Item Search

BG-Wiki Search
+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 47 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 21 ... LastLast
    Who's driving? Oh my God Bear is driving! How can that be??
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

Also speaking of job abilities when SE said this a few months back:

No, runes will not be generated through consumable items like ninja tools. Instead, they will be generated/used via an ability. There will be a recast timer associated with runes, which is currently planned to be around 10 seconds. With that said, I think you can consider the system to be quite close to how dancers function.
    it makes me think that Rune Fencer will have a stance of course (Att/Defense) and their runes will work like steps. For instance, using a Fire Element Rune will perform something like a step/quick draw which is instantaneous and will deal Fire Damage via striking the mob with their weapon. If they can do this every 10 seconds and if the runes also work to debuff to a specific element, then I can see Rune Fencers doing elemental rotations with runes as they melee. What I want to know more about though is how Rune Fencer will defend against physical attacks.

I am expecting to see RNF have the highest parry in the game with perhaps a Parry Mastery Trait or something, a bit like the Shield Mastery on Pld. Other than that, no Idea

*giggles* Parry skill...

>The Implying
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Jeryhn Astracrown
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus

For RUN, I anticipate some expanded idea of Celes' Runic ability in terms of setting up a kind of trap for magic spells, and when the mob casts a particular elemental spell (or if the ability they are using matches the element), the effects are nullified and instead some other bonus is conferred to the Rune Fencer (rather than simply gaining MP), whether it be something that increases their hate, something that grants PDT/MDT-, or other things. This kind of system can become particularly interesting if the RUN can also absorb friendly spells from party members to gain rune buffs.

Custom Title
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    Blog Entries

this might be dabbling a little into speculation but i was thinking that RNF might function similarly to DNC mixed in with PUP..

like, runes could be put up ala maneuvers every 10s.. and you could like hold up to 3 runes at a time. each rune would have a different effect on its own and generally take on a self-defensive role, but they could be used like finishing moves to create stronger buffs for the party or to enhance the RNFs own offensive capability. from there, different rune combinations (runewords if you will) could lead to stronger or more complicated buffs and so on...

i think Celes's Runic should definitely be an ability, tho i don't know whether the current gameplay system would be able to handle such a mechanic, especially if its an AoE spell. so maybe instead of directly absorbing the spell it could end up being like an AoE blink for magic attacks or something and the MP absorption formula would come from something else

I could see them doing a WoW death-knightish system- you have runes that get discharged to use your abilities combined with MP, and recharge them via actions/JA's during combat.

New Spam Forum
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Quote Originally Posted by Spira View Post
    i think Celes's Runic should definitely be an ability, tho i don't know whether the current gameplay system would be able to handle such a mechanic, especially if its an AoE spell. so maybe instead of directly absorbing the spell it could end up being like an AoE blink for magic attacks or something and the MP absorption formula would come from something else
    If the current gameplay system can't handle it, and they haven't been changing it until it can, then they've been wasting their time. If there's a job called "Rune Fencer" that has a role that overlaps with what "Runic" does precisely, and it doesn't have it, then a hundred thousand fanboys will flood the forums with their tears of bitter disappointment, and RNF will get off to a start as bad as PUP. (Never mind that "Runic" is a pure Woolseyism and the original ability name had nothing to do with runes; it was called 魔封剣, literally "magic seal sword".)

Custom Title
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    Blog Entries

it could go either way..
    Rune Fencer is supposedly closest to the Mystic Knight from FFV.. which is primarily known for elemental and status enspell type attacks and SOS shell

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Slycer Ilerion
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

Did they ever say Rune Fencer would be an MP-consuming job with a spell list? I was always under the impression that it would not have MP or any spells by default and that its capabilities would all be based on the runes which would just play out of the abilities menus. If it's not a spellcasting job, I don't see how Runic would play into it.

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

I think the only question of importance left unanswered about Rune Fencer is why is their main weapon a GSword when Fencer only works with single wielded onehanders?

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Slycer Ilerion
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

Quote Originally Posted by Chamaan View Post
    I think the only question of importance left unanswered about Rune Fencer is why is their main weapon a GSword when Fencer only works with single wielded onehanders?
    Do we even know that its a great sword aside from guessing based on the relative size in the illustrations? Because in both of them they're holding the sword with one hand (using their other hand, the male is casting a barrier-type thing with runes and the female seems to be enhancing the sword with runes). Could just be a big-ass sword (the one the female is using isn't even that big)?

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

Pretty sure they said it in the livestream of Vanafest. Camate and Bayohne were telling us a lot of cliffnotes stuff.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Quote Originally Posted by Slycer View Post
    Did they ever say Rune Fencer would be an MP-consuming job with a spell list? I was always under the impression that it would not have MP or any spells by default and that its capabilities would all be based on the runes which would just play out of the abilities menus. If it's not a spellcasting job, I don't see how Runic would play into it.
    I'm pretty sure they did back at Vanafest? I'd imagine their list to be somewhat similar to PLD's likely swapping Protect V with Shell V among other things.
    They could also use MP for runes considering they're not using items.

New Odin
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sparthia Abysseant
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

Why does it have to be one or the other? They could easily use GSWD and swords like Paladin.

I mean it'd make sense for RNF to use Great Swords since the weapon type is only really used by DRKs but yeah, both weapons could be viable.

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

Don't think they talked about the spell list. They did mention that they'd be getting some kind of JA that would let them manipulate enhancing magic though, so it'd make sense for them to get at least shell, phalanx, and bars, if not cure/erase.

I been thinking about how this job could work to keep physical damage down. I could definitely see RNF getting to use their little stacky rune things to eat physical hits, like shadows. Like, do a flourish or whatever, get 4 runes, each rune nullifies or reduces damage from a hit. Just keep stacking them back up as the timer falls. Kind of like a dancer/ninja step/utsu hybrid where your steps are shadows.

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Slycer Ilerion
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

Quote Originally Posted by Alkar View Post
    They could also use MP for runes considering they're not using items.
    I'm like 90% sure they said it would be ability-based at some point (maybe something like stratagems or w/e).

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

Okay it was bugging me all this stuff that I knew we were already told but seemed to forget. So I went back and looked at the post-Vanafest interview they did on Gamerescape.

http://gamerescape.com/2012/07/25/ga...vanafest-2012/

SE- Runes will be activated through the use of abilities. As mentioned at VanaFest, there are both offensive and defensive types of runes. Offensive runes will mainly be used against enemies dealing elemental damage and such, while defensive runes will mainly be used on yourself and party members to reduce elemental damage.

Rune fencers will also be able to utilize enhancing magic, so like paladins they will also utilize and consume MP.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Quote Originally Posted by Slycer View Post
    I'm like 90% sure they said it would be ability-based at some point (maybe something like stratagems or w/e).
    Steps are abilities and consume TP, flourishes consume Finishing Moves. With a 10 seconds recast or so I honestly doubt these runes will be free but we'll see.

Impossiblu
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Prothescar Centursa
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

If they use a stratagem system then they are still using a currency, "free" but limited.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Quote Originally Posted by Prothescar View Post
    If they use a stratagem system then they are still using a currency, "free" but limited.
    Yeah but with a 10 seconds recast I doubt they'll use charges.