+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

I'm only skeptical of the possible requirements for countering Agony. It's basically a PvE equivalent of PvP mods on gear other games have used which eventually became a requirement if you wanted to succeed in a specific venue. I wouldn't be the slightest bit surprised if they expect only the first 3-5 tiers of the new dungeon being clearable without the other armor slots available, too. Oh well, I'm always more concerned about the open world experience. New zone can help, but that's also contingent on its layout.

CustomTitle
    Banned for Duping
    HOT LITTLE SNATCH

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Jam Valesti
    FFXIV Server
    Leviathan

The whole concept of the Agony debuff is fucking retarded. Just an extremely shitty way to draw out how long it takes to complete the content. If I have a badass group run the new dungeon on day 1 we're gonna get fucked over because of some stupid unavoidable debuff and will have to repeatedly grind just to continue making progress. How the fuck is that a good idea? I love everything else about this update, including the addition of a new tier of gear, but the idea behind the debuff just screams absolutely horrible design.

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sci Gauss
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix

Considering the fact they let you set the difficulty for the dungeon, you might be able to complete it day 1 with no infused gear on the lowest difficulty. But if you try going in there and set it to max, you'll likely melt. The devil really is in the details.

GW1 history lesson: This mechanic was used in the first game, one monster type had an extremely painful debuff that would pretty much kill you. And it was baked into the storyline, so you were supposed to see these enemies and know not to fight them. But eventually you could complete a quest and get your armor infused (no slots of anything, they just said "infused" on the armor), and at that point the debuff did piddly damage. So this monster that used to mean certain death, was now no more difficult than any other.

I do not consider myself hardcore, for my playstyle I do think legendary weapons are a bit out of my reach, but I do think exotic gear is too easy to obtain. So they added a tier of gear that gives us something to strive for that is not to the level of Legendary, and more challenging than Exotic gear. I am happy about this. I really do not understand why people are going crazy. It makes sense to make that gear a bit more stronger. Also to note they cannot be upgraded with runes or sigils, which takes away alot of the exotic bonuses we are used to, we do not know what the new infusion gives in terms of stats or bonuses yet either.

This was def needed in the game.

Yarglebargle
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

Quote Originally Posted by Shiyo View Post
    Why does brokenpromises.org redirect me to the guildwars2.com site??
    Shiyo I love you girl but goddamn really need to stop jumping to conclusions.

I will agree that Anet said some extremely idealistic stuff, things that they now realize were slightly unreasonable. They gave it a try and wound up with a ton of people complaining about the lack of progression. They're taking a baby step in a direction for those people. I say baby step because all of those people bitching and moaning aren't looking at how bad this could have been when compared with how WoW handles things like this. If you weren't one of those people complaining about lack of progression then this shouldn't bother you at all because you don't have to partake in this content. Based on the Ascended accessories we can make an educated guess that the full armor set might have more raw stats but it won't have all the extra things that runes give you (because that would mean that there are literally hundreds of versions of each piece of armor), which means that those pieces of armor might not be used anywhere else in the game. As for infusions we know nothing about those at all so people need to stop being all doom and gloom.

Tagus

Quote Originally Posted by Takiwaki View Post
    I really do not understand why people are going crazy.
    Seriously. I dunno if maybe it's because we're all former ffxi'ers who actually had to earn shit before and know what it means to truly grind, but it feels like the average person playing gw2 is fucking retarded. I mean... you could beat 95% of shit in this game naked. What does it matter if the new armor has a small +1 on it.

I'm almost as bad as Mazmaz
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level

+5 stats is game breaking.

Quote Originally Posted by Tagus View Post
    Seriously. I dunno if maybe it's because we're all former ffxi'ers who actually had to earn shit before and know what it means to truly grind, but it feels like the average person playing gw2 is fucking retarded. I mean... you could beat 95% of shit in this game naked. What does it matter if the new armor has a small +1 on it.
    ^ I think this is the reason. I played GW1 and it took more time to get the dungeon armors there (when it first came out) than it does in GW2. If they do this right then it gives longevity to those that like armor progression. Ascended armors seem to be challenging to obtain but not freakishly hard like Legendaries. Also the fact that they will be constantly upgradable by infusing is a good thing.

CustomTitle
    Banned for Duping
    HOT LITTLE SNATCH

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Jam Valesti
    FFXIV Server
    Leviathan

I think a lot of the concern comes not from the ascended gear itself, but the fact they're (kind of) going against something they claimed they didn't want to do with introducing new, stronger gear and adding a "gear treadmill" as people call it. The very minor upgrade in these Ascended gears is absolutely fine in my eyes (and anyone who isn't retarded, I'd wager), but it can become an issue if they keep introducing stronger and stronger gear and balancing content around it. For those of us playing consistently it likely won't even be an issue that even comes up, but if someone stops playing the game for a year or two and comes back completely undergeared, it means they have to progress through all the content one by one just to be able to clear the next dungeon, when one thing that drew a lot of people to GW2 was the fact you could do whatever the hell you want whenever you want and still feel like you're getting something from it.

The thing is its just for that one particular dungeon, we do not know the extent of how much we need to infuse in order to progress either. I think its a damn cool idea having a set of armor that you can constantly upgrade in order to progress (not stat wise), I do not think there will be additional tiers going forward in terms of stats, what I took from the blog post is that for sure there will be content added to take advantage of having to upgrade ascended armors in different ways.

We still have no idea what kind of upgrades infusion gives either. I doubt they will be basic stat upgrades but more along the lines of tools to help counter what ever content is added going forward.

Thing is many people are not understanding that this is not GW1, in order to survive, it has to be different, and its obvious exotics atm were way too easy to obtain. I am sure technically they couldn't just change exotic gear to be upgraded or infused. So they needed another tier that can facilitate some kind of horizontal growth.

Agony is a good way of doing that, maybe there will be different types that will change with new content. I mean why not give us something to work for every new update? and by this I mean not just new content to steamroll through but content that makes us have to adapt and grow.

No one complained when we had to go infuse armor to get through the GW1 prophecies campaign.

It's also very, very important to remember that you cannot put runes into the armor once armor-slots are released. I think that in and of itself will keep Ascended armor from being "better" than exotics. You'll be missing out on fairly big single-stat gains as well as any 6-piece bonuses you want for a build - some of which are amazing.

CustomTitle
    Banned for Duping
    HOT LITTLE SNATCH

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Jam Valesti
    FFXIV Server
    Leviathan

Let's not pass that off as fact just yet. It seems there is no gem slot for the rings but that doesn't mean that it's guaranteed not to have rune slots on the armour pieces.

Nah, they stated that ascended armors forgo the regular rune slots (not just the rings), I think this is why they made another actual tier. Most likely technical limits too. The slot is now used for infusing only. What that gives we still do not know, but its obviously going to be different than what regular runes give. hopefully this would allow side grades, and more situational gear.

So I would take it as fact as it applies to all ascended tier gear.

Ascended gear works a little bit differently than other gear types. The stats and functionality normally added to gear through upgrade components are actually built into Ascended items. Instead of upgrade slots, Ascended gear has Infusion slots, and rarer versions of the items also come with additional Agony Resistance built into them. Players will be able to acquire Ascended Rings in the Fractals of the Mists dungeon, and Ascended items worn on the back can be acquired through special Mystic Forge recipes.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ramuh
    WoW Realm
    Kilrogg

I don't even see it as a gear treadmill. It's not like they are replacing epixs w/a higher ilv epic. They are adding in a new tier of gear. It's no different from upgrading from yellow to exotic or blue to green. A gear treadmill is when they outright replace same quality gear by making a newer version that is better.

On top of that I think it's good for the game. There needs to be some type of progression aside legendaries and looks, even if it has a seudo gatting system attached to it

Quote Originally Posted by Katlan View Post
    I don't even see it as a gear treadmill. It's not like they are replacing epixs w/a higher ilv epic. They are adding in a new tier of gear. It's no different from upgrading from yellow to exotic or blue to green. A gear treadmill is when they outright replace same quality gear by making a newer version that is better.

On top of that I think it's good for the game. There needs to be some type of progression aside legendaries and looks, even if it has a seudo gatting system attached to it
    Yea but all the angry fans think that this is the beginning of the end cus they will keep adding more and more tiers etc lol. To me ascended seems to be the last tier. The fact that they are giving ascended gear long term customization to deal with new harder content already says that they dont plan on replacing it anytime soon and are to be the "end game" gear from now on.

Impossiblu
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Prothescar Centursa
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

Wish ANet would make a post to shut the idiots up, it's getting annoying at this point. All they have to say is "Ascended gear is simply a different form of Exotic, we will not be adding gear that becomes progressively better than exotics"

I think 95% of GW2 players are too inept to realize that losing access to runes easily balances out the minor difference in base stats.

Cake Mix

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Cakey Yama
    FFXIV Server
    Leviathan
    FFXI Server
    Unicorn

Quote Originally Posted by Prothescar View Post
    Wish ANet would make a post to shut the idiots up, it's getting annoying at this point. All they have to say is "Ascended gear is simply a different form of Exotic, we will not be adding gear that becomes progressively better than exotics"

I think 95% of GW2 players are too inept to realize that losing access to runes easily balances out the minor difference in base stats.
    Except the ring's slightly better than the exotic.

Quote Originally Posted by Akiyama View Post
    Except the ring's slightly better than the exotic.
    Yes that's exactly part of his point lol

Cake Mix

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Cakey Yama
    FFXIV Server
    Leviathan
    FFXI Server
    Unicorn

Quote Originally Posted by Takiwaki View Post
    Yup the stats even without runes are slightly better. If it will balance out due to lack of runes, maybe, but that depends on what infusion gives.
    Armor we don't know about, but the ring, even without the gem (as the stats already on the ring make up for it) make up for the loss, plus you get whatever offensive/defensive/omniwhatever bonus, so yeah. Armor will probably work similarly.

Impossiblu
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Prothescar Centursa
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

Unless the armor is giving me +15% boon duration on two pieces and the other things I get from runes, it isn't better than my exotics.

Point is that there are stats on Runes that cannot be replaced. Same for Sigils.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast