+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 70 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 15 55 ... LastLast
    Old Merits
    BG Level

Given their population's apparent unfamiliarity with PhotoShop (based on their government's blatant and poor quality use), I think it'd be hilarious if we air-dropped all over the country pictures of their leader getting pounded in the ass by a donkey. But that's just me.

Fuck It, I'm Goin Deep Fan Club President
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ifrit

Quote Originally Posted by archibaldcrane View Post
    They don't have trans-pacific strike capability.

So it's not much of a threat.
    They do have capabilities (it seems) to strike several US military installations as well as a key ally (Japan) and another ally (SK)

I'll change yer fuckin rate you derivative piece of shit
    BG Level

We stared down the Soviet Union for 35 years and noone got nuked. I think we can handle the lesser Korea.

United States of Smash!
    BG Level

Not only that but things have changed a little bit since then in this country with regards to Nukes. Preemptively strike them? Maybe if the threat is high enough. Preemptively nuke them? Almost zero chance of the US using nukes specially preemptively. I could see the US throwing everything it has at a country to completely level it without needing to resort to Nukes.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ifrit

We stared down the Soviet Union for 35 years and noone got nuked. I think we can handle the lesser Korea.
    This is quite true

Quote Originally Posted by Cail View Post
    This is quite true

I'm not saying NK will actually nuke anything outside of a test, but comparing them to the USSR is probably a mistake. I would dare say there were calmer, more rational minds in that battlefield than what we have in NK, comparatively speaking.

After all, I doubt you'll see the equivalent of a NK Vasili Arkhipov or Stanislav Petrov emerging ( regardless of how much credit you give either of those men from stopping nuclear war, as well ).

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ifrit

Quote Originally Posted by Kryssan View Post
    I'm not saying NK will actually nuke anything outside of a test, but comparing them to the USSR is probably a mistake. I would dare say there were calmer, more rational minds in that battlefield than what we have in NK, comparatively speaking.

After all, I doubt you'll see the equivalent of a NK Vasili Arkhipov or Stanislav Petrov emerging ( regardless of how much credit you give either of those men from stopping nuclear war, as well ).
    This is all also true. NK leadership seems a lot more unstable, but I'm not well-versed in Cold War era USSR. Like its been pointed out though, if NK ever went the conventional route, Seoul and lots of SK would be fucked.

The Shitlord
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kharo Hadakkus
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    WoW Realm
    Rivendare

Russia has also always benefited from the greatest of attributes: They're fucking huge as hell, with a population to match.

Quote Originally Posted by Jer View Post
    Given their population's apparent unfamiliarity with PhotoShop (based on their government's blatant and poor quality use), I think it'd be hilarious if we air-dropped all over the country pictures of their leader getting pounded in the ass by a donkey. But that's just me.
    Given how brainwashed the populace is, they would probably all start fucking donkeys. They would give Mexico a run for it's money as the place to go for a Donkey Show

Relic Weapons
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Odin

Quote Originally Posted by Jer View Post
    this could very well avert an international nuclear incident, as well as net you a Nobel Peace Prize nomination

Black Guy from Predator.
    Uppity Negro
    Secret Admin

The Immortal Bill Duke

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Dotsudoku View Post
    Fair enough.

Suffice to say, disregard initial question. Wasn't aware that they posed so little actual threat
    I'm on Okinawa; fuck all of yall. One of their last launches literally flew over the air base i work on.

Black Guy from Predator.
    Uppity Negro
    Secret Admin

The Immortal Bill Duke

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Cail View Post
    They do have capabilities (it seems) to strike several US military installations as well as a key ally (Japan) and another ally (SK)
    ^

=(

Ridill
    BG Level

Mutually assured destruction presents a whole new perspective once you can actually participate in it and it's not just running off at the mouth.

2600klub
    I donated 5 bucks and all I got was this shitty title from Zet

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

I don't even think NK successfully launching a nuke and striking either SK, Japan, or something else with it would be enough for the US to retaliate with our own nuke. Do I think we would wipe them off the face of the planet? Yes I do, but we'd do it the traditional modern way: surgical strikes against anti-air sites, cruise missiles, unmanned drone strikes ... followed by manned bombing runs ... followed by cleanup using elite ground troops like SEALs as well as armored vehicles and traditional ground troops.

We've already made the mistake of using atomic bombs once (twice, really) and I don't think the modern world would put up with use of such force, even if it was a retaliation.

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Azull Abaddon
    FFXIV Server
    Cactuar
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

Our Navy is Fn huge and its a small nation surrounded by water on two sides. Even if using a nuke was a sane option there would be no need to.

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

Quote Originally Posted by Arkanna View Post
    I don't even think NK successfully launching a nuke and striking either SK, Japan, or something else with it would be enough for the US to retaliate with our own nuke. Do I think we would wipe them off the face of the planet? Yes I do, but we'd do it the traditional modern way: surgical strikes against anti-air sites, cruise missiles, unmanned drone strikes ... followed by manned bombing runs ... followed by cleanup using elite ground troops like SEALs as well as armored vehicles and traditional ground troops.

We've already made the mistake of using atomic bombs once (twice, really) and I don't think the modern world would put up with use of such force, even if it was a retaliation.
    Not that it's tremendously relevant, what with being corrected and recanting my original question, but I'm not even sure why my hands jumped straight to 'nukes'. In the back of my mind, I was thinking more in terms of drone strikes, etc.

The Shitlord
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kharo Hadakkus
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    WoW Realm
    Rivendare

There's a phrase for that, too.

Kill it with fire.

TIME OUT MOTHERFUCKER

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Given how much people are against drone strikes in the first place, you would be hard pressed to find anyone who would agree to that.

Basically, people don't want war right now. They are sick of it. Any attack against another nation would be frowned upon unless said nation attacked us first.

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

A point received

Do keep in mind how distorted my idea of NK's actual level threat was a page ago

Caesar Salad
    BG Level

So nk has nukes, but no way of delivering them. Whats to keep them from selling it to terrorists organizations, etc?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 70 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 15 55 ... LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

• Decrease Size
    Increase Size
  • Remove Text Formatting
  • Insert Link Insert Image Insert Video
  • Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text
  • Insert NSFW Tag
  • Insert Spoiler Tag