>The Implying
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Jeryhn Astracrown
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus

So, uh, do the Talekeepers not believe in Altana or something? I don't recall that being a thing in any of the storylines I've gone through...

Nidhogg
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Seraphus Highwynn
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Diabolos

Kind of reminds me more of Port Bastok than anything. Lets hope the rest of the expansion's zones look and feel better.

Also I fucking hope they release another Job Adjustment Manifesto so we can see where and how they're going to adjust jobs since the 99 cap. Ever since the cap was raised to 99, most jobs aren't any stronger or better than they were at 90 except for a few. I was hoping 90-99 would have many new JAs,spells and traits for almost every job but most jobs got 0-1 new JA's and a couple upgrades to traits(mostly 91-95, but 96-99 only a few jobs got a trait upgrade that wasn't an extra tier of a Resist-Status) and BLM and WHM got ultimate spells but RDM's Gravity II was a joke. The final level cap should have introduced a job's ultimate ability/spell but instead most jobs got nothing and it feels very underwhelming. I guess the SP2 was supposed to be each job's level 99 toy but those are lackluster too even after the revisions. Since they're increasing the cap for the max# of JAs for each job, I'm hoping for 3-4 new JAs for every job, especially ones that severely need more self-buffing or stance-like JAs akin to Hasso/Afflatus like RDM, DRG, PUP, BLU,

Fake Numbers
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Quote Originally Posted by Jeryhn View Post
    So, uh, do the Talekeepers not believe in Altana or something? I don't recall that being a thing in any of the storylines I've gone through...
    From how I figure it, while all Children of Altana know she exists, etc, the various religions in Vana'diel differ in where they place her importance in the scheme of things and in everyday existence. The San d'Orian church makes her the central figure along with the whole opening the Gate of the Gods to be reunited with her. Talekeeper Galka put more emphasis in their lineage and cultural memories, deriving individual purpose and ethics from the community's past rather from Altana as a person.

It does beg the question whether there is only one Talekeeper that keeps the last 2 or 3 centuries' worth of memories of all the world's Galka, or if there's a TK for every major division of Galka in the world. (Things must have been a lot simpler for the games' writers back when "the Middle Lands" were actually the entire world.)

Old Merits
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

This expansion has made me a mini-minority.

Every day I'm wafflin'
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

Hildebert Legal and judiciary Order of Weatherspoon
    This made me chuckle. Wetherspoon's is one of the biggest pub chains in the UK with a reputation for consistent mediocrity. They pop up everywhere, including Adoulin apparently.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Teisha Linne
    FFXIV Server
    Moogle
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Almost

They're just like us
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Weatherspoon
    Going to laff if there's a Rune Fencer sword that looks like a spoon.

Quote Originally Posted by Slycer View Post
    Yeah the architecture is very European/Mediterranean style. Far as I can tell, the Chinese/Southeast Asian stuff seems to revolve completely around GEO... makes me wonder if there will be something like a "Chinatown" part of Adoulin where the crazy GEO kids hang.
    That would be a sensible way to work it in. I've thought for a while now how weird it is they apparently wanted it to be sort of a colonization theme with a more Western design motif (given Elvaans and Rune Fencers) and out of nowhere they have a really Chinese sort of look for the Geomancers. I would think they would've reserved such design motifs for some kind of Far East Expansion (Always imagined that place to have different countries, each with a different Asian inspiration at war with each other). My own way of explaining it would've been to have the Geomancers be the remnants of Far Eastern pioneers that traveled alongside the San d'Oria ones from hundreds of years ago.

I also thought it was weird that in the past, the Western armor we've seen are really tribal/Native American sort of designs (Bison), and then we had so I thought we would've gotten an AF with that sort of design philosophy, but I suppose not.

Also kinda weird that Humes are the big race here since I thought Adoulin's big connection in the past was San d'Oria.

They've usually been pretty consistent with small details like that though, so I think they'll handle it fine.

Nidhogg
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Seraphus Highwynn
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Diabolos

There should be a subsection of Dragoons in Adoulin as well since Achtelle says in WoTG:

Are you ... a dragoon!? That is a most welcome relief. I had come to ascertain for myself whether or not there are still those to carry on the ways of our kind."
    "I go by the name Achtelle. I hail from Adoulin Isle. Word has reached there that the dragoons and their wyverns have long since disappeared from these eastern lands. Tell me, is it true?"
    Maybe even a quest to boost Wyverns since she says this in battle to her pet Wyvern:
    "Come now, Bravo! It's high time we taught these beasts what a wyvern is truly capable of!"

Theory Fighter
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Frejan Schultz
    FFXIV Server
    Ragnarok
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

That would be a really nice detail. The Dragoon mentioning, not the Wyvern boosting, we all know that's not going to happen.

Flowery Twats
    BG Level

Let wyvern receive same buffs as drg (through empathy, make 5/5 merits copies pretty much all buffs for example) and drg's whole wyvern problem is fixed. There's still the low-attack problem, though.

Black Belt
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

I get the feeling it's based off of England, what with the dark, gray and depressing city (...), but also the names (Weatherspoon, Haverton, Janniston, ...). The table kind of remidns me of the Knights of the Round Table, where only 13 of them had important roles and actually ruled.

It does seem like it has a Rotunda (Pantheon perhaps?) in the bottom-right picture.

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Slycer Ilerion
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

Figured I'd post this here as well (also posted on findings thread). Tarus afraid of the dark, lawl.

Mocchi: Reponses about Adoulin

Guy's saying that although Tarutaru isolated themselves in the Sarutabaruta area for protection during the wartime, they did spread out in later eras so he's wondering why most of the Tarutaru population is still concentrated in Windurst, and especially why there are more Galka there than Tarutaru. Also mentions surprise that there are two Tarutaru out of the 12 council members if they are such a small percentage of the population.
    As you say, the number of Tarutarus that appear outside the Sarutabaruta region is low. They are a timid race, and in the depths of dungeons they are actually afraid of the dark. Also, since they are not very strong, if they go outside their nation, they become easy targets for hostile foreign enemies.

*Note that there are some super-human Tarutaru with special abilities that are not subject to these limitations.

Therefore, we have included "Tarutaru" in the "other" section of the population. I am sorry to those of you who like Tarutarus.

That being said, you will find the usual handful of Tarutaru NPCs in the city as well as some unique individual Tarutarus, so I don't think you'll feel that it's much different than anywhere else when walking around town.

____

Guy doesn't really understand how the all of the houses could establish a line of descendants considering how Galkas don't exactly have heredity.
    The names of the twelve orders of Adoulin are not hereditary.

When the alliance was first formed, each of the distinguished families had a small part of the land. Later, each order scouted from among those residing in that land to find the best representative for the council.

Now, the family names are just the honorary titles of the orders. Gratzigg has served as the peacekeepers' coalition maester because he has been so influential.

It should be noted that the seat of royalty of the original Adoulin bloodline has been passed down, and Ygnas is the legitimate heir of August.

____

Random excited guy saying that he liked the story, asking for more info, and saying that he's very excited about Adoulin being only a month away.
    For more information, including information about the various facilities in Adoulin, we really just want you to take a look and explore while walking around down. Some facilities will become important as the scenario progresses...

Once the gates to Adoulin have been opened, a new history will be carved and you'll all be a part of it. We're greatly looking forward to it!

[[There was one subsequent post saying there was some wrong info about Ikhi Askamot in the original story on the forum. Maybe it was only incorrect in JP, not sure.]]

Quote Originally Posted by notorious bum View Post
    It's definitely an eyesore compared to the rest of the xpack. Feels like a huge step backwards in terms of a big city hub. Like some pre-dated alpha bastard child of Jeuno and Sandoria lol
    Considering the age and the significant San d'Orian population, that actually makes sense.

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

Quote Originally Posted by Uzor View Post
    I get the feeling it's based off of England, what with the dark, gray and depressing city (...), but also the names (Weatherspoon, Haverton, Janniston, ...). The table kind of remidns me of the Knights of the Round Table, where only 13 of them had important roles and actually ruled.
    Dreary Britishness makes a lot of sense considering the colonialism/Manifest Destiny theme. And it fits with the responses Matsui gave, where the orders are more like elected Lords than landholders (my knowledge of England's constitutional monarchy is pretty shit so feel free to shoot that comparison down).

I really like the design of the city. It's a cool contrast to the palette of the jungle outside the city walls. The bland city is the intrusive culture of the East overtaking, and eventually segregating itself, from the lush, vibrant colors of the new world. And it makes sense that Humes would be well represented, since the lore says that Hume is the race of industry and opportunity. Bastok was originally thought to be uninhabitable desert until Humes noticed all the ore in the mountains and said "Let's make this work." New lands means opportunity to make some gil. Ain't no Hume businessman gunna pass that opportunity up.

Yoshi P
    BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Arthas

Quote Originally Posted by noodles355 View Post
    Let wyvern receive same buffs as drg (through empathy, make 5/5 merits copies pretty much all buffs for example) and drg's whole wyvern problem is fixed. There's still the low-attack problem, though.
    Other problem is wyvern breaths actually lower their dps.

Flowery Twats
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by fantasticdan View Post
    Other problem is wyvern breaths actually lower their dps.
    Only because breath damage is resisted to shit on anything important, not sure I can see them changing that tho, they would prob argue they have to change breath end completely and that would overpower blu (the solution to that of increasing recast time and mp probably seems crazy to them)

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Quote Originally Posted by noodles355 View Post
    Only because breath damage is resisted to shit on anything important, not sure I can see them changing that tho, they would prob argue they have to change breath end completely and that would overpower blu (the solution to that of increasing recast time and mp probably seems crazy to them)
    Well they could just make it so every nm in the game doesn't have like 80% bdt... that wouldn't really overpower anyone

Flowery Twats
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by dasva View Post
    Well they could just make it so every nm in the game doesn't have like 80% bdt... that wouldn't really overpower anyone
    "What? Blu can do 1k breath damage attacks on a mob where an unbuffed DD wont be able to hit 1k WSs? Nope, overpowered."

Actually though, in the Age of Matsui, it would be a possibility, maybe we'll see a breath damage change in the future... Maybe people should start asking o.o

Old Merits
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TpTsd04W9iM

so uh, heres a livestream of what appears to be adoulin, and a GM (Mocchi) playing as rune fencer

dont know if this is where it should go, or if im late to the party. but yeah.

edit: includes a rather phallic sword, and some neat /ja's