Yoshi P
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Fitz Everleigh
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

I was reading that HuffPo article and saw this in the slide show and busted out laughing

In a WPIX interview in 2012, East Haven, Conn. Mayor Joe Maturo (R) was asked what he would do for the Latino community. Maturo replied, "I might have tacos when I go home. I'm not quite sure yet."

Banned.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

Thats mad old.

If you stopped to actually learn something you might not post these uninformed posts.
    BG Level

Why would any politician do anything for someone just because they belong to an ethnic group? That is just racist. The left want different rules and privileges to different groups of people, hypocrisy is what it is.

Ladies and gentlemen, I present onto you, the winner:

http://www.arktimes.com/binary/e064/...7-natebell.jpg

If you stopped to actually learn something you might not post these uninformed posts.
    BG Level

It is funny because it is true

Quote Originally Posted by test123 View Post
    Is it?

Because, it occurs to me, that when there is a very concentrated police force searching for a highly dangerous fugitive. People are in their homes not because they're cowing in fear, but because they're complying. Bringing an AR-15 into the situation where police and military forces are going door to door, making sure everyone is okay only multiplies what is an immense, incredible tension. Does the AR-15 really bring that kind of peace of mind to either the home owner or the investigator? I want to know. Are these people going to say, "Man, if I just had this assault rifle, I would feel just so much better about everything."?

But, let's say that Johnny Homeowner has an AR-15. What happens now? How does this weapon actually stop these guys? I'm genuinely curious. Answer this for me. Tell me how an AR-15 stops grenades and homemade bombs, and fugitives who are so callous with human life that they strap bombs to their persons, and one ran down the other in order to escape. How does a homeowner with an assault rifle help this situation?

So that's your homework. I eagerly await your answers to my questions. And while I understand that you're a libertarian forum troll who has no concept of how anything works other than an Ayn Rand book, the callousness and glibness of your initial response has set the bar incredibly low for my questions to be answered. After all, your assertion of "Boston liberals want big guns now that there's a guy loose", is actually true, rather than, "It was a moronic, crass statement from a retarded gun nut that illustrates how some individuals hate liberals with such a burning hatred that there's no such thing as tact."

I'll even help. Here are some handy links that you can use for your answers.

The Shitlord
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kharo Hadakkus
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    WoW Realm
    Rivendare

i just saw something similar on facebook. one of my best friends shared it. i was very disappointed in him, but not surprised.

Quote Originally Posted by test123 View Post
    I have trouble believing that even a gun-loving, ultra-conservative, far right tea partier with at least some level of reasonable thought would seriously say to themselves "man, I'd feel a lot safer from bombs/terrorism if I had a high capacity AR-15"... Or is that all just an oxymoron?

But hey, whatever helps you sleep better at night.

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

Quote Originally Posted by RKenshin View Post
    I have trouble believing that even a gun-loving, ultra-conservative, far right tea partier with at least some level of reasonable thought would seriously say to themselves "man, I'd feel a lot safer from bombs/terrorism if I had a high capacity AR-15"... Or is that all just an oxymoron?

But hey, whatever helps you sleep better at night.
    I feel a lot safer with my guns. In fact, I feel so safe that they are locked in a case with 2 separate locks....and I don't even have ammo for them! Hmm, maybe it's not the guns that make me feel safe. Maybe it's the fact that I live in America.

My biggest experience outside of this country was a trip to a small town 3 hours north of Mumbai, India. I did not feel safe there at all and every single "official" could be bought. There was no trusting the police, army, or whatever private security force they use in Union Territories. There is nothing like that here in America. I genuinely feel safe here because of the laws and structure of our society. Whether I own a gun or not has nothing to do with that safety and security.

Quote Originally Posted by Acevalefor View Post
    I feel a lot safer with my guns. In fact, I feel so safe that they are locked in a case with 2 separate locks....and I don't even have ammo for them! Hmm, maybe it's not the guns that make me feel safe. Maybe it's the fact that I live in America.

My biggest experience outside of this country was a trip to a small town 3 hours north of Mumbai, India. I did not feel safe there at all and every single "official" could be bought. There was no trusting the police, army, or whatever private security force they use in Union Territories. There is nothing like that here in America. I genuinely feel safe here because of the laws and structure of our society. Whether I own a gun or not has nothing to do with that safety and security.
    Feeling safer in America than other countries is reasonable, there's statistical evidence to back up that feeling. However, if you think people in law enforcement and the justice system aren't getting bought on a daily basis in America, you're a bit naive. Hell, elected officials are now so "bought" they practically have corporate fucking sponsorship.

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

There's a big difference between "politicians voting for companies best interests" and "you need to pay the police to investigate the murder of your daughter, pay the court to bring it to trial, and pay more than the defendant to get him found guilty"

Bagel
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

Funny, between bible&gun rednecks, gangs and the fact that you guys attract most major terrorist attacks (London 7/7 and Madrid excepted), I'd feel a lot less safe in the US than I do here.

Quote Originally Posted by Ashmada View Post
    Funny, between bible&gun rednecks, gangs and the fact that you guys attract most major terrorist attacks (London 7/7 and Madrid excepted), I'd feel a lot less safe in the US than I do here.
    Those are really only problems in the south and extremely urban areas. The other 70% of the country (constituting like 60-70% of the population) are very safe, even in the context of petty crimes like burglary. Basically, if you don't see projects or confederate flags in a 10 mile radius, everything's cool. That I can say from personal experience, as I used to live in a seriously ghetto area outside Madison, WI (yes, there is a ghetto-y area in whitebread America), and the difference between there and a town 15 minutes away is as wide as the Grand Canyon.

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

Quote Originally Posted by Restrat View Post
    There's a big difference between "politicians voting for companies best interests" and "you need to pay the police to investigate the murder of your daughter, pay the court to bring it to trial, and pay more than the defendant to get him found guilty"
    Couldn't have said it better. You even have to pay the guard at the door to the police station before they will let you in to even report a crime. It's a racket that is part of the structure from the ground all the way up to law enforcement executives. And that's just the organization that is supposed to protect and serve.

We had to pay a police officer that was stopping traffic on the road leading out of the airport in Mumbai. He was standing in the road demanding payment from anyone that looked foreign before he would let them pass. There were 3-4 other officers standing off to the side with "assault" rifles. Let me tell you how much confidence that instilled in me if I were to need assistance or got into a simple accident...none whatsoever. The company I was there installing equipment for had their own police and rescue crews because the public EMS and police could not be trusted. If something like that were happening in America, there would be major uprisings by the citizens demanding action.

If you can show me the level of corruption that I saw in India occurring anywhere in America then we can talk about how "bad" America is. I still feel safer here than anywhere else I have been.

You sound like someone talking about a place they've never been to as if they know everything there is to know because of the number of "incidents" that they see on the news. Where do you live? Remember, there are over 300,000,000 people in America and we are spread out across 3,717,813 square miles. There are several "regions" of the US that could almost qualify as their own countries simply because of the diversity between regions.

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

Edit-double post. See above post.

Ridill
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Blubbartron View Post
    Those are really only problems in the south and extremely urban areas. The other 70% of the country (constituting like 60-70% of the population) are very safe, even in the context of petty crimes like burglary. Basically, if you don't see projects or confederate flags in a 10 mile radius, everything's cool. That I can say from personal experience, as I used to live in a seriously ghetto area outside Madison, WI (yes, there is a ghetto-y area in whitebread America), and the difference between there and a town 15 minutes away is as wide as the Grand Canyon.

lol @ the idea of a 10 mile radius area in the U.S. with no confederate flags

but yeah, the correct statement there isn't "I feel safe because I live in America," it's "I feel safe because I live in a modern society."

Bagel
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

You sound like someone talking about a place they've never been to as if they know everything there is to know because of the number of "incidents" that they see on the news. Where do you live? Remember, there are over 300,000,000 people in America and we are spread out across 3,717,813 square miles
    Heh, wasn't really serious about it. It's a thing I do 'round here: talking about the US the way many US internet denizens talk about Europe (or even the rest of the world).
    That being said, no need to go from specific incidents, statistics (I know, I know, "lies, damn lies and...") suffice: violent crime is significantly worse on your side of the pond, so I would actually feel less safe in the US than here.

Quote Originally Posted by Acevalefor
    There are several "regions" of the US that could almost qualify as their own countries simply because of the diversity between regions.
    That be true everywhere. You should know so, having been in India. I mean, even within a single city, India has diversity on an unparalleled scale.

Black Belt
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

statistics (I know, I know, "lies, damn lies and...") suffice: violent crime is significantly worse on your side of the pond, so I would actually feel less safe in the US than here.

Hmm? I could absolutely be wrong about this, but the last few months (due to the gun debates) a huge pro-gun argument has been that even without guns, EU has a much higher violent crime rate.

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

Heh, wasn't really serious about it. It's a thing I do 'round here: talking about the US the way many US internet denizens talk about Europe (or even the rest of the world).

That be true everywhere. You should know so, having been in India. I mean, even within a single city, India has diversity on an unparalleled scale.
    Absolutely true. And you are less of a person if you were born in the south than if you were born in the north. The Union Territories in India can border largish cities and driving the 50' across the border from UT to State Territory is like going from Montana Big Sky Country all the way to the Mexican border. Each tribal area has their own language too that is similar to Hindi but different enough to be it's own language.

Back on topic though;
    Quote Originally Posted by Eurell View Post
    Hmm? I could absolutely be wrong about this, but the last few months (due to the gun debates) a huge pro-gun argument has been that even without guns, EU has a much higher violent crime rate.
    I was under this impression as well.

Ridill
    BG Level

let me guess, you both occasionally believe things people who exclusively watch fox news say?

long story short there are numbers that "show" violent crime being higher in europe because the u.s. only counts certain very specific things as violent crime, while european countries include a lot more

and if you compare shit directly, like murder, rape, burglary, the u.s. is higher across the board

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 111 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 15 55 ... LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

• Decrease Size
    Increase Size
  • Remove Text Formatting
  • Insert Link Insert Image Insert Video
  • Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text
  • Insert NSFW Tag
  • Insert Spoiler Tag