1. FFXIV Reset Timers
    Last daily reset was 1 hours, 23 minutes ago / Next daily reset is in 22 hours, 36 minutes
    Last weekly reset was 1 days, 18 hours, 23 minutes ago / Next weekly reset is in 4 days, 15 hours, 36 minutes
+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 107 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 18 58 ... LastLast

Thread: FFXIV story/lore thread     submit to reddit submit to twitter

D. Ring
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Raldo Volca
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung

Since you're all talking about Bahamut dungeon; on the off chance that anyone missed today's better translation of the live letter...
    It’s difficult to explain the Great Labyrinth of Bahamut without saying spoilers. Well, just as everyone saw at the beginning of the stream in the video, Dalamud actually contained Bahamut. So you might ask, “Why was Bahamut inside?” And I believe you all saw that a key-like object fall out of Dalamud and that’s a large part of Bahamut’s containment. It scattered all over Eorzea and is an important clue for the dungeon. You can take on the Great Labyrinth from various locations…
    Seems to fall in line with Rocl's dungeon-on-the-moon kind of thing, if the keys perhaps teleport you somewhere.

D. Ring
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Raldo Volca
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung

the whitest knight u' know
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Miya Kai
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

Well, shit. That definitely clears up a lot of what we've been talking about this entire thread... WAT DO NOW?

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Stanislaw Ziolkowski
    FFXIV Server
    Durandal

Quote Originally Posted by Raldo View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Fernehalwes
    Before I move onto question two, allow me to veer off onto a little tangent: there have been several threads about Hydaelyn’s timeline not matching up with Earth’s. If it has been two years since the release of the game, why is it still 1572 in Eorzea at the time of patch 1.23? This is a dilemma faced by a lot of MMOs. To allow everyone that joins the game, regardless of when they do, to experience the full story, there simply has to be a stoppage of time. Okay, not really a stoppage, but more of a time bubble in which a span of about a year is contained. This is why that for the duration of 1.0, Eorzea was in a perpetual 1572. Think of it as the same thing that’s happening in the Simpsons. 23 seasons gone and Lisa’s still 8, Maggie’s still a baby, and the gummy Venus still tastes oh, so sacrelicious. Pushing time along would also mean changing 1000s of lines of NPC dialogue, updating quests, webpages, etc. with every patch. Meaning it would take more than double the time to release updates, and I’m sure most people wouldn’t want to wait. In a book, movie, offline game, a strict timeline can be set without too many complications. In an online title, there are just too many variables, so we ask that you bear with our bending of space-time. It’s for the greater good!
    Many have commented that the setting has to be Ishgard because no other Adventurers’ Guild has its own aetheryte. However, when looking closely at the guildleves that the Midlander brings back from the counter, we can see that the plates have Limsa Lominsa engraved in the frames, which can only mean that it was the thalassocracy that issued them. The reason behind the flub is fairly simple—the Visual Works team that designed the first opening movie began work on it far before the in-game layout of Limsa’s Adventurers’ Guild was finalized. By the time the map team had decided that the aetheryte was going in a separate plaza to help cut down on congestion of the Adventurers’ Guild, the CGI was too far along to change without setting the completion date back, and so they left it as-is.
    These two in particular made me lol

Hey, at least they're honest!

Edit: Found another jem.

The Midlander is obviously intrigued by what he has experienced. Up until now, he’d never partied with anyone who could wield such powerful Blizzard magicks, and he’d sure as hells never partied with anyone who could hop up onto a morbol and whack it across the head. These animations simply do not exist! And so he decides right then and there that he will search out this party of three and add them to his linkshell, so that they may adventure together in the future.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Teisha Linne
    FFXIV Server
    Moogle
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Yeah, the whole text was pretty nicely written and made me chuckle in a couple of places

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Well that settles most of the questions raised while also hinting at future developments. Now I wanna rewatch the main story cutscenes to look for characters without shadows.. <_<

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ramuh

3. What are the Ascians and what do they represent?

ARR will feature more on these guys, so for now you’ll have to be content with knowing there’s more to know... Anonymoose made a good point in bringing up that Ascian means ‘shadowless’. Perhaps you might find something interesting if you go back through the 1.0 cutscenes and look for people without shadows...
    Time to get hunting. I wanna guess that guy who appeared in the limsa early quests and stole the horn or whatever it was.

Edit:

Travanchet is a male Elezen and an antagonist in Final Fantasy XIV. Interestingly, he does not have a shadow, for reasons yet unknown.
    Well there you go. Travanchet from the early story is probably an ascian (assuming people didnt already know that).

Edit:

And what of those people who possess magic or technology that is beyond the comprehension of the commonfolk? Would they not appear as gods? And what about those powerful entities who fancy themselves as gods, and use people gullible enough to follow them to obtain what they desire (power, gold, etc.)? And what of the actual gods, who normally don’t give a hoot about the ants crawling about their realms, but will intervene when it amuses them? Hopefully the story in ARR will help categorize who falls into what slot.
    Also, I think there's a lot more to the twelve than being the good-guy gods we've had so far. I'm pretty sure pre-release tanaka mentioned something about them being questionable and that there'd be big revelations about them during the story. Answers seems like it's sort of asking why the gods are such dicks, and I'm pretty sure it's been mentioned that the previous umbral eras had some kind of godly influence?

Seems like it's kind of a FF tradition to have good gods turn out to be evil bastards so I wouldn't be too surprised.

As much as I don't like them borrowing from XI I expect the 12 to turn out to be similar to the Zilart, in this case an ancient people (Allaghans) that developed magic/technology on a level that made them god-like in legend and what we know as the 12 were the most gifted of them that continue to live on after their own destruction (possibly via the aether, sounds familiar) and can manifest when needed (the Archons).

If the Archons are literal manifestations of the 12 it's pretty clear they're largely benevolent (saving everyone's ass) but I wonder whether they're simply the gods in physical form or whether they're normal mortals "chosen" by this or that god to be their representative and gifted with knowledge and power to help carry out their will. Considering our interactions with them it seems like the latter is more likely (and more interesting).

CoP Dynamis
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Satu Rhean
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion

On the official site, it says the Garlean Emperor first encountered primals during the eastern campaign. There could be other primals throughout the world, except in Garlean Territory which would explain why they aren't well-versed in magic. Magic is aether and there might be a lack of it in Garlemand so no primal either.

the whitest knight u' know
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Miya Kai
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

Well, they do process aether into ceruleum, which is what powers their Magitek devices. I would imagine they would have to be able to do that at home.

filthy liars!
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Deuce Angaar
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Diabolos

FFXIV story/lore thread

I believe it was mentioned somewhere in the lore that their reason for invading eorzea was because they are after its aether. This would give some credit to the claim that Garlemald lacks access to substantial resources if aether.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

I don't think their plans are completely clear yet. They do use aether to power up their magitek technology and they also use magic. They say they're trying to stop the Primals to save the planet but there's obviously something else.
    Maybe they're after the Primals themselves like in FFVI.

The Once and Future Wamoura
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Rocl Montaigne
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    WoW Realm
    Quel'Thalas

This thread is the best thread, but it's gotten way too old w/o being able to break NDAs and what-not, so let's continue discussing random 1.0 stuff bros.

I still think Susan is one of the Twelve, and you might be able to pick apart the reasoning for cutting some of Answers out:
    Spoiler: show
    Quote Originally Posted by Fernehalwes View Post
    To commemorate the release of the End of an Era trailer, we'd like to (finally!) post the official lyrics to Answers.

As many of you already know, the version used in the trailer is actually significantly shorter than the original. The lyrics below are for the full version, with the 'cut' lyrics highlighted in red.

Answers

Music: Nobuo Uematsu
    Lyrics: Yaeko Sato & Michael-Christopher Koji Fox
    Vocals: Susan Calloway

I close my eyes, tell us why must we suffer
    Release your hands, for your will drags us under
    My legs grow tired, tell us where must we wander
    How can we carry on if redemption's beyond us?

To all of my children in whom Life flows abundant
    To all of my children to whom Death hath passed his judgement
    The soul yearns for honor, and the flesh the hereafter
    Look to those who walked before to lead those who walk after

Shining is the Land's light of justice
    Ever flows the Land's well of purpose
    Walk free, walk free, walk free, believe...
    The Land is alive, so believe...

Suffer (Feel) Promise (Think) Witness (Teach) Reason
    (Hear) Follow (Feel) Wander (Think) Stumble (Teach) Listen
    (Speak) Honor (Speak) Value (Tell) Whisper (Tell) Mention
    (Hope) Ponder (Hope) Warrant (Wish) Cherish (Wish) Welcome
    (Roam) Witness (Roam) Listen (Roam) Suffer (Roam) Sanction
    (Sleep)
    Weather (Sleep) Wander (Sleep) Answer
    Sleep on

Now open your eyes while our plight is repeated
    Still deaf to our cries, lost in hope we lie defeated
    Our souls have been torn, and our bodies forsaken
    Bearing sins of the past, for our future is taken

War born of strife, these trials persuade us not
    (Feel what? Learn what?)
    Words without sound, these lies betray our thoughts
    (See what? Hear what?)

Mired by a plague of doubt, the Land, she mourns
    Judgement binds all we hold to a memory of scorn
    Tell us why, given Life, we are meant to die, helpless in our cries?

Witness (Feel) Suffer (Think) Borrow (Teach) Reason
    (Hear) Follow (Feel) Stumble (Think) Wander (Teach) Listen
    (Blink) Whisper (Blink) Shoulder (Blink) Ponder (Blink) Weather
    (Hear) Answer (Look) Answer (Think) Answer together

Thy Life is a riddle, to bear rapture and sorrow
    To listen, to suffer, to entrust unto tomorrow

In one fleeting moment, from the Land doth life flow
    Yet in one fleeting moment, for anew it doth grow
    In the same fleeting moment
    Thou must live
    Die
    And know

Perhaps the most interesting lyric is one I oft misheard "Mired by a plague of doubt, the Land, she mourns" which ofc plays as Louisoix saves our lives by casting Wall

Since this was in an Alpha video: It's clear the Empire has more of Eorzea under it's control with the Castrum Novum look a like in Gridania

Also, there's a thread on the OF dealing with this theory, which I might scrape together relevant bits later for archival purposes but the Main Scenario Quests, the majority of those cutscenes, take place in the past. The Archons, Thancred & crew, were in Eorzea in the past--we don't meet the Archons forizzle until Futures Perfect, though they 'know' us from the Echo. The majority of 1.0 storyline is the Echo. (Related: Is there any time our Path Companion sees the Archons outside of Futures Perfect? That might be a good way to separate present/Echo)

EDIT: I originally said 10 years ago, but it seems to vary from CS to CS (which makes sense tbh); some stuff (old admiral) is obviously years ago, Y'shtola berating Baderon could(and probably is) weeks ago. I always thought it was ridiculous int he Goldsmith Quests that Nielle had been dead "for years;" long enough for his bro to make a move on his girl but ... makes sense now >_> This would mean the entire Ul'dah opening is Echo though (actually do any NPCs mention the goobbue attack? well.. ones we're sure at in the Echo?)

Fuck. everything.

I don't remember discussing this guy's translation either:
    http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/t...l=1#post901670
    Quote Originally Posted by Soukyuu View Post
    This one was very long and surprisingly had a lot of unique info tidbits. Enjoy.
    Source: [Part I | Part II ] [ my comments ]

• Story
      • Nael is dead. [Sounded pretty final, so no "coming back as omega weapon" etc]
      • Gaius was just observing which party is going to fall, so he and his troops are unharmed. He is going to be our opponent for the time being.
      • Garlean Empire's motivation is "Primals are killing the planet, so we have to stop them. Unite under our banner to bring on an era of peace! If you go against us, this means you are aiding the beast tribes to destroy the planet. This means, you are our enemy."
      • Crystal tower is related to the mystery behind the Allagan Empire, and is it's legacy.
      • All of the 3 storylines are interwined somehow.
      • Dalamud was a machine created by the Allagan Empire [so, it was not the same as the sealing ceremony Louisiox tried to perform!]
      • The emperor Xandes (sp?) of the Allagan Empire is not dead. He is actually in a cold sleep chamber. Yoshida-san wants us to speculate whether Nael was trying to bring Dalamud down to awaken the Emperor and whether the appearance of the Crystal Tower signifies the Emperor's awakening or not.
      • Main story will end at lvl50 with a tentative ending, what will follow are numbered patches, just like with the 7th Umbral Era storyline of 1.x. He emphasizes that he's not talking about expansions here. Those 3 storylines will come to a conclusion before the first expansion is released.
      • "The Grand Labyrith of Bahamut" is not meant figuratively, but literally. It's going to be huge.
      • It appears that Bahamut was not allowed to roam around freely, which is why there is a labyrinth and why the world has recovered. The whiteout at the end of the End of Era trailer takes place right before something happens. [Odin after all?]
    • Misc
      • They expected the servers to crash a lot on the last day
      • Reason why they went along with it anyway is, they wanted as many people as possible to watch the trailer at the same time
      • We definitely won't be able to experience the 7th Umbral Storyline/Content again, but not saying "no" to time-travel in general
      • Apparently, 1.0 servers were running on LUA scripts, and the biggest problems were instability and memory consumption.
      • Back when he decided to destroy the world [oooh, evil :D] instead of just shutting down the servers, he was looking for a way to do that. That's when he asked what the dot near the moon was. Apparently, Dalamud was supposed to be used in a future scenario of the original story. Well, what he did was to ask "is it okay to make it fall?"
      • That's when he started to prepare the plot and thought "just dropping it is boring... what is typical for FF? Summons... speaking of summons... Bahamut! :D"
      • He admits his choice was inspired by WoW's Cataclysm to some degree. He felt this way there would be a surprise, while still staying FF-like
      • ARR opening may feature a narration by Louisiox. [Don't jump to conclusions yet]
      • The opening will include the summary of the end of the 6th astral era (3 minutes) and will be around 8 minutes long in total.

There's other stuff in there about tech things and beta/alpha but idc about that here.

Random musings: ARR won't take place in the 7th Umbral but instead the 7th Astral Era. I'm not 100% sold that Dalamud =/= Louisoix's ceremony unless Louisoix's thing was remaking Dalamud and was more restoration than creation (which I think is obvious by the word remaking/repairing/recreating/reidfk in my sentence)

Xandes is the most interesting part of this; Cartenau Flats is right above the Crypt/Tomb of Xandes in the current 1.0 map and this could mean maybe Xandes was the one manipulating Nael to summon Bahamut as he had done before? The Allagans seem to have a thing for putting people in stasis instead of killing them--maybe it's to avoid them returning through the Aether lulz I'm gonna go with Xandes being the eventual boss at the top of the Crystal Tower cuz of FF3

Also, I never finished FF3 because I have ADD and lost my fucking DS game thing (why are the games so small, gdi) it appears Xandes' plan in FF3 is similar to the overarching story of FFXIV? Immortality, draining crystals of their power, blah blah maybe the Allagans granted his wish of Immortality by freezing time around him idfk I never got that far don't judge me I read wikis

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kharlan Lynare
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Valefor
    WoW Realm
    Kirin Tor

-The "most of the 1.0 story is an echo" "theory" is definitely correct. I'm actually surprised at how they didn't miss a single "fwoosh" (sound that plays when you enter/exit the echo in the cutscenes). I started watching all CSs looking for errors and I haven't found any so far. What a convoluted way to tell a story, lol. It's definitely true though, every single time you're dealing with an item related to the Circle of Knowing characters, you get a sound that marks the start of the echo and a sound that marks the end of it when you leave (or the conversation topic ends).

The transition isn't as obvious as when your character uses the Echo manually which is probably why so many people didn't put it together earlier. I wonder what causes the uncontrolled Echos?

-The "it wasn't the same ceremony" comment was added by the translator. Can't tell yet. Those interviews have addressed obvious points before (we knew Dalamud was made by the allagans).

-Not enough info, but I don't think Xandes is going to be evil in the sense that he wanted to be freed to fuck up/reconquer the world. He might be pissed we've messed up the aetherstream so bad after the allags died off and that's why we fight him. He might have been sealed in a similar way to the Zilart King in COP (we know Cloud of Darkness is a going to be in the Crystal Tower from a different interview, so this might actually be it). I don't know, again it's all just baseless speculation because there's no information, but he doesn't strike me as an "evil" antagonist for some reason.

I also feel like Yoshida is trolling us with the "maybe Darnus wanted to bring down Dalamud to free Xandes" comment.

EDIT: Hate not being able to talk about ARR alpha lore, FFFFFFFFFFFFF

Since the Echo is considered a gift from the Twelve I would assume the uncontrolled episodes are them flipping it on in order to show us stuff they think we need to see.

Bard-turned-Miner
    BG Level

Wait, seriously? What a fucked up convoluted thing to pull on the players. It would, though, explain the amazingly disjointed nature of the main scenario.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Rocl Montaigne
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    WoW Realm
    Quel'Thalas

Most cutscenes with track 52 are in the Echo iirc (in addition i'm p sure it's only used when you're doing a quest inside the Echo too)

this is shitty quality but the "woosh" in question can be seen in this video around @2:30-- player chatting away with chef WOOSH Y'shtola 3:25 UNWOOSH back in the present 5:50 and 7:00 (i apparently forgot to post this video and i dont feel like finding the exact one again, so just believe me and watch the Gridania one ;-; )

It also seems in the openings ( you enter the Echo; as you're climbing up the stairs on the ship and right after seeing the starshower in Grid (which is more or less the same for Limsa too)

EDIT: Yes--I believe this is 100% right. The people getting off the Caravan (lala bros & roegadyn dude) were not on the Caravan you were on

Also, I might be crazy again but it sounds like there's a bell chiming during the Starshowers lol (which, if you did Grid quests, know is when the Echo "sounded")

spoilers for main scenario using this crazy ass theory:

Khrimm = Hermit of the Wood
    Stahlmann = Rusted Steel = Former Admiral
    Ascillia (sp) = Minfilia (sp); flower girl grows up to lead The Path of the Twelve

This also fixes the Syndicate (I could swear one of the Main Scenario quests mentions Nielle & being in the Syndicate, or at least the garuka and him--but obviously this isn't true in the present.

JESUS HOW DID NO ONE NOTICE THIS LOL

You're literally talking to the Hermit of the Wood and BAM WOOSH ECHO he's no longer there, nor is the Seedseer, or the Moogles OR ANYONE (@1:35 or so) you come out of the Echo at like 8:40 or so with a WOOSH and the Hermit of the Wood talking to you, after the Starshower and "the Echo has sounded" bit

Basically, this is the biggest "why didnt i put 2+2=5 before?" since Nael using Megaflare and Dalamud containing Bahamut

edit edit: oh shit I never posted the Limsa video lol >_> but trust me it's there too

edit edit edit:
    blah, my only problem with the WOOSH ECHO makes it seem like Urianger is in the past too... and Papalymo & him aren't acquainted (maybe Papalymo is lying idk)

oh no--- that's a different woosh? jesus fucking christ lol

I just want to point out again this whole theory started in the Localization section of the Official Forums; that Anonymoose guy knows more than me, fuck :<

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Rocl Montaigne
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    WoW Realm
    Quel'Thalas

okay so I figure continually editting one post will probably make people not read it, so this is a new post & extension of the former

Papalymo admits to lying about knowing/working with Urianger here @~6:10, but the kids @~2:30 (during Kan-E-Senna's speech) appear to contain Khrimm and Fye so uh... what? Also this other Mezaya verse I didn't remember at all-- the one pertaining to the Sixth Umbral Era (aka the one before, and of water):

Ne'er till astral hopes dim can umbral dreads fear,
    Waters spout silver swords, skies rain blue spears,
    By ancient truths shall Archons carve men of stone,
    Foe blades chip and shatter, great victories be known.

The interesting part, I think is "skies rain blue spears" what with Dalamud's 'keys' and all, but the rest is irrelevant to the Seventh, so I don't think it's a huge deal maybe probably not they went through the trouble of showing us this :<

Garlemald, in its hubris, would call down the gods themselves that they might defy them.

GODDAMNIT URIANGER, STOP MAKING ME FEEL AWFUL

jfc, the quest after this mentions that the elementals say a great and terrible power was cast into the skies-- but they wouldn't say what cuz they're too ascared THAT'S NO MOON (I know this is obvious from other quests, but this is like 1.19; it's so nifty to see that imo, but yeah yeah we know Yoshi-P planned Bahamut for a while)

I got distracted from the Seventh Umbral to look more at the Main Scenario: Look at the Path of the Twelve's symbol. This flag sits above Minfilia:

EDIT: At some point two Eorzean letters were added to this, in spoiler below is the old flag

What does this mean? Fucking death stars made of keys.

Minfilia's first line: "I am delighted to see you once again." This line only appears for Ul'dahns. (Actually, I think you meet here in the low level quests-- I'll get back to this)

The Limsa Lominsa line reads "You must be the [wo]man Walker Blackburn spoke of."

She also mentions being the acting Antecedent-- maybe that means there's another bro who really runs the show? '~' who knows, he probably died during Bahamut

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Teisha Linne
    FFXIV Server
    Moogle
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

I love you.
    Still need to go back and read on some previous posts, but damn that stuff is good.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Rocl Montaigne
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    WoW Realm
    Quel'Thalas

Quote Originally Posted by Jamison View Post
    Wait, seriously? What a fucked up convoluted thing to pull on the players. It would, though, explain the amazingly disjointed nature of the main scenario.
    Yeah.. rewatching and looking for unintended Echoing/wooshes the story makes like 80% more sense. It's ridiculous.

I also want to correct me saying Nielle & co was in the Syndicate-- they were the children of the Syndicate looking to take over. Also Stahlmann was never Admiral but planning to become Admiral.

Also also, in case you had doubts that Tranvanchet is an Ascian: watch any cutscene with him and then the Ascian one. Whenever he's on screen (or the Ascian) the same music plays. In addition to the whole shadow thing (in fact the lalafell F path companion refers to Ascians as "Shadows without shadow"

And yes, you do meet Minfilia in the final Ul'dah quest right before you see Nielle's murder. Considering each of the other grow uppers (which I'm more confident in) is frequent in the storyline and all other Ul'dah NPCs are accounted for--you see all of them again save Greinfarr (the roegadyn), who was exiled. At least, I think you don't see him. I never leveled all classes to 50 nor did I watch all their cutscenes. Damieliot staying the same age (Elezen boy in Alchemy quests/Ul'dah story) is probably accounted for by Elezen taking longer to grow up or some shit (also it might explain how the Elezen kid remains in the present in Grid? not sure if that's true but uh... he's there trust me)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 107 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 18 58 ... LastLast