+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Blizzard buys IPL     submit to reddit submit to twitter

blax n gunz
    BG Level

Blizzard buys IPL

[link deleted]

So at least we know who will be covering the blizzcon tournament. Implications for games beyond Blizzard DOTA or Starcraft II weren't made clear but I doubt they'll go out of their way to show, for example, LoL or fighting games anymore.

LazyShell
    BG Level

I doubt they'll use the IPL guys for Blizzcon, at least for casters. They'll probably still fly in tastosis/apollo/day9/whoever for their big finals so it doesn't feel like a step-down in terms of production value.

Honestly, I don't know what the IPL guys are actually going to be doing. They've already pinned all the WCS stuff in NA to MLG, and they want to avoid as much online play as possible in the first place. I doubt they will pull off any more huge live events like IPL5, that would be pretty conflicting with existing WCS stuff. They aren't likely to do anything non-Blizzard anymore as well, it would be a bit strange for Blizzard to directly promote any other games for any reason.

Maybe they'll host another online team league, that was IPL's second most popular feature as far as I can tell, and was entirely online. It probably wouldn't be particularly important/big, but could at least provide a lot of good games (not unlike their previous team leagues).

Ridill
    BG Level

My guess is they'll be working on clients to make the games stream themselves instead of having to watch streamed video.

LazyShell
    BG Level

Blizzard has partnered pretty heavily with twitch for WCS though and none of the IPL guys are in that kind of development tech as far as I'm aware, more on the production/casting side.

Certified Enhancement Shaman
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Meph Taru
    FFXIV Server
    Diabolos

Quote Originally Posted by Plow View Post
    My guess is they'll be working on clients to make the games stream themselves instead of having to watch streamed video.
    oh god yes, why dont we have this already?

Ridill
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by geno View Post
    Blizzard has partnered pretty heavily with twitch for WCS though and none of the IPL guys are in that kind of development tech as far as I'm aware, more on the production/casting side.
    I was under the impression they had done a lot of the hard work of creating the clients the announcers and shit use that we then get video of streamed to us.

Quote Originally Posted by Meph View Post
    oh god yes, why dont we have this already?
    no fucking idea honestly, especially considering the fantastic record game feature of age of empires which is what brought GC into the industry in the first place