+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 30 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast
    Upgraded to GenbuPT-3.5
    BG Level

The Sacred City of Adoulin

HAY GUYZ ITS GENBU UPDATE!!!111

The Sacred City of Adoulin

The Sacred City of Adoulin (02/20/2013)

Adoulin is a storied land, with a history intriguing enough to rival those of? the Middle Lands and Aht Urhgan.

Under what circumstances did Sacred City of Adoulin come to be? What is life like in this mysterious nation?
    http://www.playonline.com/pcd/topics...905/9905_0.jpg

History
    Adoulin is the name given not just to the city on the main island, but to the outlying island chain as well.

About 200 years ago, the age of pioneering that dominated the political scene—an age referred to by historians as "the great expedition"—drew to a close.

The plans for colonizing Ulbuka were postponed indefinitely, and a large wall known as Jorius Yett was constructed between Eastern Ulbuka and Adoulin proper—a task which took many years and thousands of workers to accomplish. This massive structure enclosed what little was left of habitable land in Adoulin and its dwindled population.

The great expedition came to an end after hundreds of years. Yet the wounds left by this retreat were severe, as merchants, nobility, and even common folk sunk nearly all their resources into expanding Adoulin's domain within Ulbuka. The resulting economic collapse closed the curtain on what would have been a shining future for the budding nation.

The ruling house of Adoulin and the eleven noble orders, sensing the need for change if Adoulin was to survive, elected to dissolve the long-standing imperial system, rearranging the government into what was to become known as the Sacred City of Adoulin.

The first goals the empire set its sights on were not to simply recover from its martial decay, but also to contain the surrounding island nations. These considerations bore fruit, as Adoulin developed into a city-state with well-funded mercantile trade.

In recent years, Ygnas S. Adoulin, leader of the Order of Adoulin, declared that the colonization project was to be restarted after countless centuries. This move was not without political consequences, however, and the alliance between the twelve orders has started to fracture into factions supporting and opposing the project.
    http://www.playonline.com/pcd/topics...905/9905_3.jpg

Illustration: Mitsuhiro Arita
    Adoulin's Establishment
    In ancient times, the Isle of Adoulin and other surrounding islands were ruled by a fierce crocodile-like demihumans race known as the Velkk. The great hero August, a man called "the founder king" and whose legacy is felt in Adoulin to this day, drove them out from Adoulin, with what little forces they had remaining seeking refuge in the far western part of Eastern Ulbuka. August constructed a castle on the land the Velkk once held, and a city sprung up in the surrounding area. This was the origin of the Adoulinian Empire. In recognition of their great service to the first king, eleven of August's most trusted soldiers were granted land and status, and formed the other eleven orders of Adoulin that exist to this day.

Politics and Government
    Adoulin is governed by a ruling council that makes decisions via consensus. The grand chancellor is Ygnas S. Adoulin, but as the council has the final say over all matters both domestic and international, the position is merely an honorary title.

Grand Chancellor
    Ygnas S. Adoulin Alliance leader/foreign affairs Order of Adoulin In favor Minister of Finance
    Melvien de Malecroix Treasury and revenue Order of Woltaris In favor Minister of Justice
    Hildebert Legal and judiciary Order of Weatherspoon Opposed Minister of Public Affairs
    Svenja Public health and well being Order of Janniston Opposed Minister of Education
    Ikhi Askamot History and Academia Order of Renaye Opposed Minister of Commerce
    Chero-Machero Commerce and Economy Order of Gorney In favor Scouts' Coalition Maester
    Margret Survey and Research Order fo Haverton In favor Pioneers' Coalition Maester
    Lhe Lhangavo Pioneering and agriculture Order of Karieyh In favor Peacekeepers' Coalition Maester
    Gratzigg Security and defense Order of Vocane Opposed Mummers' Coalition Maester
    Flaviria Entertainment and intelligence Order of Thurandaut In favor Couriers' Coalition Maester
    Reginald Transport and inspection Order of Shneddick In favor Inventors' Coalition Maester
    Amchuchu Industry and technology Order of Orvail In favor Population
    Humes: 35%
    Mithra: 25%
    Elvaan: 15%
    San d'Orian Elvaans: 10%
    Ouschrahd Galka: 10%
    Other: 5%

Language
    Common

Major Religions
    Eimert Church (believers in Altana)
    Church of San d'Oria (believers in Altana)
    Island Animitism
    Taleekeeperism
    Tavnazian (believers in Altana)

Major Landmarks
    Castle Adoulin
    Exorcists' Priory
    The Silver Spoon (members-only auction house)
    Celennia Wexworth Memorial Library
    Fontis Xanira
    Jorius Yett
    Platea Triumphus
    Statue of the Goddess
    Mog Gardens
    http://www.playonline.com/pcd/topics...05/9905_24.jpg

Bitchfist
    The horn knows no mercy; only wrath

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Indalecia Salavachere
    FFXIV Server
    Midgardsormr
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Talekeeperism

Galkas really need to step up their naming rubric

Remit One (1) Custom Title
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Qeomash Pandemonium
    FFXIV Server
    Cactuar
    FFXI Server
    Asura

I wondered if Tavnazia would get any mention, considering they were in close proximity to each other.

Theory Fighter
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Frejan Schultz
    FFXIV Server
    Ragnarok
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

I'm not too happy with the aspect of the city, it looks too grey, very anodine... It lacks personality, in my opinion. But maybe it's the lack of people and the long distance images.

PUP Power!
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

I wonder what Ouschrahd Galkas are...

Also, what real life country have they based this city on? the naming system seems familiar.

It's definitely an eyesore compared to the rest of the xpack. Feels like a huge step backwards in terms of a big city hub. Like some pre-dated alpha bastard child of Jeuno and Sandoria lol

New Odin
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sparthia Abysseant
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

Kinda funny Tarutaru aren't even a relevant demographic in Adoulin.

I get a Chinese/Southeast Asian vibe from some of the information released but they are still sticking with the European Medieval themes structure and religion wise.

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Slycer Ilerion
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

Quote Originally Posted by ronin sparthos View Post

I get a Chinese/Southeast Asian vibe from some of the information released but they are still sticking with the European Medieval themes structure and religion wise.
    Yeah the architecture is very European/Mediterranean style. Far as I can tell, the Chinese/Southeast Asian stuff seems to revolve completely around GEO... makes me wonder if there will be something like a "Chinatown" part of Adoulin where the crazy GEO kids hang.

New Odin
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sparthia Abysseant
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

Geomancers seem to me like a group of people that are more nomadic than anything else, choosing to live off the land/in the frontier rather than settling in town or being incorporated into the towns defenses like say.. a Rune Fencer would.

I await if they top the BLU job storyline.

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

I'm thinking the Rune Fencers are going to be hanging out in the Exorcists' Priory. I'd been really hoping to see more about the exorcists in Adoulin so I'm hoping that gets worked into one of the job quest storylines.

What's up with Elvaans and Sandy Elves getting split into two groups? Are they like the immigrants that live in ghettos and refuse to integrate?

New Odin
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sparthia Abysseant
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

Makes sense since they don't share the same religion, have cultural differences and have been separated for 200 years. It's much like the Humes in Aht Urhgan weren't anything like the people in Bastok.

To the San'd Orians, the people of Adoulin are residents of a floundering nation and to the people of Adoulin the San'dOrians are foreigners.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Quote Originally Posted by ronin sparthos View Post
    Makes me a sad taru

The Syrup To Waffles's Waffle
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Cair Bear
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

What else would really have to be specified in other aside from Tarutaru? :s Seems silly to word it like that.

D. Ring
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Siren

Maybe some other kind of thing like the Qiqirn merchants of AU

Bagel
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

It looks like Jeuno >.>

Custom Title
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Toth View Post
    I wonder what Ouschrahd Galkas are...

Also, what real life country have they based this city on? the naming system seems familiar.
    its a very curious thing that they'd tell us all 12 order names and who its leader are and what they're tasked with..

i've no idea what real life country this is based on, but the whole 12 orders thing does somewhat remind me of the contrades of Siena.

The Syrup To Waffles's Waffle
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Cair Bear
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

Quote Originally Posted by Teryu View Post
    It looks like Jeuno >.>
    No it doesn't.

New Odin
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sparthia Abysseant
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

Quote Originally Posted by Teryu View Post
    It looks like Jeuno >.>
    Vaguely like Sandy at best. It has a much more open feel than the rail setup of Jeuno.

YOU BLACK, MIDNIGHT, EVIL MOTHERFUCKERS!!! BLACK MAGIC, DARKNESS!!! YOU RAW, DARKNESS!!! YOU, FUCKING, DELIRIOUS MOTHERFUCKER!
    You were cold as ice.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sho Ryuuken
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

Quote Originally Posted by notorious bum View Post
    It's definitely an eyesore compared to the rest of the xpack. Feels like a huge step backwards in terms of a big city hub. Like some pre-dated alpha bastard child of Jeuno and Sandoria lol
    This is funny, because that's almost exactly how they modeled the city (using artifacts from Sandoria and Jeuno).

Yoshi P
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Why does the guy behind the table looks like Gestapo Officer?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 30 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast