Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Exoduso Fenice
    FFXIV Server
    Midgardsormr
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

CoM, 365/2 days, BBS, as well as even Re:Coded, are obviously not as long as the main entries in the series.
    But yes, action RPGs are shorter. It's just the nature of the type of game.
    If they're setting LR up so that you would have to replay it, there is nothing wrong with 20hrs of storyline.

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Tanaya Makers
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

Quote Originally Posted by Alkar View Post
    KH2 is probably the only exception. I'm talking about story here anyway, no side-quests or hidden treasures (that usually don't matter that much).
    Yeah, except KH2 had that whole "Easy button" thing.

It's why when I play KH these days, I just ride it out on the hardest difficulty. The games are so easy I couldn't imagine playing on Normal Mode.

As for Lightning Returns, I was gonna buy it regardless of the news, but the fact it's Lightning solo with large customization has me sold. Don't really give a fuck if it's an Action RPG.

Easy button? The game that had stuff like Xaldin and Demyx as bosses? Have we played the same game?

Brokage
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Vasp Anemos
    FFXIV Server
    Faerie
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

I think Carth meant the Triangle action trigger button, but I could be wrong. And I won't lie KH (All of them) is pretty easy on normal mode but hard and proud mode are definitely challenges, especially the secret bosses

Banned.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Patricia Lanvaldear
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas

I think Carth just doesn't know what he's talking about... really.

Reminds me of people saying XIII just plays itself, when doing nothing would leave you dead pretty quickly on a lot of fights.

listen!
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Quote Originally Posted by arus2001 View Post
    Reminds me of people saying XIII just plays itself
    To be fair, it does the vast majority of the time.

It's a shame too, since the battle system is really awesome for bosses and such, where you actually get to use it.

Auto-battle is a standard feature of every offline turn-based FF now anyways. Even TAY and the new FF Dimension have it.
    Speaking of which, I wonder if LR is going to feature it since it's an action RPG instead of turn-based.

Sandworm Swallows
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by hey View Post
    To be fair, it does the vast majority of the time.

It's a shame too, since the battle system is really awesome for bosses and such, where you actually get to use it.
    I never got that impression from XIII. I don't think the paradigm system has enough customization for it to play itself the majority of the time.

FFXII's gambit system on the other hand.... yeah, that played itself most of the time. XD Not counting bosses/hunts of course.

I've always wanted to see a FF game with a world-end timer, I'm interested in this. It's too bad Light will be the only playable character though.

So is Lightning the goddess now? And she wakes up hundreds of years later? I don't really remember the ending.

Hyperion Cross
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kai Bond
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

Based on that one single glimpse of art where Lightning wasn't even properly rendered, and given the "island" (world?) of the game, I feel that she is more of a nomad this time around. So we'll get a cloak of some sort for sure and more of a rugged look maybe.

Lightning was a "knight of the goddess" as defined in her battle theme on the soundtrack, so I don't think she is a goddess, just happens to be very powerful.

It would be odd to have her be portrayed as the same/similar because it sounds like she'll be in a highly interactive place, therefore she would want to look a bit normal (hence my envisioning of the nomad/traveller look).

listen!
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Quote Originally Posted by Silenka View Post
    I never got that impression from XIII. I don't think the paradigm system has enough customization for it to play itself the majority of the time.
    Every single non-boss battle can easily be done with auto attacks.

the whitest knight u' know
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Miya Kai
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

Assuming you have your default paradigm set accordingly or don't care about going as slow as balls on fights that don't need your Medic.

Good luck killing behemoth, turtles, cieth's with barriers, PSICOM soldiers (especially the female ones and those with bazookas) and a bunch of other things with auto-battle alone.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ramuh

Yeah I'd say that's an exaggeration that could be applied to pretty much any final fantasy game. When playing a FFIX rom a while back I sped the game up and spammed attack for some sequences I wasn't really interested in, and yet no one's really called the series out for it until now, probably because of the fact that you only control one character so the effect feels amplified.

Edit: And yeah, as said above a lot of enemies above the trashiest trash required some thought and stagger management, more so than other FF games where pretty much all trash could be spam-attack killed.

Black Belt
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Most any FF game you can win any fight that's non-boss by only spamming attack. Hell, in the previous games I spammed attack even with my mages. In least in Dimensions you can equip your mages with bows to at least to half-decent damage.

Sometimes I wish there was a setting to only pop up a post-battle screen with exp and items received based on the characters only using Attack, with a "Replay" button under it so that you can replay the battle manually if you so wish. Would save a lot of time from all of the trash monsters you don't give a fuck about - especially when walking through an old area with mobs 50 levels below you for whatever reason.

Hell, in Final Fantasy 1 (I think?) one of the best setups in the game was a party of monks with a single red mage. And remember to not equip the monks with a weapon, since they do more damage bare-handed than with an actual weapon. Could beat the entire game just by spamming "Attack", with the occasional heal from your Red Mage.

All Final Fantasy games have been absurdly easy and beatable by spamming Attack. Final Fantasy XIII wasn't the first of its kind, nor is it the last. I mean, FFVII could be beat with Omnislash, or Knights of Round. You could beat the hardest boss in the game with a single move, and yet a lot of people regard it as the best FF game.

At least bosses in Final Fantasy XIII and Final Fantasy XII required a little bit of strategy on bonus bosses, and even on some normal bosses and mobs.

Quote Originally Posted by vadre View Post
    Yeah I'd say that's an exaggeration that could be applied to pretty much any game.
    Fixed.

I swear, some people say the dumbest shit. It could hardly be called an exaggeration because I bet he truly believes that lol

The Idea is cool, but its the execution I worry about. I'll need gameplay footage to get excited about this.

Sandworm Swallows
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Litz Zatsuza
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Re: Lightning Returns XIII-3

Earthbound was pretty cool with low level mobs. If the mobs were below a certain level, you'd defeat mobs automatically without fighting them, and get the exp and whatever items they dropped.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ramuh

Wasn't there an option like that in XIII-2 as well? Pretty sure you could turn on one of those bonus things to insta-kill weak enemies.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 68 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 14 54 ... LastLast