+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: The Evil Within     submit to reddit submit to twitter

I'm gonna get it too but was gonna read what people in here think about it first

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

Picked this up today, just got past Chapter 1. Hoping to get into the meat of it soon.

Impossiblu
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Prothescar Centursa
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

For anyone playing the PC version, do this to make it not shit. Add these lines to your evilwithin config file (C:\Users\Name\Saved Games\TangoGameworks\The Evil Within\base). Set the file to read only when you're finished.

**Console**
    com_allowconsole "1"

** Aspect Ratio **
    R_forceaspectratio "1.8"

** 60 FPS **
    R_swapinterval "-1"

** Shows FPS on Screen **
    Com_showFPS

key to open the console is insert, as long as you add the console line to your cfg file you can run any of these lines in-game to make the changes if you don't want them to be permanent. swapinterval -1 sets the FPS cap to 60 instead of 30, I wouldn't recommend going any higher than 60.

another way to unlock the console:

Right click The Evil Within on your steam library and click Properties. Then click set launch options. Add +com_allowconsole 1.

Full list of console commands:

Spoiler: show

R_swapinterval NUMBER: Sets the FPS lock. Note that the numbers below are negative.
    -2: This is the default, set to 30 FPS. This is the officially supported frame rate.
    -1: This sets the FPS limit to 60. Fully playable, although there may be quirks (we're going to fix these).
    0: This fully unlocks the FPS. We do not recommend playing above 60. We will not fix any issues above 60.

God mode: You are effectively invincible, and certain enemy kill moves will not be used against you (Laura, for example, will not jump on you).

Noclip: Allows you to walk through walls.

G_infiniteammo: Unlimited ammo (provided you have at least 1 bullet when you enable this).

G_stoptime 1: Stops time. Note there is a bug right now where using this command causes a UI element to appear on screen. We're looking to fix that in the near future. Re enable time with g_stoptime 0

Toggledebugcamera: Separates the camera from Sebastian so you can freely move around.

R_forceaspectratio: Sets the aspect ratio. Default is 2.5, which is our official aspect ratio. 0 is full screen, but not ideal. 1.8 or 2 is probably most comfortable for those who don't want bars.

Com_showFPS: Turns on id's native FPS counter.

Startslowmotion2: Slows down time.

Stopslowmotion: Disables slow motion.

Just finished Chapter 3 myself, on lowly console, and I am having fun. Chapter 1 and 2 were a bit meh, but 3 was pretty great. Bat shit insane pretty much, and have have zero idea what the hell is happening story wise (which seems intended at this point) but I am really enjoying it so far. On PS4 and haven't really noticed the frame-rate issues that I had heard were unbearable.

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Titan

Well, I am going to use BG for my decision on getting this game. It is a genre i love but the reviews about the game are not so hot. Take out the aspect ratio and the fps part of it and i still get reviews of a game that does not deliver but has high potential.

I love the genre but not worth $60 for 20 hours of crappy playtime. Is the game worth getting? If so and without spoiling it, why?

After watching someone play chapters 5-7 on twitch, I'm really unimpressed by many aspects of the game; even outside the awful camera/controls, which usually doesn't bother me nowadays.

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Titan

to bad, welp guess im still getting alien isolation.

King Bitcher of Bitchington
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Chuggs M'koul
    FFXIV Server
    Cactuar

Yeah, I watched someone get up to ch. 9 and the story is finally kinda not really mabye(?) coming together. There's supposedly 15 chapters.

Yet another reason I am happy to have Gamefly as it often lets me play games, and appreciate them a bit more having not spent $60 on them. I always forget to mention that when I offer up my opinions of games, and I do think it can be a factor, and why I can overlook a few gripes that may otherwise be an issue.

That said, my opinions of the chapters so far. I will keep them pretty general, and try to avoid spoilers that might upset anyone.

Chapter 1 -
    The intro, obviously just dipping the toe in here as you get a small glimpse into the world. Things look pretty grim, pretty quickly. Tense right away, but largely you are just being taught how stealth works here. Still intense, still fun, pretty short.

Chapter 2 -
    Well here begins the WTFery. I guess some people are viewing it pretty negatively, but I don't WANT to have everything explained in the second chapter. I don't mind how insane everything is... yet. If I make it to the end and nothing is cleared up? Then I would be bothered, but it is the second chapter, just in the the fray. I like the sheer oddity of it all. Other than that, you are still in a bit of a tutorial phase, learning about stealth kills now, about using the gun, using matches, etc. I chose to sneak through this area quite a bit, hunting for every last barrel and box to break and every item scattered around. I watched my friend livestream the same area last night after I had finished playing and he was waaaay more Leeeeroy about it all, and it worked out fine. He missed some collectibles, had less ammo and upgrade points, but still made it through just fine. The area was creepy, dark, and I am loving the sound.

Chapter 3 -
    This is where you finally get tossed into the deep end. You immediately feel almost lost in the level, and if you aren't the greatest at creating a map in your head from landmarks, you can easily get turned around. Again, I chose the stealth approach, eliminating every last Haunted I could find before tackling the 'boss'. I loved the different traps, there was even a jump scare the made me scream at my television. I really enjoyed figuring out how to clear a few of the areas here too, dealing with multiple Haunted and no way to pick them off easily. I am starting to see that the bottle tossing is going to be a pretty heavily used mechanic for a while in these types of areas. I also ended up having a huge amount of upgrade points, and was sort of lost as to where I should put them. In the end I went with mostly upgrading stock for most weapons. Also, the crossbow is fun!
    Again, watching my friend play this chapter, he chose a much more run n gun tactic, paid the price with a handful of deaths and was overall very careless. That said, he is on to Chapter 4 tonight as well, with an entirely different playstyle.

So currently I am having a lot of fun, the game is tense but not overbearing yet. I can't even play Outlast if it is any indication of my threshold. It makes me too anxious, and that bums me out. This feels much more doable though, i don't feel utterly fucked yet. It may get to that point, but it doesn't feel like a Horror game, it feels like Action-Survival.

All of this aside, I have a hard time paying full price for shorter games these days when I can GF em get the full experience in a week or two and send them back and get The Lords of the Fallen and keep on saving.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

I too can't play Outlast unfortunately... I used to be able to play those kind of games, but lately they really get to me. I was very tense and nervous with Evil Within up until Chapter 5. With the "horde" type gameplay, the increase in action and gunning them down immediately has made me less fearful of them. Game definitely has an RE4/TLOU feel to it. I'm enjoying it so far for the most part, but I can only play in spurts lol

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Chuggs M'koul
    FFXIV Server
    Cactuar

Just got done watching someone play it on twitch. The story is absolute fucking trash. If you like to have no idea wtf is going on for 10 hours and just enjoy survival gore/thriller games. You should enjoy it.

Quote Originally Posted by Koul View Post
    Just got done watching someone play it on twitch. The story is absolute fucking trash. If you like to have no idea wtf is going on for 10 hours and just enjoy survival gore/thriller games. You should enjoy it.
    Damn, when I first seen the trailers I thought the story would be decent. I guess I'll wait for it to go down to like 9.99 in this case

I loved it. End of credits screen showed 22 hours 42 mins and 72 deaths.

Not sure why people are expecting an immaculately told story from a horror game. Do any of them have any amazing stories? Really asking, because I can't think of too many similar games that do. Are they not all a bit 'wtf is this weird shit happening for...'?

Zombies? WTF? SPACE ZOMBIES created from a SPACE ROCK?!
    A penal colony built on a Native American burial ground!
    Someone wandered off into a creepy ol' mansion and disappeared and now we must bust in there and use our camera to exorcise the evil!
    Insane Asylum...

I feel like they are, by design, a bit silly/broken/weak. I get it though, if you are looking for a cohesive story, that all lines up perfectly and isn't a little 'uhh... is this a CW show?' then move along, sure.

I loved the game though, and not for the story. The pacing was excellent throughout. It shuffled through all kinds of play types, from sneaking to action, to run for your life, to sniping, puzzles, inventory management, upgrades, and it was all bonkers. It wasn't super scary, and I think that is because you just knew you were safe sometimes. Very very few cheap jump scares, it was more the oppressiveness of the environment and the limited resources you'd find. You could go all out on that boss, but you knew it was likely that very soon you would really miss that wasted ammo.

I really liked the game and I really hope there are more. I will say that the reception has seemed extremely polarized though.

yeah I can't figure out where all the negativity regarding this game is coming from, everyone I know that's actually played the game has loved it.

I am not confused that there is negativity. I mean different strokes, right? My confusion comes more from people that were interested initially that were turned away by the gameplay or story. I absolutely get that those are important things to people, of course. I am just not clear what it was people were hoping this game would be. I know a lot of people expected a true RE4 successor, and some people feel that they got a better RE4, while others feel they got something entirely different and felt lied to.

Coming in a bit more blind myself, I only hoped that the horror and suspense aspect would both be intense enough to make it fun and not so intense as to cause too much anxiety. I was scared plenty of times, shouted at my television a few times due to both frustration and suspense. It was a really fun experience. It was just the right amount of scary to me.

Don't get me wrong, I am not pretending to know if it is worth $60 to play. I am only saying I had a blast with it, story wtf-ery and all. Yeah the story is just batshit crazy.

Special at 11:30 or w/e
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kalmado Espiritu
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    Blog Entries

I've been trying to play RE4 HD for pc and I really dislike the controls. Maybe when it was released it was ok, but I think they suck.

On topic, I'll wait for this to dip for pc. To be candid, right when I saw commercials of "these are real people" I rolled my eyes. I'd probably be more freaked out playing Manhunt or something.

Yeah, I am not a fan of that marketing, whether it is for a scary movie or otherwise. Looks stupid. I would rather see a bit of what is supposedly scaring them.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Chuggs M'koul
    FFXIV Server
    Cactuar

My expectations with the game were different. I was expecting more survival intense horror rather than action horror/thriller. The game never really scared me just creeped me out. Example. The Silent Hill games scared the shit out of me but the first movie (I enjoyed) was just creepy as hell. Which is fine, it just wasn't what I was expecting. I didn't really keep up on it because I wanted to be surprised with everything so that's my fault

after reading on other forums and about the story more, I have a better understanding. It seems pretty typical overall. People are saying there will be DLC from Kidmans perspective which might be more interesting. I know I loved the Whistleblower dlc to outlast more than the main game.

If you like creepy action games with The Last of Us style combat, I'd say pick it up. Just don't expect the writing to be Last of Us tier

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kalmado Espiritu
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    Blog Entries

Any news/word on if this game will have mods for pc? I'm debating if I should get it for that or for PS4 for $15(black friday - $10 in gift cards). Any thoughts?

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kalmado Espiritu
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    Blog Entries

Blarg just bought this for $25 (free actually using kmart points) for ps4. Someone tell me if I should sell it on ebay for a small profit or play it...