1. FFXIV Reset Timers
    Last daily reset was 0 hours, 12 minutes ago / Next daily reset is in 23 hours, 47 minutes
    Last weekly reset was 2 days, 17 hours, 12 minutes ago / Next weekly reset is in 3 days, 16 hours, 47 minutes
+ Reply to Thread
Page 40 of 107 FirstFirst ... 30 38 39 40 41 42 50 90 ... LastLast

Thread: FFXIV story/lore thread     submit to reddit submit to twitter

the whitest knight u' know
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Miya Kai
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

Quote Originally Posted by Niiro View Post
    I don't suppose you've ever seen one of the mages finish casting Dragon's Blood.

>_>
    I have, I'm just wondering if ALL Aevis in the game are supposedly people transformed into dragons.

I just want more details regarding the Dravanians. What's their hierarchy?

There's big diety guy Midgardsormr, regular dragons like Svara, humanoids converted into aevis, hulking giruveganii, turtle dragons, wyrms(?) like Gorynich, wyverns like lolNaul... what is Simurgh? Is the dragon lying dead in the chasm next to Whitebrim different from all of these?

The Once and Future Wamoura
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Rocl Montaigne
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    WoW Realm
    Quel'Thalas

Dragon in the Whitebrim ditch is a Wyvern. Simurgh and Deathgazes occupy a weird spot between voidsent and dravinian.

As I recall from leve text, Aevis are the Dravinian footsoldiers. I took the Jura Aevis to be like Inspector Guillaime's transformation into an Aevis during the MSQ, that is, a glamour/trick. Though the implication of drinking Dragon's Blood and turning into a dragon is pretty cool, I'm pretty sure Guillaime even casts Dragon's Blood to become an Aevis as well and it's very clearly referred to as a scare tactic/just for show.

Quote Originally Posted by Rocl View Post
    As I recall from leve text, Aevis are the Dravinian footsoldiers. I took the Jura Aevis to be like Inspector Guillaime's transformation into an Aevis during the MSQ, that is, a glamour/trick. Though the implication of drinking Dragon's Blood and turning into a dragon is pretty cool, I'm pretty sure Guillaime even casts Dragon's Blood to become an Aevis as well and it's very clearly referred to as a scare tactic/just for show.
    Well, it's a glamour/trick that the Ishguardians fully expect someone to fall back on when falling to their deaths -- ie, it allows them to fly. Jura Aevis are significantly more threatening than the minion would be if you'd interrupted Dragon's Blood, and Inspector Guillaume's transformation is treated like a serious threat by a set of armed knights and our player character.

On the other hand, the Aevis don't seem very bright, and become heavily ruled by instinct, more so than the person they once were. You Look Good Enough to Eat, a levequest, says that red aevis are both thralls to the dragons and compelled to consume the sinew and flesh of the draconic Biasts. The transformed aevis inside Stone Vigil HM act... strange: To fear me is to love me is either a Machiavelli or a Labyrinth reference, neither of which is a good sign. On the other hand, the Dragoon job quests say that the bigger named dragons can turn the minds of men (unusually and unlike primal tempering, this can be resisted or even purged), so this may reflect preexisting draconic influence more than transformation itself.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Miya Kai
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

1.0 Coerthas, especially in the nearly impossible-to-reach areas, was littered with interesting dragon lore. They illustrated dragons as quite intelligent and conniving— suspecting them of poisoning water supplies and works of sabotage and terror. With the recent reveal of the Holy See, it could just be a matter of false propaganda, obviously. It really was described as a very real and active "war" with creatures we were never actually shown, one NPC even said she soaks her clothing in poisons every morning in hopes that she could at least take out a dragon if she were eaten and with that thought alone she could die happy. I do recall a knight warning that those who exchange words with a dragon are pretty much brainwashed and instantly considered heretics. I don't recall exactly where I read it, but I could have sworn that touching or consuming dragon flesh was something that granted one powers (this falls in line with the whole Aevis thing) and was considered the ultimate treason.

a p. sweet dude
    Pens win! Pens Win!!! PENS WIN!!!!!

BG Level

So it sounds to me like the Ascians are forcing the Bringer of Light to constantly combat the Primals because each time they succeed in repelling one, it weakens Hydaelyn somehow?

D. Ring
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Raldo Volca
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung

Quote Originally Posted by Obsidian View Post
    So it sounds to me like the Ascians are forcing the Bringer of Light to constantly combat the Primals because each time they succeed in repelling one, it weakens Hydaelyn somehow?
    The primals soak up a bunch of aether in order to exist. I can only imagine that aether comes at some cost of Hydaelyn (in so far as, it would've gone to Hydaelyn, but it was subverted to a primal instead). Though... they said the aether goes back to the land once the primal is defeated, so that makes less sense now that I've typed it out.

Alternate answer: Maybe it saps Hydaelyn's energy to keep the Echo users from being tempered by other things.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Miya Kai
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

The recent voice-acted cutscenes with the Ishgardian (I forget his name) just screamed obvious "distrust."

I am fully expecting that this Lady Iceheart actually understands what's really going on with this Ishgard=Rohan Lahabrea/Elidibus=Wormtongue situation and is utilizing the heretics' easily-swayed prayer to help her become or summon Shiva and fuck Ishgard up out of some sort of personal vendetta (Lady Iceheart=Éomer and was royalty cast out?!)... which puts us in a position to, not only stop Shiva from doing too much damage and killing innocent, misguided, loyal knights and their reversibly corrupt leader(v.2.4), but to also finally cleanse Ishgard of the Ascian corruption(v.2.5). I think this lines up with all the hints Yoshi has dropped about Shiva, Ishgard, and the climax of 2.0.

The "heretics" are likely not Dragon-tempered but simply enlightened Ishgardians to Lady Iceheart's cause and promptly labeled as heretics to lump them in with the dragons as baddies. These Ishgardians being the ones to summon Shiva also explains her much more "normal" humanoid form than the primals summoned by beast tribes. Lady Iceheart likely had that specific shipment to Revenant's Toll be hijacked just so she could get a look at the famous "Warrior of Light" that Ishgard has successfully swindled into helping their corrupt cause.

I think I'm going to call it and say that all 6 primals will actively help us combat Elidibus & Lahabrea at the end of 2.0 since they need Hydaelyn to exist and probably aren't huge fans of Zodiark... and that will lead up to the mechanic of FCs summoning primals themselves. Perhaps the primals' combined elements/efforts are needed to cage Ascians' souls from escaping into their in-between realm.

Did Snowcloak always glow at night? I'm going to guess that it's actually a massive cache of ice-aspected crystal which will be used to summon Shiva without having to draw attention via crystal theft/banditry.

Quote Originally Posted by Obsidian View Post
    I don't know that to be the case. From Quake Me Before You O'Ghomoro :
    The burgeoning strength shown by the Bringer of Light, however, has grown beyond reckoning.

Such a demonstration of force serves us still─it invites ever-greater retaliation.

Yes... As the Light burns brighter, so, too, are the shadows steeped deeper in Darkness.
    Lahabrea seems to want to fight directly against Hydraelyn, but Elidibus claims that his goals are not so different from our own, and at least some of the other Ascians do not share such direct opposition. Instead, they seem to want to us stronger, because in turn we'll give reason for our opponents to become stronger in response. We'll empower Zodiark simply by fighting against him: as the Light of the Crystal grows, so does its opponents. The Amaljaa weren't sacrificing their own men in a blood tribute back before we entered the field, after all.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Rocl Montaigne
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    WoW Realm
    Quel'Thalas

Quote Originally Posted by miokomioko View Post
    Did Snowcloak always glow at night?
    Yes

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Nama Kemono
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Going off the Ishguard / heretic discussion Miokomioko brings up the dragonhead leader Haurchefant as obviously distrustful. Well on reddit someone noticed that the 2.3 cs in question has several differences between the english and japanese version that makes Haurchefant to be much more fanatical in the jp version but in eng he seems level headed but hiding something. Not only is the tone of voice different but him and the player both use emotes not found in eng version, additionally some camera angles are different as well. As far as I know this is only cs in the game that has differences besides voice acting between languages. I'm unsure of why they are different or if there's something about how each culture views distrustful mannerism differently.

NOAH Report: The individuals from whom they derived their existence were of Xande's lineage. Likewise named Doga and Unei, the pair were said to share myriad distinct traits with their revered forebear. Among these traits were eyes of sanguine, known as the Royal Eye.
    G'raha Tia: Being born with one red eye, I did not have the most pleasant of childhoods. You know what they say: children can be cruel. The end result being that I grew up determined to uncover the truth of the trait.
    G'raha Tia: Much and more yet remains beyond my knowing, but one thing is certain: the nearer I draw to the heart of the Crystal Tower, the more I am convinced that an important memory eludes me.
    Interesting.

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

That was brought up in the most recent CT questline. They made it pretty clear that G'raha Tia is of royal Allagan descent

Old Odin
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Seravi Edalborez
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Titan

Not exactly new but I was over in Saint Coinach's and Rammbroes has a lot of log entries on CT/ST "NOAH Reports".

The Eight Sentinels
    Spoiler: show
    Rammbroes: Ah, allow me to find the relevant page...
    NOAH Report: The Allagan Empire has left behind many a mysterious legacy, but perhaps none so impressive as the glittering spire of the Crystal Tower. With equal parts excitement and trepidation, the survey party dubbed the “fellowship of NOAH” set forth to pry loose the daunting structure's well-guarded secrets.
    Once past the massive crystal gate, the members of the team beheld four pairs of grim stone statues flanking a broad forecourt─a lethal complement of elementally powered defenses known as the Eight Sentinels.
    Each pair of silent sentries promised a different method of obliteration to any foolish enough to attempt trespass. Should intruders somehow survive passing through the first barrier of incinerating flames, they would then face death by rending winds, crushing waves, or grinding rocks.
    These unforgiving guardians were, without a doubt, a product of the unique blend of magic and technology pioneered by the great inventors of Allag.
    To think that these constructs of arcane masonry yet functioned after millennia of dormancy is simply staggering─a testament to the genius of their creators.
    But we would not be deterred from our objectives. Using four reflective “fangs” shaped from flawless crystals, we triumphed in turning the power of the elemental defenses against themselves. With the way thus cleared, the expedition stood poised to enter the inner reaches of the tower grounds.

Labyrinth of the Ancients
    Rammbroes: One moment while I locate the passages in question...
    NOAH Report: A stalwart band of adventurers led by the indomitable Seravi Edalborez was tasked with conquering the perils of the Labyrinth of the Ancients.
    The base of the Crystal Tower is nestled within this deadly maze, the entire structure designed to confound entrance to the spire proper.
    As we had feared, the halls of the labyrinth were further protected by fantastical foes. Our adventurers faced nightmarish opponents, the king behemoth and the voidsent Thanatos among them.
    Through our research we have learned that the ancients were most skilled at the binding of void-born entities─occult servants that were compelled to serve alongside augmented beasts and chimerical monstrosities.
    After battling such fiends, none could argue that the approach to the tower was a simple one. And though the labyrinth's hazards have been overcome, one cannot help but imagine what devilish enemies await within those unbreached crystalline walls...

Phlegethon (lol)
    Rammbroes: You wish to learn more of Phlegethon? Certainly. His story is quite compelling...
    NOAH Report: Phlegethon was the scimitar-wielding colossus who served as the final bastion of the Labyrinth of the Ancients, and until recently, was oft mistaken for a similar guardian known as Acheron. In Phlegethon's day, he was but a mortal man who sought to bring revolution to the Allagan Empire.
    The empire lasted more than a thousand years, but that is not to say its reign was entirely peaceful. It was especially during the later days of its supremacy that imperial rule found itself under constant challenge.
    Famous even among these endless conflicts was the rebellion led by the mighty general Phlegethon. Imperial annals paint him as a murderous villain, but the writings of the commonfolk reveal Phlegethon's status as a hero of the people.
    Adored though he was, the revolutionary leader was eventually captured by agents of the empire. Scholarly records give a chilling account of how his body was forcibly altered through sorcery and science, his mind broken and conditioned to obey.
    An example was made of Phlegethon, a hideous warning of the fate that awaited those who refused to kneel. When Seravi gazed upon the general's unnatural form so many centuries later, she was afforded a glimpse into the darkness of which the empire was capable.

Unei and Doga
    Rammbroes: Ah, yes, our noble comrades Unei and Doga. Let us review the events surrounding their appearance.
    NOAH Report: Having secured a path through the Labyrinth of the Ancients, the fellowship of NOAH next sought to explore Syrcus Tower. However, their progress was frustrated by the most mundane of security measures: a gate that refused to open.
    Impervious to all damage, the imposing gate was sealed by a mechanism whose workings confounded even the fellowship's brightest minds. As they struggled in vain to solve the puzzle, two mysterious strangers, a man and a woman richly garbed in Allagan fashion, arrived to offer their aid.
    Doga and Unei were their names, and they later revealed themselves to be “clones”─identical copies of people, created thousands of years ago as part of an experiment to resurrect Xande, the founding father of the Allagan Empire.
    The individuals from whom they derived their existence were of Xande's lineage. Likewise named Doga and Unei, the pair were said to share myriad distinct traits with their revered forebear. Among these traits were eyes of sanguine, known as the Royal Eye.
    In addition to being royalty, they were skilled mages in their own right. Doga could wield powerful spells both extant and lost, while Unei possessed the rare ability to manipulate dreams.
    When Emperor Xande returned from the grave, they initially supported his second ascension. However, it soon came to light that the emperor was consorting with darkness. Fearing what might befall the world, they sought to end to his madness. In the event that they should fail, they left the key by which future generations may carry on their mission.
    That key is none other than the two clones who came to NOAH, in whom they imbued their will. By virtue of the royal blood that courses through their veins, they were able to open the gate that had barred the fellowship's entry into Syrcus Tower.

Syrcus Tower
    NOAH Report(sic): You wish to learn more about Syrcus Tower? Very well, let us review such data as we have on hand.
    NOAH Report: The Crystal Tower is comprised of a multitude of spires. Rising high above them all is Syrcus Tower, the heart of the majestic structure.
    It must be noted that the name Crystal Tower originated as a sobriquet. Ordinary Allagans coined the term, which over time came to refer to the collective structure.
    Although the tower is referenced in various ancient scriptures, up until the end of the Sixth Astral Era, the scholarly community largely doubted its existence. Aside from Professor Erik, it had scant few proponents.
    How is it possible that such a colossal structure could be kept hidden from mankind, and for so long? The answer was to be found amidst the ruins of the Fourth Umbral Calamity, which took the form of a great earthquake.
    During the final years of the Allagan Empire, the lesser moon Dalamud harvested the sun's energy, which it then transferred to Syrcus Tower below. However, that energy proved too much for the tower to contain. It escaped into the land, causing the earth to collapse into itself.
    In mere moments, the Allagan Empire was laid to waste. Yet even as the Crystal Tower was sinking, Emperor Xande's most trusted aide, the technologist Amon, invoked powerful magicks and halted the flow of time within the structure. The tower and its denizens fell into a deep slumber.
    Three eras later, when Dalamud began its descent, the Crystal Tower stirred to wakefulness. Shortly thereafter, the cataclysmic arrival of the Seventh Umbral Era saw the tower returned to the surface.
    The fellowship of NOAH ventured into the Crystal Tower, its first visitors in millenia. Awaiting them at the apex was Emperor Xande, the legendary founder of the Allagan Empire, who had awakened alongside his minions.

Emperor Xande
    Rammbroes: Let us turn to the pages which speak of Emperor Xande.
    NOAH Report: No account of Allagan history may be considered complete without mention of its founding father and first emperor, Xande.
    Ancient records that have survived paint the man as a great ruler. By his hand the Allagan Empire was born, and for more than a thousand years it flourished.
    However, the empire's star eventually began to wane. The selfsame prosperity that made the Allagans great gave rise to decadence. The citizens grew content in their complacency, and technological advance ground to a halt. In a matter of generations, the civilization became a pale shadow of its former self.
    Lamenting the pitiful state of affairs, the technologist Amon sought to restore Allag to greatness via an unprecedented method: the resurrection of Emperor Xande.
    Amon exhumed Xande's body from his tomb, situated in what is now known as Mor Dhona, and proceeded to conduct numerous experiments. With equal parts perseverance and ingenuity, he succeeded in bringing the emperor back to life.
    So began Emperor Xande's second reign, a thousand years removed from his first. Through masterful leadership, he swiftly brought his ailing empire back to the path of greatness. Even the southern land of Meracydia, which had long defied Allag, was finally brought to heel.
    Xande was a great emperor, it cannot be denied, and ancient records rightly speak of him in reverent tones. However, those selfsame records are silent on the subject of the man's inner workings.
    It has recently been revealed that, ever since returning from the grave, Emperor Xande was constantly tormented by the memories of his death.
    Driven by reasoning that no mind but his own may comprehend, he sought to return all to nothingness. Whatever may have compelled it, Xande made his choice, and its consequences have been passed down through the annals of history.
    A lust for power which grew into a desire for nihility─such was the dark seed that brought about the Fourth Umbral Calamity. By Xande's hand the Allagan Empire was built, and by his own hand it was destroyed.

Old Odin
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Seravi Edalborez
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Titan

NOAH Report: The Crystal Tower is comprised of a multitude of spires. Rising high above them all is Syrcus Tower, the heart of the majestic structure.
    It must be noted that the name Crystal Tower originated as a sobriquet. Ordinary Allagans coined the term, which over time came to refer to the collective structure.
    Ok you win this round Rocl.

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kharlan Lynare
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Valefor
    WoW Realm
    Kirin Tor

EDIT: wrong thread oops

a p. sweet dude

BG Level

So slowpoke.png I only just beat Turn 9, and after watching the final cutscene at the Waking Sands, Alphinaud wonders if Alisaie will finally a use for the "secret- for the key only you and I hold." Do we have any idea what that means?

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Rocl Montaigne
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    WoW Realm
    Quel'Thalas

We have absolutely no idea.

Personal pet theories have to deal with Louisoix Leiveilleur (their grandfather) being in possession of a "key" (Fernehwale's term) used to make summoning rituals easier.

Something about keys being used to lock doors as well open them and some shit. Obviously this will lead into adventurers summoning Primals for good.

Chram
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Quote Originally Posted by Rocl View Post
    Obviously this will lead into adventurers summoning Primals for good.
    Like summoning Shiva onto my dick, for example.

a p. sweet dude

BG Level

Is this where the line for that starts?

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Waka Bo
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut