+ Reply to Thread
Page 143 of 143 FirstFirst ... 93 133 141 142 143

Not all criminals are violent offenders (in fact, the vast majority are not), but yes, the obvious discussion at hand is regarding the most violent criminals.

Yoshi P
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ramuh

I'm heavily against the death penalty short of photographic proof of a crime on top of everything else. With that said I'm fine with both outcomes here. The only reason for this trial is so see to it he can not do this again, there is no rehabilitation to be had here. I could care less at the coast one way or another in his case, same goes with being humane.

Life is just fine with me so long as he will never talk to anyone but prison guards the rest of his life, no family visiting or anything.

Do whatever makes the world feel better about themselves as at the same time he can't even speak about helping someone do it again or even hear about the outside world. I want zero chance this guy will persuade or help anyone ever again.

You wouldn't know that though because you've demonstrably never picked up a book nor educated yourself on the matter. Let me guess, overweight housewife?
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Allyra Arianos
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    WoW Realm
    Windrunner

Quote Originally Posted by Blubbartron View Post
    Not all criminals are violent offenders (in fact, the vast majority are not), but yes, the obvious discussion at hand is regarding the most violent criminals.
    This.

I stated that we severely lack in the area of rehabilitation as is. Our programs fail at that part, currently. That doesn't mean I can't support us improving on those programs.

No where did I say this particular guy could be rehabilitated. I highly doubt it. I would be fine with them trying in an attempt to be more humane for those spouting that locking him up is worse than death. But no, I do not have any expectations they would succeed enough that he would be released.

[edit] Court proceedings (the original topic that I came here for) are not necessarily for protecting someone like him, but anyone else who we may have questionable doubt. I do not want parameters at all on who we bother with and who we don't. Better safe than sorry.

RNGesus
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lenette Valkyr
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

A different perspective/reason for not seeking death penalty

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/p...lty/?tid=sm_fb

Parents of 8-year-old killed in Boston Marathon bombing ask prosecutors not to seek the death penalty

“We understand all too well the heinousness and brutality of the crimes committed,” they said. “We were there. We lived it. The defendant murdered our 8-year-old son, maimed our 7-year-old daughter, and stole part of our soul.”

If the jurors do sentence Tsarnaev to death, that “could bring years of appeals and prolong reliving the most painful day of our lives,” the Richards said. That lengthy process could also lead to their surviving children growing up with an ongoing reminder of what the family lost, they added.

I guess theres a rule about not quoting full articles...? So I just did excerpt

The Shitlord
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kharo Hadakkus
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    WoW Realm
    Rivendare

rule is 5 sentences max. cos quoting full articles is how we got slapped with a C&D from those gaming sites that shall not be named.

Hydra
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Tsarnaev just got sentenced to death. No obvious news links on teh interbutts atm, still fresh.

Ninja Ninja
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Noemi Rondain
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix

And now everyone gets to see the endless appeals court circuit. Wonderful.

BEAHCAT
    BOSTON'S FINEST

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Mith Lothaire
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix
    WoW Realm
    Cenarius

Quote Originally Posted by Ragnus View Post
    And now everyone gets to see the endless appeals court circuit. Wonderful.
    Great....

Sometimes I wonder why the right to a speedy trial doesn't cover these mandatory appeals for the death sentence. There's purpose in requiring the appeals, as a precautionary measure and in the interest of justice, but it's just fucking stupid to have the process take 15-20 years.

Caesar Salad
    BG Level

Serious question, would they not appeal if he got life?

That would kind of be up to him, I believe. So... maybe? I honestly don't understand the relevance of the question.

Piece of shit Bruins fan

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Beat Daisukenojo
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion

Quote Originally Posted by Salodin View Post
    Serious question, would they not appeal if he got life?
    He plead guilty to charges with a minimum of life in prison. I believe it would be thrown out.

Caesar Salad
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Blubbartron View Post
    That would kind of be up to him, I believe. So... maybe? I honestly don't understand the relevance of the question.
    Didn't know he plead guilty, so it's moot. But if the lengthy, and costly, appeals are what annoys people it's not like he wouldn't appeal a life sentence any ways. But he pleaded out, so nvm.

Renegade Philosopher
    BG Level

He didn't plead guilty, likely because the prosecutor wouldn't take the death penalty off the table in a plea, hence the main trial (in which he was found guilty on all counts) before the penalty phase which finished today.

Caesar Salad
    BG Level

Ohhh

Black Belt
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Thanks for the update Ramsay