+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 92 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 15 55 ... LastLast

Elemental weapons need to go away or at the very least have a scaling function.

ie. Have the damage not scale with any normal stats (as they do now) but have them scale to overall SL and not reach max damage until at least SL100+.

They're extremely broken for NG and PvP in general, they may lose their luster in NG+ when enemies get much more DEF and multi-damage type weapons are less effective but in terms of PvP we never get some magical defense boost.

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Orson Dara
    FFXIV Server
    Cactuar
    FFXI Server
    Alexander

Re: Dark Souls 2 (PS3/360,PC)

Quote Originally Posted by fantasticdan View Post
    No? Beating the game with drake sword/crossbows/elemental weapons/pyromancy/etc. at low level is very easy for a player that has already been threw everything before.
    And that would be resolved by attaching an ilevel similar to WoW. Invasions are a excellent feature that really make the game challenging and exciting. Lastly there already is an off switch just don't Rez yourself.

Banned.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Patricia Lanvaldear
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas

I hope they don't take any of those suggestions. Invasions are fine as is.
    Have I been invaded and totally destroyed at low level? Yes, yes I have... but that's all part of the game. If you don't want to deal with it... don't go around in human form.

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Orson Dara
    FFXIV Server
    Cactuar
    FFXI Server
    Alexander

Quote Originally Posted by Charismatic View Post
    Have I been invaded and totally destroyed at low level? Yes, yes I have... but that's all part of the game. If you don't want to deal with it... don't go around in human form.
    The funny part is dying isn't even a big deal. People just rage too much in games now if they aren't handed the win. I do think balancing power leveling a bit wouldn't hurt though. The bottomless box glitch was pretty bad I don't think the majority of people liked it.

On a side note I hope they make PC version from day one!

The Real Cookiemonster
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Dark Depravity
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas

Holy... I am ready. No I am not, but give it to me anyway!

It goes without saying that the bottomless box glitch was bad for PvP. I don't think I got a single invader in the SL 10-20 range in the burg that wasn't wearing full darkwraith (or some other late game armor NOT from the expansion areas) with a low stat requirement lightning weapon (most commonly estoc, because god forbid they ran into someone playing their own b-boxed char they didn't want to have to risk dropping their shield).

Is it possible that they got it by going thru the game at a low SL? Sure.

Is it likely that so many people went thru all that effort just to effortlessly one shot people on new characters? Not really. People are dicks yes, but that would get real boring, real fast.

Nidhogg
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Serefina Solfyre
    FFXIV Server
    Odin
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Do want.

As far as the PvP goes, I think that backstabs should just do more damage against other players rather than the whole invincible animation thing. Also it would be nice to have an "area browser" to invade people etc rather than having to stand in the specific area - something to speed the process up and make it more fun.

Sandworm Swallows
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Litz Zatsuza
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

WHERE WILL PATCHES TRY TO SCAM US NEXT?!

Quote Originally Posted by AoE View Post
    WHERE WILL PATCHES TRY TO SCAM US NEXT?!
    where ever you find a hole with loot at the bottom, patches will be there to help you get it. <3 patches

Hate to keep harping on elemental weapons but here's some comparative numbers, I'm just gonna spoiler it all since people are probably tired of hearing about it by now.

I just really hope it's something they fix in Dark 2.

Spoiler: show
    A lightning claymore +5 does 257/257 = 514 damage and can be wielded for full damage at SL 7.

A standard claymore +15 does 322 physical damage at base required stats. In order to match lightning +5's damage you would need 77 combined STR/DEX (513 damage) which puts you at SL 55 if you ONLY put points into STR/DEX, leaving you with base VIT/END.

With the lightning claymore by SL 54 you could have 40 END and 30 VIT with 1 stat point to spare while still matching the standard's damage (not spending that last spare point and being a lower SL means you can invade the standard too).

All of this is after the 1.06 elemental weapon nerf btw, it's also worth pointing out the dual def check penalty of multi-element weapons is much less significant in PvP than NG+ PvE since character DEF levels off much earlier.

(assuming both chars are using Havel's ring):

The standard+15:
    -513 physical damage
    -can't deal damage thru a decent shield
    -base VIT/HP
    -only enough stamina for 3-4 swings max
    -not enough equip weight for any decent amount of def/poise without losing fast-roll

The lightning+5:
    -514 physical/lightning damage
    -can deal damage thru any shield
    -almost twice as much HP as the standard
    -max stamina bar
    -enough equip weight for much better def/poise while maintaining fast-roll
    or
    -highly superior def/poise with mid-roll

Now obviously no one in their right mind would create a build like the standard but the point is that the requirements to achieve similar damage levels with a standard weapon compared to an elemental weapon are massive.

Banned.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Patricia Lanvaldear
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas

Quote Originally Posted by Niiro View Post
    Hate to keep harping on elemental weapons but here's some comparative numbers, I'm just gonna spoiler it all since people are probably tired of hearing about it by now.

I just really hope it's something they fix in Dark 2.

Spoiler: show
    A lightning claymore +5 does 257/257 = 514 damage and can be wielded for full damage at SL 7.

A standard claymore +15 does 322 physical damage at base required stats. In order to match lightning +5's damage you would need 77 combined STR/DEX (513 damage) which puts you at SL 55 if you ONLY put points into STR/DEX, leaving you with base VIT/END.

With the lightning claymore by SL 54 you could have 40 END and 30 VIT with 1 stat point to spare while still matching the standard's damage (not spending that last spare point and being a lower SL means you can invade the standard too).

All of this is after the 1.06 elemental weapon nerf btw, it's also worth pointing out the dual def check penalty of multi-element weapons is much less significant in PvP than NG+ PvE since character DEF levels off much earlier.

(assuming both chars are using Havel's ring):

The standard+15:
    -513 physical damage
    -can't deal damage thru a decent shield
    -base VIT/HP
    -only enough stamina for 3-4 swings max
    -not enough equip weight for any decent amount of def/poise without losing fast-roll

The lightning+5:
    -514 physical/lightning damage
    -can deal damage thru any shield
    -almost twice as much HP as the standard
    -max stamina bar
    -enough equip weight for much better def/poise while maintaining fast-roll
    or
    -highly superior def/poise with mid-roll

Now obviously no one in their right mind would create a build like the standard but the point is that the requirements to achieve similar damage levels with a standard weapon compared to an elemental weapon are massive.
    I actually often will use standard weapons in my build because I like to enchant which was also not accounted for in your build but yeah lightning and chaos weapons are pretty good and it only starts to balance out at higher levels but each weapon type SHOULD have its benefits and imo the benefit of the element weapons is the damage at lower SL and without specialized builds for them.
    Gonna sound like a broken record but I actually like things as they are.

I actually often will use standard weapons in my build because I like to enchant which was also not accounted for in your build but yeah lightning and chaos weapons are pretty good and it only starts to balance out at higher levels but each weapon type SHOULD have its benefits and imo the benefit of the element weapons is the damage at lower SL and without specialized builds for them.
    i agree, +15s might not be super great but +15s with enchants are super broken powerful lol, worth the extra stats when i can 1shot bosses with CMW

alsohawks

ALL YOU YOUNG HACKEY
    PLAYERS OUT THERE

BG Level

Here's Quelaag's speculation video:

Also here's a snippet from information coming out of Edge magazine with more information: http://www.computerandvideogames.com...ps-aside/#null

Wasn't sure if it was worth posting in hopes no one flies off the handle about what the game may or may not be a whole day after it's announcement. Miyazaki not being at the head made me nervous, but he's still supervising and Tomohiro Shibuya has had a hand in the Monster Hunter games so I'm not at all mad about this. I'm actually playing through my first MH right now and have thought they shared a lot of elements.

e: also came across this: http://vetisx.tumblr.com/post/374891...ied-my-best-to

alsohawks

ALL YOU YOUNG HACKEY
    PLAYERS OUT THERE

BG Level

Also reassured by this old video I came across looking for information about the changes in the Armored Core series and was majorly relieved, primarily the quotes right around the 4minute mark.

From Software's philosophy is not to get caught up chasing what's popular, but rather to make games based on what we value. It's our company's most basic principle.

alsohawks

ALL YOU YOUNG HACKEY
    PLAYERS OUT THERE

BG Level

Also I'm with you on this and the talk about weapons. I enjoyed it and based on the Miyazaki's philosophy of how he wanted invasions and summonings to work, they're what he intended and there are controls, like being undead as you said, to remove yourself from it. I was never hugely into PvP so I can't really sympathize with the min/max crowd talking about weapons.

Yoshi P
    BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Arthas

Quote Originally Posted by orson View Post
    And that would be resolved by attaching an ilevel similar to WoW. Invasions are a excellent feature that really make the game challenging and exciting. Lastly there already is an off switch just don't Rez yourself.
    That would be far to complicated to implement and you know it, especially in a game where you can swap out gear/weapons from your inventory/storage on the fly.

Having to jump off a cliff after kindling a fire, or sign offline as a new/bad player just to summon solaire is pretty silly thou.

The thing is, there really are no legitimate low-mid level invasions in dark souls anyway; you need to already have beaten the majority of the game to join the darkwraith or darkmoon covenenat, and almost no one is even going find those covenants on their first blind playthrough. The result is that new players can't really ever invade anyone, and when they get invaded themselves, it's almost exclusively by veteran players in maxed armor/weapons that they have no chance of defeating. I don't think they should remove invasions entirely, but the current system is just terrible, and a step back from demon souls even.

Going back to ungradable armor (like demon souls), changing elemental/dragon weapons to scale with SL, adding pvp covenents much earlier in the game, and making pyromancy/crossbows scale to something would have fixed most of the problems.

Quote Originally Posted by Niiro View Post
    Is it possible that they got it by going thru the game at a low SL? Sure.

Is it likely that so many people went thru all that effort just to effortlessly one shot people on new characters? Not really. People are dicks yes, but that would get real boring, real fast.
    Honestly, it doesn't take much effort. If you already know the game inside and out, beating NG with non-scaling weapons/pyromancy at a low SL isn't any harder than doing it normally. Getting from the start of the game to joining darkwraiths really only takes a couple hours.

And yes there are a lot of people still doing it. I made a level 25 no scaling character (elemental katanas/great scythe, lightning avelyn, maxed pyromancy, etc.) to countergank people, and I get invaded constantly in undead berg/perish.

invasion system is fine imho, its the friendly system that needs tweaking idk how many times i tried to help a friend and it took 5-10 mins to connect to them, sucks, needs to be an easier way to play with people on your friends list.

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Orson Dara
    FFXIV Server
    Cactuar
    FFXI Server
    Alexander

Quote Originally Posted by fantasticdan View Post
    That would be far to complicated to implement and you know it, especially in a game where you can swap out gear/weapons from your inventory/storage on the fly.
    You underestimate how easy it would be to implement. They could easily lock gear swaps when you invade. The thing is you take away invasions and you lose a huge aspect of the game.

Invasions are the risk vs reward of being able to summon. You can always make a mad dash to the boss fight if you want and skip the invader. Not only that you can summon multiple allies. If they cleaned up their net code it would be far easier to Co-op and having a better tutorial of how to heal your allies would make PVP easier. With my previous suggestion of locking all healing items for invaders it wouldn't be bad at all.

Again being ganked isn't a big deal, dying is the theme of the game. If you get ganked there is an extremely low chance of getting invaded again right away after.

Everybody's Favourite Nobody
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

I always thought that backstabs should do reduced damage to people who have shields on their backs (IE they're twohanding a weapon with a shield in their offhand). Overpowered or not I dunno, but I thought it would be an interesting mechanic

In order to enchant weapons you'd need to invest in INT/FAI and attunement, both of which mean more SLs tacked on or less points in physical stats (so less physical damage).

Not to mention weapon enchants will always suffer from the weakness of limited duration and limited casts, also prevents you from changing weapons without losing the enchantment.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 92 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 15 55 ... LastLast