+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 68 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 53 ... LastLast

Thread: Lightning Returns XIII-3     submit to reddit submit to twitter

Black Belt
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

That made me lose some interest in it. The story is less than 19hours long? And if you're slow, you'll have to replay the entire game?

I duno, I'll probably still buy it, hopefully it won't be as bad as it sounds.

listen!
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

I'll still download it on day 1, for the story, but the gameplay just seems awful.

Custom Title
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    Blog Entries

that puts the main story at ~20hrs if you actually have to hit the end of the 13 days.. but that said, its about the same as a quick playthrough of FF13-2 (provided you know what you're doing), and probably without the cutscenes too..

if it can offer replay value on that level.. i'd definitely look into playing it. pretty sure there'll be a whole bunch of optionals or forks along the way that will add to the replay value.

anyway.. what happened to the Sept 4 new details thing on the NA website?

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Six Souls
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Malorne
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Uzor View Post
    The story is less than 19hours long? And if you're slow, you'll have to replay the entire game?
    It's meant to be played multiple times like Majora’s Mask. There is only one ending, but you can't get 100% through a single play-though.

the whitest knight u' know
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Miya Kai
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

If you're unsure how you feel about this type of replay-focused/time-constrained mechanic, I recommend going and playing Breath of Fire: Dragon Quarter. It's a pretty polarizing concept. Most players will, without doubt, end up with some premature game-overs... but the ability to retain all or some items/equipment/levels/etc. and start over gives a nice sense of progression as you quickly learn how to streamline your actions (without fucking about unnecessarily) and it's always fun to go back and plow through lower-level content after your character has developed some.

Ideally, repeated play-throughs should unlock both higher-level content and more story/lore. The latter is how Dragon Quarter did it. With each subsequent play-through, most cutscenes had additional scenes added to them, further unlocking the mysteries behind the characters and events that weren't entirely brought to light the first time(s) around.

For the record, I enjoyed Dragon Quarter (the entire game was on a very slow count-down that only dangerously sped up while using your ultimate attacks in battle) while I really hated Majora's Mask.

listen!
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Quote Originally Posted by Spira View Post
    its about the same as a quick playthrough of FF13-2 (provided you know what you're doing), and probably without the cutscenes too..
    This is kind of meaningless. You can beat 13-2 in 4-5 hours without much difficulty if you know what you're doing. A first playthrough should be much, much longer.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Quote Originally Posted by hey View Post
    This is kind of meaningless. You can beat 13-2 in 4-5 hours without much difficulty if you know what you're doing. A first playthrough should be much, much longer.
    It's an Action RPG, most of them do not last this long including KH and they have very little replay value other than higher difficulty settings.

Hyperion Cross
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kai Bond
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

But although it's an action RPG they really are making it sound like a lot of things, especially the people (NPCs) would be interactive (world drive, yada yada). I would've thought on that basis alone it would fill up another 20-30 or even more hours of gameplay.

I mean, I suppose it's not right to compare it to Skyrim but what's a speedrun time for Skyrim? lol

listen!
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Quote Originally Posted by The Stig View Post
    but what's a speedrun time for Skyrim? lol
    1:16, i believe.

Hyperion Cross
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kai Bond
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

That's fast! XD. When I was reading a review on a magazine here it said something about "playing for 50 hours and barely scratching the surface" so I presumed it was a pretty deep game.

But yeh, before I read about the "secret/private alpha build" and the interview from Adriansang, here's what I imagined:

A fully interactive (again, emphasis on World Driven, as they keep doing it) world where most interactions if not all you do has some form of consequence -- so here I feel it's a small scale butterly effect. In a way, FFX-2 had a similar thing, but divided into 4 endings (including the perfect one), even talking to a hidden yuna at the beginning earned you that 1% or something to the grand total. I know they said it's going to be one ending here only so we'll need to see how that plays out.

They also mentioned Facebook, although I don't remember now but I believe they that they will want to make the game so amazing that it's like being in another world, and you'll be allowed to hook up (this is how they made me feel) a Facebook account to share your adventures/journies within LR? I'll need to rewatch the video again.

But I feel SE will not be that shallow if they're going balls to the walls about this. I mean, it warrented a 40minute presentation! I'm sure it's a lot deeper than what we are imagining.

listen!
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Quote Originally Posted by The Stig View Post
    That's fast! XD. When I was reading a review on a magazine here it said something about "playing for 50 hours and barely scratching the surface" so I presumed it was a pretty deep game.
    50 hours to scracth the surface sounds about right. 1:16 is just for the main story, and nothing else.

RNGesus
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lenette Valkyr
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

I've been playing Skyrim for 70 hours so far and have barely done the main story. It just has a LOT of side quest storylines and stuff.

F5 Like A Boss.
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kuroki Kaze
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Twisting Nether

Translation for one of the Anniversary Event shows:

Banned.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Patricia Lanvaldear
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas

Quote Originally Posted by Alkar View Post
    including KH
    huh

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Exoduso Fenice
    FFXIV Server
    Midgardsormr
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Square, shut up and take my money.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Quote Originally Posted by Charismatic View Post
    huh
    KH games are really short. What makes the endgame so long is the huge amount of grinding required to even attempt the secret boss/bosses.
    Took me 30 minutes to get halfway through one of the scenarios in BBS. That's like 4 hours at best not counting the secret bosses. 20 hours for the first playthrough of LR sounds about right and you're meant to replay it.

I'm more gentle than I look.
    Mr. Feathers AKA Mr. Striations
    All hail Lord Yamcha

BG Level

Damn still haven't played the first 2 haha.

BG Staff
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

RNGesus
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lenette Valkyr
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

Quote Originally Posted by Alkar View Post
    KH games are really short. What makes the endgame so long is the huge amount of grinding required to even attempt the secret boss/bosses.
    Took me 30 minutes to get halfway through one of the scenarios in BBS. That's like 4 hours at best not counting the secret bosses. 20 hours for the first playthrough of LR sounds about right and you're meant to replay it.
    I don't think KH 1 and 2 are the same length as BBS..

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrath View Post
    I don't think KH 1 and 2 are the same length as BBS..
    KH2 is probably the only exception. I'm talking about story here anyway, no side-quests or hidden treasures (that usually don't matter that much).