV Character
    Claire Farron
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by fussel View Post
    Here we go. I upgraded my Geforce 470 GTX to a Geforce 660Ti last week, due to a hardware issue with the 470 (random crashes with blocky artifacts all over the screen, then driver reset, and this happened in all games and even when running OS X).

    Now I get random crashes in FFXIV (DirectX device lost, crash from fullscreen), but for some reason, only when I'm in town. So far, many crashes in Ul'dah, especially at the well before the inn, only one crash so far in Limsa (but I'm not often in Limsa and in Gridania). Newest NV beta driver (306.02), since this is the only driver supporting the 660 Ti.

    I wonder if the reason for the crashes are certain equipment pieces of other players passing by. When it happens, it often happens a few times in a row.
    I just finished building my rig with the same card, and just like Grey said above, disable AO and DoF and you should be good to go. At least it worked for me.