1. FFXIV Reset Timers
    Last daily reset was 5 hours, 41 minutes ago / Next daily reset is in 18 hours, 18 minutes
    Last weekly reset was 2 days, 22 hours, 41 minutes ago / Next weekly reset is in 3 days, 11 hours, 18 minutes
+ Reply to Thread
Page 80 of 107 FirstFirst ... 30 70 78 79 80 81 82 90 ... LastLast

Thread: FFXIV story/lore thread     submit to reddit submit to twitter

Sharlayans ditched the settlement when the Garleans started to invade Eorzea for realsies (I believe they mention it was around the time Ala Mhigo fell?) and they decided it wasn't worth sticking around.

Allagan empire was destroyed by a massive earthquake (beginning of the 3rd umbral era) caused by an overflow of energy from Dalamud/Syrcus tower when Zombie-Xande tried to use it to open the floodgates to the Void and end all existence.

I'VE CHOSEN A TITLE FOR THE LIKES OF YOU!
    BG Level

Interesting tidbits from Unukalhai after Bismarck and Ravana EX, and general Warring Triad stuff:

- There are primals, and there are eikons.

- Primals are almost every summon we've fought up to this point, except Odin (who seems to be considered a eikon).

- The only thing known about eikons is that they predate primals and that's the term the Allagans used. The Warring Triad are considered eikons.

- Odin is considered weaksauce compared to the other eikons out there (lol).

- Bismarck and Ravana both had the desire and means to get to Azys Lla, wanting feast on the Warring Triad's power (part of why you had to defeat them in the Extreme mode quest line).

- Bismarck is water/wind element, Ravana is fire/earth element, which leaves a pretty strong possibility there'll be a lightning/ice primal in the future. Perhaps other combinations?

- Currently the Warring Triad is sealed in a place named the "Centrifugal Crystal Engine". I don't remember who said it, but I believe Tiamat (Need Rocl-check) said the Warring Triad were imprisoned just before the first summoned Bahamut Primal was (I say Bahamut Primal since the story makes it very clear distinction between the summoned primal, Bahamut in T13, and the real thing, who died ages ago). If I remember reading correctly, the Warring Triad were used as an experiment to see if the Allagans could perfect capturing eikons, before moving onto Bahamut Primal's capture?

Unukalhai gives me a bit of a "FF10 Bahamut Fayth" vibe, being so closely involved with the primals/eikons and being kind of a mysterious child in general. Not to mention the themes of people becoming primals themselves, Shiva/Ysalle, King Thordon & His Knights 12/Bishop Thordon & The Heaven's Ward, does give me a sense of foreshadowing that Unukalhai is going to be something related to that. He does straight up say he has intimate knowledge of the primal mind, and contrasts it to our power of the echo... so definitely something "supernatural".

I am also reminded of this from the 1.0 trailer for ages ago: https://youtu.be/lDSnzcaLaZg?t=5m51s and how they really did leave a lot of possibility to several dozen summons.

Also naming the sealing place for the Warring Triad after a graphical engine for your games... I find that amusing and humourous, haha.

Sandworm Swallows
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Niiro View Post
    Sharlayans etc
    Thanks! I think I kinda missed most of the CT/ST/WoD story somehow, guess I should watch those cs again.

Yea there's a flashback CS in the ST storyline about how Xande's "memories" of being dead haunted him and basically drove him insane after he was resurrected, really trippy concept.

Old Odin
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Seravi Edalborez
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Titan

I dunno how many glossed over it but there's a 54 sidequest in/leading to Mor Dhona involving the 4 little doman kids. It has a pretty funny payoff but I don't know if the bunch at the end is a reference to something (and an obvious tease to something else).

New Odin
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sparthia Abysseant
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

Late to the party but the Archbishop using Ultimate End with his Heavens' Ward and then having his composure being completely shattered, mindlessly flailing around his weapon for the last 10% was a nice touch. Primal ragequit.

Gaius had a similar reaction at the end of 2.0 but we broke the Archbish's spirit. EX mode seems like a lock.

New Merits
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

Maybe there's more on this further down the quest line, but in the Gods of Eld quest line when unlocking Bismarck EX, Urianger says of Unukalhai "Young Unukalhai shall assist thee. Rest assured he is not our enemy. For the time being, at least."
    This makes me think Unukalhai is some sort of young Ascian. He certainly looks like one what with the robe and the mask. We know that Elidibus and Lahabrea were different from the other Ascians by being "of this world." We also know that Elidibus enlisted the aid of Urianger at the end of 2.55. I'm wondering if we'll be learning about how Ascians are born soon.

Edit: Elidibus, not Nabriales

New Odin
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sparthia Abysseant
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

Quote Originally Posted by Stef View Post
    Maybe there's more on this further down the quest line, but in the Gods of Eld quest line when unlocking Bismarck EX, Urianger says of Unukalhai "Young Unukalhai shall assist thee. Rest assured he is not our enemy. For the time being, at least."
    This makes me think Unukalhai is some sort of young Ascian. He certainly looks like one what with the robe and the mask. We know that Nabriales and Lahabrea were different from the other Ascians by being "of this world." We also know that Elidibus enlisted the aid of Urianger at the end of 2.55. I'm wondering if we'll be learning about how Ascians are born soon.
    The way they've distinguished between white robe and black robe Ascians and Elidibus being in the epilogue with the Warrior of Darkness on the moon leads me to believe that the white robes are in the 'balance' camp between Hydaelyn's champion and Zodiark's. Some kind of caretakers to make sure that neither side gets too powerful.

There are a number of scenes in Heavensward where SE wants to get across the idea that you're becoming too strong, too influential, unchecked. With Nabriales, Lahabrea and Ingohrim all jumping the gun and getting defeated, balance is definitely tipped to your side.

(As an aside: I found it funny that your character decides to throw the auracite pokeball at Ingohrim rather than Lahabrea who possessed your buddy Thancred.)

I feel the whole thing is going to lead up to a grand reveal that you've been used by Hydaelyn (Ilberd was right) to snuff out Zodiark but Zodiark is required for balance and so the Warrior of Darkness / Ascians are defending balance and not entirely wrong in their efforts to stop you. In your character's attempts to do good, they've been fucking everything up.

Is Zodiark the moon? Has Hydaelyn been hoarding all the aether? Will all the Scions be returning with a super cool disability? Will Minfilia ever be a likable character? Find out next time!

New Odin
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sparthia Abysseant
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

Also points to whoever can explain what Ysayle did to the Garlean battlecruiser before dying. Jeez that cutscene was a mess.

Quote Originally Posted by Stef View Post
    This makes me think Unukalhai is some sort of young Ascian. He certainly looks like one what with the robe and the mask. We know that Nabriales and Lahabrea were different from the other Ascians by being "of this world." We also know that Elidibus enlisted the aid of Urianger at the end of 2.55. I'm wondering if we'll be learning about how Ascians are born soon.

Could be Elidibus in disguise. Trying to achieve balance between light and darkness instead of full blown chaos that the Ascians want to achieve.

Edit: beaten dammit

Quote Originally Posted by ronin sparthos View Post
    Also points to whoever can explain what Ysayle did to the Garlean battlecruiser before dying. Jeez that cutscene was a mess.
    I think I've read somewhere that she fucked up their ship and they landed for repairs. Maybe Gilly commented on it or some other node.

New Odin
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sparthia Abysseant
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

You'd never have known that after the cutscene. I thought she rammed the ship after encasing herself in ice but then she kinda just died. After leaving the party abruptly.

Left me saying. "Oh, ok. That was weird."

Also wtf Middy, talk some sense into your kids. Tiamat wants to sit and mope all day when the planet is in danger because of some mistake she made due to Ascians? The same Ascians we're opposing?

Fuck outta here, the Scions could use a full grown wyrm to smack some sense into Niddy and the Ascians.

Claustrum. Really?
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kaith Laqueus
    FFXIV Server
    Ragnarok
    FFXI Server
    Asura

(As an aside: I found it funny that your character decides to throw the auracite pokeball at Ingohrim rather than Lahabrea who possessed your buddy Thancred.)
    That annoyed me too. The Warrior of Light should have been the one to finally kill Lahabrea yet instead you opt for the mook who has been largely uninvolved and let the King take the killshot? The only logic I could see for it (aside from making the Knights look super strong which is silly when you fight them straight after) is that the Sword still exists so Lahabrea can still weasel his way back into existence if required.

Which brings me to another annoyance. Why do we never get a Zephirin fight? He kills like our chief bro whilst looking super smug and our resolution is like 20 seconds of fighting him during the knights fight and watching him disappear after the fight? That's so much bullshit. There should have been a fight just against him prior to the final fight or even at the very start of that fight.

New Odin
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sparthia Abysseant
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

Quote Originally Posted by Jem View Post
    is that the Sword still exists so Lahabrea can still weasel his way back into existence if required.
    This. Lahabrea is the only Ascian we really have a connection with, meaning he'll be back. I thought maybe the reason the sword didn't vanish after the Archbish loses is because of the Eye, but then Estinien plucks it out and it's still there. Oh Lahabrea, you'll be back.

Still stupid that your character wouldn't try to get rid of the Ascian that has proven himself to be a thorn in your side multiple times. The true power of the Echo is plot shielding.

Which brings me to another annoyance. Why do we never get a Zephirin fight? He kills like our chief bro whilst looking super smug and our resolution is like 20 seconds of fighting him during the knights fight and watching him disappear after the fight? That's so much bullshit. There should have been a fight just against him prior to the final fight or even at the very start of that fight.
    The ending seemed more concerned with setting up later plot devices, which is why things seem very unfocused. Iceheart comes back, does things and then dies for reasons pretty unceremoniously. I thought at least she'd have seriously damaged that Imperial battlecruiser but essentially she gave it a flat tire. Or ceruleum engine. Whatever.

Regula pops in, has a brief skirmish then peaces out, complete with a good game and everything. All we really know about him is he leads the badass 6th legion and is impressed we beat van Baelsar. Also his moveset is a cut/paste job but that can be forgiven.

Lahabrea pops back in with a friend, fuses, gets spanked and then we're left to assume he'll be back. Most of the Heavens' Ward are probably better as background dudes but a grudge match would have been nice at least. Doesn't even acknowledge he killed Hauchefant.

I feel the whole thing is going to lead up to a grand reveal that you've been used by Hydaelyn (Ilberd was right) to snuff out Zodiark but Zodiark is required for balance and so the Warrior of Darkness / Ascians are defending balance and not entirely wrong in their efforts to stop you. In your character's attempts to do good, they've been fucking everything up.
    As much as I would like something like this to happen, even if it does it's just gonna pan out kind of blandly I think.

Remember when they killed off Nanamo and the Scions?

Yea....

edit:

Also wtf Middy, talk some sense into your kids.
    Why do dragons still attack us when we're riding they're dad.

Old Odin
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Seravi Edalborez
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Titan

Maybe Hauchefant will pull a Coulson.

Or an Edda.

Relic Weapons
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Don Kamikaze
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

It is the same as 2.0 in the sense that the villain's sidekicks get practically no development and are just there to give you more people to fight. Remember Livia and Rhitahtyn? Yeah...

Quote Originally Posted by Bigsyke View Post
    It is the same as 2.0 in the sense that the villain's sidekicks get practically no development and are just there to give you more people to fight. Remember Livia and Rhitahtyn? Yeah...
    Livia got a nod in 3.0

Relic Weapons
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Don Kamikaze
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Quote Originally Posted by Evane View Post
    Livia got a nod in 3.0
    Very minor, Lucia has more development than her.

Since we are talking about the Garleans. Where did the emperor go?

New Odin
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sparthia Abysseant
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

He's on board the airship doing Emperor things.

All of van Baelsar's underlings had the same story. Gaius was senpai. Except Nero. No one likes him. But Cid wasn't around soooo...

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Tanaya Makers
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

Dunno if I missed this being brought up, but can we talk about how little the payoff was for all the shit that happened in Ul'Dah in 2.55?