Valefor

Damn... no classic Grenth vs Dwayna

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ramuh
    WoW Realm
    Kilrogg

They said a while ago that they couldn't do that in gw2 since the old gods are dead

I'd Rather Be in Zi'Tah
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kaelie Niie
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Ramuh
    WoW Realm
    Kilrogg

Not dead... just gone. They left the "world" after the crapfest that Abbadon brought down in Nightfall.

As for the event itself, I am really hoping for a winterizing of the world for a month or so. I am just glad that every city will get a little love, something that was completely lacking in Halloween.

Impossiblu
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Prothescar Centursa
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

Would like to read more about the lore of the Gods leaving, if there is any? Would have thought that the apotheosis of Kormir would have strengthened the God's resolve to the world rather than kill it off.

But yeah, if the event is anything as good as the Halloween one, I'm looking forward to it. Vanilla Lion's Arch is just boring compared to the Halloween one. :C And as stupid as it sounds, the GW2 Halloween event got me more into the spirit of the holiday than anything else has in 10+ years

Falcom is better than SE. Change my mind.
    BG Level

Looks interesting, though Tixx kinda creeps me out.

I'd Rather Be in Zi'Tah
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kaelie Niie
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Ramuh
    WoW Realm
    Kilrogg

Quote Originally Posted by Prothescar View Post
    Would like to read more about the lore of the Gods leaving, if there is any? Would have thought that the apotheosis of Kormir would have strengthened the God's resolve to the world rather than kill it off.
    From the wiki:
    "hese gods are credited with bringing the humans to Tyria and had historically taken a large part in the development of the human race, often using their powers to guide and intervene in events. However, in the past 200 years the Six Gods have stepped back and while they still answer the prayers of their followers, they are much more distant than before, letting humanity stand on its own feet.

This silence from their gods has changed little of their faith, though some now question an undying devotion to these now absent gods. Temples are still made devoted to their worship, and the streets of Divinity's Reach are named and decorated for each of the gods."

Not much there in terms of existing lore about the gods. Just that after the ordeal with Abaddon/Kormir they stepped away completely from the every day lives of the Humans of Tyria.

As much as I do not want to say this is a cop out on Arena.net's part, it really is. They needed to distance themselves from the completely Human-centric Guild Wars 1 version of Tyria and give us an "evolved" culture that was about all 5 races. The Wintersday events in GW1 were extremely Human centric and involved the actual avatars of Grenth and Dwayna (and Melandru/Bathazar). Basically between Life/Death and Creation/Destruction. While they could still have this type of event because Human ritual/culture hasn't necessary changed all that much in 250 years, the actual 4 gods did appear in one form or another during those "classic" events/battlegrounds/quests/missions in Guild Wars 1.

We are left with the knowledge that they will not show up. So what type of events will there be? It would be really nice just to see A.net acknowledge that with 5 races come 5 different cultures and give us holiday events that are specific to each culture. Christmas could be Human, New Year Sylvari, Summerfest Charr, Norn Octoberfest, Asura ... well I dont know what Asura. But it would be cool if they had chosen that aspect of holidays. We all celebrate them all, but on Earth they have more meaning towards different cultures.

Impossiblu
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Prothescar Centursa
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

Asura nothing, they don't deserve a holiday

Halloween is a human holiday. And culturally no other race in tyria celebrates these type of events that we see in our world, yes it's nice to see that they're having an asura as a toymaker. why not have him like the grinch? why not just celebrate certain cultural achievements i.e the charr legions subduing the flame legion in summer, the sylvari firstborn in spring?

I'd Rather Be in Zi'Tah
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kaelie Niie
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Ramuh
    WoW Realm
    Kilrogg

Quote Originally Posted by Arcana View Post
    why not just celebrate certain cultural achievements i.e the charr legions subduing the flame legion in summer, the sylvari firstborn in spring?
    Thats what I am kind of hoping for.

GW1 had 4 total "real" events a year. Halloween, Wintersday (Christmas) , Canthan (Chinese) New Year and the Dragon Festival (Summerfest/Fourth of July). The latter two were Canthan specific holidays that will somehow need to be re-envisioned since there is only a small Canthan "refugee" community currently in the game world.

As you can see there are a lot of real world holidays that are not included. Using the Sylvari "Birthday" as Easter would be an obvious choice.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ramuh
    WoW Realm
    Kilrogg

tol

dat jumping puzzle

Quote Originally Posted by tol View Post
    dat jumping puzzle
    My body is ready.

Official winters day schedule added

https://www.guildwars2.com/en/the-ga...december-2012/

Impossiblu
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Prothescar Centursa
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

Hey, maybe they're selling the weapon skins separate from chests this time! Novel concept

New Odin
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sparthia Abysseant
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

Does Wintersday come with a patch or is it just the event going live on the 14th?

I'll be sure to actually finish the achievements this time as well.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ramuh
    WoW Realm
    Kilrogg

Quote Originally Posted by ronin sparthos View Post
    Does Wintersday come with a patch or is it just the event going live on the 14th?

I'll be sure to actually finish the achievements this time as well.
    There will be a patch likely on the evening of the 13th or sometime the 14th to begin everything. Though if its anything like Halloween it will be released in phases

Quote Originally Posted by Takiwaki View Post
    Official winters day schedule added

https://www.guildwars2.com/en/the-ga...december-2012/
    Nothing new on that page for me

tol

I had to let permission for a script from ncsoftsomethinsomethin to see the schedule etc. It was something new for me.

Falcom is better than SE. Change my mind.
    BG Level

This couldn't come at a better time. My semester ends Thursday so I won't have to worry about missing out due to exams.

Yarglebargle
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

Can somebody post when the update goes live so I can turn my comp on to download it. My comp is having issues and I leave it off as much as possible until I get paid so I can fix it.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast