Thread: Psycho-Pass     submit to reddit submit to twitter

RNGesus
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lenette Valkyr
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

I've figured out what my issue with this season is. We have a villain who has motives that we sympathize with. But unlike Makishima, he can't be considered an anti-hero. He's doing straight up villain things and letting people die left and right. There is a huge conflict of interest as a viewer going on and I just can't seem to come to terms with it.

Also no Kogami still

2600klub

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Yeah this season feels a lot darker, because there isn't a redeeming feature on the bad guys side.

RNGesus

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lenette Valkyr
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

But normally that wouldn't be an issue, except in this case it feels like the bad guys are on the right side of the system lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrath View Post
    I've figured out what my issue with this season is. We have a villain who has motives that we sympathize with. But unlike Makishima, he can't be considered an anti-hero. He's doing straight up villain things and letting people die left and right. There is a huge conflict of interest as a viewer going on and I just can't seem to come to terms with it.

Also no Kogami still
    Quote Originally Posted by Gryffes View Post
    Yeah this season feels a lot darker, because there isn't a redeeming feature on the bad guys side.
    The fuck?

Makishima did straight up villain things. If you don't think supplying tools, motivation, safe house/killing rooms and access to a criminal (or turning people into them) is just as fucked up as this guy then I don't know what to think. I mean go watch season 1 and tell me how much of a swell guy Makishima is. Remember when he slit that girl's throat in front of Akane? WHAT AN ANTI HERO. Kogami is the only anti-hero I can think of in this show (well, I guess technically all enforcers are). In fact, missing Kogami is about the only thing I agree this season lacks.

What redeeming features did Makishima have apart from being interesting to watch? They both want to free people from the system, they have different ways of going about it.

Graduate of the BG School of FFXI
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Misses Beansman
    FFXIV Server
    Adamantoise
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

As much as I'm enjoying this season it's pretty much confirming what I thought after season 1 ended. A lot of what made the first season great was the well executed moral ambiguity and seeing the show break it over its thigh with a sicking crack. That scene when the guy in the helmet beats a women to death with a hammer while a crowd a people just watch dumbfounded sent chills down my spine. A lot of the stuff in this season just doesn't have the same impact when you know full and well the system is evil.

This show stresses me out sometimes.

RNGesus

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lenette Valkyr
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

Quote Originally Posted by Elcura View Post
    The fuck?

Makishima did straight up villain things. If you don't think supplying tools, motivation, safe house/killing rooms and access to a criminal (or turning people into them) is just as fucked up as this guy then I don't know what to think. I mean go watch season 1 and tell me how much of a swell guy Makishima is. Remember when he slit that girl's throat in front of Akane? WHAT AN ANTI HERO. Kogami is the only anti-hero I can think of in this show (well, I guess technically all enforcers are). In fact, missing Kogami is about the only thing I agree this season lacks.

What redeeming features did Makishima have apart from being interesting to watch? They both want to free people from the system, they have different ways of going about it.
    That's all he needs. Like I stated, the biggest issue is not having a character I can root for. I agree with the villain's ideals but he's not likeable like Makishima. The heroes stand on the wrong side of the system and without Kogami aren't all that likeable.

Season 1 was a long time ago, so if I remember Makishima as more of an anti-hero than a villain then that is a credit to his character being fun to watch. In 2 years I'm still gonna remember this current guy as nothing more than a villain who liked to massacre people. Of course he still has many episodes to go to change that, I'm just talking about what I've seen so far.

And what did Makishima have going for him by episode 5 of season 1? You're counting your chickens before they've hatched, since we haven't seen enough about the new guy to say he's worse or uninteresting. I agree things are weird without Kogami, but Akane has been filling the void and is consistently awesome (and currently the best character in the show, and might be even after Kogami shows up again) as well as Ginoza. It's also interesting to see the new enforcers but we haven't had much time with them either.

RNGesus

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lenette Valkyr
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

Of course he still has many episodes to go to change that, I'm just talking about what I've seen so far.
    Thanks for reiterating my point. Sorry for discussing the show as it happens, I'll be sure to not say how I feel about anything SO FAR because we haven't seen all of it yet.

Anyway, today's episode was the best yet imo. What is going on with Togane has me very interested and I have a feeling that he is somehow...

Spoiler: show
    Kogame in disguise or some shit. But I have no idea how. Or at the very least closely related to him. But then again some of the shit he says reminds me more of Makishima so who knows.

Thanks for reiterating my point. Sorry for discussing the show as it happens, I'll be sure to not say how I feel about anything SO FAR because we haven't seen all of it yet.
    So you talk about your impression of him in two years time despite having not seen enough to form a decent opinion of him compared to Makishima? Say what you will, but you were jumping the gun a bit.

Sounds legit.

RNGesus

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lenette Valkyr
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

Quote Originally Posted by Elcura View Post
    So you talk about your impression of him in two years time despite having not seen enough to form a decent opinion of him compared to Makishima.

Sounds legit.
    Considering I already said that he has time to change that...

Maybe you should come back to the thread when the show ends if all you want are final impressions rather than ongoing and changing ones.

Considering I already added that he has time to change that... Once again sorry for commenting on what we've seen so far.
    Maybe if you did so with consideration for what we haven't seen (or even with an accurate grasp on Makishima's character) it would be easier on you. Ongoing commentary of a series includes incomplete, uninformed conclusions of a character 6 episode deep. How striking.

RNGesus

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lenette Valkyr
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

An ongoing discussion by its very nature is going to be incomplete. If you'd stop treating those comments on the same level as comments about a finished show, we wouldn't be having this discussion in the first place. I am not obligated to find something entertaining just because it might be leading to something much better. Sure, if that happens I can go back and change my opinion on the buildup. But until that something better reveals itself, I am going to call a spade a spade and say a lot of this shit doesn't make sense as far as storytelling goes.

As for your season 1 episode 5/6 comparison. I'll give you that Makishima may have been very villainous at that point (although I still think Kamui's action are on a much larger scale), but the problem is the structure of the story that has been presented in that time. In season 1 we, the audience, didn't really know what was behind the Sybil system. As far as we were concerned it was a just system with some potential flaws that we didn't quite get yet. Enter Makishima, he's the clear bad guy hellbent on ruining a just society. The bad guy was clear, the good guys were on the right side, yadda yadda yadda.

Problem with season 2 is that we know that the system isn't just. It makes it a lot harder stomaching the bad guy's actions knowing that he is fighting against an unfair system. The good guy/bad guy dynamic is all out of wack. There's no one to really root for, because even though the MC might be a lot better than she was in season 1, she is still fighting with a corrupt system that has no place in society.

Of course, when I looked it up I realized the writer for season 2 isn't the same which might explain a lot.

I don't treat all comments on that level, but you were just wrong about Makishima and what kind of character he was which started all of this. Then you start making comparison to an incomplete character on that.. He wasn't an anti-hero or a good guy, but he was interesting and fun to watch. So far Kamui is just following in his footsteps but the story means we can't have that long ass reveal.

I don't see how the good guy/bad guy dynamic is out of whack. Kamui is fighting a bad system using horrible methods, he's not a good person. Akane is fighting a bad system using justified methods, she's a good person. Sybil is manipulating people with questionable motives. Sybil is a necessary evil, and dealing with it knowing that makes Akane's actions much more potent. I don't know if they'll eventually address Sybil or if Kamui will take them all to a point of no return, but it's clear who is good, who is bad, who is suspicious and who is a victim.

Knowing what you know means you can't have a slow building drama that gradually reveals its secrets, it's supposed to be somewhat ambiguous but it's obvious who the good guys are and who to root for (hint: Kogami 2.0). I don't get what's so confusing unless shit being unclear right now is frustrating.

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Tekni Wintersbane
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Siren
    WoW Realm
    Mok'Nathal

So i tried watching this on netflix but theres no subtitles? what the fuck. How they expect people to understand japanese.

Not sure what you're viewing it through, but there should be like a little megaphone icon that'll let you select language/subs on the screen somewhere, perhaps when viewing full episode list.

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Tekni Wintersbane
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Siren
    WoW Realm
    Mok'Nathal

was watching it on my ps4, i watched like 2-3 minutes of it, and then skipped forward, there was no subtitles available. Yet i watched dead man wonderland and that had subtitles. so they are definitely enabled

I'm more gentle than I look.
    Mr. Feathers AKA Mr. Striations
    All hail Lord Yamcha

BG Level

Mithra Ero-Sensei
    Sex Manthra

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Erosensei Gulkeeva
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server