1. FFXIV Reset Timers
    Last daily reset was 19 hours, 14 minutes ago / Next daily reset is in 4 hours, 45 minutes
    Last weekly reset was 1 days, 12 hours, 14 minutes ago / Next weekly reset is in 4 days, 21 hours, 45 minutes
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Old Merits
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Enygma Xii
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Multi-meld gear will just be dictated at a lower market rate than we are use to in the new economy given BoS. If a triple meld only cost 1M (in v2.0) thats not a bad investment if its a substantial upgrade from double meld (say 50 str compared to 35). Even if the next best rare/ex item is 35 str.

We cant really judge the system yet til we know meld rates, conversion rates and how the new economy is to tell if multi-melds are worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by Sephiroth View Post
    Thing is the best gear will come from raiding or whatever, so why buy that top tier crafted gear to hold you over until you get what you want when some common gear will do the job and save you millions? I'm talking the difference between a triple meld and a double meld here. A triple meld had high resale value in V1 but was very expensive. You didn't need it however, double melds were fine for any of the content and they were relatively cheap or easy enough to make. Take away the resale value in the triple meld and people are less inclined to buy items of such rarity. Depending on your luck/success in raids it could become junk a week later or 6 months later. Knowing that I'd stick with a double. People who don't own shitloads of cash will be even more likely to think this way. But as the materia system is getting overhauled this may not even be an issue. I can't hate on a system until I know how it will work with other systems.
    Without knowing the entirety of the system, I'll just default to people need to stop being greedy fucks. If shit is likely to be quickly replaced, it probably shouldn't be expensive, character binding or not. Now, this gets complicated when rarity is introduced, sure, but it's also the devs' duty to properly reflect quality against rarity. If a crafted item needs some super rare ingredient, then odds are it should compete with, maybe even beat, raiding gear. At this point, people also need to stop caring how anyone but themselves winds up getting outfitted as long as they're carrying their weight in their chosen activity. Otherwise, let the money sinks do their thing.

Strider/Doom/Cyclops
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Viper Beam
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

I think it's clear that there needs to be some sort of major unreleased (as of yet) change to the materia/melding system.

Because as it is, completely eliminating the resale market for used melded gear basically makes multi-melding obsolete. If you take the following additional factors to be true:

1) crafted gear has a worthwhile profit margin
    2) one piece of gear converts to one piece of materia
    3) single materia are not so feeble as to be useless
    4) failed multi-melds result in component loss

...I don't see how it could possibly be worthwhile to multi-meld if they are BoS. Even if you got full spiritbond on the first fight, you still have the cost (or opportunity cost) of the gear you converted. (And TBH, time was never really even a factor in 1.0... you could spiritbond your entire inventory in a couple hours, if that.)

The materia system really needs two major additions:

1) the ability to re-roll materia via synth or NPC trade (at some level of loss, of course)
    2) the ability to extract materia from gear (with the loss of the gear is fine)

The latter would be almost required in a BoS environment to avoid obliterating the multi-meld economy.

To be perfectly honest, the amount of materia that was NPCed in 1.0 was just obscene. There needs to be SOME sort of mechanism to "trade-in" unwanted materia besides NPCing them for pennies.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Teisha Linne
    FFXIV Server
    Moogle
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Weren't you already able to extract materia in 1.0?

But I don't want my title changed
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Fievel Mousekewitz
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

Quote Originally Posted by Gokulo View Post
    Weren't you already able to extract materia in 1.0?
    You could take it off the gear, but you didn't get it back.

Old Merits
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Enygma Xii
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

They eliminated tiers within tiers of materia value so that alone will reduce all materia numbers a significant amount. This should help to create more 'wanted' materia on the market.

There will always be a market for multi-melds. The price will continue to drop til people find them acceptable to buy vs rare/ex gear.

Would I pay 1M for a triple meld? Probably not...maybe 500k? But at 200k, sure why not !

Strider/Doom/Cyclops
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Viper Beam
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

The problem is that triple-meld will essentially never drop below the price of 3 single materia. That's just simple math. And that places a rather firm lower limit on the price of multi-melds.

So as long as single-melds are not so feeble as to be useless, materia price will not be set relative to the value of the triple-melds that people aren't making, but rather by the value of individual materia (to be used in a single meld) themselves.