+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Crafting Template Update     submit to reddit submit to twitter

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi
    Blog Entries

Crafting Template Update

There have been grumblings of this for a while now, but we're aiming to re-work crafting in general on BGwiki. I feel one of the first steps should be to transition all synthesis recipes on the wiki to one template so that people can simply copy and paste from individual item pages to the main synthesis page and vice versa. It will decrease the upkeep and make it easier to update as things come out. As such we need a way to display the information that looks good on both type of pages.

Here are current template examples for comparison:
    https://www.bg-wiki.com/bg/Leathercrafting
    vs.
    https://www.bg-wiki.com/bg/Lavalier

I crossed the two and make this their evolved forms:
    https://www.bg-wiki.com/bg/Byrth_/_S...g_Example_Lite
    (Pictures will show up on the real page.)

As far as the work required to implement, converting from the current main-page Recipe template to the future template can be done via a script (if the page is already templated, which some aren't) and none of the individual pages with recipes on them already will need to be edited at all. ...or so I'd like to believe. If you notice problems, please tell us about them by either posting in this thread or contacting us through some other means. I will be swapping the template in now and will switch the main crafting pages over as I have time for them.

PS. Barring ~60 characters that were added in the last few weeks , that template has existed for the last two months. I know some of you (Buffy, probably Funkzworkz) were waiting for this and I'm sorry for the delay. RL things were keeping me busy and the last issue was quite frustrating. I didn't want to go forward with a halfassed template that people couldn't get behind and couldn't figure out how to solve the final problem. Then along came a Yugl!

Known Issues:
    * Recipes with HQ results are not perfectly vertically aligned (exactly two pixels off) because of the way I implemented HQ/NQ results. Hopefully I can figure out some way to fix this in the future.

Sandworm Swallows
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Byrth, do you have any thoughts about how to include de-synth information on the page? I'm not sure of a great way to do this yet, Yugl offered some suggestions after I asked some questions and I never really found a great solution.

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi
    Blog Entries

On the main crafting page?

Honestly, I'd just move all desynth stuff to the page of the item being desynthed. Something like this:
    https://www.bg-wiki.com/bg/Mythic_Wand

Edit: Also, I think I fixed the offset problem I think.

Sandworm Swallows
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Yah, that's exactly what I mean. So....ignore me then.

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

yay! pm me if you need help with any pages

we should do away with the "other items needing ____ skill" area, since its rather pointless as long as every main crafting page has every recipe on it. desynths should be on their own page or as mentioned under individual item pages.

also, we need to remember to attach the new template to alchemy, goldsmithing, and smithing pages before converting those. the other pages are ready to be converted

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi
    Blog Entries

Looking at this again:
    Alchemy - This will be terrible to do
    Bonecraft - Easy
    Clothcraft - Done (but I'll need to update it if there are changes after this post)
    Cooking - Easy
    Goldsmithing - This will be terrible to do and it's incomplete
    Leathercraft - Easy
    Smithing - This will be terrible to do
    Woodworking - Done (but I'll need to update it if there are changes after this post)

I need to hammer out what the top half of the page should look like given that the bottom half is changing. There is obviously still stuff to be done, but here is an example from woodworking:
    https://www.bg-wiki.com/bg/Woodworking

1) How do you guys feel about losing vs. keeping the "Amateur (0~10)", "Novice (11~20)", etc. headers?
    - I personally feel they don't really add any information to the page and it's easy enough to scroll down and see what level you're at, but that's just me.
    2) I need to move the TOC around somewhere. I'll probably push it back to the right like it was before.

Otherwise the page is a duplicate of the previous page without our desynthesis recipe (I pushed them to the individual item pages) or the subcraft information (I just dropped it because it's already elsewhere. I could convert the above pages labeled "Easy" to this format at the rate of about half an hour per page, but if there are major formatting changes it would probably take me another half an hour to re-adapt junk so I'm going to wait until we've settled on a page format to do it.

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

the "amatuer" etc categories should stay so there is at least some page breaks and it isnt a huge chunk of text. With the new design it is now harder to see what level your currently looking at on the screen since before it was on the left, now its in the middle.With headers it will be easier, or maybe bold the levels?

TOC should stay on the right where it was before, i agree. Also, please figure out a way to incorporate that a signed item is required for expert rank test.

By saying done, you already have those pages converted and saved somewhere?

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi
    Blog Entries

Yeah, I just mean I've downloaded it, fixed the few glitchy pieces, and converted it.

Okay @ the formatting changes. I'll probably do that later tonight along with some other ones Yugl suggested.

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Update your woodworking example when you are done, then I will steal the code and start converting and adding the rest of the recipes for gold and smithing

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Your update looks good, I will start tonight on more pages.

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi
    Blog Entries

Okay. We're still sorting out the bottom bits and we shouldn't have to do the recipes (except for Smithing and Alchemy, but that doesn't have to be you). There's also a weird issue with the template in chrome where it shifts cells slightly. It's very lame and we can't really figure it out.

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

I see what you mean about the chrome cell issue. It has to do with the style itself, so if i start the conversion there won't be any difference to my work if it is fixed. Ill manually work on alchemy first.

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Slycer Ilerion
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

While it isn't a craft per se, the fishing page could use a lot of work if any expert fishermen feel so inclined.

Myr said I should dodge roll
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Fiendish One
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Fuuuuunk where you be? I need your clothcraft whore! Errr I mean mule!