Adajer Vonte
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Asura
    WoW Realm
    Tichondrius

Boyiee Signal On!! Need help finding a headset/headphones

So I am directing this at Boyiee, but anyone with useful info is welcome.

I just bought Creative Sound Blaster Z to replace my Xonar DG. I have a pair of Corsair 1300s. I have a few bucks to spend and want to inch closer to audiophilia. I believe I could do a lot better than the 1300s. I primarily game (mmo & fps) but I do listen to a lot of music.

Have you seen any new headphones that are better than the 555's or the 558's that you recently recommended? I was going to buy the PC 350's but I want to do a bit more research.

Thanks.

P.S. I have noticed some people talking about getting a good sound card, headphones, and an additional amp for the headphones even though the card has an amp. What's up with that?

Ironing this Thread
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Boyiee Star
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    WoW Realm
    Kel'Thuzad

lol, I noticed this from the main page I'm like "is that my name?"

How much are you willing to spend? The more music you listen to, the higher end we can direct you, and the more costly it gets.

Getting yourself a cheap amp like a Fiio E9 with an E7 (17 now?) combo is pretty sweet. Sennheiser JUST released or is about to release a new midrange set of headphones I think to compete with the Beats price range, might be in between the 598/600 price range. Otherwise, go big or go home. HD600's but don't do it without an amp.

Head-fi.org has a list of headphones per price bracket and whether amplification is needed or not:
    http://www.head-fi.org/a/buying-guid...by-price-range

As mentioned in previous threads which I'm sure you saw. Audio comes first. Get yourself decent headphones, an amp if they need the power, then a shit ass mic. The Zalman clip on mics on amazon for $7-15 turn any set of headphones into pretty much the best headset you've ever owned.

Personally, with your needs, I'd go beyerdynamics.

Black Belt
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Adajer Vonte
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Asura
    WoW Realm
    Tichondrius

I'm not trying to go over $200(maybe a little). I'll look into those new/newly released Sennheisers though.

I'll plug my AT-M50S headphones; particularly given the price range in question.

Ironing this Thread

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Boyiee Star
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    WoW Realm
    Kel'Thuzad

Quote Originally Posted by Adajer View Post
    I'm not trying to go over $200(maybe a little). I'll look into those new/newly released Sennheisers though.
    Definitely check my link then.

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Xanthe Celaeno
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle

Relighting the signal! I noticed a pretty good deal via SlickDeals for the Audio Technica ATH-A900X headphones. Head-Fi.org has a very favorable review, but I'd love a second opinion. I've been looking around for a good deal on a good set of headphones that works well for gaming as a main focus (positional audio for [MMO]RPG and FPS) and general media playback as a secondary concern (HD video and FLAC audio via XBMC). I'll pick up a Zalman clip mic or continue using my Logitech USB mic.

I'm currently using the onboard audio of my ASUS Sabertooth Z77 motherboard, but I'm considering an X-Fi Titanium HD or a Xonar Essence STX for the better DAC (Head-Fi seems to lean in the direction of the Titanium for a gaming focus).

I'll welcome any opinions on the headphones or sound cards.

[edit]
    Another favorable comparison for the ATH-A900X vs ATH-A9X and AKG K550 on Head-Fi.

You think this is the real Dmitry?
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ifrit

If Boyiee gets back in here, I need help with a mic. I got the crappy $10 clip on mic to use with my HD555s but the room in my new house makes me sound like I'm in the bathroom apparently. Is there a good microphone that won't pick up too much ambient noise or clicking but isn't super expensive?

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Xanthe Celaeno
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle

Quote Originally Posted by Dmitry View Post
    If Boyiee gets back in here, I need help with a mic. I got the crappy $10 clip on mic to use with my HD555s but the room in my new house makes me sound like I'm in the bathroom apparently. Is there a good microphone that won't pick up too much ambient noise or clicking but isn't super expensive?
    I have this Logitech USB boom mic and it works very well. I'm not sure if it's sold anymore, however. I would check your input settings in whatever voice chat program you are using before changing microphones though. It could be a simple matter of your gain being too high, or another setting distorting your input. I doubt Boyiee (or the majority of Head-Fi) would have suggested the Zalman mic if it sported the bathroom effect by default.

Ironing this Thread

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Boyiee Star
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    WoW Realm
    Kel'Thuzad

Quote Originally Posted by Xanthe View Post
    Relighting the signal! I noticed a pretty good deal via SlickDeals for the Audio Technica ATH-A900X headphones. Head-Fi.org has a very favorable review, but I'd love a second opinion. I've been looking around for a good deal on a good set of headphones that works well for gaming as a main focus (positional audio for [MMO]RPG and FPS) and general media playback as a secondary concern (HD video and FLAC audio via XBMC). I'll pick up a Zalman clip mic or continue using my Logitech USB mic.

I'm currently using the onboard audio of my ASUS Sabertooth Z77 motherboard, but I'm considering an X-Fi Titanium HD or a Xonar Essence STX for the better DAC (Head-Fi seems to lean in the direction of the Titanium for a gaming focus).

I'll welcome any opinions on the headphones or sound cards.

[edit]
    Another favorable comparison for the ATH-A900X vs ATH-A9X and AKG K550 on Head-Fi.
    You can pretty much swear by Head-fi, and they are great phones. Lots of people get those if they don't want to pony up for overpriced senn's, and some people prefer them, especially for multipurpose. The more music you listen too, the more Senn's and other high end products start to stand out, I was actually considering selling my 650's since I haven't been playing much music lately - At least they hold their value, or are worth more now.

On board is fine, especially in newer mobos, but there will be some difference if you pick up something that will provide more power. I was always worried about getting X-fi or Xonar cause there are some reviews out there for faulty ones, so I went the usb headphone amp/dac route. Trust that website. It will tell you what phones to get, and what to pair it with.

I haven't used closed phones in forever, so I would put my faith in head-fi.

Mics. Well, I'm biased towards the zalman, I'm sorry to hear that you're having trouble with backround noise. Xanthe is right about playing around with some settings, you might get lucky and find something on google that will help you. I know that vent normalization is a must-have for me as far as incoming sound goes, so I'm sure there is something you can mess with to get better outbound. I've seen some mods out there for turning the zalman mic into a boom, and adding a piece of foam to it to keep it from picking up too much and for shielding. There's also the possibility, although unlikely, that you just got a bad mic. But with how many swear by it, I would consider that nearly impossible and try to change compressors in your settings or even modding it first.

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Xanthe Celaeno
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle

Thanks for the feedback, Boyiee! After reading plenty of reviews on the ATH-A900X I think that they will serve my purposes quite well. I'll hold off on an amp/dac and see how they perform as people on Head-Fi have indicated that no amplification is required. I'll just have to see if my onboard DAC will meet my needs.

Ironing this Thread

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Boyiee Star
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    WoW Realm
    Kel'Thuzad

If down the road you want to get something, you can always get a fiio dac as your first upgrade, then the fiio E9 amp as a second upgrade. Very common and safe route and will never really need to be replaced since they can even power HD650's. Lots of people do that, this way they don't put out too much money at one time.