+ Reply to Thread
    blax n gunz
    BG Level

Diablo III gets new game director

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/blog/9773...o-iii-6-5-2013

RIP Jay Wilson

In the year since Diablo III launched, we've made good strides, but there are still things we can improve and new surprises in store for everyone. As Travis mentioned earlier, itemization is one of our big focuses for Diablo III moving forward. We want items to feel more meaningful, and we want players to be excited about the next loot drop. Our goal is to make the loot experience more enjoyable for ALL players. This includes reducing the amount of loot that drops while improving the overall quality, introducing targeted Legendaries, and giving players ways to directly customize their character's armor—both visually and mechanically. We're also looking into ways to reduce the impact of the Auction House. While we think the feature does provide a lot of value, it shouldn’t feel like the end-all-be-all force driving character progression.
    I might just reinstall.

Old news. Jay was gone in January.

Also the game is fantastic and has been for a long time. Reinstall at your leisure.

blax n gunz
    BG Level

The news is his replacement, not Wilson. It's encouraging that the guy who made the console version is now in charge of the entire thing.

Considering the console version isn't even out yet, why does that encourage you?

His introduction letter is just reiterating the public vision that they have been going over for months.

blax n gunz
    BG Level

Maybe I'm just a sucker and they're not really doing good things to the game for the console version, but I cheer on any diminished role for the AH in gearing, item stats that influence spec decisions (just like they used to in D2), QOL improvements like the 'identify all' button, etc. In general any change that makes the loot rewards not feel like wasted time will greatly restore the 'point' of grinding out rares in Diablo III. When the new guy in charge says all the right things it makes me excited for the first expansion, as well. It's rare that a AAA publisher actually restores good will and I think it's worth mentioning.

OH I definitely agree that they're heading in the right direction! It's just not news

The game is fantastic, and I am super pumped for the expansion.

2600klub
    I donated 5 bucks and all I got was this shitty title from Zet

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Quote Originally Posted by aurik View Post
    OH I definitely agree that they're heading in the right direction! It's just not news

The game is fantastic, and I am super pumped for the expansion.
    This. I don't think it ever deserved the grief it got, but it really has improved a ton in the last 6 months or so.

Ridill
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Correction View Post
    Maybe I'm just a sucker and they're not really doing good things to the game for the console version, but I cheer on any diminished role for the AH in gearing, item stats that influence spec decisions (just like they used to in D2), QOL improvements like the 'identify all' button, etc. In general any change that makes the loot rewards not feel like wasted time will greatly restore the 'point' of grinding out rares in Diablo III. When the new guy in charge says all the right things it makes me excited for the first expansion, as well. It's rare that a AAA publisher actually restores good will and I think it's worth mentioning.
    literally every single thing you listed are things jay wilson publicly stated he wanted for the game not long before they moved him to titan

blax n gunz
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Plow View Post
    literally every single thing you listed are things jay wilson publicly stated he wanted for the game not long before they moved him to titan
    and?

Ironing this Thread
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Boyiee Star
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    WoW Realm
    Kel'Thuzad

I didn't play the game since about a month after release until a few weeks ago and it is fun again, but convincing the friends I played with to pick it back up is impossible. It sucks to pub in this game, at least to me.

There really have been some good changes and it is more fun than it was.

That's one of the big reasons I'm psyched for the expansion. It'll give everyone a reason to come back. Honestly that saved D2 as well: classic was really broken bad at hell in 1.04 and prior, but they seemed to figure it out just in time for LoD.

Quote Originally Posted by Arkanna View Post
    This. I don't think it ever deserved the grief it got, but it really has improved a ton in the last 6 months or so.
    It was a good game, but it was not a Diablo. It's fun to level up characters to the level cap, then you quit because inferno and grinding items wasn't fun or designed properly at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Shiyo View Post
    It was a good game, but it was not a Diablo. It's fun to level up characters to the level cap, then you quit because inferno and grinding items wasn't fun or designed properly at all.
    Maybe this was true in 1.03, but it's significantly better since with the introduction of monster power, the rebalancing of monster damage/character passives to encourage offense, the nerfing of un-fun mods like invulnerable minions, reflect damage, shielding, the introduction of paragon levels, the changes to incentivize party play and more.

Ridill
    BG Level

It's a choice now, and people feel like if they're not playing a game on the hardest difficulty they possibly can then they're doing it wrong or something.

It's not like MP is the only way it's similar to d2... you've always been more than welcome to never step foot in inferno and have a jolly ole time smashing shit on hell.

(Which is what we did in HC pre-1.04 and had a grand time)

Quote Originally Posted by aurik View Post
    Maybe this was true in 1.03, but it's significantly better since with the introduction of monster power, the rebalancing of monster damage/character passives to encourage offense, the nerfing of un-fun mods like invulnerable minions, reflect damage, shielding, the introduction of paragon levels, the changes to incentivize party play and more.
    Yes, it's better, is it diablo? No, the AH still matters too much, gear is still all resist/crit/main stat(oh look an upgrade!! 1% MORE CRIT 30 all resist more and 10 more dex WOO SO EXCITING!), and drops are hilariously low meaning you won't ever get any actual upgrades playing the game./

Loot is still boring, AH still matters too much, and itemization is that of a MMO, meaning it's boring as fuck +10 stat upgrades that aren't fun. Yes, they said they're going to make diablo2 like items where you can create completely new builds off an item, which is cool, but that hasn't happened yet. The game will be fixed almost a year and a half, if not longer after release and become a good game, but that doesn't change the fact the game was not Diablo at release.

It's not like MP is the only way it's similar to d2... you've always been more than welcome to never step foot in inferno and have a jolly ole time smashing shit on hell.
    In diablo3, hell is incredibly boring and easy, the loot is vastly inferior and because of this you can't really just sit in hell most of the time. I was really bad at video games and like 11 when I played diablo2 and spend most of my time in NM doing meph, and he dropped AMAZING items like shaftstop, occy, travs, that +MF armor, etc. NM was still pretty challenging unless you had godly uber gear, hell in Diablo3 gets easy once you get like 100k gold of gear off the AH or even play for like 10 mins in hell @_@.

The itemization and any item below ilxl 63(i think that was the level?) being completely useless and so much weaker/inferior makes doing anything but inferno a waste of time, we don't have unique items with special stats like damage reduction, all stats, and other nice stuff making lower level items still amazing in the highest tier of buiilds. I can't build up a good amount of money, or trade for better stuff farming hell, like I could farming NM in Diablo2. I can barely progress my character at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Shiyo View Post
    Yes, it's better, is it diablo? No, the AH still matters too much, gear is still all resist/crit/main stat(oh look an upgrade!! 1% MORE CRIT 30 all resist more and 10 more dex WOO SO EXCITING!), and drops are hilariously low meaning you won't ever get any actual upgrades playing the game./

Loot is still boring, AH still matters too much, and itemization is that of a MMO, meaning it's boring as fuck +10 stat upgrades that aren't fun. Yes, they said they're going to make diablo2 like items where you can create completely new builds off an item, which is cool, but that hasn't happened yet. The game will be fixed almost a year and a half, if not longer after release and become a good game, but that doesn't change the fact the game was not Diablo at release.

In diablo3, hell is incredibly boring and easy, the loot is vastly inferior and because of this you can't really just sit in hell most of the time. I was really bad at video games and like 11 when I played diablo2 and spend most of my time in NM doing meph, and he dropped AMAZING items like shaftstop, occy, travs, that +MF armor, etc. NM was still pretty challenging unless you had godly uber gear, hell in Diablo3 gets easy once you get like 100k gold of gear off the AH or even play for like 10 mins in hell @_@.

The itemization and any item below ilxl 63(i think that was the level?) being completely useless and so much weaker/inferior makes doing anything but inferno a waste of time, we don't have unique items with special stats like damage reduction, all stats, and other nice stuff making lower level items still amazing in the highest tier of buiilds. I can't build up a good amount of money, or trade for better stuff farming hell, like I could farming NM in Diablo2. I can barely progress my character at all.
    lol softcore mentality

Siralin

I don't think that opinion applies only to softcore. The "oh look an upgrade!! 1% MORE CRIT 30 all resist more and 10 more dex WOO SO EXCITING!" still applies to hardcore no matter how you look at it. Dismissing the argument as softcore is a bit silly.

The Defense is ready, Your Honor
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lord Longhaft
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus
    WoW Realm
    Mug'thol

Its fucking Aurik, lol. Ignore him and move on.

Give me back my awesome mods like Crushing Blow, Open Wounds, ect., and I'll throw money in the kitty. Otherwise, fuck off, Blizzard. The only "softcore" thing about the game is the homogenized approach to stats and building a character that Blizzard took to appeal to console kiddies, which is 100% confirmed by this point.

"The Halo and Madden crowd doesn't know what these fucking words are! Dumb this shit down for them! We need money!"