BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Vagrant Tarupunter
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

EA Acquires Star Wars gaming license

StarWars.com just announced that Electronic Arts has locked up a multiyear licensing agreement with Lucasfilm and Disney Interactive to be the exclusive developer of Star Wars titles for the main gaming markets: console, PC, tablet & mobile. While not stating exactly how long the license will last, EA (which includes Bioware, producer of the popular Knights of the Old Republic game and The Old Republic MMO, as well as other EA studios like DICE and Visceral) will pretty much be the only game in town for Star Wars titles, with the exception for some casual games from Disney Interactive.

“Our number one objective was to find a developer who could consistently deliver our fans great Star Wars games for years to come,” said Kathleen Kennedy, President of Lucasfilm. “When we looked at the talent of the teams that EA was committing to our games and the quality of their vision for Star Wars, the choice was clear.”

“This agreement demonstrates our commitment to creating quality game experiences that drive the popularity of the Star Wars franchise for years to come,” said John Pleasants, co-president of Disney Interactive. “Collaborating with one of the world’s premier game developers will allow us to bring an amazing portfolio of new Star Wars titles to fans around the world.”

“Every developer dreams of creating games for the Star Wars universe,” said EA Labels President Frank Gibeau. “Three of our top studios will fulfill that dream, crafting epic adventures for Star Wars fans. The new experiences we create may borrow from films, but the games will be entirely original with all new stories and gameplay.”

Or check out the full press release on EA’s site.
    So look for a bunch of half assed Star Wars games coming in the near future.

Resident Moogle
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Let us hope they have better respect for the Star Wars name than our first gut reaction to the announcement.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ramuh
    WoW Realm
    Kilrogg

Star Wars: The Cash Shop Saga

The Defense is ready, Your Honor
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lord Longhaft
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus
    WoW Realm
    Mug'thol

Quote Originally Posted by Kaisha View Post
    Let us hope they have better respect for the Star Wars name than our first gut reaction to the announcement.
    As if they've done that with any other "name".

It used to be "there's no reason not to trust these guys,"; now its the polar opposite. I have to be proven wrong about my dismal expectations, and that's just sad.

Relic Shield
    BG Level

EA will do so much damage to Star Wars we'll all long for the days when Jar Jar Binks was the biggest problem with the series.

Sandworm Swallows
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Lucavi View Post
    As if they've done that with any other "name".

It used to be "there's no reason not to trust these guys,"; now its the polar opposite. I have to be proven wrong about my dismal expectations, and that's just sad.
    I remember when EA made good games.

BG Medical's Student of Medicine
    BG Level

Well, there goes the franchise. Ready for Call of Jedi: Bounty Hunters 5?

blax n gunz
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Vagrant View Post
    So look for a bunch of half assed Star Wars games coming in the near future.
    I'm sorry I must have missed the last 5 year's Roaring Success Train of quality Star Wars video game releases.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Persona Nongrata
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Ramuh

Quote Originally Posted by Correction View Post
    I'm sorry I must have missed the last 5 year's Roaring Success Train of quality Star Wars video game releases.
    This

We wear wine red on Wednesdays

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Marius Krieg
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

Lol honestly this is the silly truth. The quality of Star Wars games over the past several years have so dreary that it seems like EA, as shitty as they are, has noplace to go but up.

Though.. yeah, there's gunna be a lot of cash grabs. Hopefully we'll get our money's worth, that's all we can hope for at this point.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ramuh
    WoW Realm
    Kilrogg

Quote Originally Posted by kuronosan View Post
    Well, there goes the franchise. Ready for Call of Jedi: Bounty Hunters 5?
    Hey, at least if that is true then we might see the 1333 FPS (or w/e its called) actually finished if it wasn't pure ass

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Vagrant Tarupunter
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Yeah but for the most part Star Wars games were few and far between unless a movie was coming out. Now you'll be seeing multiple games per year to try and make quick money off the name.

Yoshi P
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Fitz Everleigh
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

Please, please, please publish 1313. Also if you could give me a new (non-shitty) Rogue Squadron EA, I'll forgive you for Sim City.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lord Longhaft
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus
    WoW Realm
    Mug'thol

The rogue squadron series was the best thing Star Wars has come out with in years... too bad those, themselves, were years ago.

Fuck It, I'm Goin Deep Fan Club President
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ifrit

although a new xw v. tie would be sick nasty

I feel sick to my stomach

Resident Moogle
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Quote Originally Posted by Cail View Post
    although a new xw v. tie would be sick nasty
    I'd rather not, since it'd be streamlined to the point where a 360/PS3 controller can comfortably play it. A spin-off series like X-Wing Alliance, sure though.

Chram
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Vrumpt Vegallion
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

Look at all these hypocritical motherfuckers up in here. Makes me sick. Think I might just go drop $20 on the cartel shop in SWTOR to help fund the inevitable slew of Star Wars games we'll (finally) be getting.

I'm actually excited to finally get some games now. Battlefront 3 on Frostbite? Fuck yes! I doubt they'll pick up where the last guys left off with 1313 and the old Battlefront 3, but oh well.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lord Longhaft
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus
    WoW Realm
    Mug'thol

How the hell is it hypocritical to call a spade a spade?

blax n gunz
    BG Level

While not hypocritical it's certainly weird to think a video game franchise that is already very, very tainted could get much worse now that EA has exclusive stewardship over it. Apart from x-wing vs. tie fighter I can't think of a single title that would excite me again about the brand.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast