1. FFXIV Reset Timers
    Last daily reset was 20 hours, 7 minutes ago / Next daily reset is in 3 hours, 52 minutes
    Last weekly reset was 1 days, 13 hours, 7 minutes ago / Next weekly reset is in 4 days, 20 hours, 52 minutes
+ Reply to Thread
Page 46 of 107 FirstFirst ... 36 44 45 46 47 48 56 96 ... LastLast

Thread: FFXIV story/lore thread     submit to reddit submit to twitter

The Real Cookiemonster
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Dark Depravity
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas

Hopefully I didn't miss anything, but.
    I was under the impression that the primals were summoned from the belief/prayers of whatever grouping(s) worshipped them, they don't really die as such.
    Is it possible that the reason Bahamut was kept weakened, but alive, was in order to keep him imprisoned and under control rather than risk him being resummoned somewhere/somewhen else at significantly more power?

The Once and Future Wamoura
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Rocl Montaigne
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    WoW Realm
    Quel'Thalas

That is the logic behind the Ultima Weapon and Dalamud afaik. Both imprison Primals as a means to prevent their resummoning in addition to their uses as weapon/battery.

The Ultima thing never really made sense to me.

Primals are only able to exist with a abundant supply of aether being fed to them from their worshipers, when Ultima "eats" them then where are they getting their energy from to not only continue to exist but to power Ultima itself?

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Xanthe Celaeno
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle

Quote Originally Posted by Niiro View Post

Primals are only able to exist with a abundant supply of aether being fed to them from their worshipers, when Ultima "eats" them then where are they getting their energy from to not only continue to exist but to power Ultima itself?
    A[n Allagan] wizard did it.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Teisha Linne
    FFXIV Server
    Moogle
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Well, we don't know whether Ultima can actually operate for extended periods of time. Maybe it would need to devour more primals after some time? Or maybe it could devour the aether from the worshippers?
    Actually, maybe all it needs is to devour the primals to act as its engine, but it doesn't have a problem with absorbing any aether after that to keep itself running?

I trusted Zet and this is what happened
    Eleven owes me $40 bucks

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kaslo Essyx
    FFXIV Server
    Famfrit
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle

Quote Originally Posted by Gokulo View Post
    Well, we don't know whether Ultima can actually operate for extended periods of time. Maybe it would need to devour more primals after some time? Or maybe it could devour the aether from the worshippers?
    I kind of envisioned the reason it "threw up" the primals was because you made Ultima expend too much of the primal's aether.

D. Ring
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Quote Originally Posted by Hellfury View Post
    Hopefully I didn't miss anything, but.
    I was under the impression that the primals were summoned from the belief/prayers of whatever grouping(s) worshipped them, they don't really die as such.
    Is it possible that the reason Bahamut was kept weakened, but alive, was in order to keep him imprisoned and under control rather than risk him being resummoned somewhere/somewhen else at significantly more power?
    isn't the current theory that the dragons/dragon sided humanoids are behind this? but once a primal is "alive" i don't think it reverts back to its aetheral form til its defeated right? so Big Bad B can happily be around for a few thousand years without anyone having to pray for dragon jesus's return

a p. sweet dude
    Pens win! Pens Win!!! PENS WIN!!!!!

BG Level

Never mind me.

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kharlan Lynare
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Valefor
    WoW Realm
    Kirin Tor

Quote Originally Posted by Odin'sLaw View Post
    isn't the current theory that the dragons/dragon sided humanoids are behind this? but once a primal is "alive" i don't think it reverts back to its aetheral form til its defeated right? so Big Bad B can happily be around for a few thousand years without anyone having to pray for dragon jesus's return
    Primals consume aether while they're out. I don't think we've seen any instance of a primal just "vanishing" after a while, but I don't think we've seen any situation where a Primal loses its followers or source of prayer/aether either.

It's implied in the Coil CSs (and I'm sure it's stated somewhere else in the game too) that primals do need constant prayer/worship to retain their corporeal forms, because that's what the coils are trying to emulate for Bahamut.

Quote Originally Posted by Another Turn in the Coil
    Alisaie:...It has long been held that the primals require the prayers of their faithful followers to exist, yet none alive worship Bahamut. Could it be, then, that the Allagans found a way to simulate prayer itself?

Alisaie:...It has long been held that the primals require the prayers of their faithful followers to exist, yet none alive worship Bahamut. Could it be, then, that the Allagans found a way to simulate prayer itself?
    They just left a recording of prayers on loop on an ancient Allagan ipod.

And it was like, powered by the crystal tower, or something.

But I don't want my title changed
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Fievel Mousekewitz
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

They just left a recording of prayers on loop on an ancient Allagan ipod.

And it was like, powered by the crystal tower, or something.
    coil solved

D. Ring
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Shanoa Varhara
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

As funny as that is.. it just made wonder if the Allagans didn't just imprison one of Bahamut's followers to keep the faith alive somehow (and possibly even a coil boss).

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Their physical form not the Primals themselves. When slain, they go back to the aether until they are summoned again. I assume that Ultima simply traps their essence so they cannot go back to the aether. I'm also not sure Ultima needs the Primals to operate, it seems to work just fine before absorbing one.

Puppetmaster
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Tea L'euphorie
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas

Quote Originally Posted by Alkar View Post
    Their physical form not the Primals themselves. When slain, they go back to the aether until they are summoned again. I assume that Ultima simply traps their essence so they cannot go back to the aether. I'm also not sure Ultima needs the Primals to operate, it seems to work just fine before absorbing one.
    This is how I interpreted how Ultima worked as well... kinda like Cell in DBZ xD

the whitest knight u' know
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Miya Kai
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

Quote Originally Posted by Alkar View Post
    it seems to work just fine before absorbing one.
    ...and it continues to fight you after it coughs up Ifrit, Garuda, and Titan. Ultima Weapon's power source is the Heart of Sabik.

The Once and Future Wamoura
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Rocl Montaigne
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    WoW Realm
    Quel'Thalas

Yes and no. The Ultima Weapon probably runs on ceruleum/magitek nowadays with Nero's enhancements. The Heart of Sabik had lost its power before the Ultima Weapon absorbed some Primals as I recall?

Against my better judgement I've been listening to the EU Primal Concert clip on Twitch (it ends during Moogle Mog and Koji's performance ;=; ) to get Shiva lyrics 'early'

Here's what I'm at so far:

Spoiler: show
    Fear in my chest, I take my breath
    There's nothing left,
    now I close my eyes for the last time I say goodbye
    Lying naked while the snow falls all around me
    Drifting closer to the edge but she won't have me
    Wake up in sweat, full of regret, try to forget
    These memories what do they mean? Lost in a dream

xxxx a broken past
    a broken wrath
    xxxxx
    Nothing will cease, a final piece
    will be released

fragile creatures are taught to fear the reaper
    fragile bodies are dead before the reaper

These voices can't be let it go (let it all go)
    I'm trying to xxxxx and I can't say no (can't say no)
    This handmaiden's xxxx just begun
    All through my life with you I've known
    I'm waking up

The endless lies, I just decide
    To lock them in ice, steel is my sword
    We've all grown cold, I'm in control

Fearless creatures we are born to fight the reaper
    Helpless creatures so instead we'll have to beat them

These voices screaming to let it go (let it all go)
    This time I'm swinging at no no no (say no)
    My mind's made up and my fear is gone (where did it go?)
    Open my eyes now here I come I'm breaking out

For the last time (last time)
    For the laaaaast time

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

For the last time in for~ever

Wall-o-text on gods and primals. Speculative in nature.

Spoiler: show
    So I was thinking. The world has 12 deities and 2 supreme deities.
    The 2 are light and dark, known to us as Hydaelyn and Zodiark. For the other twelve, each element has 2 deities associated with it. We know them as the Twelve. The Twelve, according to the Acsians, are as summonable as the primals. Ala Mhigo tried to summon Rhalgar and failed or stopped by the Garleans. But what if the beastmen races succeeded in summoning the Twelve? The beastmen have their own lore and history so whichever deity from the twelve they summoned, had a different appearance, gender and name than the one in the lore of man. I tried to match each primal with one of the twelve and here is what I came up with:

Ifrit/Azeyma: during the opening cutscene of Ifrit's fight, it appears as if he is blocking the sun and then it appears as if he comes out of the sun itself. Azeyma is the keeper of the sun.

Titan/Nophica: the kobolds are miners and have plenty of ores and resources, so worshiping Nophica, the deity of soil and abundance, would be a solid choice.

Garuda/Oschon: Oschon is the ruler of mountains and god of vagrants. Ixali are trying to get back to their homeland so perhaps they consider themselves vagrants and chose their deity accordingly.

Leviathan/Thaliak: Thaliak is the god of wisdom and Leviathan taught his Sahagin minion how to obtain the echo. A scholar old enough to be worshiped would surely know how to do this.

Ramuh/Byregot: Ramuh is a well mannered primal and the slyphs have the prettiest housing items from their tribe quests. They have their own silk. Art. Byregot is the god of art.

Bismarck/Llymlaen: Llymlaen is the goddess of navigation and watcher of seas. But she commands the element of wind and not water. Sea of clouds, flying whale.

Shiva/?: Not sure what her angle is yet.

Ravana/Althyk: Althyk's sign is an hourglass and he's the surveyor of change. Maybe a nomad tribe would like to not be nomads? Also process of elimination since Nophica is taken.

I might be on to something or I might skipped a cutscene where this is completely debunked in the game already.

Edit: on Ultima weapon, a reimagined fight by the wandering Yoshi where Ultima also has Levi's, ramuh's and shiva's powers would be epic.

YOU BLACK, MIDNIGHT, EVIL MOTHERFUCKERS!!! BLACK MAGIC, DARKNESS!!! YOU RAW, DARKNESS!!! YOU, FUCKING, DELIRIOUS MOTHERFUCKER!
    You were cold as ice.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sho Ryuuken
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

Why haven't you motherfuckers and douchebags not gotten together and created a timeline and a wiki for the lore yet? Do you dudes know how much recognition you'd all get if you pulled it off? This thread as has successively been a huge mass of awesome lore discussion and should be documented.

Regardless, Ultima Weapon exists for the same purpose as Omega, as well as Dalamud -- a means to subjugate Primals and harness their as anti-Primal technology. Ultima Weapon can absorb and trap the aether that consists of a Primal and launch it as attacks (or simply use it as a battery), Dalamud can siphon Bahamut's energy as use it as a battery to absorb the sun's energy.

Omega has a heretofore unknown ability, but is currently known as far, far stronger than Ultima Weapon. I'm willing to guess the Allags found Omega who was time displaced by the Rift (from the Final Fantasy V or XIII-2 worlds.) and repaired it to functionality, which was then likely buried at the Carteneau Flats with the earthquake. I also would not be surprised if the Allags (Xande) took advantage of the fact that Omega has been hunting down the legendary Shinryuu through space and time and tricked it into believing that their Bahamut was the legendary dragon it was looking for.

Chram
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Quote Originally Posted by Sho View Post
    Why haven't you motherfuckers and douchebags not gotten together and created a timeline and a wiki for the lore yet? Do you dudes know how much recognition you'd all get if you pulled it off? This thread as has successively been a huge mass of awesome lore discussion and should be documented.

Regardless, Ultima Weapon exists for the same purpose as Omega, as well as Dalamud -- a means to subjugate Primals and harness their as anti-Primal technology. Ultima Weapon can absorb and trap the aether that consists of a Primal and launch it as attacks (or simply use it as a battery), Dalamud can siphon Bahamut's energy as use it as a battery to absorb the sun's energy.

Omega has a heretofore unknown ability, but is currently known as far, far stronger than Ultima Weapon. I'm willing to guess the Allags found Omega who was time displaced by the Rift (from the Final Fantasy V or XIII-2 worlds.) and repaired it to functionality, which was then likely buried at the Carteneau Flats with the earthquake. I also would not be surprised if the Allags (Xande) took advantage of the fact that Omega has been hunting down the legendary Shinryuu through space and time and tricked it into believing that their Bahamut was the legendary dragon it was looking for.
    Get a load of this guy, implying Allag didn't create the original Omega Weapon.

But in all seriousness, c'mon man, the Allagans apparently mastered genetic engineering. At this point I wouldn't be shocked if Omega is more powerful than Ultima just by virtue of being a bio-mechanical construct (whereas Ultima may lack the ability to self-repair, evolve to meet new threats, or whatever capacities we'd assign to a partially organic machine). Those would seem like rather powerful capabilities, potentially, since Ultima houses the Heart of Sabrik (which is pretty powerful on it's own..) and there's real unknowns as to how you'd surpass that otherwise, short of maybe nuclear weapons or something.

They seem to have at least managed to make actual cyborgs (Glasya Labolas, for example), and more (whatever "augmenting" means, for Xande and other Allagans). A hypothetical Omega being something like the above probably is well within the capabilities of ancient Allag.