Six Souls
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Malorne
    Blog Entries

The next Xbox, set to be unveiled during a May 21 event on Microsoft's Redmond-based Xbox campus, will bring with it not just new hardware, but a slew of tweaks to the social aspects of Microsoft's console.

Sources tell Polygon that the current version of the next-gen console includes a next-gen approach to video sharing, anti-piracy protection, social networking and a massive expansion of the Xbox 360's popular achievement system.

Like the recently announced PlayStation 4, the still-unnamed next Xbox will include the ability to capture video highlights of gameplay and then share them through networks like Facebook and Ustream.

Microsoft is also trying to come up with a system for video sharing though all of the details are still being locked down. According to our sources, currently the next Xbox will capture your gameplay as if it were a DVR, allowing you to go back and select highlights. That function can be turned on or off, or a player can set up the console to automatically capture a recording when certain in-game events occur, like a headshot or collecting a specific achievement. Auto capturing those "magic moments" will be a feature only available on next-gen games.

Those videos can then be uploaded directly from the console to social sites, like YouTube, for sharing.

Sources tell Polygon that the next Xbox will indeed have some form of an always-on requirement. That will be both to support the suite of non-gaming entertainment applications that will be launched alongside the console, like streaming video services, but also as a possible anti-piracy tool. Currently, the console will support digital rights management and anti-piracy checks using an internet connection. Under Microsoft's current guidelines, which may still be changed, the decision of whether a game will require an internet connection to work and if that is a one-time authentication or a constant connection, will be left up to individual publishers.

The fact that offline gameplay, always online and one-time checks are supported, means that in the future, publishers will have much greater control over copyright protection for their games.

Another thing developers and publishers will have more control over with next-gen Xbox games is the way achievements are used and updated.

With the next Xbox, developers and publishers will be able to add more achievements to a game after launch, without the need to add DLC. This is designed specifically to allow developers to tweak player behavior, perhaps urging players to check out specific areas of a game or get past a difficult spot. Next-gen achievements can also be tied to broader events, like a weekend challenge or a communal goal, like contributing a set number of kills to the bigger goal of 10,000 kills over one weekend. Companies can also create cross-title achievements, like awarding points for finishing the first chapter in two different and unrelated games published by the same company. Some of these bigger, cross-title, communal achievements will be a requirement for all titles.

Microsoft is playing around with cross-platform achievements as well. Ideally, these achievements could be earned by playing a game on the next-gen system and then using a companion app, a website or maybe even by playing a specific game, like a prequel to a next-gen title, on the Xbox 360.

Microsoft is also looking to adjust the way Xbox Live functions to more closely align it with the way other social networks, like Twitter or Facebook, work. The next-generation Live won't have a cap on the number of friends a person can have. The way players add friends will also change. Now instead of it being a two-way friendship only, people can choose to follow one another, sort of like Twitter.
    http://www.polygon.com/2013/4/26/426...ievements-live

If it's indeed opt-in on game by game basis, I guess I can stomach it.

Science Fiction Super Fan
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus

sounds ok so far, grain of salt etc. 21st should be interesting.

okay guy I guess
    BG Level

feel sorry for OCD achievement whores if they can continually add more and have time-specific achieves

Ze NinjaSYXX
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Nitsuki Syxx
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Quote Originally Posted by Kalmado View Post
    I agree with you yet I find myself nowadays thinking I'd rather buy a new coffee maker than pay for another year of xbox live.
    Even then, i haven't paid for live in over 5 years. The xbl 3-12 month cards have been xmas and bday presents from parents. Lol

CustomTitle
    Banned for Duping
    HOT LITTLE SNATCH

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Jam Valesti
    FFXIV Server
    Leviathan

Sounds exactly how I imagined, most publishers will use 1 time activation and scummy ones like Ubi will use always on and continue to alienate their fans. Just hope they find some way to incorporate streaming like Sony, 'cause that shit is a seller for me.

Pens win! Pens Win!!! PENS WIN!!!!!
    BG Level

well, Ubisoft dropped their always on DRM for PC awhile ago due to fan reaction. I don't think they will do it again for Xbox.

Polygon.com

lol

Yarglebargle
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

Quote Originally Posted by Qalbert View Post
    feel sorry for OCD achievement whores if they can continually add more and have time-specific achieves
    *twitch*

Guess I'm not playing new xbox games. I quit GW2 because of Dailies and the achievement points those give (on top of everything else wrong with the game). I can't... that is a /horrible/ idea.

okay guy I guess
    BG Level

I can see some of the reasoning behind it, encouraging new ways to play, or if a certain facet of the game is being overlooked, but it really does throw the notion of "100%-ing a game", at least in terms of achievements, out the window. Plus depending on what sort of restrictions are in play it could really diminish the whole epeen factor of gamerscore (which personally idc about, but the people with a couple hundred thousand might) if you can just earn thousands of points by say, playing games in Madden on the day they are played irl.

Banned.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix

The fuck is with the social media crap they're all doing? I'd be too ashamed to even mention video games on my Facebook, let alone share videos of me playing them. Do people really do this? Be neckbeards on their Facebook, where they're not anonymous at all?

okay guy I guess
    BG Level

not everyone is a little pussy bitch like you

Banned.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix

did you actually mean to type not everyone is interested in getting pussy like me?

and by everyone I mean qalbert?

okay guy I guess
    BG Level

I'm saying you're a fucking idiot and an insecure little bitch if you're ashamed to mention video games.

Banned.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Patricia Lanvaldear
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas

Quote Originally Posted by Qalbert View Post
    I'm saying you're a fucking idiot and an insecure little bitch if you're ashamed to mention video games.
    100%.
    Haha, Madmaz, that sentiment is pathetic man. Anyone who is too ashamed to admit interest in their hobby deserves all of the shame and/or should probably be doing something else.

RNGesus
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lenette Valkyr
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

I kinda see both sides of it. I'm not ashamed to talk about or mention video games, but I probably wouldn't be sharing video game stuff on facebook all the time because that just isn't the crowd for it @_@ To talk about video games is why I'm here lol.

YOU BLACK, MIDNIGHT, EVIL MOTHERFUCKERS!!! BLACK MAGIC, DARKNESS!!! YOU RAW, DARKNESS!!! YOU, FUCKING, DELIRIOUS MOTHERFUCKER!
    You were cold as ice.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sho Ryuuken
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

One could always make a dummy Facebook account simply for gaming achievements.

Special at 11:30 or w/e

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kalmado Espiritu
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrath View Post
    I kinda see both sides of it. I'm not ashamed to talk about or mention video games, but I probably wouldn't be sharing video game stuff on facebook all the time because that just isn't the crowd for it @_@ To talk about video games is why I'm here lol.
    Ditto. I'm not ashamed about playing games at all, but I don't even talk to my wife about what I'm playing because she's not interested in games. I don't care about social media either but I get why they're doing it as it is prevalent nowadays and they see it as another marketing tool towards casual gamers.

Banned.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Patricia Lanvaldear
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas

Quote Originally Posted by Kalmado View Post
    Ditto. I'm not ashamed about playing games at all, but I don't even talk to my wife about what I'm playing because she's not interested in games. I don't care about social media either but I get why they're doing it as it is prevalent nowadays and they see it as another marketing tool towards casual gamers.
    But that's not even what he said.
    He said he would be ashamed to do it. It doesn't matter if you do or don't, what matters is the stigma.

Supporting Mazmaz's post at all is pretty pathetic if you ask me.

RNGesus

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lenette Valkyr
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

Who said anything about supporting his post? I said outright it doesn't bother me to use the function, but at the same time I don't think I'd have much use for it.

God forbid people not use something for different reasons.

Closed Thread
Page 25 of 214 FirstFirst ... 15 23 24 25 26 27 35 75 ... LastLast