+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Importing .pst files to Office 365

So i'm in the process of migrating a companies email from onsite exchange server to Office 365. I've set up all their mailboxes but now I need to import their .pst files from their local machines to Office 365 and I have no fucking clue how to go about this. There's a tool called PST Capture by MS, but it only works on 64bit OSs from what i'm reading and the company has only 32bit OSs.

I'm a complete noob when it comes to exchange and just learning by being thrown in the deep end, anyone dealt with this before or have any knowledge about how to go about this process?

I Am, Who I Am.
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Trixi Sephyuyx
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

So youre trying to "upload" their local .pst archive files? Not their email currently on exchange?

Sounds lik a shit job considering they could have put it anywhere on their PC if they ignored the default location.

You can try doing something with.. and I just blanked.. it's a little tool that can run commands on any fqdn/ip/subnet you point it at.. PSTools? Eh.. I dont remember.

Basically you can tell it to point to the archive dir, and upload any .pst files to a certain location.

Yeah i'm trying to even find their .pst locations right now and they are all fucking over the place.

BG's most likeable Québécois
    Pens win! Pens Win!!! PENS WIN!!!!!

BG Level

To find their PST locations is easy just go in control panel then mail then data files

To upload i need ot aks this question first do they access 365 online or by outlook (reason is I never tried 365) we use Zimbra here

They dont access 365 at all yet, we're just setting everything up and migrating them next week apparently.

BG Level

Best way would be to backup their PST, then connect 365 to outlook then import PST to outlook and let it sync

Thats what we had to do with Zimbra (their PST importater sucked too)

BG Level

Aka this is what we did with Zimbra (since the PST import tool sucked)

Was a long job but didnt had much choice

Created their account on Zimbra
    Change DNS to point on new server
    Connect everyone on the Zimbra Web client (to get new email)
    Then backup their PST
    Connect Outlook on the new Account
    Import PST in Outlook
    Let it all sync
    Profit

(Of course we did bosses first but we had like 100-150 account to do like that)

Also to note that until we changed their account in Outlook we let Outlook point on the ISP SMTP so they could reply to already downloaded email from Outlook but they had to receive from Zimbra until we connected their Outlook

Lots of work but it worked lol

The company has their domain hosted by godaddy, so do I redirect their MX records from there to Office 365? or modify their DNS on the AD server?

Honestly not sure why we didn't just set them up with Google Apps, so much more documentation and tools for Google Apps it seems.

Edit: Nvm I see the setting in the forward look up zone for mail pointing to the server itself, guessing I have to modify that entry.

BG Level

VMware Zimbra ftw

Hmm, there is a migration tab in Office 365, going through it now to see what it does but of course NO ONE has provided me the passwords for any of these user email accounts -_-;

BG Level

enjoy

Edit: Ok I have no clue what i'm doing here. The migration toolkit doesn't tell you jackshit about what it's doing or how to go about just importing the .pst files into the accounts. You would think it would be fucking simple since it's microsoft's online cloud and its microsofts fucking email server but all I can find online are ppl complaining about how it's almost impossible to do and a huge pain in the ass.

BG Level

I'm telling you

Backup their pst then make their account on 365 with a shitty password

Connect their outlook to their 365 account a d import the pst

The outlook should upload all to the 365

Then somewhere in 365 force users to change password a d if its normal next time they pop outlook it should ask them the password

Or mine a phone and I can call you ( yeah) I can all USA and canada free

I can't connect their outlook to 365 due to autodiscover routing it to the local exchange server and not to the 365. I need to turn off autodiscover on the server to connect their email to the 365, all the settings are good I spent the last 3 hrs on phone with Microsoft going over everything. only issue I can't disable the exchange server yet because i'm not comfortable doing that on my own, I know jack to shit about exchange and email.

Is there a way to backup their .pst files from the exchange server database? Remoting into their pcs and logging into outlook I can only log into 1 outlook account and the rest for some reason dont even have it enabled...but they all have exchange user accounts. Entire thing is pretty fucked up that i'm dealing with.

BG Level

Their Outlook box and Exchange is kinda the same

So if you import their PST into their outlook profil (if they have email in PST that they don't have in outlook) IT should upload to the exchange server np.

But as soon as they receive an email it will go into the PST, So normal the PST is the 'offiline' version of the exchange aka it should be identical

Read this

http://www.msexchange.org/articles-t...ine-part1.html

I don't know your situation but it might help

Thanks, ill read over that later tonight, should help

BG Level

I personally don't know why they picked office 365 It's kinda pricey

(well depends on how many users they go of course)

Quote Originally Posted by Ratatapa View Post
    I personally don't know why they picked office 365 It's kinda pricey

(well depends on how many users they go of course)
    Dont even get me started honestly. I have no clue as the MSP I work for uses google apps and part of our corporate write ups for companies is to transition them into Google Apps email service at some point.

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Xanthe Celaeno
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle

You can bypass autodiscover by choosing to manually configure Exchange settings. Specify the Office 365 Exchange server, check names, done. Assuming you have access to each account, you should be able to find out where their local PSTs reside by opening up account settings in Outlook and going to the Data Files tab. This will list all PST archives and OST caches.

Honestly, there's not reason to import local PSTs or OSTs. The OST data is only a local cache of what exists on the Exchange server, and the whole point of PST archives is to get that data off of the server. You should be migrating their mailboxes from the old server to the Office 365 server. Once the accounts are migrated and disabled on the old Exchange server a simple restart of Outlook and autodiscover should handle the rest. We've been in the process of migrating mailboxes from Exchange 2003 (don't get me started) to 2010 and this is the exact process we use. I'm not the Exchange admin so I can't give you many particulars, but on the client end of things there is very little that needs to be done.

BG Level

There is only 1 reason (on top of my head that) he would need to backup the PST

I can't talk for exchange, cuz we don't use it. But for our clients their old email provider used POP. When a user opened Outlook it open his PST(OK that's normal) But microsoft has a 2gig limit on the PST, if the PST is over 2gig Outlook takes forever to load.

So to accomplish that, we either compacted their PST or created a new empty PST, and opened the old PST to visualize as backup.

When we did Zimbra Migration, outlook only sent the main PST to the zimbra server, so we had to import the archive to the main PST so that it would go to the server.

But yeah with zimbra PST becomes a backup (we have a user with 7gig on his PST and outlook doesn't bug at all) So i guess it'S the same with Exchange