Thread: Planetary Annihilation     submit to reddit submit to twitter

E. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Planetary Annihilation

"Spiritual Successor to TA" - Uber

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...generation-rts

This is mentioned in the KS thread, but it doesn't have a video so here's one for your viewing pleasure

It looks awesome I think

The Real Cookiemonster
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Dark Depravity
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas

Hory! Do want!
    Too late to kick in :/
    I played the old TA (and SupCom) to death and beyond, then came SupCom2 and broke my little nerdy heart. I want to believe!

Chram
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Deejay Zombie
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

game looks like it could be phenomonal. tho it seems like that vid didnt have any actual gameplay in it. dev vids on youtube look promising tho

Chram
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Deejay Zombie
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

saw this pop up on steam today at 90 bucks for early access. beta will be 60 bucks, no idea what the retail release will be priced at but that wont be til after november.

The Shitlord
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kharo Hadakkus
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    WoW Realm
    Rivendare

that looks really cool. will keep my eye on this

Chram
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Deejay Zombie
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

So its officially been released on steam and is down to 30 bucks. The new trailers look great, probably pickin this up friday.

Anyone here tried it yet?

The Shitlord
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kharo Hadakkus
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    WoW Realm
    Rivendare

it was on sale a couple months back and i picked it up. there might be more features now, but it seemed somewhat slim when i played. fun, but too reliant on RNG: you unlock a random new tech when you explore an unclaimed world or conquer someone else's world, but that tech may or may not be useful/usable, as many of them have prerequisites and you only start with 3 tech slots, which are also randomly granted. and the starting tech is extremely limited. like, barely functional.

i havn't tried the multiplayer, though.

Chram
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Deejay Zombie
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

You probably dont know max player count for multiplayer then do you?

The Shitlord
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kharo Hadakkus
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    WoW Realm
    Rivendare

nope and unfortunately i can't check. my desktop died and my netbook struggles manfully with multiple Chrome tabs

E. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Man I want to buy this so bad, but some of the reviews I've read make me want to stay far far away

one of the main gripes people are having is the bad camera angles

this pisses me off because supreme commander: FA had amazing camera control

Chram
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Deejay Zombie
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

Im gonna buy it anyway, im sure if its enough of a problem that theyre getting bad reviews they'll fix it

Chram
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Deejay Zombie
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

On sale for half off($14.99) for the next 40ish hours, if anyone is on the fence about getting it this is probably the cheapest it will be until holiday sales.
    http://store.steampowered.com/app/233250/

So I bought it and been playing it when I can in my free time(which isn't much) but I haven't really encountered many issues with the game.

My only real issue with it is that there is no saving mid battle, on even single player games, and currently to play anything including single player, you have to have an internet connection. If you happen to get disconnected from the internet mid match, your game is gone(single player, haven't played much mp yet). Galactic war(single player progression) has single player saves between battles, but you can't save mid battle. So playing for 15-30 minutes at a time is kind of out of the question, because its unlikely you'll complete a battle in that time, unless its super close quarters one planet battle with many people on it.

With the except of the save issue/online drm the game is great. They've said that "soon" they'll be releasing an offline update that will allow you to play single player without an internet connection, allow you to save, as well as host your own servers for the game. In addition to that offline version update will enable drm free lan play with the same key.

I've found the key to winning this game is to never stop expanding. Setup super long build queues for your production units so they never have to walk to far to build the next structure, and set your factories to produce infinite units. Area commands and build queues make this game so much easier. The learning curve is much steeper though than a traditional RTS, you're not playing on flat maps with edges, you're playing on spheres, and multiple ones at that... so you can get attacked from literally any direction on the surface, land air and sea, you can get attacked from the orbital layer(and if you've got nothing to defend against it you're pretty fucked), you can get attacked from interplanetary attacks like nukes/death star lasers/planet smashing.

Probably the easiest way(albeit extremely frustrating to have limited tech if you've already done skirmishes) to get your bearings is galactic war, because you have limited tech to start with and only can use what you unlock by exploring the solar system. It can be pretty frustrating to build an advanced factory and then realize you can't produce anything with it.

Overall though this game is probably one of the best RTS games I've played in a long time.(didn't play much sc2, not really into it)

Probably one of the best things about this game is the picture in picture. I was waging war on two different planets, had my home planet up in the main window, had the enemy planet up in the PIP window, and I was able to select units and give them commands from either window.

The Shitlord
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kharo Hadakkus
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    WoW Realm
    Rivendare

i didnt know about the PIP system. that's cool. also, for galactic war, if you get the sub-commander techs i highly recommend you keep them. On the lower difficulties they actually kill the commander before i even finished building my army. Then again, I'm not very good at RTSs. My strategy is basically just to turtle until i have an overwhelming army of super-powerful units and then wipe out the enemy in as direct a manner as possible.

also i'm a huge fan of the teleporters. they connect anywhere in a match, including other planets.

Chram
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Deejay Zombie
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

Yea they said their plan for mulit monitor support is unlimited amount of sizeable moveable pip windows across any number of monitors.

Also yea teleporters are the only way to go for an efficient full scale invasion. Hell you can give your factorues orders to send n newly created units straight theough the teleporter. Being able to give units coming out of factories more than just a simple gather here command is amazing. You can make an air factory that builds scout aircraft and then give that factory a patrol the entire planet command and all the scouts will immed I ately start patrolling as soon as they come out.

Chram
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Deejay Zombie
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

The last battle I won because of my superweapon tech, was able to rush nukes, and I also have complete vehicle. Glad I built a couple antinukes though, ai tried to nuke me twice and failed, i went scorched earth and sent six, hadn't scouted his planet but all his orbital shit was clustered up, so i sent an area command for my 6 nuke silos that was like a shotgun blast sized pattern on half of the planet and ended up hitting his commander with it too.

did anyone see this yet?

Chram
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Deejay Zombie
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

So I just figured out something that seems like an exploit/oversight.

If you've got orbital units that can view the ground(like an astreus, or satellites), and you've scouted the enemy commander with them already and have vision of him, you can tell that orbital unit to "assist" the enemy commander by clicking on the unit, then assist, then double click the enemy commander, and your orbital unit will follow the enemy commander around providing constant vision of him.

Assist seems like it should only be able to be used on friendly units, but you can definitely use it on enemy units too.