BG-Wiki Search
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    New Merits
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Coloring weapon categories.

Was adding WS and job rankings information for marksmanship and the other weapons as I get bored. I seen what was done to perk up the Job pages with the nice colored forms so I did the same for marksmanship.

Since I don't know wiki etiquette, thought I'd post a link to my talk page so people can comment on if its a good move.

https://www.bg-wiki.com/bg/User_talk:Soupbowl

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Septimus Atumre
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Thank you for doing that. There is always so much to do that certain tasks always get put off for another day.

How about making the job ratings, weapon skills, and equipment modification tables fixed width at 600 or 700 pixles? Also, try them out in one color to see how it looks, how does the blue (like the weapon skills table) on all of them?

Man, this means that I am going to have to restyle the weapon list and armor list tables. No rest for the wicked...

An exploitable mess of a card game
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Gouka Mekkyaku
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Diabolos

The rating header needs to darken; otherwise that's fine.

As for the weapon and armor list, we could do the light blue (I've been using that color for traits/items) or nq wikitable.

New Merits
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

I took your guys advice, though I did keep the mix of colors, I tried everything the one color scheme but it was so bland.
    Anyways can check the edits I did https://www.bg-wiki.com/bg/User_talk:Soupbowl.

Think its easier on the eyes and a little more uniform, let me know what you think.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Gouka Mekkyaku
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Diabolos

Can we try red WS? Either way, looks very nice!

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Gouka Mekkyaku
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Diabolos

Ok, I have a question: How the hell did you get that border for items without adding to each individual cell?

Edit: Nvm, I see the trick...I like lol. I wonder if we can do that with other pages we're planning on updating. Any potential issues with that?

New Merits
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Won't be any issues that I can think of as long as we change things and make it uniform around the wiki.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Septimus Atumre
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Maybe try a darker blue for the weapon list table. (Yugl has a few colors on his talk page.) Might give the table a little more pizazz.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Gouka Mekkyaku
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Diabolos

When do we plan on adding this to the real page?

New Merits
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Changed the weapons to dark blue, thanks for letting me know where those color schemes are, was just ripping them from class pages lol. List for weapons is so large not sure it can look any better then it does. I was just going to discuss colors and work out the page for a few days then start converting the live wiki over as i get time. Think I can start tonight if its looking good enough now though.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Gouka Mekkyaku
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Diabolos

Just a note, I edited your page because the element icon wasn't showing up for equipment (When you copy pasta to other programs, sometimes .gif turns into .gif?; so the icon wasn't appearing).

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Septimus Atumre
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

I can modify my weapon and armor parsing scripts to change the page tables to the new color scheme and replace all of the tables on all of the pages. (Someone else is going to have to convert the other pages, make the info for the pages missing it though.) It is all a matter of agreeing on said color scheme. lol

With that said, I would like the alt row and weapon columns to not share the same color. Also, I am guessing that the bulk of the table code is the same, the colors have just been changed.

New Merits
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

There was a slight change to the weapon list table, I placed cellpadding and spacing on the end.
    original:
    Code:
    ==Weapon List==

{| class=sortable style="text-align:center; background-color:#000878" width="100%" border="0"
    new:
    Code:
    ==Weapon List==
    {| class=sortable style="text-align:center; background-color:#799bfb" width="100%" border="0" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"

I agree about the alt row and weapon columns, I suck with color schemes. I modded ammo with a slightly different color for the name. I can't tell the difference on my netbook but my main monitor it looked pretty good.

For weapons list I just tried 4-5 different colors, none of which I think look that great maybe Yugl can come up with something. The other colors (Job Ratings etc.) seem fine to me, job ratings could maybe get toned down a little.

I can convert the other pages and update the info once you have done editing the parsing scripts Septimus.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Gouka Mekkyaku
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Diabolos

Added v2s to see what I came up with. The pink matches the combat skills for the main pages and the blue matches the color for the items pages.

Would be nice if we could place the name above the icons, so that you see

______Item______
    [Rare][EX][Moogle]

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Septimus Atumre
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Did a few different versions here. The cellpadding seemed a little too much, so I scaled it back to 2. Does not include all of the weapons, just enough to get a feel for how it will look when done.

Test 1 is the "as is" version of the page with new colors.

Test 2 has the tags (rare, ex, moogle) under the item name. I think that it looks a little too bulky on items that are otherwise one line.

Test 3 is something I thought up to make the tags stand out, but not take up as much room.

Thoughts?

New Merits
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

I like Yugl's V2 Job Ratings and Septimus test 3, I just tweaked the top few on test 3 to keep with the alternating row colors, thought it looked better. I liked Yugl's idea for the weapon list, but once i seen it in practice it did look a bit bulky, also good call on knocking padding down 1, it is better.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Septimus Atumre
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

I was going to put in a version of test 3 with the rare, ex, and moogle columns the regular row color, but the page was getting way too long. I was planning on posting versions of both to compare if people liked test 3 though.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Gouka Mekkyaku
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Diabolos

Just a note about rotating colors: We don't have an automated method, so anyone looking to add an item will have to disregard level or redo the pattern for each intermediate item.

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Slycer Ilerion
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

Quote Originally Posted by Yugl View Post
    Just a note about rotating colors: We don't have an automated method, so anyone looking to add an item will have to disregard level or redo the pattern for each intermediate item.
    I think we had this discussion already, and while it's nice for readability, it makes updating tables a nightmare. Until we have an automated way of producing a table with alternating row colors, I'd recommend not doing this.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Septimus Atumre
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Quote Originally Posted by Yugl View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Slycer View Post
    I think we had this discussion already, and while it's nice for readability, it makes updating tables a nightmare. Until we have an automated way of producing a table with alternating row colors, I'd recommend not doing this.
    The weapon and armor tables were probably the single biggest impetus for creating automation processes for the wiki. This is why we can have all new items, quests, missions, etc (including pictures) added on the day of the update. But needless to say, yes, we have a way to automate adding items to the table. We have had alternating colors for the weapons and armor tables since last December.