BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Fievel Mousekewitz
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

Quote Originally Posted by Kononeko View Post
    All of my money.jpg
    No

You may personally enjoy that, but god damn that would sink SE.

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Quote Originally Posted by Fievel View Post
    No

Honestly, what I think needs to happen is that the Japanese side of things retreats into a cave think about the last 10 years. While the Eidos side of things continues to make good games and print money.

You wouldn't know that though because you've demonstrably never picked up a book nor educated yourself on the matter. Let me guess, overweight housewife?
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Allyra Arianos
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    WoW Realm
    Windrunner

This, seriously. Not one port of the old games has "ruined" them in any way, shut the fuck up with that shit. You people just love to bitch about shit, god damn.
    To be fair, Chrono Trigger port made me want to stab myself in the eye and cry because I wanted it so badly, and the menus were soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo slow. How they fucked that shit up I will never know.

But ya, other than that they've been fine imo.

Pandemonium
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

No

It would depend upon how far they were going to take the "HD" aspect. If it didn't involve creating, animating, implementing, and testing new 3D models (which would indeed be a huge undertaking), it wouldn't be bad at all.

Reskinning the game, and then testing whether it displays correctly at higher resolutions or not, would be a much simpler yet still very visually attractive means of making FFXI "HD." It wouldn't require touching the code itself, as FFXI can already natively handle displaying at many resolutions beyond those originally offered. (If it couldn't, people wouldn't have been able to manually adjust their registry settings to use them; the game wouldn't have run.) That cuts the modeling team and developers right out, leaving just the artists.

Considering how incredibly profitable FFXI is for Square Enix, they most certainly are not going to stop supporting it anytime soon. Anyone who believes as much does not understand how the MMO industry works. Whether they decide to polish it up or not as part of their support, however, is entirely up to them. It would be a good move, and would work toward preserving their playerbase, but would likely require abandoning PS2 altogether.

So, in summary: money isn't the problem—PS2 limitations are.

But I don't want my title changed
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Fievel Mousekewitz
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

Quote Originally Posted by Kohan View Post
    It would depend upon how far they were going to take the "HD" aspect. If it didn't involve creating, animating, implementing, and testing new 3D models (which would indeed be a huge undertaking), it wouldn't be bad at all.

Reskinning the game, and then testing whether it displays correctly at higher resolutions or not, would be a much simpler yet still very visually attractive means of making FFXI "HD." It wouldn't require touching the code itself, as FFXI can already natively handle displaying at many resolutions beyond those originally offered. (If it couldn't, people wouldn't have been able to manually adjust their registry settings to use them; the game wouldn't have run.) That cuts the modeling team and developers right out, leaving just the artists.

Considering how incredibly profitable FFXI is for Square Enix, they most certainly are not going to stop supporting it anytime soon. Anyone who believes as much does not understand how the MMO industry works. Whether they decide to polish it up or not as part of their support, however, is entirely up to them. It would be a good move, and would work toward preserving their playerbase, but would likely require abandoning PS2 altogether.

I don't disagree with that, the part I was disagreeing with was the "give full attention to". An HD remake of 11 should not be the primary focus of SE.

Reskinning the game would be a fantastic idea, it keeps people interested. It's pretty much all they're doing to FFX and look how many people are amped up about that.

Basically, I agree with you entirely, axing PS2 and reskinning the game would be a great move for SE. I just drew issue with it being their main focus, or them doing a full remake. I'm not one of the people who screams dead game dead game over and over and ignores the fact that it's still profitable.

Quote Originally Posted by Ksandra View Post
    To be fair, Chrono Trigger port made me want to stab myself in the eye and cry because I wanted it so badly, and the menus were soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo slow. How they fucked that shit up I will never know.

But ya, other than that they've been fine imo.
    I loved the Chrono Trigger iOS port

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Quote Originally Posted by Kononeko View Post
    Honestly, what I think needs to happen is that the Japanese side of things retreats into a cave think about the last 10 years. While the Eidos side of things continues to make good games and print money.
    Except Eidos isn't printing them much money apparently. Wada stepped down because Sleeping Dogs, Hitman and Tomb Raider underperformed. Of course them not releasing shit from their Japanese side isn't helping either.

RNGesus
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lenette Valkyr
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

Those games didn't underperform. They did very well for what they were. It's just SE had unrealistic expectations of those games. 5M+ sales? Come on.

You wouldn't know that though because you've demonstrably never picked up a book nor educated yourself on the matter. Let me guess, overweight housewife?
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Allyra Arianos
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    WoW Realm
    Windrunner

I loved the Chrono Trigger iOS port
    I meant the ps and I think ...ds? (there was another one that was basically a direct port of the ps version, but I forget which system it was on).

Quote Originally Posted by Alkar View Post
    Except Eidos isn't printing them much money apparently. Wada stepped down because Sleeping Dogs, Hitman and Tomb Raider underperformed. Of course them not releasing shit from their Japanese side isn't helping either.
    SE have terrible PR, don't buy into this shit. TR sold insanely well. You are actually proof of how terrible they are at PR since most people think it did bad when it was amazing.

RNGesus

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lenette Valkyr
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

The DS version menus are fine. I swear I've told you this another time it came up

The PS1 Chrono Trigger and FFIV menu load times were brutal.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Allyra Arianos
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    WoW Realm
    Windrunner

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrath View Post
    The DS version menus are fine. I swear I've told you this another time it came up

The PS1 Chrono Trigger and FFIV menu load times were brutal.
    ya ya, there was another port though of it. gdi now you are making me unlazy and need to look it up.

It was the PSN network one.

RNGesus

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lenette Valkyr
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

Not surprised about that. They probably just put the PS1 version directly there. Most PS1 classics are that way I think.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Allyra Arianos
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    WoW Realm
    Windrunner

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrath View Post
    Not surprised about that. They probably just put the PS1 version directly there. Most PS1 classics are that way I think.
    ya, it was sad though. Was so pissed at the ps1 version I was hoping they would have at least fixed it before putting it on the network (especially since I don't have a DS!)

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Look its not like se is hurting for money they just over forecast on some games by a stupid amount and in some cases and in others just barely missed them. (Well as barely as a quarter mill is anyways.) But still you have to figure that Tomb Raider sold at least a mill on PC, and who knows how much that ATI pack in deal was worth. I'm just saying that se has under preformed for a few quarters now and changes needed to happen, with that said I wouldn't mind some more changes if they go a bit more towards the Yoshi-p enlightenment style.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QP-K...e_gdata_player

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Woah, wtf? I never said these games sold badly, I said they underperformed because they did. Yes, SE had insane expectations but that doesn't change the fact that those games didn't perform as well as they were hoping.
    RE6 sold just as much as 5 yet Capcom considers the game a failure because they wanted to sell 2-3 more millions. The game sold well but it did underperform.

The Defense is ready, Your Honor
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lord Longhaft
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus
    WoW Realm
    Mug'thol

Quote Originally Posted by Kohan View Post
    I see two issues with this:

1) Japan supports consoles over PCs, which is fine for an ass-sitting enjoyment standpoint, but terrible for a freedom standpoint: in this case, a "lets continue to upgrade the game since people continue to pay to play it" standpoint, which cannot happen when such a wide chunk of the user-base is obsessed with playing an online game on a perpetually dead system , that has no chance of upgrading itself or becoming stronger as time goes on.

2) SE has catered to and designed for the console market for such a long time, when coupled with the fact that they're always 30 steps into the past with their game design anyway, I don't see them ever being able to take advantage of new features that advancing technology allows for. Hell, even with XIV 1.0, without being on console, was still designed with the same clunky-ass menu-based UI as the original FF over 20 years ago. I mean, really?

So basically, happy trails, SE. You'll never adapt, so you'll have to keep praying that the stuffy games you release will always continue to garner the massive sales that they used to. There's no future for you when you refuse to embrace the future outside of porting shit to phones for a quick buck.

Oh, and especially when you use metacritic as your barometer as to how to gauge sales expectations.

Pandemonium
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Quote Originally Posted by Lucavi View Post
    So basically, happy trails, SE. You'll never adapt, so you'll have to keep praying that the stuffy games you release will always continue to garner the massive sales that they used to. There's no future for you when you refuse to embrace the future outside of porting shit to phones for a quick buck.
    It is the truth, and it has been for many years. This isn't a recent development, but they were literally riding on the money of their faithful fans while churning out increasingly mediocre products.

In relation to FFXI, at least, they can afford to be perfectly comfortable—for now.

Quote Originally Posted by Naoki Yoshida
    “Most MMOs have investors in the background, and the company uses the profit and splits the profit with the investors. But, if the game's not successful, and it doesn't reach the target, then they have to switch to free-to-play to try and get just a little profit from it,” Yoshida said. “Among the MMOs in the market, only Blizzard and Square Enix are making money without investors in the background.”
    He is correct, which is why anyone who claims that FFXI is going away anytime soon is misinformed. It could remain profitable well into the future, and quite possibly become the only thing that keeps Square Enix afloat.

He also acknowledges SE's tremendously foolish misstep:

Quote Originally Posted by Naoki Yoshida
    Yoshida, now in the director's seat, had no hesitation in criticizing what he found when he first came to work on [FFXIV]. “What I found were two things,” he told me through an assigned translator. “The first one was us as a company being too comfortable in the Final Fantasy franchise. We took it for granted. We thought, 'Whatever game we make, players will play it.' I think that was a very big mistake we made.”
    http://penny-arcade.com/report/artic...ins-why-he-cou

Which is something they already publicly acknowledged some time ago, as you surely remember:

Quote Originally Posted by Yoichi Wada
    Wada said of the problematic Final Fantasy XIV, "The Final Fantasy brand has been greatly damaged."
    http://andriasang.com/comyby/

FFXIV was their wake-up call. It was much overdue. What other people had already noticed (beyond their white-knighting fanbase) wasn't apparent to them until it slapped them in the face.

Old Odin
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Quote Originally Posted by Lucavi View Post
    I see two issues with this:

1) Japan supports consoles over PCs, which is fine for an ass-sitting enjoyment standpoint, but terrible for a freedom standpoint: in this case, a "lets continue to upgrade the game since people continue to pay to play it" standpoint, which cannot happen when such a wide chunk of the user-base is obsessed with playing an online game on a perpetually dead system , that has no chance of upgrading itself or becoming stronger as time goes on.

2) SE has catered to and designed for the console market for such a long time, when coupled with the fact that they're always 30 steps into the past with their game design anyway, I don't see them ever being able to take advantage of new features that advancing technology allows for. Hell, even with XIV 1.0, without being on console, was still designed with the same clunky-ass menu-based UI as the original FF over 20 years ago. I mean, really?

Oh, and especially when you use metacritic as your barometer as to how to gauge sales expectations.
    ^This pritty much, when I was young I played alot of JRPGs, but I stoped touching them like what 6-7 years ago when I tried a western style RPG and was amazed how much freedom you have there o.o. I cant go back to JRPGs anymore with the same stupid formula and identic storys, especially after skyrim not. Its just boring as shit. I stoped finishing JRPGs ----> that lead to buying less JRPGs -----> not buying them at all now. Stuff is just boring :/

I am not saying they should make western RPGs, but come on mix your JRPGs up with the freedom/good things western RPGs have and you might go into a good direction.

Shimmy shimmy ya shimmy yam shimmy ya

BG Level

Create new interesting IP's and revive forgotten ones. Remakes can go eat a bag of dicks.

I'm sick of the remastered shit. SE needs to hire and foster new talent, which I have doubts they are capable of