+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 49 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast
    E. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Siren

Black Desert - Open World Sandbox Action Combat.

http://massively.joystiq.com/2012/09...ler-impresses/

I normally don't post new MMo's coming from Korea, but this one has been getting some major buzz...

The guys who made Continent of the Ninth (C9), always wanted to make a persistent open-world with Action combat that was missing from C9. So they have made a new MMO called Black Desert.

Black Deseret will feature the same awesome combat was in C9, active dodge, active block and various attack combination chains, but now in a persistent open world.

The main features are Large-scale castle/ town siege's. Defenders will have to destroy the invaders’ cannons, ladders and kill them off, while the invaders will have to destroy the main gate and try to climb up the walls. More strategic features will be implemented in due course to make this event as dynamic as possible.

Other features include various trade and production activities such as farming, factories, gathering and more.

Black Desert has only been officially signed to Japan under publisher GameOn(Neowitz games) with Closed Beta scheduled for early 2013. For a game which only started development around 2010, it is looking mighty impressive already.

Check out the video !

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Airewen Moonflower
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Posted a couple of days ago thanks to 4gamer.net

http://www.4gamer.net/games/183/G018339/20120907090/

Black Desert Online (Tentative title) will be an Action MMORPG. It will be using the latest generation in graphics. The article talks about the exclusive licensing agreement and ceremony that occurred earlier in the week. The game will be centralized around the Fantasy sub-genre. The setting/atmosphere is lined with European-style buildings.

Mr. Kim Dane (CEO of PearlAbyss) says they believe they will be able to satisfy both the Japanese and the South Korean MMORPG markets. Service is scheduled to happen sometime around the the 2nd half of 2013. They do go into some detail with castle sieges etc. No word yet about the game coming to the European or North American markets as of yet.

Let's go Red Sox!
    BG Level

Good times. I loved C9, and I'm planning on being back in Korea for awhile starting in February. I'll definitely hop on this when it's available.

E. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Siren

Pearl Abyss had another update. The game is currently in Alpha, and will be going into CB in July, with the hope of a Dec. 2013 OB release in Korea and in Japan.

Here is another video

This one shows off building your house

CustomTitle
    Banned for Duping
    HOT LITTLE SNATCH

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Jam Valesti
    FFXIV Server
    Leviathan

Not getting my hopes up that we'll ever get this. Might dip in to the KR or JP version at some point though, C9 was a blast so this has potential. If this has open world PvP I'll cum buckets, invading people in C9 and trolling the shit out of them was Godly, even with high latency.

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Audrey Weaver
    FFXIV Server
    Behemoth
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Spoiler: show

Damn, that looks good. The character faces are particularly impressive. There's plenty of tricks to making the pretty or exaggerated characters look good, but it's really hard to convincingly do "average-looking"-type characters that still look good.

Some issues with jittery animations, shadow textures and the LoD doing weird things, but I'm sure they'll fix those eventually. That aside, game looks gorgeous, can't wait to see more.

The Defense is ready, Your Honor
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lord Longhaft
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus
    WoW Realm
    Mug'thol

Man, those Koreans can pump out these pretty good looking games at a rapid pace. With a little refinement, the future looks bright for this genre.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Teisha Linne
    FFXIV Server
    Moogle
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Graphic quality was great for Korean games for some time now. But they always lacked elsewhere, so I think more would be needed than just "little refinement".

D. Ring
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Shanoa Varhara
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

Steparu managed to get an interview with the Devs:
    http://steparu.com/previews/mmo-rpg-...line-interview

Q: Hello, it is nice to meet you! My name is Steparu, would you like to introduce yourself to the people reading this interview?

My name is KimDaeil, I am the director of various games like RYL (Risk Your Life), R2 (Reign of Revolution), and C9 (Continent of the Ninth) published by Hangame Korea. I have been a game developer for 13 years and resigned from NHNGames in 2010. From there, I founded a new company called Pearl Abyss Corporation around September 2010. As of the moment we have around 50 people who are currently working on this game. We have 30 graphics designers, 10 programmers, 8 project planners, and etc.

Q: Black Desert has received a lot of attention ever since Pearl Abyss released the first preview trailer, did you expect that your game to be this be popular?

We didn't expect our game to receive this much attention, we actually wanted wait out on publicly announcing this game since we wanted to develop more things. A lot of the new titles today have really good quality and the amount on detail on their games is really good. We thought that we shouldn't release too much information on our game just yet. GameOn Japan which is the first company that we made a publishing contract with suggested that we release some information about Black Desert Online on the same day we had our contract agreement. Then we decided to show off some of our games content to the public.

Q: I have been really curious as to what kind of game engine Black Desert Online is running on, would you like to tell me more about it?

Our company uses our own game engine we don't have a specific name for the engine just yet, but we are currently calling it the "Black Desert" because we are working on that game with it. Our company consists of a lot of veteran game programmers and developers so creating a new engine wasn't that hard. We needed a special engine just for Black Desert mainly because it is a seamless world and needed an engine that can render a lot of characters very fast and easy.

Q: In Black Desert Online is it possible for players to walk from one continent to the other without load time?

Black Desert has seamless world, so players can run around the world without loading.

Q: I'm amazed at the amount of detail this game has, can you tell me more about story?

The story of Black Desert revolves around Chalpheon Republic and Valencia Kingdom battling it out for resources. Both countries are fighting because of the Black Desert which contains a lot of "Black Stones" a powerful magical stone that provides energy. The Chalpheon Republic is trying to make profit out of the stones, while Valencia Kingdom is trying to prevent it. The Black Desert is also known as the Red Desert because of the amount of bloodshed that is happening on these lands between the two countries.

Q: I have noticed in the preview trailer that this game has an Action Combat System, is there anything special about Black Deserts Combat System that makes it unique compared to others?

One of the things we wanted to worked hard on was the realism in action combat. We tried very hard to make the combat skills look realistic and dynamic as possible. Our main goal is to give our players full control of the combat system so that they can attack, dodge, and block monster attacks manually. We were inspired by a lot of games some like Red Dead Redemption. We want to give players more control of the battle and movement system so we added some cool mechanics while riding horses. For example, we even added horse drifting in the game!

Q: I am really curious about the playable races and classes in your game, are there going to be any character restrictions for them? For example, will the playable classes be restricted by race and gender.

There are various races like the giant, hobbit, elf, dwarf, and humans. We designed them all just to be part of the world and each race doesn't have special skills or stats yet. All the characters are classified by different classes which are fighter, ranger, sorcerer, beast, and tamer. We are still working on other new classes. We are considering a gender lock system but we can't give you any specific details on it just yet. Also the name of the classes may change in the future.

Q: A lot of people who are looking forward to trying out this game and are very interested in learning more about the first Closed Beta Test. Has Pearl Abyss already made plans on when and where will this game be tested first?

We are still working on contracts with other publishers from other countries, so the testing schedule could change at anytime. For now, our goal is to have a public version by 2013 in South Korea. Depending on how much progress we make, I think our first test is scheduled sometime in the first half of 2013.

Q: Black Desert Online's siege system looks like it has a lot of potential. Is it really true that this game will have some kind of friendly fire with cannons?

The cannon system is different compared to other games, players are not just shooting cannons. Players will have to manually load it with cannon balls, move the cannon, aim, adjust the angle, and etc.

Q: Will this game have some kind of Player Kill system? Are there any penalties to players that enjoy PK'ing random players or penalties to players that are killed by PK'ers?

PK is possible but we are still discussing on how much of it we will allow. We think that it should be just right so that players don't leave the game because of too much PK. We are also considering making PK available during guild wars, so other players can PK other players who are in GvG. It is still too early us to decide. Usually there is a chance to drop items when a player dies, though items that are binded on the character won't drop. We think that players losing a hard earned bind on pick up item will be too frustrating so we decided to go with this kind of system.

Q: What kind of features will Black Desert offer to it's users?

One of the unique features that Black Desert will have is building a unique relationships with NPCs which I will go into detail shortly. Black Desert is a very big MMORPG, so a lot of players will enjoy exploring new areas. Once a player builds a close relationship with an NPC, they will sell the player special items that can't not be acquired through the general shop. If a players develops a very close relationship with an NPC, then they will gift that player special items, quests, access to special areas, or even offer their assistance in your journeys. You can't be friends with all of the NPC's in this game. For example, there are other NPC's that don't like each other in the game and if you end up doing more favor for the other NPC, your favor from the other NPC will worsen.

Q: I like Dragons! Actually everyone loves Dragons, are there going to be huge Dragons in this game? It would be nice if a Dragon terrorized a bunch of homes that is created by the community.

There is no dragon so far, but we may design one if it's needed (smiles). We are discussing about monster invasions and the different kinds of approach on it, so far it is looking very good.

Q: Are there any plans on releasing dungeons or any raid instances in this game?

Yes, there is! We are planning on a various kinds of dungeons in this game. We will have a lot of solo and party dungeons that are very challenging. We are also working on raid dungeons that will require a bigger party. Black Desert is a seamless world, so there is a big field which is the whole world that can be explored without loading. The world also has open field dungeons that do not require any loading. Then there are some dungeons that may require some loading.

Q: I've always been a big fan of cool looking outfits and stuff. Will Black Desert Online have any re-skinning features?

There are items that are for looks only, if a player wears those items they can change their look. Right now our designers are working hard on this feature, so expect a lot of cool looking outfits in the future.

Q: Most of the players nowadays look for very challenging content during the low and high level experience, does Pearl Abyss have any plans on adding huge field bosses that one shots players?

We are still discussing about this and it is looking positive so far but please understand we can't answer about this question just yet.

Q: I must Thank You once again and I really appreciate your time in answering all of my questions. Is there any you would like to say to the Black Desert Online fans?

Our main goal for Black Desert Online is to provide players with a very high quality MMORPG we want to make it very special and add as many unique content in the game. Thank you for your support and please look forward to our game.

Old Merits
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Tsuko Stark
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

>For example, we even added horse drifting in the game!

GOTYAY

Quote Originally Posted by Kaelan? View Post
    [spoiler]
    Some issues with jittery animations, shadow textures and the LoD doing weird things, but I'm sure they'll fix those eventually. That aside, game looks gorgeous, can't wait to see more.
    Took the words out of my mouth. Hoping we get this here eventually.

Cake Mix
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Cakey Yama
    FFXIV Server
    Leviathan
    FFXI Server
    Unicorn

Quote Originally Posted by warc View Post
    >For example, we even added horse drifting in the game!

GOTYAY
    Horse drifting? I'm in.

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Airewen Moonflower
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Black Desert Online Interview

http://massively.joystiq.com/2013/04...e-big-picture/

http://www.worldsfactory.net/giochi/...ista-esclusiva

Scroll down for the English version. Quite an interesting read. Sadly, it seems the title is way off from release. The title "should" release sometime in 2015. Any sort of hiccups could easily push the title to 2016. The future is so far away!

D. Ring
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Shanoa Varhara
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

Quite a long wait for this one. This is one of the main MMOs I look forward to trying out due to the action based combat.

This game looks pretty badass. Hope they will choose a good western publisher for this.

E. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Siren

Game is going into CB for Korea soon, they are having sign ups

http://bbs.pub.game.daum.net/gaia/do...rticleId=1#top

Also a new teaser

E. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Siren

New video that shows the combat

D. Ring
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Shanoa Varhara
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

I really want to play this game and hope it releases on our side of the pond. But part of me fears slow updates that almost every Korean MMO import suffers from.

Obigatory screenshot of that delicious sorc.

E. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Siren

Here is some game play footage from Gamescom.

Nice eyecandy, but yawn.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 49 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast