+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast
    the whitest knight u' know
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Miya Kai
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

I can't imagine it did anything but well considering what the development costs could have possibly been.

Quote Originally Posted by Damane View Post
    This

and I think their biggest problem is they dont realise that you play smartphone games for 10-15 min not for hours, no RPG is gonna work on that, at least i wouldnt play one. Something like teathrythm however might work.
    they do not give half a shit about how long you play a game, just how much revenue it generates

The Defense is ready, Your Honor
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lord Longhaft
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus
    WoW Realm
    Mug'thol

Quote Originally Posted by Fievel View Post
    Correct me if I'm wrong, I may be, but didn't dimensions do well?
    It did fantastically well from a revenue standpoint. Cost a nickel to make, raked in thousands more than the initial investment.

Even All The Bravest made money, and since these companies are only factoring in total profit when equating success, then they undoubtedly see All The Bravest as a smashing success. Even this latest letter from the NA rep (who has no real power within the company in terms of what games get made) basically PRed the shit out of everyone by acknowledging that while some people had a problem with All The Bravest, it was more of an issue of SE not explaining -why- they were making games to fuck over old school fans instead of SE actually making games to fuck over old school fans.

Using nostalgia to bilk cash out of frothing fanboys is pretty low. Its one thing to drop Cloud and the FFVII into some shitty mobile cash-grab, but actually re-using old sprites, songs and locales for All The Bravest is just brutal.

But I don't want my title changed
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Fievel Mousekewitz
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

Quote Originally Posted by Lucavi View Post
    It did fantastically well from a revenue standpoint. Cost a nickel to make, raked in thousands more than the initial investment.

Even All The Bravest made money, and since these companies are only factoring in total profit when equating success, then they undoubtedly see All The Bravest as a smashing success. Even this latest letter from the NA rep (who has no real power within the company in terms of what games get made) basically PRed the shit out of everyone by acknowledging that while some people had a problem with All The Bravest, it was more of an issue of SE not explaining -why- they were making games to fuck over old school fans instead of SE actually making games to fuck over old school fans.

Using nostalgia to bilk cash out of frothing fanboys is pretty low. Its one thing to drop Cloud and the FFVII into some shitty mobile cash-grab, but actually re-using old sprites, songs and locales for All The Bravest is just brutal.
    It doing fantastically from a revenue standpoint was what I thought, and the reason for my post was in response to Damane's comment of RPG's never working on mobiles. Whether we all like it or not, they do work, and if SE can spend a couple bucks on a game that's going to turn better profits than their consoles, you can bet they're going to keep doing it.

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Meek Marcello
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

but actually re-using old sprites, songs and locales for All The Bravest is just brutal.
    Uh, you do realize that's the point right. ATB is a nostalgia spinoff, do people think all those assets are sacred or something and shall not ever be touched? lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Fievel View Post
    my post was in response to Damane's comment of RPG's never working on mobiles. Whether we all like it or not, they do work, and if SE can spend a couple bucks on a game that's going to turn better profits than their consoles, you can bet they're going to keep doing it.
    This, the amount of prejudice from "core gamers" when it comes to mobile gaming is astounding. All the arguments to mobile gaming can pretty much be summed up as.
    http://1-media-cdn.foolz.us/ffuuka/b...7721178688.jpg

But I don't want my title changed
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Fievel Mousekewitz
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

I just want to say too I played the ever living piss out of dimensions, mastered all jobs and all that. I enjoy RPG's on mobiles, fite me.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lord Longhaft
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus
    WoW Realm
    Mug'thol

Quote Originally Posted by Lonely View Post
    Uh, you do realize that's the point right. ATB is a nostalgia spinoff, do people think all those assets are sacred or something and shall not ever be touched? lol.
    Um. Yes? I do? Next question?

If you think this issue is as seriously as a black and white to "core gamers" adopting some "us vs. them" mentality, then this is the last time I'll be referencing one of your posts, as its not worth the time. This entire mobile gaming development is one of the most polarizing grey areas to hit a form of media in years. Its still unknown just how much it will help or hurt major developers in terms not only of profits, but of critical reception and the direction of future games and entertainment projects.

RPGs are the only genre I'd be interested in playing on a mobile. It's obvious you can make something low maintenance that's fun on mobiles, especially for a generation that enjoyed those RPGs as kids. Generally I look at those games differently than console or even handheld RPGs. Generally I'd say that mobile gaming is good if done right, which it mostly isn't.

Absolute Messenger of Promathia
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Blaise Destin
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Asura

This, the amount of prejudice from "core gamers" when it comes to mobile gaming is astounding. All the arguments to mobile gaming can pretty much be summed up as.
    I have an argument against it that isn't just "I hate it so i hate you for not hating it". They're poor quality in most cases and just minimum effort. While some can be fun and addicting, they aren't what all of us want from Video games... that being cheaply made, cash-shop, money grabs with AAA names to hook us in. If Blizzard taught us anything with Diablo 3, no matter how awful a game is it'll sell like a MF if its attached to a name people love, Which is likely why Breath of Fire VI, a Mobile game, is a numbered installment, hoping to rope in people who like the series.

Still, that out of the way. I think if a company is smart they will play the mobile market and use those profits to fund new AAA console games. Use the profits from the casual Mobile market to fund all the games on Consoles we've come to love.

I don' hate the Mobile market, I fear what it could mean for some beloved series as all they have to do is tie a popular name/faces to a cheap game and sell bunches even if its crap because by the time people realize its crap thousands have bought it and they've already well made back their investment... and I'm upset when i read sequels to games i wanted for a while and turn out to be Cash-Shop money grabs, while I know i can skip it it still hits you deep, like when I saw a "The World Ends With You" announcement and it turns out to be 50% of a Mobile port...

Mobile Markets are popular, and they make money, despite how some of us feel towards it. I'd be lying if i didn't dabble in Facebook games now and again cause they're addicting in a Arcade-Game sorta way that they keep eating your quarters and you don't know why. they're fun, and i see the possible positives in them, But I understand the fear/hatred some folks have of them, as I once had them.

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Meek Marcello
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

It's the direction the game industry is going problem, not the mobile market for some of those 'poor quality titles'. Don't blame iPad or Windows Phone 7 for shit like Breath of Fire VI. Expect to see more companies cashing in on popular titles on your PC, your Vita, and your PS4 and in game purchases for easy mode like Dead Space 3 had.

Absolute Messenger of Promathia
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Blaise Destin
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Cash Shop/DLC on Consoles and the fucking-stupid of companies like EA I'd rate as a different problem, Not one I'm going to get into and not the point I was trying to convey. Though its something I do see as an annoyance, and can even cause the death of a game (Like say, Playstation All-Stars having DLC Characters most would have bought the game to play us, but now they're cancelled cause the game canned as they tried to keep characters for more money rather than release em for the start).

Kind why Nintendo does so well despite all...

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Miya Kai
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

The nearly complete lack of cash shops and DLC from Nintendo reinforces the feeling that you're always buying a quality, polished end product that wasn't potentially stopped short and had its development efforts split between the main title and add-ons. Because of how rampant these cheap, mindless, novelty aesthetics and pay-to-win pieces of shit run everywhere else, you always have the question in the back of your head that the full potential of the game you're buying was cut back to make room for planned DLC.

Square-Enix has not only crossed that line big time, they are letting it taint the integrity of one of their most valuable franchises. They have always been a huge step behind most western-based companies and they are only recently learning, over here, how slippery that slope is. It's going to be some time before a company as close-minded and stubborn as Square-Enix realizes they are shooting themselves in the foot in the long-run for a quick cash grab to get their company out of the red.

filthy liars!
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Deuce Angaar
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Diabolos

Square-Enix has not only crossed that line big time, they are letting it taint the integrity of one of their most valuable franchises. They have always been a huge step behind most western-based companies and they are only recently learning, over here, how slippery that slope is. It's going to be some time before a company as close-minded and stubborn as Square-Enix realizes they are shooting themselves in the foot in the long-run for a quick cash grab to get their company out of the red.
    I'd hardly call it a cash grab for Square Enix, one of the largest publishers in the world. They're making a business decision to move into an emerging market because they see an opportunity to create more revenue. If a smaller publisher such as ZeniMax stated they were going to be pushing into the mobile market then I might be a little concerned. However, for square enix, with revenues exceeding $1.28 billion in 2012, I'm not overly concerned, especially when they have FFXV and KH3 on the horizon. Besides, this next console generation should make it easier on a lot of developers because they'll have to spend less time coding for the PS3.

Now if ARR manages to flop somehow....

Yeah, they're fucked if that happens.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lord Longhaft
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus
    WoW Realm
    Mug'thol

It's the direction the game industry is going problem, not the mobile market for some of those 'poor quality titles'. Don't blame iPad or Windows Phone 7 for shit like Breath of Fire VI. Expect to see more companies cashing in on popular titles on your PC, your Vita, and your PS4 and in game purchases for easy mode like Dead Space 3 had.
    I don't blame the iPad or Windows Phone 7 at all. I blame Puzzle & Dragons for the Japanese change (I could care less about the western attempts at mobile games, as they're neither as prevalent or as pervasive) because of its success re-sculpting the landscape of how Japanese developers do buisness. Its no different from someone blaming World of Warcraft for re-sculpting the landscape of how MMORPGs were developed for years on end.

You wouldn't know that though because you've demonstrably never picked up a book nor educated yourself on the matter. Let me guess, overweight housewife?
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Allyra Arianos
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    WoW Realm
    Windrunner

Its no different from someone blaming World of Warcraft for re-sculpting the landscape of how MMORPGs were developed for years on end.
    Those people would be idiots, though.

I'm all for them doing w/e the fuck they want on the mobile market if it keeps the company from going under + giving us more console games.

I equate mobile games to the atari. Fun time wasters that I used to get for a quarter at yard sales. I don't see why EVERY game has to be some insane million+ dollar project. I'm all for the big and the small.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lord Longhaft
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus
    WoW Realm
    Mug'thol

Do you think it'll give us more console games, though, Ksandra? Do you feel that Capcom pushing out half-baked Japanese cash-grab phone game cloned from Puzzle and Dragon's leftovers with a BoF name is going to give us more console games?

You wouldn't know that though because you've demonstrably never picked up a book nor educated yourself on the matter. Let me guess, overweight housewife?
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Allyra Arianos
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    WoW Realm
    Windrunner

Do you feel that Capcom pushing out half-baked Japanese cash-grab phone game cloned from Puzzle and Dragon's leftovers with a BoF name is going to give us more console games?
    We got this didn't we?

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Miya Kai
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

Quote Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
    an emerging market
    I wouldn't consider the mobile platform "an emerging market" at all. It has emerged and people have already taken advantage of it. Now it's plateaued and Square-Enix just found out about it.

filthy liars!
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Deuce Angaar
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Diabolos

Quote Originally Posted by miokomioko View Post
    I wouldn't consider the mobile platform "an emerging market" at all. It has emerged and people have already taken advantage of it. Now it's plateaued and Square-Enix just found out about it.
    True, that probably wasn't the best term to use; however, I believe it is still a developing market.

Some larger publishers, Square Enix in this example, believe that there's more money to be made and I'd have to agree with them. We've only had a few titles become mega hits on mobile, angry birds, being one of them, which shows the market is there and willing.

Do you think it'll give us more console games, though, Ksandra?
    In the context of hoping cheap games fund the bigger ones, if this recent generation has taught me anything regarding the number of handheld RPGs relative to console RPGs, it's that, no, it doesn't help. The fact I haven't plunged into the WPRG fad hasn't really helped me, either. In turn, I don't expect the mobile market to really help consoles or even the handhelds for that matter. If I had to whip up some kind of ratio, it'd be for every 4 or 5 DS games I wanted to play through to the end, maybe there was 1 console RPG. I still need to sit down and play Lost Odyssey sometime, but when I think of memorable RPGs this generation for me, it's only Xenoblade and Tales of Versperia. XIII's on the fence. So, figure I've gone through about 12-15 DS games relative to that with the biggest standout being Radiant Historia, despite its flaws and the feeling to me that the game got rushed to launch at 2/3 completion.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast