FFXIV Character
    Rokku Swarfjaryn
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Caitsith
    WoW Realm
    Kilrogg

I don't know why they act all doom and gloom for Gamestop either. Provided the discs themselves aren't watermarked, or the keys aren't tied to the disc itself, there's no reason they couldn't just cut a deal with publishers to sell new authentication keys for used discs.

Caesar Salad
    BG Level

Or this move is to help durability. With parts moving less frequently things will break down a lot slower, and installing has many other benefits as well. If requiring an install from every disk also means they can fit better assets into a game then I'm all for it. Id call it future proofing, since who knows when well hit the cap on bluray storage on a game ( or reducing cost if you can get away using a single layer Blu ray).

Sure, this move has room for abuse but as long as Sony doesn't do it I don't see Microsoft's doing it either.

That's gotta be an awesome business model lol

Anyways, this new info, if it's true, has somehow 1-upped the "fear" that was first implied to a whole new tier of greed. Who the fuck wants to install an entire game if you own it on disc already? That part makes no sense and I'm gonna call bullshit on the whole thing until M$ opens their mouth.

Pens win! Pens Win!!! PENS WIN!!!!!
    BG Level

If any of that is true, seems like Microsoft is trying to give customers to Sony.

Caesar Salad
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by notorious bum View Post
    That's gotta be an awesome business model lol

Anyways, this new info, if it's true, has somehow 1-upped the "fear" that was first implied to a whole new tier of greed. Who the fuck wants to install an entire game if you own it on disc already? That part makes no sense and I'm gonna call bullshit on the whole thing until M$ opens their mouth.
    You don't install games on your brobox or ps3?

D. Ring
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Grey Jorildyn
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion

I kinda hope they go ahead and do it so the console market takes a big leap towards going away forever. Oh and Gamestop too.

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Grey Jorildyn View Post
    I kinda hope they go ahead and do it so the console market takes a big leap towards going away forever. Oh and Gamestop too.
    Why exactly would you want the console market to go away? lol

"PC master race" or some shit, I imagine.

BG Level

Yeah, I guess, I don't see why hate consoles so much that you'd want them to disappear. What exactly does that help?

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Quote Originally Posted by Salodin View Post
    You don't install games on your brobox or ps3?
    I have both and I don't.

Caesar Salad
    BG Level

I mean, people are lazy so sure, but aside from that or HDD space (which obviously wouldn't be a problem with durango) there is no reason to not install. Literally zero downsides aside from spending 5 minutes fixing yourself a sandwich while it installs.

Resident Moogle
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Really depends on the size of the drives they're going to use for their base model, and if they are going to continue their laughably overpriced propriety drives.

Don't worry, if all this turns out to be true, they'll make sure that the premium size harddrives will be the only rational choice for anyone who plans on buying more than a handful of games a year. It's just another flavor of manufactured obsolescence(which is another reason why I wouldn't be completely shocked if they tried this.)

RNGesus
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lenette Valkyr
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

Quote Originally Posted by Salodin View Post
    I mean, people are lazy so sure, but aside from that or HDD space (which obviously wouldn't be a problem with durango) there is no reason to not install. Literally zero downsides aside from spending 5 minutes fixing yourself a sandwich while it installs.
    You are completely missing the point. Installing is great and all. But if the discs are used ONLY to install, then theres no way they would work as used games because they are not going to let them be installed on multiple systems. Current games you install still need the discs to play.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ramuh
    WoW Realm
    Kilrogg

Quote Originally Posted by Grey Jorildyn View Post
    Stupid post is stupid as shit.

All it means is it will be the reign of the PS4 if this shit turns out to be true, among other rumors

Caesar Salad
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrath View Post
    You are completely missing the point. Installing is great and all. But if the discs are used ONLY to install, then theres no way they would work as used games because they are not going to let them be installed on multiple systems. Current games you install still need the discs to play.
    Current games still need disks to play, but only on boot up; and afaik there is no check for is the installing disk is the one inserted (just as long as its the correct game). The only difference this would be is the install is required, and in no way promises to block used game sales.

Don't understand why that couldn't be the case with a new system like the one rumored. Again, 2 out of 3 next gen consoles do not block used games, why is every one afraid the next xbox will do the opposite and be the only one people will go out of there way to avoid because of it?

Can you spare some gil?
    BG Level

My only worry about 720 is the always online requirement, being that my connection can be spotty at random times, should I own the console(unlikely as I wasn't a fan of 360 and ended up giving that away to a friend.) and my internet is to cut out for an hour or two and I've got time to sit down and game, what happens?

Is it Diablo 3 / Starcraft 2 / Sim City all over again where I can't play my games because my console can't connect to the internet? It's not like I have a reason to keep my current provider either, but am sorta locked in between staying with AT&T ADSL or going to Dial Up, and well.. both are grim but the lesser of the two evils leaves me with AT&T ADSL for obvious reasons. Pisses me off that TWC and Comcast deliver service right down the road but stops 3 houses down from me, and the subdivision two houses down from me have access to FiOs, TWC, and Comcast. :/ I'm not about to move just for slightly faster stable Internet so I can enjoy my always online console.

Caesar Salad
    BG Level

What they mean by always connected, is probably something along the lines of the ps4 where new social information is constantly being streamed to your device in the form of new ads, games, etc. I could be wrong, but until they specifically announce that it needs to be always online in order to play games I'll just make an educated guess and say they aren't going to shoot themselves in the foot and be the only console manufacturer that has DRM.

D. Ring
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Grey Jorildyn
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion

Quote Originally Posted by Jornna View Post
    Why exactly would you want the console market to go away? lol
    cuz it's awful? Every generation they just become more and more like PCs anyway. Might be best to stop wasting time and just, I dunno, game on a PC.

Quite literally the only thing consoles are "good" for are the exclusives. Seems to me like each year there are less exclusive console titles worth picking up anyway. How many did we have last year? Planned for this year? Just saying.

my rant in spoilers if anyone cares.
    Spoiler: show
    In the end, consoles are money sinks. They have $400 price tags on launch day, $60 games (PC games are generally cheaper by $10 and more accessible via digital download), and then, well you just NEED the service that comes with them too, right? (PS+ is far better than XBL, I'm sure we're on the same page with that) On top of needing to pay for internet every month, with XBL you need to pay another fee just to use multiplayer for the multiplayer game you just bought? Hey, PC does that with JUST the internet connection (you're being had now!). So let's say you've owned your xbox or PS for 5 years and have the subscription for gold ($40/yr) or PS+ ($50), you've paid $200, and $250 respectively. On top of the initial cost of the system you're talking $600 and $650 for these systems, which you then have to replace when the next gen comes out (PCs are less expensive to upgrade when done intelligently). And when your console breaks down/red rings, then what? You might just have to buy a new one in some cases.

The "best" argument I hear for why consoles should continue to exist is so "I can play on my couch". You can do that with a PC, but I'll give you that argument. I sure ain't lugging my couch to my desktop or vice versa, and I don't like long cables running across the living room. Consoles hardly save you money over just buying a good gaming PC, and at least if your PC goes bunk you swap out a part and it's all good again, unlike your console. They make great gamepads for PC too (see: razer, logitech) so the comfort level is quite literally the same. Losing the console market would place heavier emphasis on the standardization of gaming platforms imo. Maybe that's not true immediately, but where platforms are concerned, less (quantity) is usually more (focus). See iOS vs. Android. Every little feature they add to consoles just makes them more like PCs each year. This generation will be no different. I've given up on consoles and the exclusive games aren't attractive to me. If they are for you, well then I can't argue you can't like those games. I'll stick with my PC which will save me more money on games in my life time and will play the games in higher resolution, with better graphics, and still feel the same to me with my Onza gamepad. And I won't have to buy a whole new one when the next generation of games comes out either.

BG Level

In the end, its not like if consoles went away, it would somehow boost PC gaming.

You're just being a selfish dick. If you enjoy PC gaming,good for you. Doesn't mean you should wish consoles die so people who enjoy console gaming can no longer do so.

Closed Thread
Page 7 of 214 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 17 57 ... LastLast