Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Initial D     submit to reddit submit to twitter

Hyperion Cross
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kai Bond
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

I've watched 1-14 through the weekend. Pretty much raging somewhat.

The manga's not ended yet either, apparently it's Initial-Dragging on . . .

I'll settle for a Stage 6 movie type deal!

Also I really really enjoyed the episodes 9 10 and 11, I thought it was very well done and thought out in comparison to the other races. I dunno, I guess it's my preference inside me speaking that I typically enjoy watching chars that's turned to bad for one reason or another, especially over a woman. And then there's the char type where typically the ace demonstrates their abilities again. Hard to explain.

I hope Funi decides to dub it regardless of the ratings. Somewhere on the Initial D forums elsewhere suggest it's not going to happen due to low ratings, etc

Hyperion Cross
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kai Bond
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

Well it's been a year almost but for anyone not keeping up to date; Final Stage with Takumi vs Shinji to be out in less than a month in 2 separate releases (2 eps per release):

Episode List:

• ACT.1 -「ナチュラル」"Natural"
    • ACT.2 -「最強の敵」"The Strongest Enemy"
    • ACT.3 - 「危険な匂い」"Dangerous Scent"
    • ACT.4 - 「プロジェクト・ドリーム」"Project Dream"

Initial D Final Stage Official Trailer:

http://i4.minus.com/iyloGOLdEwVkJ.jpg
    Animax announced on March 1st that Initial D Final Stage will be available starting on May 16th, 2014 on its new subscription VOD (Video On Demand) service which allows subscribers to watch all the latest anime series. Initial D Final Stage will start right after where Fifth Stage left off. There are a total of four episodes that makes up this mini stage.

Opening and Ending theme had also been announced. To our surprise, they are using two of m.o.v.e's unreleased tracks. The OP will be Outsoar The Rainbow and the ED will be Days. The OP also happens to be the same theme song they use for Initial D Arcade Stage 8 Infinity. For those of you that follows the forums, you'll know that m.o.v.e disbanded as of March 2013. Initial D just isn't the same without m.o.v.e. Maybe the producer also thinks the same way, hence the songs choice.

Final Stage Airdate Schedule: (Subject to change with notifications)

• (#01) Episode 1 - 2: Friday May 16th, 2014
    • (#02) Episode 3 - 4: Sunday June 22nd, 2014

(Note: Episodes will be available on Animax PLUS for ¥864 [$8.40 USD] for each two episodes, free if you have Animax on SkyPerfect TV.)

avex announced on November 6th, 2013 in a flyer found inside the Initial D Manga Vol.48, that Initial D Final Stage will be released in Spring 2014. Initial D Final Stage is a mini anime series that takes place right after the end of Fifth Stage. The mini series will show the long-awaited final fierce downhill battle between Takumi's 86 and Shinji's 86.

INITIAL D FINAL STAGE
    Trailer: 【NEW】頭文字D Initial D Final Stage CM
    Official Website: http://www.animax.co.jp/special/initial-d
    Available on Animax PLUS 2014.05.16

Official sources / affiliated websites:
    » 頭文字[イニシャル]D avex | http://mv.avex.jp/initial/initial.html
    » 新劇場版「頭文字D」公式サイト | http://initiald-movie.com
    » Animax Plus | http://plus.animax.co.jp
    » M.O.V.E Official Website | http://electropica.com
    » ヤングマガジン 頭文字D Portal Site | http://kc.kodansha.co.jp/SEP/02888/01/initiald_portal

Professional Pixel Pusher
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Very nice.
    I had gotten all caught up last year, only to realize the show didn't end when the episodes were done.

Yoshi P
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Dead Gye
    FFXIV Server
    Lamia
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

My body is ready.

Caesar Salad
    BG Level

How do I get into this?

Hyperion Cross
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kai Bond
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

That's a good question. Initially (no pun intended lol) I was never interested in the anime but after I briefly read how the main character (Takumi) uses an inferior car but superior skills/instincts to beat people with significantly better cars I got a bit hooked, it's not that I like seeing the underdog win but I just enjoy this sort of aspect because that's how I viewed myself for a large portion of my life when it comes equipment and my own output. And I would say the first 12 eps or so got me watching it properly because I found Takumi to be a likable character/nice guy.

Anyways, there's a total of 6 seasons, until later it's not purely about racing so without spoiling it for you:

First Stage (26 eps)
    Think there's a total of 5 races for the main character and 2 side races. Takumi is initially reluctant to race as he has no interest in cars, and the other main characters keep getting him to race in various ways. The CGI for the cars/races is very conspicuous but this was done in 1998 to be fair.

Extra Stage 1 (OVA)
    Side story of a side character from Stage 1

Second Stage (13 eps)
    Art/style is improved a bit; the cars are animated marginally better. It focuses on Takumi's character development and getting him to appreciate a car's internals.

Third Stage (movie)
    Full length movie, resolves an issue raised in Stage 2, sets the stage for the next season

Fourth Stage (24 eps)
    More race focused, main characters are further developed/explored. Art and 3D is more or less "settled" or "perfected" here

Extra Stage 2 (OVA)
    Set between eps 9-10 of Fourth Stage if I recall correctly, it resolves issues raised in Extra Stage 1

Fifth Stage (14 eps)
    Similar to Stage 4, but a specific portion of the episodes focuses on one of the other main characters and the meaning behind "D"

Final Stage (4 eps, next month)
    Final race (they left viewers with a cliff hanger at the end of stage 5) and closing I guess

(sometime this year and next year)
    Some sort of live action
    And a trilogy if 3 movies which currently appears to be a retelling of the entire series?

---

The thing is with this anime is that it's probably a good gateway anime for car enthusiasts, but there's otherwise not a lot going for it for a typical anime. Fanservice is minimal (though the OVAs are questionable), and while there are some comedic moments, most of it is generally serious/mature. All racing is done on Japanese mountain paths rather than your typical street (i.e. Need for Speed Underground/Fast and Furious), there's not much supernatural things happening besides a few questionable stunts that defies a bit of physics; but in general it's believable and realistic.

---

There is also a live action movie currently existing from 2005 which is Hong Kong produced. If you watched that first and then decide you like it, the anime should be enjoyable. Fans of the anime were up in arms over this as there was some questionable changes on the character front and naturally for the purposes of fitting it into a movie they skipped a lot of details. It's better not to relate the both and watch it purely as a separate story (it basically is an abridged version of First and Second stages).

And if you've ever seen Fast and Furious 3 - Tokyo Drift or played Need for Speed: Carbon, the final scene/race in Tokyo Drift and the mountain path races in Carbon is what this anime is comprised of.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...Game_Cover.jpg

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sath Fenrir
    FFXIV Server
    Cactuar
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

It's all on Netflix except for season 5. It's worth a watch, I really loved it.

Hyperion Cross
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kai Bond
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

I guess it's not fair to use scenes from the latest stage as an attempt to pull you in (considering the animation is basically perfected, compared to first stage), but this in particular I really liked ... or maybe it's the music:

This race in particular is Takumi's penultimate race but also in my opinion it really makes Takumi appear very proficient and at the peak of his skills.

Note that the whole series uses Eurobeat (somewhat fast paced dance-like music) for its BGM/important moments.

The first race Takumi (white car) participates in and also from the first stage, note the animation difference but don't let that put you off, this race kinda was the one to create the fanbase (thanks to the "Running in the 90s" track):

The clip is modified to cut off some chit chat, but is watchable.

Also, the Funimation dub is very good; nothing has been clipped, so if you don't feel like reading subtitles, the funi dub is perfectly sufficient until fifth stage. Voices fit perfectly and they even swear!
    Do not, what so ever, get anything that might be labelled "Tokyo-Pop" dub -- it changes things drastically and uses hip-hop music; they were eliminated luckily by the second stage (or third?)

Yoshi P
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Dead Gye
    FFXIV Server
    Lamia
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

I didn't know shit about cars when I started watching this show, but I started to get interested in them and understand a little bit because of it lol. I found myself a dual audio torrent for stages 1-4 quite a while ago on demonoid. I've watched in both english and japanese a few times each, and give this dub my seal of approval (which is not something you'll see often).

Hyperion Cross
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kai Bond
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

Final Stage Ep1 raw is out; and floating on youtube too.

Not sure if it's OK to link it though given the rules and such, but a very basic search will find it.

Spoiler: show
    Who is that mysterious man driving Shinji's (I presume, based on no subtitles, the rally 86 was transformed) 86? Why do I half think it's Bunta lol

YOU BLACK, MIDNIGHT, EVIL MOTHERFUCKERS!!! BLACK MAGIC, DARKNESS!!! YOU RAW, DARKNESS!!! YOU, FUCKING, DELIRIOUS MOTHERFUCKER!
    You were cold as ice.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sho Ryuuken
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

I knew waiting on this anime to get around to completing the season would pay off.

Now I can marathon the shit out of this from Season 1. Love me some Initial D.

Hyperion Cross
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kai Bond
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

Wait, assuming you're gonna catch up within a few days, the second episode isn't anywhere yet, and the final 2 eps are released next month. Expect the full 4 episodes by july I'd say. So don't marathon it until then maybe lol! I'll keep the thread updated on the releases.

2600klub
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

So the final 4 eps are now all available.

It's overrrrrr it's finally overrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

Annnnd the reboot movies out sometime this year :D

Pandemonium
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

This reminds me—I should finally finish watching this. I have only seen the first season. I've always loved the games, and have traveled long distances to find arcades in the US that had them. Considering that it's completed now, this is a good time to begin binge-watching.

Yoshi P
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Dead Gye
    FFXIV Server
    Lamia
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Yes. Marathon the shit out of it now. Then watch it again in the opposite language. Then put the songs in your car and try to make your tires slide out doing some late breaking sharp curves/turns. Have fun in rainy/snowy weather, but try not to slam into a parked car like my friend did. Then watch it again.

Hyperion Cross
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kai Bond
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

For anyone that still cares for this anime, the 2014 anime movie in august got uploaded onto youtube. No subtitles, but if you know anything of the plot, it's basically the same. I watched it without problems understanding what's going on:

The movie is: a reboot/retelling of the story all the way up Takumi's first race
    All voice actors have changed, but characters remain the same
    No Eurobeat
    But it looks gorgeous!!!!
    This is the first in three movies and will follow the manga closely
    Therefore, next movie should be the R32 and EG6 race
    With the last movie ending at Ryosuke's FC
    (Anime shuffled the Sil80 race around so the end of first stage would close with Ryosuke)

Quote Originally Posted by The Stig View Post
    No Eurobeat
    Unacceptable!

Caesar Salad
    BG Level

The eurobeat is what made this anime for me. When I'm driving and happen to do a slide or skid I still hear/hymn a random beat from the show haha.