+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Gilgamesh

Definitely have mixed feelings about this. Bad cause EA. But I gotta tell you Bioware doing a Knights of the New Republic, and Visceral doing an action game couldn't possibly be worse then The Force Unleashed. Dice doing Republic Commando? Only time will tell.

The Defense is ready, Your Honor
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lord Longhaft
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus
    WoW Realm
    Mug'thol

I look at what they did between Dead Space 1 to 3. That was only a few years. People talking about Kotor have to realize that Kotor came out roughly a decade ago. How EA approaches its cash-cow games is drastically different now. Hell, CnC's used to be somewhat decent at that point, and then they released CnC 4, with its always-on nonsense and terrible design.

Ugh, this entire thing reeks. You've got people in here all hopeful for how EA will treat an exclusive license, but ignore how EA already treats an exclusive license: Madden.

Black Belt
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

I think it'll be mainly DICE doing them tbh; I've osme friends that work for DICE Sweden, and they were thrilled about it a few days ago, saying "DICE + StarWars = true " etc.

Annihilation Banwave
    sprout sprout sprout
    2031 No.1 Draft Pick
    Pittsburgh Penguins

Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

EA can suck a cock.

Banned.

BG Level

Haven't give a shit for EA or SW for a while.

/trollmode This is good and you haters of the corporate world can got suck Stalin's cock.

Chram
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Vrumpt Vegallion
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

Quote Originally Posted by mightyg View Post
    Definitely have mixed feelings about this. Bad cause EA. But I gotta tell you Bioware doing a Knights of the New Republic, and Visceral doing an action game couldn't possibly be worse then The Force Unleashed. Dice doing Republic Commando? Only time will tell.
    Really? The Force Unleashed was a great fun game. Short, and not worth the $60 price tag at release, but that was the only real problem with it. If you bought it over the weekend when it was $10 on steam, that was a sweet deal.

If you wanna talk about recent console Star Wars games, I have but one example to point out:

Help us EA. You're our only hope.

RNGesus

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lenette Valkyr
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

Quote Originally Posted by Correction View Post
    I'm sorry I must have missed the last 5 year's Roaring Success Train of quality Star Wars video game releases.
    Pretty much this.

So I'll continue to not have good star wars games to play. No change from the current position.

Member since 2006 and still can't think of a title.
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Acanis Lindri
    FFXIV Server
    Midgardsormr
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck
    WoW Realm
    Kil'jaeden

Quote Originally Posted by vrumpt View Post
    This is where I have to stop you. There is no proof anywhere that the games are going to be shit just because EA is the publisher. Lets look at the past year or two.

SWTOR - Probably the only title here where EA can be seriously blamed for its past and current situation. Half on them for pushing it out too early, half on Bioware for not knowing what the fuck they were doing.
    Battlefield 3 - great game, I very much enjoyed playing it when I was into it.
    Mass Effect 3 - fantastic game, 10/10 excluding the ending fiasco which was Bioware's fault, not EAs. If you want to twist reality to make EA the bad guys and Bioware the saints, thats on you.
    Dead Space 3 - Haven't played it, heard it was great aside from some cash shop BS included with it, but what I've heard said it was overall good.
    SimCity - Good for softcore players, shitty code (Maxis's fault) limits hardcore play. DRM fiasco caused EA to hand out a free game to everybody. EA is punished for their fuck up.
    I'm gonna exclude the annual sports cash grabs.

So putting it all on paper, EA makes good games. Any faults in the game itself is at the mercy of the developer, not the publisher. It's time to stop the EA hate train now.
    Uhh you do realize, especially in the case of Maxis which has been owned by EA for at least 15 years, they are studios in name only. If EA wants someone working there, they will work there. If they don't, they get the boot. There is a reason EA has a reputation of cannibalizing, gutting and destroying publishers.

Chram
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Vrumpt Vegallion
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

Quote Originally Posted by Melena View Post
    Uhh you do realize, especially in the case of Maxis which has been owned by EA for at least 15 years, they are studios in name only. If EA wants someone working there, they will work there. If they don't, they get the boot. There is a reason EA has a reputation of cannibalizing, gutting and destroying publishers.
    Yes, and this is exactly what happened with Bioware Austin after SWTOR launched. They restructured that team so much around this time last year, which is part of the reason content in SWTOR has been really light up until last month. They really didn't go far enough though, there are still people working at Bioware who should be canned for what they did (didn't?) do.

The reason i'm not freaking out over EA getting Star Wars, is that it's probably the best and most realistic place for Star Wars games to be made. The bar for recent star wars games is already pretty low, so they can't really fuck it up any worse than the brand is now (not counting canceled titles that had huge potential like that FPS, any iteration of battlefront 3 or 1313).

Other than EA, where did people actually expect Star Wars games to go? Any company with any kind of name behind it isn't gonna take it because the royalties hit wouldn't be worth it even a little bit. Local IPs where they don't have to give Disney 30% of profits would clearly be better for them. I'm honestly surprised that EA picked them up in the first place. I really didn't think that Disney would be able to find a company willing to make Star Wars games that wasn't a new no-name studio what would end up being worse than LucasArts was at the end.

And even if EA does fuck up and go under (they probably will), so what? Disney didn't sell the rights to them, they'll still have them and take their business elsewhere.

Fuck It, I'm Goin Deep Fan Club President
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ifrit

Quote Originally Posted by miokomioko View Post
    Bring back

My nig

EA makes good games.
    ROFL
    Funniest joke I've heard all week. Actually, the funniest joke was someone defending EA and saying sim city 5 wasn't their fault.

This about sums up my opinion on all of this.

Also rogue squadron and shadows of the empire were godly games.

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus

Quote Originally Posted by TacoTaru View Post
    Besides Rogue Squadron, I fucking loved Shadows of the Empire as a kid.
    Co-signing on this

Pens win! Pens Win!!! PENS WIN!!!!!
    BG Level

Shadows of the Empire was an awesome book.

Pandemonium
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

If EA were smart, they would follow Capcom's "DuckTales" example and remake the Super Nintendo games.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Super_Star_Wars

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Super_S...e_Strikes_Back

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Super_S...rn_of_the_Jedi

It isn't as if there would be a rights issue, as they obviously cleared that up, given that the titles were re-released on the Virtual Console by LucasArts. Since Disney now owns all of LucasArts's former assets, they can license this specifically out to EA.

(And if anyone else steals my idea, I would be cool with royalty checks. Of course, this would require EA to actually produce something relevant to the modern digital download market.)

okay guy I guess
    BG Level

fuck
    http://www.joystiq.com/2013/05/07/av...-wars-open-wo/
    At some point between 2005 and 2009, Just Cause developer Avalanche Studios "almost" signed with LucasArts on a "massive, open world" Star Wars game, according to former Avalanche Studio Manager Oskar Burman and current Chief Creative Officer Christofer Sundberg.

In the wake of EA, including DICE, obtaining exclusive rights to make Star Wars games, Burman tweeted, "Actually, wanting to work with SW goes deep in Swe [Sweden]. Long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away, we almost got that deal when I was at Avalanche."

Avalanche founder Sundberg replied, "If they had given us the deal back then LucasArts would be alive today. A massive SW open world game! We would have rocked it."

Burman, currently General Manager at Rovio Stockholm, worked at Avalanche between April 2005 and May 2009. It's unclear if the deal in question was set aside as LucasArts made Star Wars 1313 an internal project, or if it relates to something separate.

When LucasArts and 1313's demise was announced last month, Sundberg tweeted that staff working on the game had told him it needed another two years to be completed.

When approached, an Avalanche spokesperson declined to comment.

The Defense is ready, Your Honor
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lord Longhaft
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus
    WoW Realm
    Mug'thol

Quote Originally Posted by Shiyo View Post
    ROFL
    Funniest joke I've heard all week. Actually, the funniest joke was someone defending EA and saying sim city 5 wasn't their fault.

This about sums up my opinion on all of this.

Also rogue squadron and shadows of the empire were godly games.
    My god, I love Francis. That single-handedly made my morning.

Annihilation Banwave
    sprout sprout sprout
    2031 No.1 Draft Pick
    Pittsburgh Penguins

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Quote Originally Posted by Qalbert View Post

The Shitlord
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kharo Hadakkus
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    WoW Realm
    Rivendare

I just hope Star Citizen turns out good.

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Vagrant Tarupunter
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

New star wars domains purchased by Lucasfilm the day the EA new was announced. I'm saying no to anything called Gungan Frontier no matter what the hell it turns out to be.

- Lucasfilm has registered a number of new Star Wars-related domains that appear to be for games and/or film projects. Fusible reports that registrations for the following domains were made on Monday, the same day that Disney announced a licensing agreement with EA for new Star Wars games:

* gunganfrontier2.com
    * gunganfrontier3.com
    * gunganfrontier4.com
    * order67.net
    * starwarsalliance.com
    * starwarsrebels.com
    * starwarswolfpack.com
    * wolfpackadventures.net
    * wookieehunters.com

There is no confirmation that this are for games; however, there was a previous kids "Lucas Learning" game titled Gungan Frontier. When contacted for comment, LucasFilm said, "As Luke said, 'I'm ready for anything.' We all want to be like Luke."

As reported today, the earliest we can expect to see any new Star Wars games is April 2014.

The Shitlord
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kharo Hadakkus
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    WoW Realm
    Rivendare

If it's a kids learning game, that wouldn't be bad. Those are supposed to be terrible, because kids have terrible taste. So they could only go up from there.

Also: Contingency Orders. 67 isn't listed, but the canon ones give you an idea of the tone. The bit about Vader suspecting an order regarding him definitely sounds like something that could be turned into a game. The wookieehunters one could maybe refer to the cleansing of Kashyyyk, or the Trandoshan. Or maybe just wookiees hunting stuff. The rest... no idea.