1. FFXIV Reset Timers
    Last daily reset was 17 hours, 42 minutes ago / Next daily reset is in 6 hours, 17 minutes
    Last weekly reset was 6 days, 10 hours, 42 minutes ago / Next weekly reset is in -1 hours, -43 minutes
+ Reply to Thread
Page 41 of 107 FirstFirst ... 31 39 40 41 42 43 51 91 ... LastLast

Thread: FFXIV story/lore thread     submit to reddit submit to twitter

a p. sweet dude
    Pens win! Pens Win!!! PENS WIN!!!!!

BG Level

Also, that first Tales of the Calamity entry was pretty well-written, but I'm not sure how valuable the information in it is, nor how much of it (if any?) is new.

D. Ring
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Grey Jorildyn
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion

Maybe his staff is a key!

Neither sibling posses his staff, the fragments have always been in a frame behind Titsfillia's desk.

It's probably just a reference to their bloodline (or something passed down via, same thing).

The Once and Future Wamoura
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Rocl Montaigne
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    WoW Realm
    Quel'Thalas

Quote Originally Posted by Grey Jorildyn View Post
    Er, woops, the "key" (used to facilitate summoning rituals) Louisoix had was either his staff or some part of it.

The only new info in Tales of the Calamity was the namesake of the Victory (Merlwyb's chocobo) and the general "how the fuck did they forget the badass 1.0 niggas?" covering up. I mean, it was nice to see more of the how the fuck they try to reconcile worldwide amnesia but it wasn't news, no.

In the second coil CSs does Androgynous Elvaan Twin B refer to the player as having defeated Darnus regardless or is it only worded as such for legacy characters?

I'd imagine it'd be kind of....confusing for people that didn't play 1.0. Do they ever really flesh out and fill in the blanks on the whole struggle with Darnus from 1.0? I don't really remember.

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kharlan Lynare
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Valefor
    WoW Realm
    Kirin Tor

YOUR COMPANION KNOWS THIS PLACE WELL

I'll let Rocl give the real answer

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Rocl Montaigne
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    WoW Realm
    Quel'Thalas

Quote Originally Posted by Niiro View Post
    In the second coil CSs does Androgynous Elvaan Twin B refer to the player as having defeated Darnus regardless or is it only worded as such for legacy characters?

I'd imagine it'd be kind of....confusing for people that didn't play 1.0. Do they ever really flesh out and fill in the blanks on the whole struggle with Darnus from 1.0? I don't really remember.
    Alisaie doesn't mention you defeated Darnus unless you've actually defeated Darnus. Non-legacy plebes get something like "Alphinaud told me he was slain by a band of adventurers 5 years ago..." while Legacy gets "Alphinaud told me you killed him!"

And in T9 ofc, Alisaie asks: "Where/When/What is this?" and Darnus replies "Your companion knows this place well, for it was here than [s/he] slew Nael van Darnus." if you're a nonlegacy plebe it skips right to "This place is a grave for the undeserving."

Almost every Second Coil CS w/ Darnus is different if you are Legacy, and is probably one of the best ways they've done it tbh

I'm surprised they kept with the differences rather than just taking the easy way out and saying "your non-legacy char was there and did stuff, but calamity-amnesia or something".

PUP Power!
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Quote Originally Posted by Niiro View Post
    Titsfillia's.
    LMAO

Quote Originally Posted by Grey Jorildyn View Post
    From Gamer Escape's interview with Fern.
    GE: Anwyll would be displeased with me if I were to not ask this question: Back in the original version, there was “the key” (and similar horns) that played what felt like a fairly significant part in the story line. Can you tell us what they were? Will we ever see them again?

MCKF: The Key is not as exciting as it probably should have been. That key was an important part of the story back then and it’s basically an enchanted item that assists in the summoning of primals and other types of creatures by manipulating the aether around where it is used. The Ascians would give it to certain beast tribes as a nudge like “Heeey, here ya go! I’m not going to tell you what to do with this, but I can tell you what you can do with this!” And, again, it’s one way the Ascians tried manipulating the beast tribes. It’s not going to summon the primal, but it’s going to make it easier. There’s also that Thanalan quest where Corguevais blows the horn, and the Coblyns all start to mass. To go off of that, and whether it will play a part in the game from now on, we can tell you that if you look closely in the game, there is a certain staff that a certain important someone used in a certain important something and that staff was broken but it’s now somewhere and you can take a look at it and that also might be of the same type of make as this Key…

GE: I think I know what you’re talking about!

*insert a pic of Lou's broken staff here*

MCKF: But then it’s like, what was the purpose of that key? And it was supposed to manipulate what to summon what? Yeaaah…

The red part I think points to this staff with Llymlaen's symbol on it.
    Spoiler: show

There is another one with the Sahagin that has Thaliak's if I'm not mistaken. That's what I think is the key. An enchanted stone/horn/material that manipulates aether. Just like the ones Lou carved all around eorzea and asked the players to /pray to them.

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Waka Bo
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Rhalgr is also on here. Dunno if it was mentioned or not.
    http://cdn.guildwork.net/albums/imag...70705ff660.jpg

I think he is on most of DoW's all tomestone weapons cuz he is the destroyer and all. Doubt that the Acsians had anything to do with it.

Edit1: According to this, it's Gerolt's signature to prove authenticity.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Rocl Montaigne
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    WoW Realm
    Quel'Thalas

You can find a Mark of Rhalgr on most of Gerolt's Masterworks. The belt on Noct Breeches, the breast of daystar robe, back cover of Book of Diamonds/Spades etc etc

Some are more stylized like Evenstar Hat and Auroral Tabard.

I remember Rosenbogen's being tricky to spot, but every weapon has it for sure and nearly every armor.

So yeah, totally unrelated.

Lostbane
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Mexi Lostbane
    FFXIV Server
    Siren
    FFXI Server
    Shiva

Hint for a new expansion?

Spoiler: show
    New beastmen quests from the Ixali

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Rocl Montaigne
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    WoW Realm
    Quel'Thalas

Eh, we know the next step is Ishgard/Coerthas but I wouldn't rule out a visit to a Floating Continent eventually since muh nostalgia FF feels. Right now I think it's just a nod to past Final Fantasies / fleshing out Beastmen lore

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Waka Bo
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Lazy since the last 3 beastmen quests, but what is the tl;dr version of Ixtali? I know there is some raging lala child wanting to disobey their dad but that's about it.

Old Odin
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Seravi Edalborez
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Titan

Tataramu (lala guy) doesn't want to inherit airship company. The Ehcatl Nine Ixal want to make a craft that goes higher than any airship has gone before. Everyone is a racist towards the Ehcatl and the "touched" Ixal (Garuda's) think the whole thing is blasphemy* so they're double-screwed.

Tataramu's father is as mentioned a racist but Tataramu's grandfather(?) worked with the Ixal who the airship project is named after (Dezul Qualan), and is basically a co-founder of modern airships. Which isn't widely known or acknowledged; even the Ehcatl Ixal thought the designs were "stolen", not developed together.

Don't know about last main quest and how the line ends but that's how I remember it. Might have gotten the lala's name wrong since they're all similar.

*Ixali war baloons fly with flightstones or something, basically rocks with Garuda's power. Flying without them is rude I guess among Ixal.

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Waka Bo
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

thanks :u and totally offtopic/vidya but never knew about this

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Rocl Montaigne
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    WoW Realm
    Quel'Thalas

Minor nitpicking and fucking Lalafell names because Lalafell are statistically the worst race and everyone playing them is only one step above Miqo'te. This is going off of memory.

Ehcatl Nine broke off from the Xelphatol Ixali a few generations ago (comparing ixali lifespan to lalafell lifespan is pretty impossible atm), wanting to purse the dream of Aytalan (a floating continent mentioned in Ixali legend). The journey to Aytalan was supposed to be every Ixal's dream but some of them turned to this crazy Goddess worshipping along the way. The Ixal invented flying machines, really just hot air balloons, and later Dezul Qualan of the Ehcatl Nine (its founder iirc) worked with Grandad Tatanora on his Airship designs (which were slightly more sophisticated hot air balloons). It's not explicitly stated how the Ixali balloons get in the air, but it stands to reason it's some lighter-than-air gas or whatever the fuck happens irl I'm not a scientist I'm a goddamn nerd about video game lore. The airstones are blessed by Garuda, and are apparently charged with aetheric wind energy to create their own wind while airborne. However these airstones are just particularly good conductors of aetheric energy (if I had to guess) and thus can be thought of as a wind-battery I guess. They work for so long then need to be recharged. "Blessed by Garuda" may not even mean a direct connection between Primal and beastmen too, it's just as likely to just be a sort of euphemism. It's nicer to think of them being imbued with the power of their god than just overaspected with aether.

The Ehcatl and the Gridanians aren't particularly friendly. The Ehcatl still have little-to-no-reverence for the Black Shroud and the Elementals. The Ehcatl mainly just want to be left in peace to build their airships and fly away to the heavens. The Twin Adder sends you out to investigate the Logging Ground Ixali attacking the Gridania defense spires (erected to watch the skies for Ixali war balloons) and basically just fucking forget about you. The entire thing ends with you going back to the Twin Adder and them being like "oh yeah you're that guy. well there haven't been any more attacks gj. ixali are scum LOL"

Shit we learn: Highwind Skyways has existed before the invention of the ceruleum driven airship. Highwind Skyways is NOT directly related to Garlond Ironworks. There are plans to open an airship route to Ishgard. Tatabaru, the current owner of Highwind Skyways and Tatamaru's father, is the owner of the 'Blackjack' airship. The Highwind Skyways motto is a paraphrasing of Dezul Qualan's philosophy on life. Gridania has no intention of attempting to broker peace with the Ehcatl or any Ixali. People can do a 180 on long-held opinions really quickly.

tl;dr
    son wants to design airships, not run a company
    good ixali want to fly to the floating continent and let shadow die
    dad says hey hey you you i don't like your new friends i think you need to study the books instead
    grandad and good ixali were secret bffs
    son begs to help build airship-hot air balloon hybrid to fly higher than any aircraft in hydaelyn's history
    the good ixali make you travel all the way around the world to synth shit and call you a featherless fuckface the entire time
    dad makes son come home via swords
    bad ixali threaten to blow up good ixali
    you build the airship
    son convinces old man employee
    old man employee convinces dad
    you stop the bad ixali ALMOST
    dad saves the day
    the test flight almost goes wrong
    but everything is okay
    you question a lot of your life

I trusted Zet and this is what happened
    Eleven owes me $40 bucks

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kaslo Essyx
    FFXIV Server
    Famfrit
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle

Quote Originally Posted by Rocl View Post
    tl;dr
    son wants to design airships, not run a company
    good ixali want to fly to the floating continent and let shadow die
    dad says hey hey you you i don't like your new friends i think you need to study the books instead
    grandad and good ixali were secret bffs
    son begs to help build airship-hot air balloon hybrid to fly higher than any aircraft in hydaelyn's history
    the good ixali make you travel all the way around the world to synth shit and call you a featherless fuckface the entire time
    dad makes son come home via swords
    bad ixali threaten to blow up good ixali
    you build the airship
    son convinces old man employee
    old man employee convinces dad
    you stop the bad ixali ALMOST
    dad saves the day
    the test flight almost goes wrong
    but everything is okay
    you question a lot of your life
    This is the best.