+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Sandworm Swallows
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Ksandra View Post
    Is there any evidence to suggest that legit f2p (like GW2) create more money than the ree-ree ones that are play2win?

Until I see trends that suggest more are going the GW2 route, then I'll still be happy with monthly subs.
    Hear, hear.

Every year or two we are told there is a new trend in MMO's, something different is going to beat WoW.

It still has 8.3 million subs, tons more than the next closest. And it's almost 10 years old.

Sandworm Swallows
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Shiyo View Post
    MOBA pvp isn't fun in 2013 anyways, it was fun in 2003 but not anymore. Smite is the only MOBA I enjoy, and I don't enjoy the "Conquest"(Normal moba) mode of it. It doesn't have RTS view or play like a RTS, it's like an action game and very fluid/fun to play.
    Yeah, because LoL isn't one of the largest games in the world, or one of the most watched e-sports.

Banned.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Shiva
    WoW Realm
    Kil'jaeden

Quote Originally Posted by Scythiroth View Post
    I didn't even know what a moba was and had to look it up. >.> I have no idea why those would even be compared to MMORPGs. Only way I can see people that enjoy MMOs playing moba games is dependant entirely on their interest in PVP. I have 0 interest in PVP and would never play a moba game.
    90% of this forum has moved on from originally playing ffxi to playing rts/moba/fps/whatever street fighter falls under(i've never played), or not playing mmorpgs at all

again, why are people so closed minded that you think that someone who only plays mmorpgs can only enjoy mmorpgs, that's so hilariously sad

He said why they would be compared to MMO's, not that people like MMO's shouldn't like Mobas. The people who play and enjoy mobas are the people who played and enjoyed PVP in WOW, which is also accurate. A MMO is nothing like a moba, and cannot be compared to one at all. What do you raid in a moba? Nothing, you PVP. A raider(99% of wow's population) will not find the same type of enjoyment in a MOBA, the game is nothing like raiding or running dungeons.

Banned.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Shiva
    WoW Realm
    Kil'jaeden

i rarely ever PVP'd in WoW compared to how often i PVE'd. i was like 1400 in 3s and in a top 50 guild on WoW for all the expansions i played.

maybe i'm the minority but i never went out of my way to PVP on any game but i still enjoy LoL and other mobas more than i do mmorpgs. thus my statement

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Dragonblight

i'm one of those subscribers.

game's just stale and boring to me now.

Ridill
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Meresgi View Post
    Which f2p games?
    http://atlantica.nexon.net/

^ fucking amaaaaaazing game, but once you get past the freebie hook you in stuff it's basically shit unless you pay $20-$25 a month, and even then it's only decent unless you either spend a lot or have an amazing support network and are just plain really good at the game

you can maintain yourself pretty solidly once you've got a good start if you're good, but it's not easy

the pvp is absolutely amazing, completely embarrasses any competitive strategy game, real time or not, that I've played since age of empires 2... unfortunately in the end it's straight up pay to win unless you've been in and played a LOT since the very start, and even those people are hugely (I mean HUGEly) outgeared by the big spenders, and basically have to outclass them to the point where their strategies are based around how they're going to deal with X character getting gibbed near immediately

http://2moons.mmosite.com/

really solid dungeons and shit, but you get to a point where you can't even hurt shit without massive investments, plus it's an absolutely insane grind (atlantica is pretty crazy to get near max level as well, and they keep raising the cap making it even crazier)

that one also has a pretty good pvp system, although it's really strict and can be hard to find willing participants, there's a whole jail and turning your name red making you a high value target that can't punish people for attacking you system

the combination of awesome movesets and great level design made the early-mid solo dungeons in that game some of the most fun I've had in an mmo, unfortunately the f2p/grind wall sets in around level 55, which isn't really all that high

those are the 2 off the top of my head that I was thinking of as I made that post

One issue I'm seeing with MMORPGs these days is how they're somehow victim of their own impressive amount of content.

What I mean is that you can hop in almost any multiplayer game once a friend suggest you to. Sure, you have to learn the basics and all, but it can be done.
    That means players can move from one game to another, following trends or communities.

But when it comes to games like WoW, FFXI, even GW2, the more time it passes, the more un-interesting a newcomer's experience becomes. Sure, all those games added Exp bonuses, grind easiness, recruit-friends, etc... but those are just ways to "butcher" content by rushing through it. Besides, even with such boosts, a newcomer still needs to spend A LOT of time grinding, just to get on par with those same friends that invited him in.

Quote Originally Posted by Tomino View Post
    One issue I'm seeing with MMORPGs these days is how they're somehow victim of their own impressive amount of content.
    What I mean is that you can hop in almost any multiplayer game once a friend suggest you to. Sure, you have to learn the basics and all, but it can be done.
    That means players can move from one game to another, following trends or communities.
    But when it comes to games like WoW, FFXI, even GW2, the more time it passes, the more un-interesting a newcomer's experience becomes. Sure, all those games added Exp bonuses, grind easiness, recruit-friends, etc... but those are just ways to "butcher" content by rushing through it. Besides, even with such boosts, a newcomer still needs to spend A LOT of time grinding, just to get on par with those same friends that invited him in.
    True, if anything the exp changes and shit for WoW just made lvling alts even easier, but newcomers still have to deal with some of the same crap while not getting the full leveling experience. To me the whole meat of a MMO is the leveling, end game is great and all but there's just so much content that can be there and it gets swallowed up really fast. This is probably why I went back to playing TERA again, leveling in that game is fun, granted the quests are boring and shit, but grinding as melee or as a healer with a buddy of mine and just AoE cleaving down crowds of mobs and doing dungeons is really damn fun. Leveling once through MoP was fun and interesting, but the other 4 times I did it was just tedious, I mean hell even in WoTLK my 2nd - 4th alt leveling experience was still enjoyable and interesting, Cataclysm and MoP lvling was just crap.

Hoping around MMOs isnt a bad thing, its only bad when the developers toss so much money into them that they need you to stay subbed for 25 years of your life to make their cash back. SWTOR would have been a fine f2p mmo at launch, but they wanted to be the next WoW...and no one is going to be the next WoW not even Titan, because WoW was a fluke