• Navigation
+ Reply to Thread

Security Clearance, why u so h4rd to get!?

So went to a Tech Expo meeting yesterday and put in my resume with a bunch of different companies here in the DC/Maryland area for Cyber Security/System Administration and shit since I graduate in May with honors from the local CC with a degree in Network Engineering/Cyber Security.

I've had at least 3 call me back already and say "We would hire you today if you had security clearance".

Shit sucks, since the clearance process needs to be sponsored and costs like 50 grand or something I think, so any small company can't afford it, and any big company doesn't want to pay for it anyways when they can just head hunt for people with clearance.

Shit is balls!

Anyone know a good avenue for getting clearance other then pray to every god known to man to try to get a job that will cover it? My only avenue was a free ride scholarship to a 4year, but the scholarship only covers 2 years and I can't pay for the other 2 years of classes and I dont want to spend 4 more years in college, i'm ready to fucking work.

The Real Cookiemonster
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Dark Depravity
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas

Maybe do a period in the military, wouldn't they need techs in the US, get experience AND clearance?

Nidhogg
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Odin
    WoW Realm
    Lightbringer

Those companies are not hiring you, they would be simply hiring your security clearance. Do not get too upset about 'getting so close' when all they are doing is fishing around to get cheap clearances because they do not want to really pay for them.

Member since 2006 and still can't think of a title.
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Acanis Lindri
    FFXIV Server
    Midgardsormr
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck
    WoW Realm
    Kil'jaeden

See about getting a position in law enforcement doing that. Even as an IT person, cause I have access to systems that could access criminal databases, I had to pass a full background check for my site clearance.

Irish Vagabond
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Meresgi View Post
    Shit sucks, since the clearance process needs to be sponsored and costs like 50 grand or something I think,
    Can you elaborate on the cost? 50k seems completely ludicrous. I recently applied for a visa to live in the states and my employer had to pay 1500$, and that included a million other components, not just the background/ security check.

Is it a super special type of security clearance? Also how does security clearance transfer from job to job? In Ireland when working in any job with vulnerable populations/ information you have to go through a security check for each and every job (sucks cuz it takes like 6 fecking weeks to go through)

One quick google search pulled up this...http://news.clearancejobs.com/2011/0...ity-clearance/

The Anti Miz
    The Anti Miz of the House of Weave

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Meresgi View Post
    So went to a Tech Expo meeting yesterday and put in my resume with a bunch of different companies here in the DC/Maryland area for Cyber Security/System Administration and shit since I graduate in May with honors from the local CC with a degree in Network Engineering/Cyber Security.

I've had at least 3 call me back already and say "We would hire you today if you had security clearance".

Shit sucks, since the clearance process needs to be sponsored and costs like 50 grand or something I think, so any small company can't afford it, and any big company doesn't want to pay for it anyways when they can just head hunt for people with clearance.

Shit is balls!

Anyone know a good avenue for getting clearance other then pray to every god known to man to try to get a job that will cover it? My only avenue was a free ride scholarship to a 4year, but the scholarship only covers 2 years and I can't pay for the other 2 years of classes and I dont want to spend 4 more years in college, i'm ready to fucking work.
    Check out usis. They paid for my buddies top secret when he was out of college. They have offices all over the area.

Check out usis.
    Lol their fucking website, I clicked apply and stared at a blank screen like "what the fuck?" for a minute till I realized it loaded up top and didn't scroll me to the top of the site. Who built this crap? XD

Is it a super special type of security clearance? Also how does security clearance transfer from job to job? In Ireland when working in any job with vulnerable populations/ information you have to go through a security check for each and every job (sucks cuz it takes like 6 fecking weeks to go through)

One quick google search pulled up this...http://news.clearancejobs.com/2011/0...ity-clearance/
    Ahh someone had told me the cost and I thought they said 50, probably heard them say 15 but heard wrong. Either way can't afford that shit on my own!

Clearance is based upon you, so once you get it, it's valid for any job that requires it if you move from a company to another company. As long as you pay I think a yearly amount to keep it updated and not let it lapse you're good.

Black Guy from Predator.
    Uppity Negro
    Secret Admin

The Immortal Bill Duke

BG Level

Hi, it's me, your local military guy again. Clearances run anywhere between 30k-150k, depending on the required clearance, and which certificates they'll require you to be read into. I'm sure there are some places in the civilian sector that will pay for it if you sign on the dotted line with blood, etc, but there is no cheap way to get around it.

Clearance is based upon you, so once you get it, it's valid for any job that requires it if you move from a company to another company. As long as you pay I think a yearly amount to keep it updated and not let it lapse you're good.
    Incorrect. Each clearance lasts for a predetermined amount of time, there is no yearly fee. The higher the clearance, the shorter the duration.

See about getting a position in law enforcement doing that. Even as an IT person, cause I have access to systems that could access criminal databases, I had to pass a full background check for my site clearance.
    Law enforcement or government jobs are how most people come across their clearances. Especially gov't contractors.

Incorrect. Each clearance lasts for a predetermined amount of time, there is no yearly fee. The higher the clearance, the shorter the duration.
    Really? Damn, well I guess once you get in with a company they'll pay to reestablish your clearance when it comes up for expiration.

Law enforcement or government jobs are how most people come across their clearances. Especially gov't contractors.
    Even the gov't jobs and shit require clearance before you start around here in a lot of places, kind of sucks. I know my sister-in-law got in with the CIA as an accountant though w/o clearance (they got her clearance before she started working, but they accepted her application w/o it). I might look into the law enforcement but I dont know much about digital forensics, not that I can't learn that shit easily enough.

sucks balls I got turned down for a free ride scholarship because at the end you were required to work for the government for 2 years in return for the $$.