Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast
    the whitest knight u' know
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Miya Kai
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

Quote Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
    True, that probably wasn't the best term to use; however, I believe it is still a developing market.

Some larger publishers, Square Enix in this example, believe that there's more money to be made and I'd have to agree with them.
    Oh, for sure, there is definitely money. It's quick and easy (recycling artwork and slapping it into the skeleton of a worthless pay/tap-to-win game) but it comes at a price. Since they have repeatedly proven to be completely behind the times at every turn, I just don't think Square-Enix has any clue what long term effects this has on the integrity of one of their most valuable franchises. The more they continue to release sloughs of "Final Fantasy" titles that were built around DLC, pay-to-win, or feel incomplete before you fork out another $5, the more the customer is going to second-guess that the $59 price tag on the next big title isn't going to get them $59 worth of content/fun.

This wouldn't be nearly as bad if they stated this was something they were doing on the side or in addition to the usual huge productions, but they are explicitly stating that this is something they want to focus on. Not the best division of efforts.

The Defense is ready, Your Honor
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lord Longhaft
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus
    WoW Realm
    Mug'thol

Quote Originally Posted by Ksandra View Post
    We got this didn't we?

I wasn't aware that a yet-to-launch mobile cashgrab from Capcom had any bearing on that game's release, but perhaps you know more about it than I do.

You wouldn't know that though because you've demonstrably never picked up a book nor educated yourself on the matter. Let me guess, overweight housewife?
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Allyra Arianos
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    WoW Realm
    Windrunner

Quote Originally Posted by Lucavi View Post
    I wasn't aware that a yet-to-launch mobile cashgrab from Capcom had any bearing on that game's release,
    wat. You asked me if I thought capcom was gonna get more games on the console. That is another game on the console. idgi.

I don't even know why we're talking about capcom anyway (since this is a thread about SE). As long as they keep remastering snes games and keep giving me RE games (fuck the haters) I am happy. I hate the BoF series, so couldn't care less about what they do to it.

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Six Souls
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Malorne
    Blog Entries

... Next, let me comment on the earnings model. In the online game area, including games for mobile devices, flexible pricing models represented by free-to-play (“F2P”) have become mainstream. Sales units of F2Pbased games are not physical discs, but rather are in-game items or virtual currency. Therefore, the F2P model is flexible in that earnings are adjustable according to players’ demand without any restriction on distribution of game products. My aim here is not to discuss the dichotomy between F2P and the fixed pricing model, but I would like to put emphasis on the major transformation of the game-playing environment in these days and big changes in consumer preferences regarding games. Devices for playing games are undergoing a rapid evolution and customer requirements for game experiences are becoming diversified accordingly. Consequently, the time has come for us game makers to take more flexible approaches in offering games and to devise various earnings models conforming to customers’ game-playing environments, moving away from the limited outlet of disc-based distribution of games. In this current of change, it is extremely important for the HD games category to enable transition from a disc-based earnings model to a more flexible one. This will define the future way we pursue HD games development...

Yosuke Matsuda - President and Representative Director

THIS IS BREGOR'S STORY
    Beard +1

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

moving away from the limited outlet of disc-based distribution of games.
    No, fuck you.

Pandemonium
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

It is the way of the future. Don't deny it.

P.S.: I told you so.

Custom Title
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    Blog Entries

why not?
    i'm so glad Seekers of Adoulin launched with a download version.

purely disc-based distribution is outdated and a good portion of those who prefer physical copies have interest as collectors rather than for the convenience of receiving the content.

other payment models are definitely a step in the right direction. the real issue really is in how they balance this out and whether they can utilize it in a way that people don't generally feel ripped off.

right now my biggest qualm is that i'm paying more per month for a 11 year old MMO than a brand new one. it makes no sense no matter how i look at it, save for the fact that it just happened to be that way already.

I Am, Who I Am.
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Trixi Sephyuyx
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Quote Originally Posted by Spira View Post
    why not?
    i'm so glad Seekers of Adoulin launched with a download version.

purely disc-based distribution is outdated and a good portion of those who prefer physical copies have interest as collectors rather than for the convenience of receiving the content.

other payment models are definitely a step in the right direction. the real issue really is in how they balance this out and whether they can utilize it in a way that people don't generally feel ripped off.

right now my biggest qualm is that i'm paying more per month for a 11 year old MMO than a brand new one. it makes no sense no matter how i look at it, save for the fact that it just happened to be that way already.
    Yup. They better do something about the monthly pricing, or 11 will be getting dropped. I don't see why 11 isn't less by now, gone f2p, or has some sort of XIV/XI bundle like they used to. I also have a bone to pick with how much XIV costs, but meh.

On topic.. I like disk games because I get swag. I bought ARR CE just for the goodies, even though I already had the game for free.

Pandemonium
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Quote Originally Posted by SephYuyX View Post
    Yup. They better do something about the monthly pricing, or 11 will be getting dropped. I don't see why 11 isn't less by now, gone f2p, or has some sort of XIV/XI bundle like they used to. I also have a bone to pick with how much XIV costs, but meh.
    FFXI is incredibly profitable, and one of the only reasons FFXIV is allowed to exist.

I don't know why people insist on believing something that isn't true.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lord Longhaft
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus
    WoW Realm
    Mug'thol

Quote Originally Posted by Kohan View Post
    FFXI is incredibly profitable, and one of the only reasons FFXIV is allowed to exist.

Because they don't want to pay those prices for that game.

You wouldn't know that though because you've demonstrably never picked up a book nor educated yourself on the matter. Let me guess, overweight housewife?
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Allyra Arianos
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    WoW Realm
    Windrunner

Because they don't want to pay any money for video games.
    ftfy

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Meek Marcello
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

Disc only fucking sucks. It's 2013 the year of our lord. For 40$ I would have snatched KH 1.5 HD right now like I did for DD:DA if it was up on PSN but nope.

I Am, Who I Am.
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Trixi Sephyuyx
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Quote Originally Posted by Kohan View Post

Obviously, that was never the argument.

The issue is that it's an 11 year old game and shouldn't be the same cost after all this time, and also cost the same as XIV.

Now that XIV is good, and people are actually wanting to play it, who is going to keep both XI and XIV subscriptions? (obvious statement of some people like XI over XIV). I'm sure that is going through SEs heads, and I'm almost certain they'll be adjusting the pricing down the road, but it wont happen any time soon, so using it as a personal argument for myself to convince myself it's time to bow out.

I'm a special snowflake and I should get something for dumping 11 years worth of subscription fees in to SE. It's my money and I want it now.

Hopefully more people will do the same and drop their XI subs so SE works on this sooner than later. There should be no reason why both of these games cant share a subscription deal of a max of $20. I can only hope it will end up much lower than that, but lol.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lord Longhaft
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus
    WoW Realm
    Mug'thol

You got something alright: the joy that came with dumping all your money into SE all those years.

Relish the memories. Each and every one of them.

I Am, Who I Am.
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Trixi Sephyuyx
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

You got something alright: the joy that came with dumping all your money into SE all those years.

Relish the memories. Each and every one of them.
    I being facetious mostly about the back pay thing, but going forward I do expect some sort of pricing overhaul. Even though XI and XIV are for the most part two separate entities, they should take a look at how they can mingle them.

My pic folder is some gigs+ worth of 1mb .jpgs lol.
    It's funny to see the volume of pictures per year, the last couple have been dismal.

New Odin
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by SephYuyX View Post
    The issue is that it's an 11 year old game and shouldn't be the same cost after all this time, and also cost the same as XIV.
    I understand your argument but I don't see how this would work in practice.

The sub numbers have been dropping steadily since what, 2005? In other words they are acquiring less and less revenue but are expected to put in the same effort (or more effort). Now on top of this situation they should drop the price of the sub fee, further decreasing their revenue stream? I mean they could do that but as a business I don't see the players getting anything but the short end of the stick in the process.

I Am, Who I Am.
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Trixi Sephyuyx
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Quote Originally Posted by Hyan View Post

The sub numbers have been dropping steadily since what, 2005? In other words they are acquiring less and less revenue but are expected to put in the same effort (or more effort). Now on top of this situation they should drop the price of the sub fee, further decreasing their revenue stream? I mean they could do that but as a business I don't see the players getting anything but the short end of the stick in the process.
    Truetrue, but there has to be a balance though.

They have been net decreasing since 2005 i'm sure. Abyssea brought some in I'm assuming, and maybe SoA too, but over all going down.

I can only imagine the current XI crowd is a unique crowd. WoW people never got in to it, old XI players have left for other games after getting tired of SEs crap, so who plays XI still? Are they people who will get up and leave XI for XIV since it's another SE MMO which gives them XI feels?

So at what point are they willing to sacrifice losing a whole sub, vs just losing a few dollars per sub?

Custom Title
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Hyan View Post

you're looking at it too simply.
    price has to be weighed against the number of subscriptions that such a price can demand.

if FFXI were substantially cheaper, there would likely be a number of people who would jump on board to play it but have been holding back because of price among other issues, or players who have wanted to return (which is an easier and bigger market for revenue than newcomers). the balance question is how much lower would FFXI's subs drop that it would attract more subscriptions and not face a reduced income stream (or potentially increase it)

or to put it another way. if you had someone who wanted to play an FF MMO and would pick only 1 to dedicate himself to, when you put XI and XIV side by side, the odds likely skew in XIV's favor when you put everything else relative to its price. Both are great for SE, and this would help bring much needed player volume for XIV to get the publicity it needs.. but if the choice is always clear cut, then the pricing model is flawed if they intend to continue XI (which they do) because they're effectively killing it in the long run.

Blue Magic is Best Magic
    BG Level

You people act like 12 dollars is so much money lol. One less trip to a fast food place a month?

Pandemonium
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Not only that, but SE doesn't need a lot of subscribers to maintain FFXI's profitability. Keep in mind that "EverQuest" didn't become F2P until it was thirteen years old, and that FFXI went a long way in bankrolling FFXIV—and that, obviously, was recent. That they don't need outside funding in an industry where it's the standard speaks volumes.

As for my interests, I'm one of those since-launch FFXI players who hasn't any interest in FFXIV, but I also understand that there are a lot of foreign players—and not just in Japan—who cannot play FFXIV. Personal computers aren't as ubiquitous everywhere in the world, and many Japanese players especially are still grinding away on PS2s, hence the justification for an Adoulin disc release in that region. That gives FFXI a unique kind of playerbase that EQ didn't have, and it shouldn't be discounted.

That's not to say that I'm opposed to F2P. We've talked about it here on BG before, and I understand how it can work. I know, though, that there isn't any pressing need for SE to switch to that model.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast