CustomTitle
    Banned for Duping
    HOT LITTLE SNATCH

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Jam Valesti
    FFXIV Server
    Leviathan

Is there any substantial content at the level cap outside of raiding? Not something that interests me and I know it's the main focus of the game. Just curious if there's more to do outside of PvP once you hit cap.

Bagel
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Fallaci Isalie
    FFXIV Server
    Ultros
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix

Quote Originally Posted by Kiarax View Post
    Is there any substantial content at the level cap outside of raiding? Not something that interests me and I know it's the main focus of the game. Just curious if there's more to do outside of PvP once you hit cap.
    No not really, I'd classify the majority of things to do a grind. I generally felt that a game like FFXI had a lot of PvE content to do everyday; this is not the case for Rift.

It's mainly just capping rep then grinding the same zone events over and over. There's supposed to be some new PvE thing with 2.3, but Trion's been mum on info there.

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

Quote Originally Posted by Kiarax View Post
    Like the others have said, there's not much to do besides the rep grind. Once you hit Lv.60, you can start working on PAs (akin to FFXI's merit system) to further boost your char's stats.

CustomTitle
    Banned for Duping
    HOT LITTLE SNATCH

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Jam Valesti
    FFXIV Server
    Leviathan

I'll keep an eye out for that then, thanks. Played back in beta but never ended up checking the game out once it released so considering giving it a shot with the F2P update. Just not sure it's worth grinding out to level cap just to immediately drop the game. Kind of curious about the PvP since I hear a lot of conflicting opinions on it, so maybe I'll give it a shot.

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Purrrfect Lee
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus

Almost certain I'll toss some casual time to it once this happens. Didn't really play much more than a month or so when it came out. I've also never done any raiding since I couldn't get into WoW, so that should be interesting. I do enjoy the few dungeons I've done in gw2, but I imagine they are rather different than the bigger raids in rift.

Clever and witty, all together the ladies love the Nekura
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix

It's definitely a fun game to check out casually (and by that I mean bursts of play ever few weeks, not playing thirty minutes every day), so it going F2P is good for that. I still have 164 days on my year long sub so I'm looking forward to taking advantage of those patron rewards during the brief periods of time I do play. :b

Chram
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

Quote Originally Posted by nekura View Post
    It's definitely a fun game to check out casually (and by that I mean bursts of play ever few weeks, not playing thirty minutes every day), so it going F2P is good for that. I still have 164 days on my year long sub so I'm looking forward to taking advantage of those patron rewards during the brief periods of time I do play. :b
    This right here. Why P2P is going out the wayside for different versions of F2P models; the bulk of people not having to feel obligated to hardcore play 1 game just because they are steadily paying. Hourly won't fly outside internet cafe culture areas, but being encouraged to drop some coin for something besides cosmetics for when you do want to put some time in. Im sure the plan is for publishers to share a player purchased currency between games for gamers to split their time between.

Ok, last time I played this game, here is how it worked:

A bunch of fun 5 man "heroics", instant adventure, some fun heroic rifts, some fun craft rifts, a lot of open world content that's fun, merit system that's really fun to grind out, "duo dungeons", lots of varied PVE basically and more stuff to do than just "raid raid raid". PVP was completely imbalanced and some classes countered others by basically existing(Clerics passively removing DOT's by existing without trying, making warlocks completely pointless in PVP), the gear gap being huge, 1 tier of gear was like a 2-3x DPS increase over the older tier, 1 month grind for PVP gear and being unable to pvp against people with better gear until you had equal gear,every form of CC DRing and CC's lasts like 3-5 seconds, disarms, silences, stuns, fears, all under a single DR so PVP was just about spamming your DPS rotation on someone like a PVE mob with no thought behind it, tab targetting, no dodging, auto-lock on skills, and class/gear is all that mattered in the outcome of the PVP fight. Every single battleground being horribly designed except the library, from 5vs5(or was it 10vs10?) zerg fests in the middle, to capture the flag on a map bigger than our universe(rogue basically being a free win with teleport spam), to arathi basin king of the hill on a giant, badly implmented map, to a 40vs40 map that to this day, I still don't know how it works(I don't think anyone does).

The fact that there's lots of open world content meant you had lots of world pvp, but since the PVP was bad, you were forced to do the worst part of the game..which sucked. Fantastic varied PVE though, but really badly designed classes, basically like 2 viable specs per calling and forced to spec a ceratin way like a warrior needed to be beastmaster to DPS, and a rogue needed to spec sab to DPS, and mages needed to be pyro to DPS because the difference between the "Best" dps class per calling and the others was like a 30-50% damage difference.

Has anything changed? Or still the same?

Well, the game has basically suffered to age as many might.

Leveling 1-50 revolves around traveling from hub to hub in a zone, grinding Instant Adventures (likely in groups no bigger than 5), or some combo of the two. If you're feeling frisky, you could maybe try to mooch off Great Hunt groups in Ashora, but as one might expect, you have your mix of people who don't care and others who pitch a fit because someone might be leveling in was "not intended" by the devs. Either way, you could try queuing for level appropriate dungeons as you go, but you may find yourself waiting forever (especially if DPS) due to lacking interest and how "quickly" one can get to SL zones.

Come 50, you've still got the quest and IA grind, but you've also got the old content like Chronicles (solo or duo "dungeons" that technically aren't worth doing for reasons other than achievements now) as well as the old dungeons, but again, they're not really worth doing due to SL gear soon outclassing even some of the old raid stuff. Of course, SL brought its own dungeon lines between 50-60, with intended level ranges and then "Expert" modes for people at 60 with a specific gear minimum. For the most part, they're just the same dungeons, but maybe with an added boss or two with some maybe gaining extra moves. Really, the queue is your enemy here if you're not a tank or healer, and trying to gear for those while leveling is basically impossible from quest rewards, which means focusing on tank gear from dungeons will leave you suffering when you're solo. It's an old problem I experience when EI was launched during the 50 cap, but I guess Trion doesn't "care enough" to streamline the leveling process for tanks to avoid a glut of DPS in queue (even if people generally find DPSing more fun). Grinding PA is pretty much just that, but fortunately you get it alongside EXP while going 50-60. Unfortunately, "serious" guilds will demand you have a certain PA equivalence, as well as Conquest power (A form of PvP) maxed so you get the HP buffs. Unfortunately, CP decays over time, which means you have to keep doing Conquest if you want to keep those buffs. Trion also pretty much got the bright idea of locking any meaningful trinkets to PvP, forcing people to do that if they either want to be competitive in PvE or just not have a gimp item in the slot, if any.

SL questing is kind of ho hum, with the only real stand out portion being the Tower of Dawn line in Kingsward, but even the final fight there is a dud. The various types of activities (PvE, PvP, Raiding, etc.) tend to limit you to one or two decent builds due to the redesign of the soul system with SL's launch. Role slots, in consequence, can be a bit tight if you try to do much. I'm also of the mind the requirement of macros or even add-ons convolutes the process a bit too much, sometimes resulting in overly long rotations that just aren't fun to play for long periods. Of course, that usually gets parroted as the "skill" of raiding with a dash of everyone else just mooching off someone else's guide for a given encounter. Either way, there's only one PvP server, so in general don't expect much open world PvP. Come 60, you get a new solo Chronicle that, IMO, is butchered by the second half of it in execution. You get expert mods of the 51-60 dungeons, and eventual 10/20-man raids. If you do every quest in every zone, you'll still have a fair bit of grinding to do for the SL factions via IAs or dailies. Getting Torvan rep, or closing Great Hunts, is pretty much the epitome of grind running from tear to tear hoping someone can open rank 4 or 5 rifts for 600-700 rep per when I think you need something like 120k rep from start to finish. Though, I guess we should be glad Trion doubled those rates from old values back in January or so.

I dunno, I'm harsh on the game because it's "so close" to doing certain things right, but then the trappings of MMO-dom rear their head via RNG, time sink, and silly prestige. Seeing them joking about a vanity mount being stupid rare from the Hellbug rifts on a recent livestream just kind of solidified the fact there are still some a-holes behind the scenes calling the shots. I want to feel like going F2P will force them to be more honest about who they develop content for (aka, not the 15% or less of the hardcore base), but they could also easily fuck things up. At the very least, I can poke my head in from time to time without feeling guilty about my money going toward things I don't enjoy.

Certified Enhancement Shaman
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Meph Taru
    FFXIV Server
    Diabolos

I got the hellbug mount from the first fire-rift I did with my raptr-char
    sup first rift in 16 months

Which tier? Think there's a green, blue, and purple, with the last having a unique look.

Bagel
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Fallaci Isalie
    FFXIV Server
    Ultros
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix

Quote Originally Posted by Shiyo View Post
    stuff
    I don't play on Seastone, so I don't know how much world PvP is left. I would imagine that it will become more active once people return. I've seen a lot of posts and messages from people saying they're coming back in a few weeks.

PvE class balance is a lot better these days. When I see people whining they are either complaining about some 500DPS difference or are bad at their class and blame that. Every calling has multiple DPS/Healing roles that are optimal for certain fights so it becomes a matter of choice which you carry. I'm a main spec DPS Rogue and I carry around 4 different DPS specs; I use all 4 of them regularly as I go through raids and dungeons. Clerics carry around at least 2 DPS specs with a variety of healing ones, mages can bring 4. Warriors are the only class right now where they have a "1 spec to rule them all" type of thing right now, but that has always been the case for them. Countless times have developers tried to bring Paragon into the equation but their other competing spec has always been too good at what it does (common trait is very versatile AoE and ST damage with ranged fillers for short disconnects). You played when it was Champ/Beastmaster, with each subsequent major patch their main spec has changed as well; Para/Champ during HK, 51Champ during ID, and now Riftblade during SL.

Thus far I have played Rogue, Warrior and Mage during SL and as far as PvE is concerned they are all fun to play. I can't comment too much on PvP because I don't play it too often to really care. They have fixed a number of those annoying PvP "exploits" since you last played as well though. Port Scion is still the worst warfront ever made however.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ramuh
    WoW Realm
    Kilrogg

Does this game still have the debuff if you get hit from behind? If so then I don't want to touch it w/a 10 foot pole lol

Let's go Red Sox!
    BG Level

I had a level-capped Mage, and a 40-something Cleric. If this shit becomes free, I could see playing it again just because it's free.

Bagel
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Fallaci Isalie
    FFXIV Server
    Ultros
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix

Quote Originally Posted by Katlan View Post
    Does this game still have the debuff if you get hit from behind? If so then I don't want to touch it w/a 10 foot pole lol
    No it doesn't.

Old Merits
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

[link deleted]

Looks like things aren't going too well over there.

The trend in every gaming house atm, after a big release expect layoffs. Its sad. definitely shows Defiance didnt do nearly as well as they wanted also

Like a boss yo
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Odin
    WoW Realm
    Mal'Ganis

More than likely anyone that got laid off was from Defiance. I highly doubt anyone from the Rift team got let go...

Was another layoff spree after SL launch, so yeah, probably Defiance-heavy with a dash of most being testers and probably artists.