BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Lol, you know what I mean. Imagine they did this shit 10 years ago

Banned.
    Account locked at request of user.

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Jornna View Post
    Now, this might just be me, and correct me if im wrong, but most of the games you play on Xbox can be had on PC correct? So wouldnt it make totally more sense to just put the funds into building a PC that can run all the games that you would play on xbox and be able to do the online stuff for free?

I mean,I can understand why that wouldnt work for like, Sony or Nintendo because they do have exclusives you can't get on PC but it seems like Xbox doesnt have that going for them?

Im just thinking of some of the more major releases and stuff like DmC, Far Cry 3, Mass Effect 3, Black Ops, Resident Evil, Borderlands 2, Dishonored etc are all on PC as well.

I'm pretty sure Gears of War was never on PC but not sure on that. I know Halo was before but I don't know if 4 did come out for it not.
    but if I'm not paying for an XBL subscription how will Microsoft pay publishers to inconvenience people playing multiplatform games on other consoles???

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Six Souls
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Malorne
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Seanr View Post
    And then rumors of games going back up to $70... All this greed is going to hurt them
    Guess who started that rumor?

According to a post on Edge, Electronic Arts’ execs Rajat Taneja and Blake Jorgensen have stated that they expect games for the PS4 and the next-gen Microsoft console to cost about $69 each—a ten dollar increase from the current-gen’s industry standard of $59. The reason for the increase, it seems, is simply that the hardware and games will represent a technological leap forward, requiring a higher price.

The executives offered their insights at Morgan Stanley’s Technology, Media, and Telecom Conference, explaining that the new consoles higher power necessitate a price to reflect that. Said Taneja:

I won’t go into the nitty-gritty of every component, but if you look at it in an aggregate basis, the new consoles are between 8 and 10 times the power of the current generation. The architecture of the consoles is based on standard PC components and technologies. So our own investments in our back end engine like Frostbite, our libraries, our tools will very smoothly run on this and make it easier for us to innovate to the new console technologies themselves. What used to take months in the past will now take days to do
    Jorgensen added:

I think, typically, at the start of a cycle, you’ve seen the pricing raise, say, to $69 for a core piece of software. And then over the life of those, that’s drifted down to introduction price, typically now around $59. We haven’t yet set pricing on our gen 4s, but you probably see a similar trend to that during the start of the next cycle.
    It’s disappointing, but not terribly surprising, to hear about a potential price increase in video games. From the last generation to the current one, prices rose from $50 to $60. Even if the games don’t look terribly different from this generation to the next one being ushered in by PlayStation 4 and whatever Microsoft’s got planned, there’s supposedly a lot more that’s going to be happening under the hood.

But while no one wants to pay $70 for a new video game, don’t forget that the Nintendo 64’s new games cost that much for a long, long time since they were cartridge-based and cost more to manufacture. And with inflation, $70 cost a lot more back then than it does now. Even still…I bristle at the $70 price tag. I can barely stomach $60, but $70? Ugh.

Of course, just because EA’s execs predict higher game prices doesn’t mean that it’s going to happen. Consider the statement of Jack Tretton, President of Sony America. He told CNBC last week about Sony’s plans for software pricing:

We’re going to welcome free-to-play models, games from ninety nine cents up to those sixty dollar games.
    This, seemingly, put the thought of an increased price for games to bed. So who’s right? I suppose we’ll have to wait until the games actually start coming to stores to really know for sure. But even though inflation makes $70 cost less than it did a decade ago, the economy’s in much worse shape now than it has been in quite a while. The PS4 already seems like a pricey piece of hardware, and the Wii U’s games are all at $60. If nothing else, it would make consumers pretty upset to see a new gadget with even more expensive software come out when they’re still scrimping for every penny.
    http://www.insidegamingdaily.com/201...es-to-cost-70/
    http://www.edge-online.com/news/next...st-69-says-ea/
    http://www.cnbc.com/id/100480852

tl:dr - Answer
    Spoiler: show

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Six Souls
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Malorne
    Blog Entries

I didn't ask for this double

Yarglebargle
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

I really want some of what EA is smoking if they honestly think anything warrants $70 for a game, especially with everybody pushing digital releases over discs.

Resident Moogle
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Wouldn't really surprise me since NFS:MostWanted is $70 for some god damn reason in Canadian Walmarts.

A. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

Quote Originally Posted by Kuishen View Post
    I really want some of what EA is smoking if they honestly think anything warrants $70 for a game, especially with everybody pushing digital releases over discs.
    Well, it will take more work to fully take advantage of newer hardware capabilities, and technically, $60 today is worth less than $60 was worth in 2006. It's unrealistic to expect the industry to continue doing more work for less money indefinitely.

okay guy I guess
    BG Level

except that higher prices means less sales, and thus less money

Get off the industry's teet lol

RNGesus
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lenette Valkyr
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

Plus PS4 is gonna be $60 or less so theres no good reason for xbox to go to 70.

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Quote Originally Posted by Qalbert View Post
    except that higher prices means less sales, and thus less money
    People would buy more games if they were cheaper. They don't have to be steam sale prices. But people would be more willing to risk purchases on a potentially bad game. Only sure things will sell at $70. Sequels upon sequels. bye bye innovation

okay guy I guess
    BG Level

seriously. I don't know enough to know that it would for sure work, but imagine new games priced at 40 dollars. More games sell, less room for gamestop to finagle prices for used games, etc.

Fuck It, I'm Goin Deep Fan Club President
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ifrit

Plus its 70$ for 60% of the game, then 10$ for another 10%, another 10$ for another 10%, another 10$ for another 10%, another 10$ for another 10%.

Caesar Salad
    BG Level

Id pay 70 for a full game where dlc didnt feel "needed". But thatll never happen so I wont buy the 70 dollar game. As it is I almost always wait for a game to drop to 40 before I even consider buying, and I weigh that against if id play it right away or if I have backlog to work through.

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Quote Originally Posted by Cail View Post
    Plus its 70$ for 60% of the game, then 10$ for another 10%, another 10$ for another 10%, another 10$ for another 10%, another 10$ for another 10%.
    I wouldn't mind buying dlc for a $40-50 game.

These sobs are selling day one dlc for $60 games. What happened to packing as much as possible extras in a game, leading to higher sales

Online Dating DOES Work!!
    Sonic Ripoff of the Houe of Weave

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Hiryo Randgris
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion

Why do that when you can sell the extras in a season pass. Exclusive skin if you buy the pass day 1

I'll change yer fuckin rate you derivative piece of shit
    BG Level

Other than FFXI expansions, I don't think I've ever paid for DLC.

Maybe once for MGS: Online.

Black Belt
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

I wish PS3 games were $60. In Sweden, most games are in the $85 to $95 range. I mean, sure, some games drop down in to the $75 range, but that's if they're re-releases.

At least computer games are cheap at $60 each. Then again, some are more expensive, like Sim City 5 Limited Edition at $77,3, compared to the US price of $59,99.

Resident Moogle
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Quote Originally Posted by Seanr View Post
    What happened to packing as much as possible extras in a game, leading to higher sales
    They probably did the math and found out its more profitable this way. If you have AAA games that people will buy yearly, it's easy to get more money out of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Uzor View Post
    I wish PS3 games were $60. In Sweden, most games are in the $85 to $95 range. I mean, sure, some games drop down in to the $75 range, but that's if they're re-releases.

At least computer games are cheap at $60 each. Then again, some are more expensive, like Sim City 5 Limited Edition at $77,3, compared to the US price of $59,99.
    This is why folks pirate. No game is worth $85+, ever.

Closed Thread
Page 5 of 214 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 15 55 ... LastLast