Item Search

BG-Wiki Search
+ Reply to Thread
    Ridill
    BG Level

Hey, I wrote an FFXI Adaption. Maybe it sucks, Maybe not.

So I've enjoyed coming up with stories for a long time, but normally just made them up in my head until I forgot about them. Only recently have I started seriously writing. I'm at the point now where I now feel comfortable enough to start seriously working on an original book. (about 30k words into so far).

But getting to that point took a lot of writing and for practice, one of the things I decided to write up for fun and practice was an adaption of FF11. Instead of an "insert name here" hero who just fights things and appears in cutscenes while all the important things happen on their own, I put an actual protagonist into the story.

So I wrote up a short 10k word story that became the prologue to what would become the FF11 story, taking place 3 years before where the player starts off in the game. (Though plenty of liberties have been taken to certain events and characters to make certain story elements work and make things overall more interesting.)

I've been just sitting on this story for quite a few months and figured that some people may find some sort of entertainment from it, so I threw it up on a blog to post on here.

So if you want to check it out, here's a link.

http://burnscorp.blogspot.com/2013/0...ure-calls.html

I didn't really place the chapters into a "chapter format", I just chose the best spot I could to separate it so it wasn't just 1 really long blog post.
    I also only edited this myself a couple of times, so I'm sure there will be a few spelling errors and the such.

I've written up a summary of the storyline from the beginning of the base game up through CoP, but didn't plan on making an actual story out of it, but if enough people actually read this prologue and want more, I could see myself writing more of it.

And if it sucks, let me know why. This story is a few months old, so I've hopefully already came out of some bad habits, but if I haven't well, letting me know would help.

Also; There is no level system or the such in the story, so don't think to deep about it.

Black Mage
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Chrian Kywind
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Diabolos

I enjoy'd it, it's like reading an animorphs or redwall book.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Orinthia Warsong
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Just writing and keeping a critical eye on your style can make you improve over time quite a lot. I know my own writing improved drastically when I wrote 100k+ words of fiction (writing in general, even academic and professional-styled with reports, code comments, etc), and I'm honestly a bit disgusted at my early writings at this point. Though I stopped due to some writer's block and not really wanting to see my characters suffer (was a certain part in that old fic I was apprehensive to actually write even though I had it planned with a few summaries a really long time before hand).

That's pretty much the start of it. Write summaries of what you think you want to happen down the road. Like a 5k word summary of the whole thing, then a 10k, then 20k if you think your writing will be long. Flesh things out slowly and then embellish them. Maybe "executive" summaries of the events you want to take place, etc. You'll probably find where you want to start/end chapters as well this way, or look into other character actions. I had several viewpoints, past and present, in parallel with mine though it probably wasn't that great in the end as I think one of them eclipsed my "main" character in interest. At least for me I enjoyed writing his perspective much more than my original main. I didn't plan that lol, shows how dull a main character I had.

Could go as far as making D&D style personalities for your characters so they they can be consistent in their actions. Summaries of them, likes/dislikes, motivations, etc. I know I had that problem with my main due to it starting almost like a DQ-protag that was lead everywhere, but others later on were much different.

Just some things to keep yourself interested in it.

add: I hadn't read yours yet in making this comment.

Ridill
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Chrian View Post
    I enjoy'd it, it's like reading an animorphs or redwall book.
    All three chapters? That's some crazy fast reading >.>

S N K
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Quote Originally Posted by Zealot View Post
    Welcome to the fold, brother.

http://thoseguysffxi.blogspot.com/
    You suck for not fucking showing me this.