+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Rift: Goes F2P June 12     submit to reddit submit to twitter

Rift's endgame is still raiding. Don't let anyone try to convince you otherwise. Sure, there are other things you can do, but on the progression scale, you'll be a couple tiers behind even if you spend all the significant amount of time with repetition needed to exhaust them. I've called Trion out on it numerous times, usually to have the raider-types jump in to defend their e-peens. At the very least, now I don't have to feel bad about paying for raiders to get new content while I'm just left running around Ashora chasing a zone event I've done dozens of times all over again.

Still wish they'd do a census akin to XI to point out who does what content (via achievements, if anything), but I think they're afraid it'd point out the glaring gaps in what's succeeded and what hasn't. Something like "85% of players at level 60 haven't beaten Endless Eclipse" probably won't be good PR.

New Odin
    BG Level

lol couldn't disagree more about F2P being win/win. Increased competition means if a company wants people to P2P they'll have to work harder than everyone else. You simply can't justify P2P if you don't support the game more than F2P MMO devs. People will just switch the game or stop playing.

Ofc there is a sweet spot when you got enough subs to justify the increased dev costs and thus justify the model. => P2P means better game as long as a certain sub quota is met.

Of course once your playerbase has established itself and become addicted you can start to chill a bit. Basically what WoW and XI started to do after some years (5~6?). That doesn't mean everyone will be shafted though lol. You enjoy constant content updates for half a decade and then drop the game once the company starts feeding you recycled add-on packs.

Old Merits
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura
    WoW Realm
    Emerald Dream

I'll be joining the launch just to see the new expansion and the other changes since quitting it like 2 years a go lol just to waste some time whilst I wait for WildStar and FFXIV. I fucking hate it when people throw around "WoW Clone" but I feel like this game is one of the few that actually deserve it. WoW just do better to disguise it. I will be staying far, far away from End-Game lol.

Bagel
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Deecup Delight
    FFXIV Server
    Cerberus
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Got this game for free when I ordered Defiance on Steam, back then I actually thought it was already F2P and was slightly pissed I didn't gift it to somebody who could be arsed to pay a fee. Now I will give this a whirl though when they go F2P, might be fun.

Relic Weapons
    BG Level

Did they ever fix the horrible server lag? I last played during ID, which was a buggy mess. The high pop servers were the only ones with regular events & pug raids, but the game was virtually unplayable on those servers due to lag. Low pop servers you could raid without lag, but then there was nothing else to do between resets.

Raiders always seem to bitch about lag post-patches. Only time I've really experienced it with any consistency was crowded Volans where there are probably hundreds of people crammed into one tiny area.

Certified Enhancement Shaman
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Meph Taru
    FFXIV Server
    Diabolos

Quote Originally Posted by Siya View Post
    To anyone who claimed the Raptr reward, did you use the code on your old Rift account (actually bought the game/played) and received 30 days of gametime? Just applied my code and got the expansion but no game time. Cause what Rapt says on their website makes no sense "Existing RIFT gamers will receive the expansion for free, plus 30 days of game time (for new accounts)."
    the FAQ says:

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING RIFT PLAYER
    You will only unlock the Storm Legion Expansion. You will NOT be receiving a free 30 days.
    The free 30 days is only designed for new accounts, if you have any concerns with this, you are always welcome to contact Trion's Support Team!

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Shiva
    WoW Realm
    Stormrage

The 30 free days is not only for new accounts. My account was inactive for a year and still received the free month. It's probably designed for new and old inactive accounts.

I gave my free month a short play and was bored within a few hours. The new rogue soul is ridiculously good for solo stuff but i couldn't stand it. It's basically an engineer from GW2, which i also didn't enjoy. I also think I've just had enough of MMO's tying any sort of progress to dailies. Before i hear that dailies are not required, let's be real. Any sort of increase, even if it's +1 stat, is required.

Someone fill me in since I've been out of the loop. I absolutely loved the raiding but couldn't stand how small the pool of solid raiders the game had. It was basically loot good players from failing guilds or die yourself. Are things still like this where there's only like 1 or 2 raiding guilds per server?

Anti-crusade crusader
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

I liked Rift, but I still HATE the reputation grind. My calling (Cleric) was always getting the shaft. Eh, might bring me to log in a few more hours.

Bagel
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Fallaci Isalie
    FFXIV Server
    Ultros
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix

Quote Originally Posted by Alderaan View Post
    Someone fill me in since I've been out of the loop. I absolutely loved the raiding but couldn't stand how small the pool of solid raiders the game had. It was basically loot good players from failing guilds or die yourself. Are things still like this where there's only like 1 or 2 raiding guilds per server?
    Well right now there are only 6 (or 7...?) active shards right? This will give you an idea of at least the top-end of raiding guilds: http://tinyurl.com/SLdragonkills. Those are all the guilds which have done the latest hardmodes. In my opinion most of the players in the game suck. I was an officer for a while for one of the more top-end NA guilds on that list and recruiting for certain classes (Clerics and Rogues in my experience) was usually awful. I had to do a lot of work to help new recruits. I really doubt that this F2P thing is going to make the pool better.

However, none of the content in my opinion requires all 20 to be at the top of their game; not even during progression. Most high end guilds have a decent core of ~10 people that carry and the other 10 do semi-decent to not look like a waste of space. Only during HK did I experience guilds with a near full raid of top performing players.

Little pissed about buying the expansion + 1 year sub deal and getting shafted out of 6 months but oh well. I had already cancelled my sub so I guess I can freely log into raid now without having to worry about justifying a paid subscription.
    I am hoping this transition will help out the PvP aspect of the game because that's all that remains after you've completed your PvE grind.

Member since 2006 and still can't think of a title.
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Acanis Lindri
    FFXIV Server
    Midgardsormr
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck
    WoW Realm
    Kil'jaeden

Quote Originally Posted by arus2001 View Post
    Raiders always seem to bitch about lag post-patches. Only time I've really experienced it with any consistency was crowded Volans where there are probably hundreds of people crammed into one tiny area.
    Arus, as someone who raided end game during this, there was significant lag and it wasn't even being complained about by raiders. It was everyone. The second conquest would start, everyone would wind up with 3-5 second ability lag. It was litterally unplayable for about 2 hours while conquest ran.

Jaffar they did fix it though I haven't played in about 4 months so no clue if it cropped back up. Some events due to cross server populations I heard got pretty laggy (i.e. volun) but overall it wasn't bad.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ramuh
    WoW Realm
    Kilrogg

I frankly like GW2's model... While I personally have nothing against sub fees, B2P works very well for at least GW2. Here the developers at least get some money from everyone playing, and the cash shop is pure fluff stuff, but yet well integrated and thought out to get the collectors and casuals to drop some money for stuff. And if you don't want to drop money you can convert in game gold to cash shop currency. It really is the best of both worlds.

And lets me honest, when I was totally all over GW2 I'd buy all those mini pets, spend tons of money on the RNG stuff, and I guarantee I paid more for GW2 in 3 months than I paid for WoW in 1 year lol. And I know I'm not alone

So I'd personally be fine w/ every mmo now being B2P w/a smart cash shop like GW2, but I still won't believe that most games designed from the ground up as F2P will be smart like GW2 because those F2P games don't make any money off of the box price

Annihilation Banwave
    sprout sprout sprout
    2031 No.1 Draft Pick
    Pittsburgh Penguins

Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Quote Originally Posted by Shiyo View Post
    Wow literally can not release a single content update for 10 months 10m people will stayed sub to it. Blows my mind, don't understand the people who play WOW at all. FF14 is banking 100% on psychopaths(look at some of the achievements that take like..3 years to finish LOL), so they'll have their loyal followers of people who play the same game 24/7 since the day it releases to 10 years after it's been out(like most ff11 psychopaths still playing 24/7 everyday always logged in the game never turning it off, playing such a bad, outdated, HORRIBLE game lying to themselves that it's not bad and fun and they "play for friends"). No other game will be able to pull off a sub anymore tbh, FF14 is a rare exception because of psychopath fanbase(not the normal fanbase, hell people defended and played ff14 1.0 everyday 24/7 and have played FF14 everyday its been up and every beta..those kinda psychos) that will play the game no matter what happens or how much they charge and how badly they handle the game. Making FF14's story a continuation of FF11's WOTG is also a surefire way to steal all the FF11 psycho(not the normal ff11 players, but a lot of those will still play) players straight to FF14, or have them play/pay for both games at the same time. Not saying FF14 is a bad game, looks fun actually, but that's what they're banking on to keep the monthly sub around imo.
    Seriously dude why do you even play games? I don't think I've ever seen you post something positive about anything lol.

Chram
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

5 psychos.

Nidhogg
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Tsugaru Mifra
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Shiyo. Cut it the fuck out with the shitposting in threads about games you obviously have a grudge against. We've told you about the BRP rule before. It applies to the entire forum.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Quote Originally Posted by Meph View Post
    the FAQ says:

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING RIFT PLAYER
    You will only unlock the Storm Legion Expansion. You will NOT be receiving a free 30 days.
    The free 30 days is only designed for new accounts, if you have any concerns with this, you are always welcome to contact Trion's Support Team!
    It was working for existing accounts but looking into it people were taking advantage of it by making multiple Raptr accounts to get the free 30 days over and over.

So hard we fuck rocks
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Quote Originally Posted by xopher View Post
    Shiyo. Cut it the fuck out with the shitposting in threads about games you obviously have a grudge against. We've told you about the BRP rule before. It applies to the entire forum.

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

Quote Originally Posted by Alderaan View Post
    The 30 free days is not only for new accounts. My account was inactive for a year and still received the free month. It's probably designed for new and old inactive accounts.

I gave my free month a short play and was bored within a few hours. The new rogue soul is ridiculously good for solo stuff but i couldn't stand it. It's basically an engineer from GW2, which i also didn't enjoy. I also think I've just had enough of MMO's tying any sort of progress to dailies. Before i hear that dailies are not required, let's be real. Any sort of increase, even if it's +1 stat, is required.

With the collapse of multiple guilds, the top end raiding guilds have been reduced to 4; Addiction, Terrible Idea, Trinity and Favourtism. There are other top-end guilds but those 4 rank amongst the best.

Since it's summertime, a lot of guilds are struggling to meet their 20-22 man roster. If you're planning on coming back, do it on June 12th. The fresh new faces and returning members will have about 2 months to get geared before the suspected arrival of the next tier that will accompany 2 brand new 20man raiding in August, not including the release of the new 10man set for the above date.

Quote Originally Posted by Katlan View Post
    I frankly like GW2's model... While I personally have nothing against sub fees, B2P works very well for at least GW2. Here the developers at least get some money from everyone playing, and the cash shop is pure fluff stuff, but yet well integrated and thought out to get the collectors and casuals to drop some money for stuff. And if you don't want to drop money you can convert in game gold to cash shop currency. It really is the best of both worlds.

And lets me honest, when I was totally all over GW2 I'd buy all those mini pets, spend tons of money on the RNG stuff, and I guarantee I paid more for GW2 in 3 months than I paid for WoW in 1 year lol. And I know I'm not alone

So I'd personally be fine w/ every mmo now being B2P w/a smart cash shop like GW2, but I still won't believe that most games designed from the ground up as F2P will be smart like GW2 because those F2P games don't make any money off of the box price
    There's still too many games that simply go F2P because they're bad games Wizardry is a good example. Makes people have a hatred for "f2p" and think "f2p" is inferior to "p2p" just because they've seen a lot of BAD F2P games that are pay to win. Neverwinter has been added to my list of excellent F2P MMO's, it may have outdated graphics, but zones still look really cool/pretty and it's a pretty fun decent game. I hope Cryptic handles the game properly and actually fixes all the bugs, exploits, and balanced problems, while also adding content. So far it seems like the game is being ignored, but we'll see.

Rift is something I've been wanting to try for a while the $15/month turned me off from it instantly. I loved rift 1.0(not the pvp...worst pvp ever) but the game quickly became stale from lack of interesting content (5 mans | heroics | dailies | raids oh boy)and the classes were a complete mess.

Sandworm Swallows
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Shiyo View Post
    Wow I actually didn't understand how the game had a monthly sub for so long when MMO's much better release content faster, have better gameplay, actually have classes(rift doesn't have classes) and are free to play exist.

Did they ever give abilities/spells animations that aren't worse than FF14 1.0 or atari graphics?
    Not a single thing you said about Rift is true. Not a single thing.

Not defending the game, but man, you QQ over everything in this forum.