Six Souls
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Malorne
    Blog Entries

Japanese newspaper Asahi has echoed rumors today that PlayStation 4 will launch in 2013, and has estimated that the system will cost over 40,000 yen.

“Yesterday (on February 6), it became clear that Sony Computer Entertainment (SCE) will reveal it’s new game system, PlayStation 4, which will release within the year,” reads the paper. “This is the first new model since PS3 was released in 2006, and it’s expected that there will be a rush to meet year-end sales demands between Japan and America. The price is expected to exceed 40,000 yen.”

To iron out the yen to USD conversion: PlayStation 3′s cheapest model, the 20 gigabyte SKU, launched at $500 in North America. In Japan, it cost 49,980 yen, which converts to about $535. 40,000 yen converts to about $428. If we’re following PlayStation 3 launch pricing, it’s safe to say that by ‘greater than 40,000 yen,’ Asahi is saying ‘greater than $400′ for the overseas market.

PlayStation 4 is expected to be revealed on February 20 during PlayStation Meeting 2013 in New York City.
    http://gematsu.com/2013/02/asahi-ps4...over-40000-yen
    http://blog.esuteru.com/archives/6911065.html

Another PlayStation 4 report is in from Nikkei.

According to the Japanese outlet, the network function of PlayStation 4 will be expanded, including a new social feature where you can exchange opinions among your friends while playing games.

The system is said to utilize Gaikai cloud technology, which Sony purchased for $380 million in the summer of last year.

Echoing previous reports, the outlet claims the Sony developed “Cell” chip loaded onto the PlayStation 3 will not be included in PlayStation 4, and that it’ll arrive by the holidays.

PlayStation 4 is expected to be revealed during PlayStation Meeting 2013 in New York City on February 20. Its controller will supposedly have a touch pad.
    http://gematsu.com/2013/02/nikkei-ps...ocial-features
    http://www.nikkei.com/article/DGXNAS...00C13A2000000/

2600klub
    ǝƃuɐɥɔ ǝlʇıʇ ɥʇ01 ǝɥʇ ǝʞıl sı sıɥʇ ƃɯo ʎuunɟ ƃuıɥʇǝɯos ɥɐlq ɥɐlq ɥɐlq ǝɥ ǝǝǝǝǝǝǝlopuɐʌ puǝıɹɟ ʇsǝq s,poƃ ǝsɹoɥ ǝɥʇ sı ǝɥ ǝǝǝǝǝǝlopuɐʌ

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Vandole Horsegod
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    WoW Realm
    Windrunner

did hideo kojima sell them transfarring? lol

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Bryant Snow
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck
    WoW Realm
    Deathwing

Can't wait. It's about time this generation ended. Rumor-wise, I'm leaning towards the PS4 (with PS+ sweetening the deal of course). I doubt I'll purchase it @ launch tho, unless PS3 BC is supported...which is doubtful.

Old Odin
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Quote Originally Posted by Pro View Post
    Can't wait. It's about time this generation ended. Rumor-wise, I'm leaning towards the PS4 (with PS+ sweetening the deal of course). I doubt I'll purchase it @ launch tho, unless PS3 BC is supported...which is doubtful.
    If rumors are true, and the new XBox needs to be online and renders used-game market useless, microsoft is gonna shoot themselfs into the knee. I have a xbox 360 atm but got a Wii U lately. I am very hesitant on the new Xbox if this is true about used games, and if Sony follows the same pattern with their PS4, I will just stick with the Wii U.

BG Content
    BG Level
    Blog Entries

Just to provide a counterpoint, I know a lot of people still buy games from brick and mortar shops (or online) for the sake of having a physical disk, but with the way things are going now a days, they could be trying to push more of digital experience where everything you buy is tied to your account. You have the physical hard drive still to install the games on when you want to play them, but if you delete them, you can just redownload anything you've purchased from the cloud when you want to play it. Assuming they keep the PS3's easily replaceable HD option (I bumped my old 40 up to a 500 years ago), you could just put a giant HD in and just keep everything downloaded. I don't know how online purchases of new games are now, but if they're cheaper, it could explain the lack of used sales. At the very least, they don't have to deal with making the physical copies, so they should be cheaper, so those people who buy games only because they had a credit lying around could just pay less for it and get a digital copy.

Of course, this largely depends on networks being reliable enough to quickly download a massive game, which might be something for the next next gen, but I could see it being pushed out in this one. With full games already available for download, it could be possible that they'd emphasize it in this upcoming generation.

Can you spare some gil?
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Kurokikaze View Post
    Needs more RPGs bad. I'm tired of this generation's obsession with FPS games.

This^ Had the PS2 not had been an RPG power house I would probably not have owned one.

Fake Numbers
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus

PS3 had many amazing games this year, won't be buying new xbox but will buy PS4 if there are more RPGs.

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Six Souls
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Malorne
    Blog Entries

Asked his thoughts about the next PlayStation, Cage said while he “can’t really talk about the PlayStation 4,” he is “so impressed” by what’s currently possible on PlayStation 3 and “can’t wait” to see how PlayStation 4 fairs in comparison.

In light of recent rumors that the next Xbox won’t play used games, Cage said, “On one hand, I understand consumer’s position. Games are expensive. When they buy something they want to be able to trade it, most of the time to buy more games. I can understand that point.

“On the other side, I understand the point of the industry. Each time you buy a used game, this is money that doesn’t go into the pocket of the people that took the risk to create this, to finance it, to develop it. This is also unfair.”

He concluded, “So I don’t know what is the right answer. I don’t know if making this impossible [to play used games] is the answer. Maybe it is, maybe it’s not. Maybe it’s more about explaining and about telling people who really love games that if they buy used games, there will be a day where there won’t be any new games at all.”
    http://gematsu.com/2013/02/beyond-re...announced-soon

[IGN link removed]

Another Islam Thread
    BG Level

never bought a used game, but i trade in all the time to get new ones. If anything, no used games will just make me buy less new games. If the rumors are true, I say we all compromise and have like a $10 'reactivation key' for every next gen game (like an online pass, but the game doesn't run at all without it). Then games still have trade in values, and devs get a little something from every re-sale.

You kids and your console games.

Annihilation Banwave
    sprout sprout sprout
    2031 No.1 Draft Pick
    Pittsburgh Penguins

Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

I would be very hesitant to pick up either system if they killed off used games or had an exorbitant online pass system like EA does with their used games. If I have to choose which one to pick up right now, I'm going P4. So far I've only had 1 problem with my PS3 and that was with the HD going on it. Easily replaced. I've had 4 RRoD 360's. That alone would make me wait to purchase a 720.

Conejita's Jolly
    Chaparrita's Dulce
    Trigger warning: Fuck your feelings.

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by izembo View Post
    it's been pointed out numerous times by people in the industry, used games don't actually hurt them that much. you have to realize that used games are used to pay for new games as well. that's a lot of currency that wouldnt otherwise be going into the market to buy things. analysts put the actual hurt at about ~5%. that's not that big of a percent to risk pissing off a bunch of people.
    My jab was at gamestop, I never mentioned anything about eradicating used games. Wouldn't you agree it would be more beneficial for pubs./devs. to get the money gamestop gets from used games? Which brings back to my conclusion, it's easier said than done.

Caesar Salad
    BG Level

Used games already hurt the industry really bad. Online passes for new games will probably become the norm soon enough, and pre-order dlc will become even worse then it is now to entice people to buy new instead of used.

blax n gunz
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Jefe View Post
    My jab was at gamestop, I never mentioned anything about eradicating used games. Wouldn't you agree it would be more beneficial for pubs./devs. to get the money gamestop gets from used games? Which brings back to my conclusion, it's easier said than done.
    Gamestop also brings in dat preorder cash by the bucketloads, which is why publishers can't declare war on Gamestop. At least until they can replace Gamestop with a competitive ecosystem they can control.

Caesar Salad
    BG Level

Id argue preorders arent as impactful as used game sales to publishers. Theyd stand to gain more if they found a way to curb used game sales (or profit from online passes) versus better preorder incentives. I base that only on how vocal some developers are about their disdain for used game sales.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Gilgamesh

Honestly I have no clue what I'm going to do for next gen. If the rumors floating around are true, I'll def be staying away from the next Xbox. I never buy used games, but I sell almost every game I buy after I'm done with it. Plus, what if XBL goes down for a while? I can't play any games whatsoever until its back up? Yea, fuck that. If they do release it with the always on requirement, I honestly think MS will just get rid of it with an update down the road. If they don't, Sony is going to curb stomp them on console sales. Regardless, I won't be picking up any console for at least 3-4 years. Way too much stuff from this gen I have yet to play through.

A. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Gilgamesh

Quote Originally Posted by Skidz View Post
    never bought a used game, but i trade in all the time to get new ones. If anything, no used games will just make me buy less new games. If the rumors are true, I say we all compromise and have like a $10 'reactivation key' for every next gen game (like an online pass, but the game doesn't run at all without it). Then games still have trade in values, and devs get a little something from every re-sale.
    yeah, and then if you want to lend a game to your friend after you've finished it, they have to pay $10 for the privilege. absolutely ridiculous. of course, the same is (somewhat) true of existing games with online passes, which is one category of games i already refuse to buy. if they implement a global system like that, i'll probably just skip the next gen systems.

there's absolutely no reason why publishers should get a cut on resales. do car manufacturers get a cut on used private sales? do publishers get a cut when you lend a book to a friend or sell it? obviously, the answer is no. why on earth should videogames be any different?

D. Ring
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok
    WoW Realm
    Nazjatar

Quote Originally Posted by Moridam View Post
    yeah, and then if you want to lend a game to your friend after you've finished it, they have to pay $10 for the privilege. absolutely ridiculous. of course, the same is (somewhat) true of existing games with online passes, which is one category of games i already refuse to buy. if they implement a global system like that, i'll probably just skip the next gen systems.

there's absolutely no reason why publishers should get a cut on resales. do car manufacturers get a cut on used private sales? do publishers get a cut when you lend a book to a friend or sell it? obviously, the answer is no. why on earth should videogames be any different?
    this, exactly. even other digital entertainment media, dvd, lolcds, etc.

Online Dating DOES Work!!
    Sonic Ripoff of the Houe of Weave

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Hiryo Randgris
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion

i'll guess people think that more money for the software publishers mean more support for their favorite games and new ip, eventually becoming bigger, better games

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 236 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 53 ... LastLast