Thread: All Things Rock(Music)     submit to reddit submit to twitter

29 in magical dog years
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Jackson Junior
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

Quote Originally Posted by Melena View Post
    Supposedly KMFDM is going to put out a new album & tour, so we shall see.
    Don't toy with my emotions

unrelated

You just got served THE CALLISTO SPECIAL
    SASSAGE KING OF DA WORLD
    cheap hawks gay

BG Level

Re: All Things Rock(Music)

I started a Pandora account yesterday and have a channel based on Strung Out...it's nothing but old Fat/Epitath with some stuff like Killswitch and Thrice mixed in, I'm in punk rock heaven.

edit: anyone know any good j-rock/j-metal bands? I have shit like The Pillows but looking for harder stuff, like the first OP of Death Note

29 in magical dog years
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Jackson Junior
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

Bagel
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

Can't think of many good JP bands, but here's what springs to mind:

Shadow, pretty solid old-school melodeath; think early In Flames/DT.
    Growls aren't great, but songwriting is solid and musicmanship impeccable. Very clean production, as expected from the genre.

If POWUUUUURRRRR is your thing, Galneryus fits the bill.
    The kitch, over-the-top attitude of Hammerfall/Rhapsody (of Fire), the song structures and keyboards of Blind Guardian, the tempo of Dragonforce, the vocals of Edguy (with a Japanese accent); this band is pretty much a summary of Power Metal.

Anyway, Metal Archives has a per-country index if you want more.

Edit: Shit, you said "harder stuff", hadn't noticed.

BG's worst Rangers fan
    Fleury 2; Lundqvist 0
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Bad Karma
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Kel'Thuzad

J-rock, easily one of my favorite bands of all time even tho I cant understand a word of it.

At least I speak fucking German that I can understand Rammstein

SASSAGE KING OF DA WORLD
    cheap hawks gay

BG Level

Re: All Things Rock(Music)

Going to post more Strung Out because shut up, that's why. Normally I'm a proponent of listening to whatever evokes a reaction in you regardless of genre, makes you tap your foot, bob your head, or pump your fist. This is the one exception where I'll aggressively push this band on people and point out that if they don't like them they're just wrong and dumb and ugly and smell bad.

They've been around for twenty some years and are probably winding down their careers, if you get the opportunity to see them before they're gone I can't recommend it enough. Related: they're playing two shows at the Palladium in Hollywood this month with Pennywise, Lagwagon, and Pulley, fuck you, California.

Bonus ye olde punk rock:

Bagel
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

Right. Mah turn to have a request: I'm looking for Dissoclones.

I already know the obvious ones:

(bit of a stretch as far as Watain is concerned, I know)

While I'm on the subject, I might as well educate the few worthless wretches that are, to their great shame and sucktitude, unfamiliar with the original:
    Dissection was a Swedish band that, in the span of only 3 releases (mostly the first 2), managed to pretty much singlehandedly creating Melodic Black Metal and greatly influence a wide variety of (Metal) genres; thanks to Jon Nödtveidt's genius.
    They had, as mentionned 3 full-length releases:
    1993: The Somberlain - an offering that, although already showcasing greatness, lacked some polishing.

1995: Storm of the Light's Bane - the best album that ever was and will be. Any who disagree have defective ears and/or brains.

2006 (long delay - Nödtveidt was temporarily deprived of his freedom in the interim): Reinkaos: a fairly good, but in no way visionary Melodeath record. They stopped innovating and started following, albeit with proficiency:

Shortly afterwards, Nötveidt killed himself and the band disbanded.

So, anyway, any Dissoclones welcome, if I missed any. As great as The Somberlain and Storm of the Light's Bane are, I require new, though similar, nourishment!

29 in magical dog years
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Jackson Junior
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

Idk, although I listened to a lot of Dissection a while back, nothing comes to mind as obvious Dissoclones. I looked in a couple books but they only mention Notveidt's other bands The Black and Ophthalamia, neither of which were particularly good when he was in them, though the newest (2008's Alongside Death) The Black album is worth a listen. Have you listened to the newest Absu? That album is pretty decent.

Also, if we are posting old vids, then

A. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Gilgamesh

Well, you're already familiar with Sacramentum's FAFTS, which is probably the pinnacle of that particular flavor (as much as I love the pre-prison Dissection, it feels a bit weak compared to that disc). If there's anything out there that can top that, I'd certainly love to hear it.

I remember enjoying that album by The Black waaay the fuck back in high school, Book of Leviathan I think it was? but I don't think I've listened to it since. Honestly had no idea Nodtveidt was involved with Ophthalamia, but the only exposure I've ever had to them was the Deathcrush cover (in my book, it's the best rendition not recorded by Mayhem, for what that's worth) that was included on that old Euronymous tribute comp. Anything from them worth checking out?

29 in magical dog years
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Jackson Junior
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

I don't see an album called Book of Leviathan, but Leviathan was Ophthalamia's name before they changed it (somewhere around 1989-1991). I haven't listened to Oph in like a decade and I don't remember being impressed by Via Dolorosa and To Elisha, but I listened to shitty music back then and probably wasn't the best judge. And from what it looks like in Ekeroth's book Swedish Death Metal that Nodtveidt did some vocals, and it sounds like he was only one of three vocalists throughout the band's life. The Black had the Black Blood demo and The Priest of Satan album with Jon, and that's it that I can find.

Edit: EM suggests Unanimated, so

Fuck It, I'm Goin Deep Fan Club President
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ifrit

loving me some moving mountains lately
    Spoiler: show

SASSAGE KING OF DA WORLD
    cheap hawks gay

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by BadKarma View Post
    J-rock, easily one of my favorite bands of all time even tho I cant understand a word of it.

At least I speak fucking German that I can understand Rammstein

Awesome, thank you, and that Death Note song is still awesome

Bagel
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

Jakson: good call on Unanimated; don't know why I forgot them, especially since Life Demise is covered on Thulcandra's "Under the Frozen Sun".

Quote Originally Posted by Moridam View Post
    Well, you're already familiar with Sacramentum's FAFTS, which is probably the pinnacle of that particular flavor (as much as I love the pre-prison Dissection, it feels a bit weak compared to that disc). If there's anything out there that can top that, I'd certainly love to hear it.

I remember enjoying that album by The Black waaay the fuck back in high school, Book of Leviathan I think it was? but I don't think I've listened to it since. Honestly had no idea Nodtveidt was involved with Ophthalamia, but the only exposure I've ever had to them was the Deathcrush cover (in my book, it's the best rendition not recorded by Mayhem, for what that's worth) that was included on that old Euronymous tribute comp. Anything from them worth checking out?
    Thanks, I'll check The Black/Ophthalamia, didn't know them. Book of Leviathan is apparently a track on the "Priest of Satan" release.

On to part 2 of my much-acclaimed (no, really!) rants on terrible and great music from specific countries.
    This one'll be slightly longer since I suspect the readership to be much less familiar with the subject matter.
    Teh country: France
    The sins: Laurent Voulzy, Alain Souchon, Charles Aznavour, Michel Sardou, Michel Fugain, France Gall,... the list goes on an on, but I care not to further explore it.

The redeeming: French Rock.
    Rich lyrics, oft politically-charged (left-wing), sometimes just poetic or humoristic, pretty good riffage.

1.The legend: Noir Désir.

Note: the vid uses actual deaf people to speak out the lyrics in sign language; it's pretty badass. Before the song, they bemoan the (at the time) higher than ever election scores of the far-right xenophobic National Front.

2. The relatively new kids on the block: Eiffel.
    The singer happens to look very much like Noir Désir's Betrand Cantat, but they're not a complete clone nonetheless.
    Lyrics are much more esoteric, but still ripe with left-wing political rhethoric.

3. The parody version: Les Fatals Picards.
    These guys manage to write both witty lyrics and kick-ass music, so mad props.

(speculating on the aftermath of the death of popular singer Johnny Halliday - he didn't take it very well and had the label remove the song from the CD)

BG's worst Rangers fan
    Fleury 2; Lundqvist 0

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Bad Karma
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Kel'Thuzad

okay guy I guess
    BG Level

weird

Member since 2006 and still can't think of a title.
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Acanis Lindri
    FFXIV Server
    Midgardsormr
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck
    WoW Realm
    Kil'jaeden

I enjoy My Darkest Days, but Matt isn't anywhere close to Adam's league on vocal talents. Maybe he'll shock me but not holding out hope.

BG's worst Rangers fan
    Fleury 2; Lundqvist 0

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Bad Karma
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Kel'Thuzad

Even if you hate this one watch the first 30 seconds or so "*sobbing* I'm pregnant" (death metal scream) "NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO O OOO"

God fuck I love Chelsea Grin

The opening kicks on this fucking song are brutal

And some underground stuff

BG's worst Rangers fan
    Fleury 2; Lundqvist 0

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Bad Karma
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Kel'Thuzad

RIP Mitch ; ;

okay guy I guess
    BG Level

full album is on youtube: http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list...nd0B4FItvsq1u_
    also if anyone wants to PM me about feel free, it if you catch my drift

Chram
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Xerlic Jilrak
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Titan

I had no idea BG has a rock thread. I feel bad that I didn't know the Deftones and Stone Sour both put out albums in 2012.

Register to see the NSFW content

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 18 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 15 ... LastLast