+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 68 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 52 ... LastLast

Thread: Lightning Returns XIII-3     submit to reddit submit to twitter

Resident Moogle
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

And here I am being a cheap-ass waiting on XIII-2 to either be $15 in my area or get a DLC-bundled re-release.

I kinda could go for an FFXV instead, but I'm guessing with the amount of money they threw at XIII's engine, that they'd probably want to milk it a little further, and with that new engine of theirs not being able to run on modern consoles, that they'll probably be premiering XV on it instead on PS4/720/whatever.
    Spoiler: show
    XIV being a travesty probably didn't help their budget expectations any either.

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Audrey Weaver
    FFXIV Server
    Behemoth
    FFXI Server
    Asura

So it's basically Final Fantasy: Dragon Quarter? Even down to the rewinding deaths and special moves that eat your timer. I was prepared to hate this when I saw the title, but now I'm actually really interested. Loved BoF5, hope they pull the survival RPG thing off, cause it's about time someone else tried.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ramuh

I was kind of disappointed when I saw this that they looked to be forgetting the previous story which was left in a bad state at the end of XIII-2, but seeing the art with bunivelze (sp) in the background and etro's temple on one of the islands, I'm really hoping we'll get a good ending to the 'trilogy'. As inconsistent and meh as the previous story was, I've invested a lot of hours now and I want to see all the characters I loved to hate make it out the other end really. Not even acknowledging all the dead people would be lame.

Very Sexy Nerd
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle

Sounds dumb. Can't say for sure without watching the gameplay, but for now, it sounds dumb.

Please move on, SE. (and do a repeat of ff9 with a traditional ff qq)

Banned.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Patricia Lanvaldear
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas

rofl (thanks Qal)

http://img.gawkerassets.com/img/17xq...g/original.jpg

EDIT:
    GDI! You are too fast, I wanted to post your content before you could

okay guy I guess
    BG Level

She just wanted the PS3 version because it was so much better.

Let's go Red Sox!
    BG Level

I was initially figuring I would skip this game since I'm not big on the first two FFXIIIs... but Dragon Quarter was too fucking good.

the whitest knight u' know
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Miya Kai
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

Quote Originally Posted by Viq View Post
    I was initially figuring I would skip this game since I'm not big on the first two FFXIIIs... but Dragon Quarter was too fucking good.
    Yeah, they got me sold with that bit, but I think Dragon Quarter left a bad taste in a lot of people's mouths with the whole "whoops, you lost the game because you took too long, start over!" mechanic. I hope people a bit more open-minded this time around... and since it's a FF title having a little life breathed into it.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ramuh

I resent dragon quarter for being the last BoF and completely missing all the great stuff that BoF4 had. Even so, that mechanic it had was great so I'm looking forward to seeing it here.

FFXIII and XIII-2 are known for being player-friendly games so I doubt the counter will be a big deal. Even if it reaches 0 there will probably be a way to bring it back without screwing your save.

Relic Weapons
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Titan

This game already sounds way better than XIII, and XIII-2. Those games just didn't do it for me.

I personally enjoyed XIII more.

BG's most likeable Québécois
    Pens win! Pens Win!!! PENS WIN!!!!!

BG Level

Not a fan of Action RPG so gonna wait for gameplay videos

Hyperion Cross
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kai Bond
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

I examined the whole video and I'm sold. It seems very crisis core/dark souls/skyrim/GTA4 to me based on the description of the alpha gameplay.

The fact that you have to wait for the next transportation/car due to the world driven concept heavily reminded me of FFXI lol. Those days spent on the dock in Bastok/Jeuno and the outer areas

I personally very much liked Lightning as a character. I'm very drawn/attracted to strong females in general, not only in fiction but in real life as well. I was severely disappointed to learn she is basically unplayable in the sequel, and that the teaser with her fighting Bahamut was basically a tutorial. I hope this redeems that fact.

I'm unsure how I feel completely about the developers revealing the whole "world map" to us already but I assume it'll be deeply explorable.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Miya Kai
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

My only concern is that this might be another Dirge of Cerberus. :[

Custom Title
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    Blog Entries

Not too concerned about that. I'd think it's be closer to an open world Crisis Core with battles fully integrated into the field than a Dirge of Cerberus. The only thing it's probably take more of from DoC is probably platformer elements

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Miya Kai
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

I meant it figuratively. Dirge of Cerberus was such a massive deviation from the genre it was spun off of (and it was complete shit). It can be a real slap in the face for some fans of a franchise to have a story that they really want to see concluded/continued end up getting stuck in a genre they don't enjoy.

Custom Title
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    Blog Entries

true dat.

i get the feeling they actually want FF to move in a direction away from RPGs in the traditional sense, especially JRPG since that genre has pretty much died everywhere else in the world.

LR:FFXIII doesn't seem to be quite as dramatic a genre shift as DoC tho. this would be at best a different sub-genre of the "RPG formula" (seeing as it resembles a western RPG) than rooted in a different genre altogether, which was what DoC was, even if it had tiny shreds of RPG elements.

I'd hope LR:FFXIII plays in battle similarly to how it does in XIII or XIII-2.. or maybe in the way it did in the reveal trailer.
    Only Lightning in battle? check. Stop time? Check.

It'd boil down a lot on presentation, which is something we still don't know about, since we didn't get to see the closed trailer.

BG Staff
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

http://andriasang.com/con2l3/lightning_returns_details/

The game is currently 30% complete

This will be Lightning's last game and will end with a happy ending. The game has just one ending.

The first FFXIII was story driven, meaning that the story pulled the player along. FFXIII-2 was player driven, meaning players selected the story. Lightning Returns is World Driven, meaning players have to consider how they interact with the changing world.

The game's in-game time works out to one day being the equivalent of one to two hours of real time. There will be increases and decreases in time.

The game is meant to be played and cleared multiple times. The volume is not such that it will take many tens of hours to clear once.

People from XIII-2 haven't died. Because of the effects of the chaos (I'm not sure if this is the proper English word), people have stopped aging and don't get old.

The Novus world has four continents, two natural and two city-type.

Depending on your actions, the remaining life of the world could decrease, and the game could end before the 13 day limit.

There are some times when helping someone will decrease the life of the world.

Defeating some enemies and clearing some quests will increase the life of the world.

Lightning is all by herself in battle, allowing you to concentrate more than when you had to control a party.

Lightning has become a considerably more refined person.

You can freely move around during battle. Some elements of the battle system are timing-based.

The battle system is close to action. There's an ATB gauge.

During battle, you don't select menu commands. Instead, you select abilities which have been assigned to buttons.