Relic Weapons
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Eragon Mcdohl
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

I would rank 3 last, even after 4. It must be because it was the follow up to 2, but I just really disliked how drastically different it was. The battle system, the switching between characters, I thought it was all a step in the wrong direction. 4 made up for it by going back to a more normal battle system even though there were only 4 party members, and focused on one character. 5 was definitely more of that classic Suikoden feel, my only complaint being how long it took to get your True Rune, at least to me it felt like I was pretty far into the game/story before I got it. If there ever is a 6 I pray it takes place after 2 or 3 and there is plenty of callbacks to previous games.

Han Cholo
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Azor A'hai
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas

Quote Originally Posted by Zealot View Post
    A true Suikoden VI would be the game that finally moves the narrative into Harmonia, or at least lets us actually go see some sights inside.
    It's fucking pathetic that EVERYBODY KNOWS THAT'S WHAT SHOULD HAPPEN. Except Konami apparently.

RNGesus

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lenette Valkyr
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

Honestly I'll take any Suikoden game set in that world at this point, even if its not in Harmonia. Just because the future doesn't look so good at this point

Cerberus
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

At least let us get some remakes... I'm pretty sure suikoden 1 and 2 are the only games that i didn't mind restarting shortly after finishing just to make sure i got every character. (1 killed me when you get the set group at the end so can't fit the blacksmiths to get the last one.) I still say Yo in chat on games when i get on just because of suikoden 1.

Old Merits
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

I ended up playing 3 and 2 back to back after I completed 5

2>5/1>3

I didn't like 3 very much, it was a good game, but it didn't feel like a Suikoden game, combat is horrible , elements being tied to the characters sucked, strategic battles were AWFUL, there wasn't a conflict between countries/armies like in 1, 2 and 5, and the most important thing to me is that the recruit system was very simplistic, there was barely any sidequest to recruit people, you just talked asked them to join at the right time/place and that was it.

I didn't play 4 and I don't intend to.

I don't know if I want Konami to make a Suikoden VI seeing the state JRPGs are in right now, they'd probably change it so much to fit with nowadays public that it'd be unrecognizable most likely.

I know my po' ass is out of the loop, but my main gripe with JRPGs today would be there either aren't enough or too many are showing up on handhelds. Playing Xenoblade a few months back basically reminded me that the genre can still be good even if XB had a few flaws of its own. I think prior to that, the last game that'd get a nod from me would've been Radiant Historia, though it also seemed like it was maybe missing the last 1/4th of the game and got tweaked/rushed out to at least have an ending.

RNGesus

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lenette Valkyr
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

Yeah I always forget that III is the furthest out in the timeline of the Suikoden games. When I played it as a kid I always hoped for the return of an old man Geddoe and an adult Hugo in a future game. But IV took the series back like a 150 years and then V was slightly before I.

Han Cholo

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Azor A'hai
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas

Decided to boot up Suikoden V, and holy shit.. this game is a LOT better than I remembered. (haven't played it since it's release) Happy to report the PCSX2 1.0 runs it flawless! So far.. lol

Georg Prime is the man.

Yeah, my only real gripe with 5 is the slow start.

Eli Manning is my Lord and Savior
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus
    WoW Realm
    Greymane

3 is better than 4 imo. 3's combat system was different but at least it made shield characters more worthwhile due to the skill system, and I didn't mind how they handled the tier magic casting(I understand the logic behind it, and it made lower tier rune spells worthwhile until skill training is complete), and 4 was just completely awful. You're stuck sailing from island to island which takes FOREVER for awhile until you get Viki(pretty sure I remember her joining late), it's time period moves it away from every other Suikoden plotline(except Ted getting shoehorned in for nostalgia purposes) so there's really no connection to the other games that I enjoy about Suikoden. I could play Suikoden 2 and see someone from 1 again, or play Suikoden 3 and see some people from 2 or just some people with connections to them or vice-versa like Lucia, while subtle I always enjoyed that. And 4 really just felt like a ripoff retelling of the Soul Eater storyline again to me.

There's a part of me that hoped eventually there'd be some grand thing that pulled all the true rune holders together, at which point something like 4's disconnect wouldn't seem so bad. And then maybe an explanation for Jeane since apparently her Charm rune isn't a true rune.

Han Cholo

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Azor A'hai
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas

If you try to look at her through the dog's POV in Suikoden III I think she says something. The young look might just be a magic trick she pulls that works on humans I am guessing?

Perhaps. Also some potential misdirection introduced in 5 via Eresh and the two having "business" in the ruins in the hole. The fact Eresh conceals her face could possibly constitute some form of transcendence where Jeane hops from body to body over the generations. I'd be curious to see that PoV thing, though, since it's not ringing any bells at all.

But I don't want my title changed
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Fievel Mousekewitz
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

A true Suikoden VI would be the game that finally moves the narrative into Harmonia, or at least lets us actually go see some sights inside.
    God damn it this, if they ever do make VI and it's not in Harmonia I'm going to rage.

Black Belt
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Adajer Vonte
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Asura
    WoW Realm
    Tichondrius

Quote Originally Posted by Fievel View Post
    God damn it this, if they ever do make VI and it's not in Harmonia I'm going to rage.
    Rage = buying first day and playing it because of the drought in the series.

But I don't want my title changed
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Fievel Mousekewitz
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

Quote Originally Posted by Adajer View Post
    Rage = buying first day and playing it because of the drought in the series.
    But I will be very angry while doing it!

Very Sexy Nerd
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle

The thing is, when they make a Suikoden game in Harmonia, it'll likely be the last Suikoden game.

Not that we're even getting anything at this point.

(Also, this thread makes me really happy on the inside, seeing people discussing Suikoden like this, <3)

Han Cholo

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Azor A'hai
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas

All that happens in the dog PoV is that Jeane says "I can't hide anything from you, can I? Well don't tell anybody."
    Yes, while brief it was pretty interesting still..

Also.. I fucking absolutely love that they redid this song from III for Suikoden V.

Quote Originally Posted by Julian View Post
    The thing is, when they make a Suikoden game in Harmonia, it'll likely be the last Suikoden game.

Not that we're even getting anything at this point.

(Also, this thread makes me really happy on the inside, seeing people discussing Suikoden like this, <3)
    LOL and you all hated me for bumping it. I am happy to see it too, this series is too good to go on ignored. I hope to god for at least VI.. but it's unlikely. V was a good send off at least, it brings the best of the older games and goes even further with the combat mechanics/runes.

RNGesus

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lenette Valkyr
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

Yeah well fuck that. Seeing the bump and not hearing of a new game brings me more rage than it does joy at seeing people discuss the damn thing. Julian is weird

Elvaan Death Machine
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Pharaun Methelys
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Reading this thread is making me want to play through all of them again, yes even 4.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 33 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 14 ... LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

• Decrease Size
    Increase Size
  • Remove Text Formatting
  • Insert Link Insert Image Insert Video
  • Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text
  • Insert NSFW Tag
  • Insert Spoiler Tag