+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    D. Ring
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Siren

Black Mirror written by Charlier Brooker

I've been a huge fan of Charlier Brooker since his show Screenwipe, but I only recently learned he wrote a short series of TV shows for British television. It's called Black Mirror and there are 3 45 minute episodes each season, with 2 seasons made so far.

The show is a hybrid of a thriller with drama and absurd dark comedy elements coexisting. I knew that Charlie Brooker was a clever and funny guy, but this series proves that he is also an extremely talented writer with ideas. If you like shows like the Twilight Zone where odd ideas form the basis for exploring a subject you will probably like Black Mirror.

Edit: Also it seems Robert Downey Jr.'s company is going to make a movie out of the story from one of the episodes.
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/film/2013/...r-black-mirror

I thought there was a topic on BG about Black Mirror, but I can't remember or be bothered to look so whatever.

Great show, season 1 episode 2 is still probably my favourite one but the new season followed up nicely. Can't wait for more.

people should watch this

Hyperion Cross
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kai Bond
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

^ +1

Each episode prides itself on unconnected story lines and never the same actors.

The billboard plastered across London is extremely freaky in my opinion (for Season 2), see the 10 second video:

The cracked effect at 8 seconds was what was all over the city.

Season 1 Episode 2 is also my favourite. The ending is so ambigious it leaves a lot of thought.
    Spoiler: show
    Was the forest just a series of screens, or did powering those bikes everyday (generating something, assuming electricity) allowed Earth to revert back to its normal state? Not to mention how harshly it mirrors life in general.

Season 2 Episode 1 ... I didn't know she had such large boobs lol. She concealed them well in Captain America! Ending is fine enough on this one to not need to think about it much more.

Season 2 Episode 2 is slightly jarring. The ending is also once again ambigious.
    While it appears she experiences the ordeal every single day, and the calendar entries at the beginning and end seems to signify it only lasts so long. Whether it happens for her entire life or not (and I would imagine the show's staff would get pretty bored eventually) I'm unsure ...

Season 1 Episode 1 is a nice introductory episode to the series. It's normal enough to actually happen in real life, and from there the series gets more and more better.

I don't think the calender is how long it's going to last, rather it shows how long it's been going on for. I dunno if it'll happen her whole life since the idea is to punish her for voyeurism by having everyone watch her suffer, I think her stint in jail and/or execution could happen afterwards.

I liked the episode mostly because of how the change in perspective made everything different. It went from this crazy thriller where you felt sorry for the woman and wanted to see what would happen to her. Then it TWEESTED and you're left feeling a bit confused and shocked as you review the episode from the perspective of an outsider/observer. Very good shit.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Teisha Linne
    FFXIV Server
    Moogle
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Just watched the first two episodes. This stuff is crazy good D:

Hyperion Cross
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kai Bond
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

The final episode (Season 2 Episode 3) just finished airing.

Definitely not as good as any of the previous 5. The ending was a tiny bit jarring but there's no room for more thinking, it's obvious what happened. Unless I've missed something else, I don't think there's anything else to discuss except people are idiots/sheeps? lol

God, as much as I love British TV they really need to work out longer airing schedules. Then again, I'll take 3 episodes a year if they're fantastic.

Hyperion Cross
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kai Bond
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

Christmas Episode, 90 minutes... hopefully you US people can see the trailer haha:

Those nerds at Netflix can talk about their algorithm all they want, but clearly they're doing something right: Just as NPR America is finally discovering Black Mirror on Netflix, the UK's Channel 4 has delivered the trailer for its Christmas special, premiering on the 16th overseas and sure to arrive on our shores quite soon. Probably a good time to catch up on at least the brilliant first three-hour season (and save the lesser three-hour followup, if you need to).

In the 90-minute movie, Jon Hamm tells some cute guy three unnerving stories about life a few minutes from now, reflecting universal truths through our relationships with the TV, computer, and phone screens in which we already spend so much time regarding and contemplating ourselves.

D. Ring
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Siren

John Hamm on Black Mirror? I dig it.

GATTACA!
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level

Fuck yes.

Hyperion Cross
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kai Bond
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

Episode was aired last night. Should make its way around the interweb.

A few things/analysis:

The stories are nicely linked together. However I feel some of the reactions is unnecessary from the 2 women involved... maybe:

First Story: The service the guy provides seems to be illegal. So the guy's crime is a double one, 1 for not reporting the murder, and 1 for carrying out this in the first place. It's unfortunate that it's not expanded more, but it's easily possible given the google glasses scare. His wife blocks him but I'm not sure if it's over the grounds of the murder, or over the grounds that he was doing this stuff in the first place. In any case, this establishes his background to the other dude.

Second Story: A bit farfetched, but nonetheless quite interesting, creating a replica of yourself in a little pod that would carry out Siri-like tasks for you. Given how the replica retains 99% of the original barring the body, this helps to build rapport with the other dude as the main dude talks about how they break the replica down, which leads us nicely into the third story.

Third Story: This story was rather annoying. The dude seems like an alright guy. But then.... his girlfriend... oh god is so ........ asshole.

Ok fair enough she doesn't want the baby, and also the dude's reaction or behaviour was a tiny bit over the top. But both were under influence of alchol. Despite that, the outcome was that she blocks him, KEEPS the baby (after saying I'M NOT READY FOR IT, which also reminded me of that femisist thread where someone posted a video about WHAT DO WOMEN WANT?), and later on finds out the baby wasn't his.... a very very big dick move on her part. Her death was well deserved. The dude's a dumbass too though, it's already apparent that it's not his daughter, so why the hell knock the old dude out? Just move on and forget it. Though I suppose 4 years of wanting to see his daugther, pent up agony, despair, confusion and seeking the truth would do that to a human only to find that it wasn't his

A funny remark I made was when the kid walked out the door to search for help.... and we found her dead outside next to the tree, I burst out laughing with my sister. "She didn't get very far..." hahahaha. Ok fair enough there's snow, and it was snowing, but it didn't look like it was a blizzard. Only thing I can think of at this point was that she got lost and tried to come back.

edit: apparently on US Netflix a lot of people are calling the show disgusting (based on the first episode) and completely miss the point lol. I don't have netflix so I cannot check, but apparently a lot of lulz can be found on there. Here's 1:

I have been a sci-fi fan for many years and was excited to find out about this series. Then I watched the first episode and was completely disappointed. This could have been done so well, but instead it was disgusting and base. I had to skip parts of it. I won't watch other episodes to see if they are any better because I don't want to open myself up to such awfulness again.
    Ummm...let's see. Disgusting? Yes. Boring? Yes. Waste of time? Yes. It claims to be "scary". Not. "Suspenseful". Not in the least. "Dark". Possibly. "Ominous". No. Note to Charlie Brooker (creator): Do yourself and all of us...find a new drug of choice.
    The first episode was disgusting as to subject matter. I read the description of the second episode, hoping that the first episode was just an unfortunate anomaly, but the second episode's subject matter appeared to be disgusting as well. I barely made it through the first episode. I hope this isn't a trend in present British television. I recommend not wasting your time on this show.

The Fucking Voice of Actually
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Cantih Hacos
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by The Stig View Post
    That review, man. The person may as well walk out holding a sign written "I AM STUPID".

As for the story
    Yeah, her, her father, and the other guy are in the wrong. Not worthy of death though. Just, somebody should have fucking told him.

GATTACA!
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by The Stig View Post
    Episode was aired last night. Should make its way around the interweb.

A few things/analysis:

The stories are nicely linked together. However I feel some of the reactions is unnecessary from the 2 women involved... maybe:

First Story: The service the guy provides seems to be illegal. So the guy's crime is a double one, 1 for not reporting the murder, and 1 for carrying out this in the first place. It's unfortunate that it's not expanded more, but it's easily possible given the google glasses scare. His wife blocks him but I'm not sure if it's over the grounds of the murder, or over the grounds that he was doing this stuff in the first place. In any case, this establishes his background to the other dude.

Second Story: A bit farfetched, but nonetheless quite interesting, creating a replica of yourself in a little pod that would carry out Siri-like tasks for you. Given how the replica retains 99% of the original barring the body, this helps to build rapport with the other dude as the main dude talks about how they break the replica down, which leads us nicely into the third story.

Third Story: This story was rather annoying. The dude seems like an alright guy. But then.... his girlfriend... oh god is so ........ asshole.

Ok fair enough she doesn't want the baby, and also the dude's reaction or behaviour was a tiny bit over the top. But both were under influence of alchol. Despite that, the outcome was that she blocks him, KEEPS the baby (after saying I'M NOT READY FOR IT, which also reminded me of that femisist thread where someone posted a video about WHAT DO WOMEN WANT?), and later on finds out the baby wasn't his.... a very very big dick move on her part. Her death was well deserved. The dude's a dumbass too though, it's already apparent that it's not his daughter, so why the hell knock the old dude out? Just move on and forget it. Though I suppose 4 years of wanting to see his daugther, pent up agony, despair, confusion and seeking the truth would do that to a human only to find that it wasn't his

A funny remark I made was when the kid walked out the door to search for help.... and we found her dead outside next to the tree, I burst out laughing with my sister. "She didn't get very far..." hahahaha. Ok fair enough there's snow, and it was snowing, but it didn't look like it was a blizzard. Only thing I can think of at this point was that she got lost and tried to come back.

Loved the new episode, tons of layers/commentaries to it.
    Ok fair enough she doesn't want the baby, and also the dude's reaction or behaviour was a tiny bit over the top. But both were under influence of alchol.
    He wasn't being very understanding of his wife then flew off the handle, that was the first establishment of his serious anger issues. Screaming at her, shaming her for murdering a child, and breaking things is more than slightly over the top. Blocking him permanently isn't a just punishment, obviously, which I felt was the point. It would be unhealthy and too easy if you could just turn someone off and not have to face your issues.

Despite that, the outcome was that she blocks him, KEEPS the baby (after saying I'M NOT READY FOR IT, which also reminded me of that femisist thread where someone posted a video about WHAT DO WOMEN WANT?), and later on finds out the baby wasn't his.... a very very big dick move on her part.
    My take is that she knew the baby wasn't his. Perhaps she was torn over getting rid of the baby and keeping their relationship? Obviously if an Asian baby pops out the relationship is over. Once she blocks him for the night, her easiest solution is to keep him blocked and disappear, rather than face the issue.

Her death was well deserved. The dude's a dumbass too though, it's already apparent that it's not his daughter, so why the hell knock the old dude out? Just move on and forget it. Though I suppose 4 years of wanting to see his daugther, pent up agony, despair, confusion and seeking the truth would do that to a human only to find that it wasn't his
    What she did was very wrong but calling her death deserved is ridiculous. As I mentioned above, guy has been unraveling for a while and he had anger issues before his life fell apart. Having his 4 year fantasy illusion of a daughter dashed in 1 second with an enormous betrayal was understandably enough to break him.

It was snowing hard and we don't know how long she was in the house alone without food/water.

What's crazy is we haven't even touched on the morality issues with the "cookie" or the pick up artist. Really deep episode.

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Six Souls
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Malorne
    Blog Entries

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Teisha Linne
    FFXIV Server
    Moogle
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

No thanks, they will screw it up anyway.

D. Ring
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Siren

The combined company’s slate of shows includes “The Biggest Loser,” “Big Brother,” “American Idol,” “MasterChef” and “Hell on Wheels.”

Hahahahahahaha!

No seriously, this is funny shit.

E. Body
    BG Level

Well Hell on Wheels is fucking fantastic.....

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Six Souls
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Malorne
    Blog Entries